PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At Celtics Previews

duncan228
02-07-2009, 07:57 PM
San Antonio (33-15) at Boston (42-10) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009020802&prov=ap)
Game info: 1:00 pm EST Sun Feb 8, 2009
TV: ABC
By Kate Hedlin

The San Antonio Spurs will have a well-rested lineup when they visit the defending NBA champions.

With four of their top five scorers having not played in five days, the Spurs will look to end a three-game losing streak against the Boston Celtics as the last two NBA champions meet on Sunday.

San Antonio (33-15) hasn’t played since a 104-96 loss to Denver on Tuesday in which Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Michael Finley and Manu Ginobili all sat out after the Spurs’ stars played heavy minutes in an overtime win at Golden State the night before.

While Duncan, Parker and Finley were just getting extra rest, Ginobili had the night off because of a bruised hip. Coach Gregg Popovich said he expects Ginobili to play against the Celtics (42-10).

The Spurs, who have completed two games of an eight-game road trip, hope the extra layoff will help them hand Boston just its second loss in 15 games.

“I think it was a good decision for us,” Duncan said Friday. “Hopefully it pays off for us.”

San Antonio has lost three straight to Boston after winning the previous 18 matchups. Duncan, who the Spurs took with the first pick of the 1997 draft after winning the lottery over the Celtics, had won all 17 career games versus Boston before March 17, 2007.

Duncan and the Spurs will need to be at their best on Sunday against the surging Celtics. The defending NBA champs, who have the third-best record in the league behind the Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers, rebounded from their one-point overtime loss to the Lakers on Thursday with a 110-100 win over the New York Knicks on Friday.

Paul Pierce scored 26 points, Ray Allen added 22 and Kevin Garnett had 15 points and 11 rebounds in his second game back after missing the previous two with the flu. Boston rallied after being down by four points at the end of the third quarter.

“It was a big win,” said Pierce, who is averaging 28.0 points in the last four games. “I thought we were mentally and physically drained coming into this game, especially after the tough loss. It took us a while. We got off to a slow start, but this team continues to find ways to win.”

The Celtics, who are holding opponents to 92 points per game—second-fewest in the NBA—have given up 100 in five of their last seven games. Their defense might have a better showing against the Spurs. Neither Boston nor San Antonio has broken 100 points in the last four matchups between the two.

Pierce and the Celtics are 24-3 at home this season, with all three losses coming against teams from the Western Conference (Denver, Houston and the Lakers) by an average of 4.7 points.

“It’ll be a good challenge for us,” San Antonio’s Roger Mason said.

Mason led the Spurs with 26 points on Tuesday as San Antonio had its four-game winning streak snapped. The Spurs had also won eight of their previous nine.

While Popovich was looking to give his players some needed rest during the extended road trip, he’s hoping the time off didn’t slow down Ginobili’s recent surge. Ginobili, who missed the first month of the season because of an ankle injury, is averaging 15.8 points this season after a career-best 19.5 in 2007-08. He’s averaging 28.0 points in his last three games, going 35-of-36 at the free-throw line during that stretch.

“In a season where I’m not shooting well, I need to get some easy baskets,” said Ginobili, who scored a season-high 32 points on Monday against the Warriors.

Notes

Spurs:

San Antonio lost the season series to the Nuggets 2-1, the first time the Spurs have lost a season series to Denver since 1987-88 (5-1). ... G-F Malik Hairston scored his first points as an NBA player, finishing with 12 points in 20 minutes. ... San Antonio is 1-1 on its annual "Rodeo Road Trip," which runs eight games. San Antonio won't be home until February 24.

Celtics:

Boston had its 12-game winning streak snapped in Thursday's 110-109 overtime loss to the rival Los Angeles Lakers, who swept the season series with the Celtics. The losses mean that the Lakers would own the tiebreaker if the teams were to end the regular season tied and meet again in the NBA Finals. That emotional loss seemed to have affected Boston's play against the Knicks, who led by four points after three. The fourth quarter was a different story, as Boston shot 14-of-18 from the field, including 5-of-6 from the arc. ... G Eddie House scored eight points in the final four minutes, six of which came on 3-pointers from the right corner after G Ray Allen fouled out. ... Allen scored 11 of his 22 points in the decisive fourth.

