PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Mason Says Bonner Got Robbed With 3-Point Snub

duncan228
02-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Mason says Bonner got robbed with 3-point snub (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mason_says_Bonner_got_robbed_with_3-point_snub.html)
Jeff McDonald

BOSTON — Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. is happy the NBA chose him to participate in the 3-point shootout during All-Star Weekend later this month. He just wishes he had some more company from San Antonio.

In the days leading up to the selection, Mason campaigned for center Matt Bonner — he of the league's second-best 3-point percentage — to join him.

There is no precedent for two players from the same team competing in the same 3-point contest, so perhaps it wasn't so surprising that, when the field was announced last week, Bonner's name was not listed.

“I think he deserved to be in it just as much as anybody,” Mason said. “I would have loved for them to have two Spurs in there.”

Set to join Mason in Phoenix are two-time winner Jason Kopono of Toronto, Indiana's Danny Granger, Orlando's Rashard Lewis, Atlanta's Mike Bibby and Miami's Daequan Cook.

Cook's inclusion is the real head-scratcher. At the time of his selection, he ranked 31st in 3-point percentage.

Bonner, who is shooting 48.9 percent from beyond the arc, has accepted his snub in typical Bonner fashion. He jokes that he will stage some sort of protest at All-Star Weekend, which he says may or may not involve streaking.

When told such an act of uncivil disobedience might negate him from consideration from future contests, Bonner laughed.

“They're never going to invite me anyway,” he said.

Mason, though disappointed for Bonner, will not be shooting under protest. He will be just the fifth Spurs player to participate in the contest, joining Dale Ellis (1994), Chuck Person (1995), Terry Porter (2000) and Steve Smith (2002), and hopes to become the first Spurs player to win it.

All aboard: Barring something unforeseen, today's game should mark the first meeting between the Spurs and Celtics with each team's Big Three intact.

Boston's Kevin Garnett and the Spurs' Tony Parker each sat out the Celtics' victory in Boston last season. Celtics guard Ray Allen, meanwhile, missed his team's win in San Antonio.

Tim Duncan, one of four players Spurs coach Gregg Popovich held out of Tuesday's loss at Denver, joked that he's not sure he will be in the starting lineup in Boston.

“I hope to be, but there are no guarantees,” Duncan said. “There were some things said to Pop during the Denver game, and I don't think he appreciated it.”

EricB
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
:lol

Bonner is hilarious.

SpurSupremacist
02-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Popobitch and his fucking ego. Sit down you old coat-tail riding, acne-ridden douche bag. You're nothing without 21.

timvp
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Popobitch and his fucking ego. Sit down you old coat-tail riding, acne-ridden douche bag. You're nothing without 21.Tourette's or you have a reason?

EricB
02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Popobitch and his fucking ego. Sit down you old coat-tail riding, acne-ridden douche bag. You're nothing without 21.

Bob Hill?

DannyT
02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
today's game

what fucking time zone is he in?

EricB
02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
This was written for Sunday's paper....

honestfool84
02-07-2009, 10:03 PM

you're stupid.

what fucking time zone is he in?

im guessing central time zone.

anakha
02-07-2009, 10:43 PM

:lmao at the moron taking Duncan's statements seriously.

DynastyBuilder
02-07-2009, 10:59 PM
“I think he deserved to be in it just as much as anybody,” Mason said. “I would have loved for them to have two Spurs in there.”

Hmmm, I don't see where Mase said Matt was robbed...

Blackjack
02-08-2009, 12:28 AM
There is no precedent for two players from the same team competing in the same 3-point contest, so perhaps it wasn't so surprising that, when the field was announced last week, Bonner's name was not listed.

Except that Dirk and Terry were in it together a couple of years ago.

Sucks that Rocket wasn't invited, but it's not all that suprising. IIRC he actually had a pretty good showing at the college 3-point shootout when he was at Florida and I'm sure would have aquitted himself quite well if given the opportunity.

DeadlyDynasty
02-08-2009, 12:45 AM
i agree...it's a 3-point contest and there's only 1 white guy in it!

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Hmmm, I don't see where Mase said Matt was robbed...

