PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Autographs

timmydidit
02-08-2009, 04:49 AM
hey guys sorry to make a lame thread but I was wondering if any of yall have any advice on getting autographs at a Spurs game.. not at the AT&T center but im going to the game on Wed- Feb.11 @ ACC(toronto) anyways whos most likely to sign an autograph, whats the best time, and hows the security with that??

thanks.

Bambililos
02-08-2009, 05:32 AM
I got Tp's and Manu's once in Phoenix. You need to be next to the court during warmup (security lets you do that) and sometimes the players are nice enough to come and sign some autographs when they're done. It might be easier if you have a poster with you or something.
Being in the stairs (but not to high) by the tunnel that leads to the lockerrooms is good too.

Good luck :)

bigfish22
02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Hang out at the Niketown the day before the game. I saw TP and Manu at the Niketown in Beverly Hills before a Sunday game last year in LA.

timmydidit
02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Does Duncan sign stuff alot? anyone

honestfool84
02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Does Duncan sign stuff alot? anyone

The Express-News took an informal poll of autograph seekers to find out the NBA’s best and worst signers, as well as the top excuses for not forking over a signature:

FIVE WORST

Kevin Garnett, Celtics
LeBron James, Cavaliers
Vince Carter, Nets
Kobe Bryant, Lakers
Tim Duncan, Spurs

SOURCE. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116273)

timmydidit
02-09-2009, 02:02 AM
SOURCE. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116273)

well thats just great what about parker and manu

duncan228
02-09-2009, 02:07 AM
well thats just great what about parker and manu

Manu is top 5 for signing from the same source. From what I've read it's a matter of right place, right time and luck.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Ditty
02-09-2009, 02:11 AM
i heard a story once that duncan is very picky about signing basketballs because when he was a rookie he signed something for a college student at wake forest or something and he turned around and sold it for thousands of dollars and duncan did't really like that so he dosen't like to sign basketballs

parker is kinda of a douchbag i heard when it comes to getting autographs even taking his picture (my friends mom does eva's hair)

ginobili is really cool guy my friend has meet him and has had a conversation with

bonner and fabrico and hill are probably the most nicest guys on the team when it comes to get there autographs or picture cause i meet all 3 at work

i would pull to try to get sean elliots autograph if hes doing the game that day

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2009, 02:35 AM
maybe you should bring a fake cardboard saying ur from overseas or someshit,

maybe they will sign for you....

jmard5
02-09-2009, 03:22 AM
Nice read (link). Thanks.

baseline bum
02-09-2009, 03:39 AM
i would pull to try to get sean elliots autograph if hes doing the game that day

Does Sean sign? I'm pretty sure he was advised not to shake anyone's hand or sign any autographs to minimize infections after his kidney transplant. I hope no one thinks he's arrogant for not shaking their hand or signing their card.

What I used to do as a kid was go to Hemisfair immediately after I got out of school. Players were always willing to sign at 4:30 when they were just screwing around on the floor for a 7:30 game. It was never a problem getting autographs from guys like Jordan, Magic, Dr. J, McHale, Worthy, Isiah, Barkley, Malone, etc. if you asked them when they just went out to shoot around or came back from it (it had to be way before the game though). I don't think the NBA allows people to show up that early anymore though.

Yorae
02-09-2009, 03:41 AM
a gun might help.......eh just kidding.

alamo50
02-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Does Sean sign? I'm pretty sure he was advised not to shake anyone's hand or sign any autographs to minimize infections after his kidney transplant. I hope no one thinks he's arrogant for not shaking their hand or signing their card.

Never heard anything like that before.
The day after I got from the plane for my very first visit to San Antonio back in 2001, I was on court for the players introduction for the 2nd game of the playoffs vs. Seattle and I shook hands with Sean.

Great story about your childhood Base!

ploto
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
If you want Manu's autograph, I recommend bringing something Argentine- a flag, a Manu Team Jersey, etc... he pretty much can not help himself but sign those.

IIRC, it is a little harder at the ACC because both teams use the same tunnel. The visitors use what would be considered the right side if you are on the court leaving the court. A Raptors fan who has been there more can tell you for sure.

Spursfan092120
02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I think it's all based on situation. I've gotten 3 balls signed by Manu, Tony, and Timmy, and they were all very courteous, and signed for everybody who wanted a signature all three times. They're good guys..sometimes they have bad days and don't want to sign for 3 hours, but that can be expected. However, every time I've gone down to get autographs, they always signed..for everyone

Amuseddaysleeper
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I got to meet Ginobili last year at the ACC game vs the Raptors.

I just got there super early and waited by the player's entrance. I simply called out for him as he walked by and he gladly signed my Spurs 2007 Championship DVD.

timmydidit
02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
thats great thanks guys i hope ginobili signs something for although i haven nothing that represents argentina

mexicanjunior
02-10-2009, 10:33 AM

http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj//pics/Spurs-Twolves/1223082214.jpg

http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj//pics/Spurs-Twolves/1223082256.jpg

ploto
02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
thats great thanks guys i hope ginobili signs something for although i haven nothing that represents argentina

It is not necessary. Know that Manu is pretty much the most popular Spur for people wanting autographs at away games because he is out there shooting around after fans are in the building. He really is nice about it.