Team Stat Leaders

Tony Parker SA 20.7
Paul Pierce Bos 19.6

Rebounds

Tim Duncan SA 10.4
Kevin Garnett Bos 8.9

Assists

Tony Parker SA 6.6
Rajon Rondo Bos 8.2

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

San Antonio 33-15 1st Southwest / 2nd West 97.6 94.5 Road 15-8 Lost 1 8-2

Boston 42-10 1st Atlantic / 2nd East 101.6 92.0 Home 24-3 Won 1 9-1

duncan228
02-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Kevin Garnett's back may be a setback to his comeback (http://www.projo.com/celtics/content/bkn_celtics_garnett_08_02-08-09_FJD8CGT_v2.271bcc9.html)
BY Robert Lee

BOSTON – Make no mistake. Kevin Garnett is back.

Sort of.

The 6-foot-10, 253-pound, 12-time All-Star forward is fully recovered from the flu that kept him out of two games last week.

His back, well, that may be another story.

The Celtics ran their offense early and often through Garnett in Friday’s 110-100 victory over the New York Knicks. He took 12 shots in his first game back – a 110-109 overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. He scored 16 points and had 6 rebounds.

Against the Knicks, Garnett took 12 shots in the opening half alone. He finished with 15 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 assists, and was involved in nearly play down the stretch less than 24 hours after sitting out the final 9:22 of the game and then overtime against the Lakers.

With the flu bug out of his system, Garnett (16.3 points, 8.9 rebounds) is tackling another problem heading into Sunday’s matchup against San Antonio.

In the third quarter on a fast break against the Knicks, Garnett was hit from behind on a dunk attempt by New York’s Al Harrington. He went sailing into a cameraman on the baseline who kneed him in the back.

Garnett spent a few moments on the floor writhing in pain while holding his lower-back before getting up and returning to the game.

"It felt like we had momentum in the game and the juices were running," Garnett told reporters after the game. "I kept it loose. I don’t think it affected me too much. I tried not to think about it. Actually it doesn’t hurt, but [Saturday] it will probably be a different story. But I’m proud of myself for finishing the game. I thought we did a pretty good job at the end of the game of making it simple."

Coach Doc Rivers gave the banged-up Celtics Saturday off. Along with Garnett’s sore back, several other Celtics are battling flu symptoms, Rivers said, including captain Paul Pierce.

Rivers said Garnett has a love for the game that is second to none, so when he found out last week that Garnett had the flu the night before the Celtics were going to face Garnett’s former team, the Minnesota Timberwolves, Rivers never thought Garnett would miss the game.

"I just assumed that if anybody is bigger than the flu, it’s Kevin," Rivers said.

Garnett, after all, doesn’t like to miss games. And he especially didn’t want to miss an opportunity to play against the team that drafted him fifth overall in the 1995 NBA Draft.

Garnett has only missed more than 11 games in a season once in his 14-year career.

So for Garnett to miss two games last week "shows that he [was] really sick," Rivers said.

During his absence, Garnett said it was "very tough to watch the team. Probably more than anything, it’s frustrating. I never like to miss games. I’ve always said if I can walk, I can play. It tells you what kind of days I had."

The Celtics were able to beat Minnesota and Philadelphia without him and the intensity he brings to the court, but even though Garnett played well against Los Angeles in his return, the Celtics couldn’t beat the defending Western Conference champions.

"Pretty rough couple of days for me," Garnett said afterwards. "I got in and did a little cardio and really pushed myself to a limit and went to a point where I felt comfortable. Tonight, I didn’t even think about it. Doc told me to verbally comment or let him know, to communicate to him how I felt. I felt pretty strong. My communication with my teammates was pretty strong. I had energy."

Garnett was shocked at some of the fouls that were called on him in the Lakers game.

"Assessing the game these days, I don’t know what a foul is," Garnett said. "What's an All-Star? What's a bad call or good call? I guess you go out there and just play. At times you tend to put refs in situations to make calls, and when they’re not called I guess you got to play through it."

Garnett wasn’t at full strength against L.A., but he looked like he had a lot more energy against the Knicks.

He hopes that he is back at full strength Sunday when the Celtics take on the San Antonio Spurs, but may be a game-time decision depending on how his back feels.

The Celtics certainly hope Garnett can play and play well against the Spurs, at least on the defensive end of the floor. Kendrick Perkins will need all the help he can get to contain San Antonio All-Star Tim Duncan.

xellos88330
02-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I cannot wait for this game. Someone freeze me and thaw me in time for the game. Granted I would die, but at least I will have the best seat in the house.

xellos88330
02-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Kevin Garnett's back may be a setback to his comeback (http://www.projo.com/celtics/content/bkn_celtics_garnett_08_02-08-09_FJD8CGT_v2.271bcc9.html)

Coach Doc Rivers gave the banged-up Celtics Saturday off. Along with Garnett’s sore back, several other Celtics are battling flu symptoms, Rivers said, including captain Paul Pierce.