He didn't. And when you hear the audio (or see the video) of it, he pretty much blows off the question and gives a canned response. He didn't act outraged or like he thought Mason was robbed. :lol

DynastyBuilder
02-08-2009, 12:53 AM
He didn't. And when you hear the audio (or see the video) of it, he pretty much blows off the question and gives a canned response. He didn't act outraged or like he thought Mason was robbed. :lol

Good Ole Jeffrey :king

He did ask Roger, "Do you still think Matty got robbed?"

But Roger didn't say yes or confirm that he thought Matt was robbed.

On a sidenote Jeff makes some funny faces in that video.

SpurSupremacist
02-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Tourette's or you have a reason?

Like I said, he rides coattails to get where he's at and then thinks he can give interviews on national television that consist of "I don't know." and nothing else half of the time. He acts like a piece of shit to the media. Then this recent stunt he pulled in Denver. When will it end? This guy is a joker, get him the fuck out.

m33p0
02-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Except that Dirk and Terry were in it together a couple of years ago.

Sucks that Rocket wasn't invited, but it's not all that suprising. IIRC he actually had a pretty good showing at the college 3-point shootout when he was at Florida and I'm sure would have aquitted himself quite well if given the opportunity.
i'm sure he would have.:ihit:ihit:ihit
RED ROCKET!!!

anakha
02-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Like I said, he rides coattails to get where he's at and then thinks he can give interviews on national television that consist of "I don't know." and nothing else half of the time. He acts like a piece of shit to the media. Then this recent stunt he pulled in Denver. When will it end? This guy is a joker, get him the fuck out.

Tourette's.

Ghazi
02-08-2009, 01:23 AM

Damn

Russ
02-08-2009, 01:32 AM
They probably just didn't want two guys from one team. If so, I'd pick Mason.

lurker23
02-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Set to join Mason in Phoenix are two-time winner Jason Kopono of Toronto, Indiana's Danny Granger, Orlando's Rashard Lewis, Atlanta's Mike Bibby and Miami's Daequan Cook.

Cook's inclusion is the real head-scratcher. At the time of his selection, he ranked 31st in 3-point percentage.

The player selection for the 3-point competition has always irked me. I don't think they should necessarily be a slave to the current season's percentages, but I think in general the players should either be in this season's top 10 in 3PT% or 3PT makes, or be in the top 5 in those categories in a recent year. However, there always seems to be at least one or two head scratchers every year that makes you wonder if lobbying or "general impression of the player" has anything to do with their selection.

ehz33satx
02-08-2009, 01:52 AM

Coach Pop is a hell of alot smarter than you are. I can guarantee you that.

SpurSupremacist
02-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Coach Pop is a hell of alot smarter than you are. I can guarantee you that.

No, he went to the Air Force Academy. Sorry. hahaha

ehz33satx
02-08-2009, 02:27 AM
No, he went to the Air Force Academy. Sorry. hahaha

Meaning?

SpurSupremacist
02-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Meaning?

Meaning any idiot can get in there.

cherylsteele
02-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Meaning any idiot can get in there.
You didn't.
Did you get rejected by SAC?

RyanLeaf
02-08-2009, 08:04 AM

He hasn't had more than 29 losses in his career. The only time coming his first year in 97. Since then, he has never had more than 29 losses, having a winning season each season by a large amount on the differential on the win loss record.

He actually played basketball the four years at Air Force, and attained his Masters at University of Denver, where you need a 3.7 to get in.

Manu-of-steel
02-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Bonner, who is shooting 48.9 percent from beyond the arc, has accepted his snub in typical Bonner fashion. He jokes that he will stage some sort of protest at All-Star Weekend, which he says may or may not involve streaking.
LOL, Bonner is a really funny guy. this thread is just ruined by a supremacist without a cause.

Tully365
02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
He acts like a piece of shit to the media.

:lol Yeah, maybe he can take some lessons in dainty diplomacy and elegant human interaction from an idiot who goes on internet forums and praises German purity and recommends links to theories stating that black people are intellectually inferior because of their genetic make-up. If only Pop could be nicer, like you!