Good luck.

xellos88330
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Manu seems really cool to fans. When I was selected as a Spurs "Super Fan" he came up and shook our hands and thanked us for supporting the team and stuff like that. Shouldn't have a problem with him.

Old School 44
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes...Manu seems real friendly and easy going. Bruce was asking eveyone for their names, so he signs it "To:" you. I think he does this for two reasons, it's more personal and you are less likely to sell it. Tim signed, but it was all business. He wasn't really rude or anything, but he couldn't get out of there fast enough. Can't blame him though, everyone's screaming your name, literally begging for an autograph.

timmydidit
02-10-2009, 11:05 PM
if i could get tims autograph id be so ecstatic .. im not gonna except too much tho ill try if not that whatever anyways thanks for all the advice yall!!

ElNono
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I had a good night tonight in Jersey. Took the Spurs cap that Sean E. signed for us in Philly and got signatures from George Hill, Matt Bonner and Manu. Tony and Hairston were signing quite a bit too, but I couldn't catch em.
All in all, :tu

Amuseddaysleeper
02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I had a good night tonight in Jersey. Took the Spurs cap that Sean E. signed for us in Philly and got signatures from George Hill, Matt Bonner and Manu. Tony and Hairston were signing quite a bit too, but I couldn't catch em.
All in all, :tu

Was this by the player's entrance?

and that's awesome man!

ElNono
02-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Was this by the player's entrance?

and that's awesome man!

Yes, right next to the tunnel. Bonner was funny. He looked at the Argentina t-shirt I was wearing, and he says 'Argentina uh?', and I tell him 'Yeah, New Hampshire, right?' and he cracks up and says 'Yeah, it's very different'.
George Hill was great too. He was signing non-stop. He told us he would have to go away and come back, and I felt kind of bad for the kid. I told him don't worry about it, and he took the cap and signed it anyways. Manu knows my wife and me, so whenever he comes around he sticks around and we chat up while he signs for everybody else. Another great, humble guy that just will sign for everybody.

baseline bum
02-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Maybe Sean just wasn't supposed to sign for a while right after the transplant. Damn, I gotta bring my ticket to the MDM next time I go to a Spurs game then. :lol

alamo50
02-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Bonner was funny. He looked at the Argentina t-shirt I was wearing, and he says 'Argentina uh?', and I tell him 'Yeah, New Hampshire, right?' and he cracks up and says 'Yeah, it's very different'.

:rollin

Nice one!

angel_luv
02-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Manu is super nice as everyone has already stated.

I remember when the Spurs played Detroit on March 25, 2004.
I was by the Spurs tunnel and was holding the promotional foam finger the arena was giving away that evening.

Everyone wanted Manu's attention as he came down the line of us waiting there.
I decided not to ask Manu for autograph, since he was having to sign a lot of stuff already and he had given me his autograph previously.

But Manu apparently thought I wanted an autograph but was too shy to ask him for it because he took my foam finger, signed it, and gave it back to me.
I still have it. :)

That was an excellent autograph night for me. Timmy signed the plastic cover of my basketball card.
( I was too in awe of him to get the card out of the holder or to ask him to try to. :lol)
Also that was the night I met Rasho :D He autographed the basketball card I handed him twice, since it didn't show up well on the first side.

The only one I didn't get to talk to that night was Hedo.
I am still waiting to meet Hedo- hopefully next season will be the year. :)

portnoy1
02-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Whatever you do always be polite and try to differentiate yourself from all the other fans. also make sure to get their early. What I do is: (1) go online and take a look at the arena, particularly where the players come out. Then I buy tickets in that immediate area.(2) I'm at the game 1hr 15min early so that i'm the first in line to get an autograph while the players are shooting around, that also gives me a few minutes to talk to the security people so that they know my full intentions and I have their trust; so they wont be looking over my shoulder all the time. (3) I have a pen, a card and ticket to sign if its someone I dont have a card for.(4) I address them as mr. Ginobili or Mr. parker so that they notice out of all the people saying Manu and tony. I tried it on Eva Longoria. Result = she ignored everyone else saying eva, eva, eva and immediately turned her head and smiled / waived at me.

alamo50
02-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I address them as mr. Ginobili or Mr. parker so that they notice out of all the people saying Manu and tony. I tried it on Eva Longoria. Result = she ignored everyone else saying eva, eva, eva and immediately turned her head and smiled / waived at me.

I never understood why people call these multi-miljonair athletes by their first name when addressing them.

Spursfan092120
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I have

Sean E.
Rasho N.
Beno U.

on a mini ball.

Value of ball...10 bucks.

After the signatures?

4 bucks?

lol..it's not about the money man...it's about the memories and the moment.