Hmm... I guess talking alot of trash spreads the flu. Either that or KG has been kissing the other players. :p:

honestfool84
02-07-2009, 08:08 PM
spurs by four.

phyzik
02-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I completely agreed with Pop resting his players against Denver, but now they have no excuses not to play the ENTIRE game to try for the win.

I honestly dont know how I will feel if Pop decides to tank it at the begining of the 4th like he did against the Lakers. If they are up by 20, fine, but if its within 15 or so I might get a little pissed if he sits them. Im not saying its going to come down to that, I fully expect the Spurs to win, but if it does he better keep them in the game to teach them a lesson.

duncan228
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Sunday: Spurs (33-15) at Celtics (42-10) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Sunday_Spurs_33-15_at_Celtics_42-10.html)
Express-News

Time: Noon
TV: ABC
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - CELTICS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 9 Rajon Rondo (6-1, 3rd yr)
Celtics view up-and-coming Rondo as a Tony Parker starter kit.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 20 Ray Allen (6-5, 13th yr)
David Stern made Allen third Celtics All-Star this season, joining Garnett and Pierce.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 34 Paul Pierce (6-7, 11th yr)
DNP vs. Denver snapped Finley’s string of 284 games played.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 5 Kevin Garnett (6-11, 14th yr)
Duncan averaged just 16 points in two meetings with Boston last season.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 43 Kendrick Perkins (6-10, 6th yr)
Perkins whistled for nine technicals this season, but just one since November.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 7th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G, 6-6, 1st yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
7 Fabricio Oberto, C, 6-10, 4th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr

CELTICS RESERVES

42 Tony Allen, G, 6-4, 5th yr
11 Glen Davis, F, 6-9, 2nd yr
50 Eddie House, G, 6-1, 9th yr
26 Patrick O’Bryant, C, 7-0, 3rd yr
0 Leon Powe, F, 6-8, 3rd yr
13 Gabe Pruitt, G, 6-4, 3rd yr
12 Bill Walker, G, 6-6, 1st yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Celtics: Doc Rivers

INJURIES

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (right ankle surgery) is out.

Celtics: Brian Scalabrine (mild concussion) is day-to-day.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Jacque Vaughn.

Celtics: Sam Cassell, J.R. Giddens, Scalabrine.

NOTABLE

Spurs have lost three straight against Celtics after winning 18 in a row between 1990 and 2007. ... Celtics swept series against Spurs last season for first time since 1988-89 season. ... Celtics did not face Spurs with full complement of All-Stars last season — Kevin Garnett missed first meeting, Ray Allen missed the second. ... Spurs are 13-4 since Jan. 1, the second-best mark in the league.

- Jeff McDonald

spursdotcom
02-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Here is our Three Things to Know about the Celtics with Coach Bud - http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/090208.html

:toast

duncan228
02-07-2009, 11:23 PM
What bettors need to know: Sunday NBA on ABC (http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=167938&t=0)
By Ashton Grewal

San Antonio Spurs at Boston Celtics (-8, 189)

Head to head

Boston won and covered in both meetings with the Spurs last season including a 98-90 home win without Kevin Garnett. The Big Ticket got the best of Tim Duncan in the March matchup in San Antonio. Garnett had 22 points and nine rebounds while holding Duncan to 10 points in 35 minutes.

Learning from mistakes

The Celtics’ loss to the Lakers on Thursday didn’t faze the club like it did after the Christmas Day game. After dropping the holiday contest 83-92, the Green Guys went on to lose six of their next seven games. The feat was remarkable considering Boston had won 19 in a row before the setback in Los Angeles.

This time Doc Rivers’ boys beat the Knicks and covered the number in their follow-up performance. Rivers says his team is playing better now than it did during the 19-game streak.

Take a load off fanny

Spurs coach Greg Popovich raised a few eyebrows across the league when he rested his four best players Tuesday against Denver. Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley and Duncan all watched from the bench as the Spurs fell 104-96 to the Nuggets even though Ginobili (hip contusion) was the only player with an injury listed.

“Pop is always big about resting,” Parker told the San Antonio Express-News. “It wasn’t that big of a surprise. We trust his judgement.”

Even though San Antonio is in the midst of its annual rodeo road trip, the club should be in great shape. The no-show at Denver and the four-day break between that game and Sunday’s in Boston gives the senior-laden squad ample time to charge its battery.

Flu bug

Kevin Garnett looked sluggish in his second game back from the flu and his All-Star teammates have had to deal with similar symptoms. Ray Allen was a game-time decision for Thursday and Rivers said Pierce was feeling a bit fatigued during the Friday match at New York.

duncan228
02-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Celtics host Spurs on Sunday afternoon in their final home game until Feb. 27 (http://www.enterprisenews.com/sports/x1536016995/Celtics-host-Spurs-on-Sunday-afternoon-in-their-final-home-game-until-Feb-27)
San Antonio marks C’s last home game until end of month
By Jim Fenton

BOSTON — They will walk out of the TD Banknorth Garden late this afternoon and not return for nearly three weeks.

The Boston Celtics will have their parquet floor stored away until Feb. 27 as the team leaves Causeway Street for an 18-day stretch that will feature six road games before and after the NBA All-Star break.

Before departing the scene for a good chunk of February, though, the Celtics have one last piece of business to take care of at the Garden.

For the third Sunday in a row, the Celtics are hosting a matinee game, this one against the San Antonio Spurs (1 p.m., TV: Channels 5 and 6; radio: WEEI-850 AM).

After that, the Celtics play two road games this week, get six days off because of the All-Star break, then play four more games out west.

When the Celtics get back to the Garden on Feb. 27, a little more than one quarter of the season will remain, and 13 of their remaining 23 games will be at home.

“I did look at the schedule,’’ said guard Ray Allen. “(The road games) eat up a lot of the month. Sometimes I do look forward to those months because it allows you to get through the schedule and you’re not ho-humming.’’

Today’s game will be the Celtics’ third at home in eight days this month, but the only one left after that is a visit by the Indiana Pacers on the next-to-last day of February.

“The schedule’s going to be what it’s going to be,’’ said Paul Pierce. “There’s no way around the schedule. We’re going to have to take this show on the road and take care of business.’’

The Spurs will have the Celtics’ full attention before that happens, as Boston meets a team is 33-15 and began Saturday night tied for second in the Western Conference with the Denver Nuggets.

There was once a time when the Spurs owned the Celtics, winning 18 consecutive games and 24 of 25. That all changed in the 2006-07 season when the lowly Celtics stunned San Antonio, 91-85, on the road on St. Patrick’s Day, and Boston swept the Spurs last year during its championship season to make it three straight wins.

San Antonio, which is playing eight road games in a row because the rodeo is occupying its building, has not played since a loss on Tuesday to the Nuggets. In that game, Coach Gregg Popovich elected to give some of his key players a night off.

While Manu Ginobili was out with a sore hip, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Michael Finley were rested, 24 hours after the Spurs got past the Golden Sate Warriors in overtime.

The move raised some questions around the NBA, but Popovich was looking at the big picture in sitting four of the team’s five top scorers in order to rest them.

“I didn’t know it was a big deal,’’ Duncan told reporters on Friday. “If it was, I understand why, but I think it was a good decision for us, and, hopefully, it pays off for us.’’

The Celtics will be back home for the first time since losing a one-point overtime thriller to the Los Angeles Lakers Thursday night.

Boston quickly recovered with a win over the New York Knicks on Friday night, giving the Celtics seven straight road victories.

Rivers fined for comments:

Rivers was fined $15,000 by the NBA Saturday “for verbal abuse of game officials” following the Celtics’ overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday night ... Celtics rookie J.R. Giddens, sent back to the NBDL earlier this week, played his first game on Friday night since rejoining the Utah Flash. Giddens had 13 points, three rebounds and three steals in 31 minutes off the bench in a 113-105 win over the Los Angeles D-Fenders. He played 13 games for Utah earlier this season and has yet to play for the Celtics. … After today, the Celtics are idle until facing old friend James Posey and the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night. … The Spurs have won eight of their last 10 games and are 15-8 on the road. … At 42-10, the Celtics are a game ahead of last year’s pace when they won 66 games.

duncan228
02-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Match-Up of the Afternoon: Popovich vs. Rivers (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)

duncan228
02-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Spurs creating a Hub-bub (http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2009_02_08_Spurs_creating_a_Hub-bub:_Doc_Rivers__Celtics_recognize_San_Antonio_pow er/srvc=home&position=recent)
Doc Rivers, Celtics recognize San Antonio power
By Steve Bulpett

The Spurs have a great fan base. The San Antonio community has supported them since their days in the ABA and followed them from the old Hemisfair to the Alamodome to the AT&T Center.

Well, no offense to the good people of South Texas, but the Spurs’ biggest fans may be right here in Boston. Certainly their tallest.

“They’re tough,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said of today’s opponent. “It’s amazing. Everybody talks about the Lakers. I’m amazed that people keep forgetting about the San Antonio Spurs. The healthy San Antonio Spurs.”

The ones with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker - and Manu Ginobili getting further removed from the ankle issues that may well have kept it from being Spurs-Celtics in last year’s Finals.

The Celts know that could have been an even more difficult series for them.

“I think if they’d have made it, it could have been a tougher Finals,” C’s center Kendrick Perkins said. “They’ve been a great team for a while. You can’t ever count the Spurs out. They’re going to come with it. They’re a championship team. They’ve been there before and they’ve added a few pieces. They’re a better team.”

Rivers doesn’t want to think of how difficult the postseason would have been with San Antonio on the dance card.

“Obviously you’ll take who you got,” he said, “but looking at it you’ve got the Lakers with Kobe (Bryant) and you’ve got the Spurs with (coach) Gregg Popovich, Tim Duncan . . . It would have been a brutal matchup either way - because of their defense, too. They make it a tough game for you. For us, it would have been a brutal four series - Atlanta and Cleveland’s defense, Detroit’s defense and San Antonio’s defense. It would have been a hell of a series.”

Interestingly, Popovich called the Celtics “the best defensive team we’ll face all year.” But the Celts return the compliment and figure they’ll be watching the Spurs go deep into the postseason.

“They’re coming back,” Paul Pierce said. “They’re a healthier ballclub than a year ago. Who knows what would have happened if they went into the Lakers series 100 percent? You can never underestimate the heart of a champion. This team, you know they’re going to bounce back when you’ve got a Hall of Fame player in Tim Duncan and two great All-Star players in Ginobili and Parker.

“A lot of people are talking about the Lakers, but San Antonio’s going to be right there, I think, in the end.”

Perkins is among those who believe people are crazy to leave the Spurs out of the conversation.

“For sure,” he said. “I say that every day. I think they’re one of the elite teams in the league. And they know how to win in the playoffs. They went all the way to the Western Conference finals last year and weren’t even healthy, so you’ve got to expect them to come strong this year. I think they’ve got a better team now that they’ve got all their guys healthy, so they’re going to be a force to reckon with. You can never count the Spurs out.”

Making it even more interesting is that you’ll have the last two NBA champions on the Garden floor this afternoon.

“Whenever you play them, it’s a great game,” Rivers said. “It’s very much like the Lakers. They’re just a great team, a great franchise. They’ve been good for a long time. They get their due but not enough.

“They’re just a fundamentally sound, great basketball team. Tim’s playing terrific. Ginobili’s getting back. And Tony Parker’s just on another level.”

And if that doesn’t sound an alarm throughout the league, there’s always the numerology.

“Well, you’ve got to remember it’s that odd year. You know what they’ve done in the odd years,” said Pierce, referring to the fact San Antonio has won the championship in 2003, ’05 and ’07 - not to mention 1999. “They seem to come around in those years, so this is that year again and a lot of people haven’t been talking about them. They’ve kind of been flying under the radar, but, hey, when you’ve got that type of championship experience you can’t overlook them.”

No chance of that with their Boston fan club.

Spork KIller
02-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Celtics 190
Spurms 56

wijayas
02-08-2009, 08:23 AM
duncan228, thanks for the postings! It is amazing how you manage to get a handful of these articles. I am spoiled. I don't have to go anywhere else for any news about the Spurs. I am sure many people must have thanked you for your great work. Mine is the same.

Rapper
02-08-2009, 08:24 AM
duncan228, thanks for the postings! .

wijayas
02-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Celtics 190
Spurms 56

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
Your hate for the Spurs is surely amusing. I hope you have a life other than hating the Spurs. :toast

Rapper
02-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Ginobili, Mason

It's time to kick Celtics's ass

Rapper
02-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Spurs 100
Celtics 99

Mason, we need your clutch shots

shelshor
02-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Referee Assignments