PDA

View Full Version : Different size fields in baseball???

rr2418
03-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Can anyone tell me why baseball fields are not the same size? Every major sport has a regulation playing surface (field, court, rink). Why baseball? That's one thing I never understood, and it bothers me to this day!

tlongII
03-04-2005, 06:04 PM
It's just the outfield and foul territories that are different. I can't tell you why, but it is part of what makes baseball baseball. I like it.

atlfan25
03-05-2005, 02:14 AM
don't be a fucking moron, that shit gives character to the fields. its tite

rr2418
03-05-2005, 11:44 AM

:lol For a minute there, I thought were calling me a "fucking moron", but I realized that you probably don't know the answer to my question either, and were just commenting to yourself! :lmao

atlfan25
03-05-2005, 11:58 PM
i am calling you a fucking moron, cuz that's what you are. the answer is the outfields are diff sizes cuz they can be, and people like to see differences in a field. some character, just like a basetball court has diff colors and shit. it would be dumb as fuck is every field looked exactly the same. is that too hard of a concept?

rr2418
03-06-2005, 06:51 PM
i am calling you a fucking moron, cuz that's what you are. the answer is the outfields are diff sizes cuz they can be, and people like to see differences in a field. some character, just like a basetball court has diff colors and shit. it would be dumb as fuck is every field looked exactly the same. is that too hard of a concept?

:lol :lol Whew!! These computer screens really do come in handy? Hiding behind them like you do! Hey, I understand! That's what these forums do to people like you. WRITE BIG BAD WORDS! MAKE ME FEEL GOOD! GRRRR!!! :lol
But, the fun part is, you didn't answer me correctly! Read your answer again!
"..just like a basketball court has diff colors and shit."

:lol A basketball court is the same size everywhere you go. True, they have the home teams colors and markings, but the size is the same. Same thing with a football field. 100 yds long from goal line to goal line, but it also has the colors of the home team. Now, if you compare all the baseball stadiums around the league, the grass is trimmed differently by the maintainence crew. You'll see different grass designs on the field. That is similar to the parque floor where the Celtics play. I'm not talking about the color or designs in the field, but THE SIZE! But why am I explaining this to you when you can't even answer a simple question correctly?

Can SOMEBODY ELSE explain the fields are different sizes? Except for you, the one who hides behind the computer monitor. The one who WRITES BIG BAD WORDS! MAKE ME FEEL GOOD! GRRR! :lol :lmao :lol :lmao .........

atlfan25
03-06-2005, 07:29 PM
i was making an analogy, if you can't comprehend analogy's to understand it, i can't help you. i did make comments about the size, but you ignored it.

rr2418
03-06-2005, 07:45 PM
i was making an analogy, if you can't comprehend analogy's to understand it, i can't help you. i did make comments about the size, but you ignored it.

Well, your analogy is wrong. About the size, all you said was that "..the shit gives character to the field..". And, "..the outfields are diff sizes cuz they can be.." You're right! It's just a comment, not an answer! Again, you're commenting about what's on the field as oppose to the size of the field.

atlfan25
03-06-2005, 07:50 PM
it is an answer, and there is no other possible analgy that would be correct. there are no other sports fields that are different sizes. the answer is they do it cuz they can, cuz there are no regulations to say every field has to be the same size.

atlfan25
03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
i take what i said as an answer, i can see how you wouldn't. you are probably wanting the thought process of why they don't regulate them to all be the same. i'm not too interested in that and never thought about the exact reason cuz it doesn't bother me. cuz i like that the fields are different.

King
03-06-2005, 11:33 PM

That sure was an unnecessary response.

Not so much the random name-calling, but more your butchering of the English language.

T Park
03-07-2005, 01:08 AM
That is right, it is one of the beautys of baseball, all the ballparks have quirks, different stuff, things that make them different.

Its just the way baseball is, its part of the reason they are different.

Das Texan
03-07-2005, 01:48 AM
if baseball had fields of uniform sizes it wouldnt be baseball.

and that was basically tried before.

see 1970s

FromWayDowntown
03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
A lot of the disuniformity comes from the realities of times when the older parks were built. Look at parks like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. (Here's a photo of the left field bleachers at Wrigley (http://www.30mlbparks.com/images/DSCN0594.JPG) and a map of Fenway Park (http://world.std.com/~thirdave/pers/workstuff/fenway_051899/fenwaymap.html)). Those parks are built right in the heart of the City and are confined to the spaces available around existing streets (usually having to fit within a couple of city blocks). Because the cities themselves weren't uniform in, say, the distance between streets (or the ways that streets ran) the parks had to be different sizes. To make up for certain things (the short distance from home plate to the left field wall at Fenway, for example) the designers had to put some extras in, so you get a 37 foot wall in Boston. Otherwise, any flyball to left would be a home run.

When teams didn't have to put their ballparks in downtown anymore (or when cities were willing to tear down more stuff around parks) you started to see the cookie cutter stadium. In the late 60's and early 70's, you got things like Riverfront in Cincinnati, Three Rivers in Pittsburgh, the Vet in Philadelphia and so on (you could add any of the "parking lot parks" to this as well -- the old Arlington Stadium, Oakland Alameda County Coliseum, Shea Stadium, for examples). Cities thought they could save money by building a single stadium to house both football and baseball (except Kansas City, which figured it out before everyone else). The need for dimensions to fit football made for very symmetrical and consistent dimensions at several parks. But fans rejected that concept, both because the parks were antiseptic and because the feel of old time baseball was going away.

Spurs košarka kultura
03-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Does the size really matter? It dosen't benefit one team over the other does it? I guess some cities like to see more homeruns than others, hell I don't think the walls even have to be the same height do they? I'm sure there's minimum but I don't think they are all the same, the green monster comes to mind (I forget which team plays at that field). Alas I guess I really just answered your question with another question, sorry.

Solid D
03-21-2005, 06:54 PM
it is an answer, and there is no other possible analgy that would be correct. there are no other sports fields that are different sizes. the answer is they do it cuz they can, cuz there are no regulations to say every field has to be the same size.

atlfan, outside the lines of criticism and vulgarity, there should be some more substance. Do you want to stand by your statement of fact that "there are no other sports fields that are different sizes"? If so, you might want to research that a bit more.

Solid D
03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
exhibit A

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39979000/jpg/_39979890_jones203.jpg http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40945000/jpg/_40945113_flo_sami203.jpg

atlfan25
03-21-2005, 07:54 PM
i don't have time to care about and research some bullshit game that i don't know or care about. i was talking about the major sports.

Solid D
03-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Then articulate on your points. It's up to you, not me.

atlfan25
03-21-2005, 09:17 PM
It's up to you, not me.
ya, thats right.

Solid D
03-21-2005, 10:58 PM
You've just sent yourself down to Richmond, or should I say maybe Myrtle Beach, atlfan by calling someone a moron over a logical question. If you've got time to post in here, you've got time to learn about international sports. Take the time to educate yourself and you'll be enriched. You'll only make yourself look bad if you don't. It's only advice, though, so you don't have to read it or listen to it. It's up to you, as I said before.

atlfan25
03-21-2005, 11:00 PM
i could give a fuck about international sports, i simply just dont care.

Solid D
03-21-2005, 11:48 PM
rr2418, baseball and golf are major sports that don't really have a clock, nor set dimensions for all aspects of the playing surface. Of course horse racing and auto racing don't use set dimensions and these are considered by most as fairly major sports but they rely on non-humans to assist in reaching a victory.

These are distinctive sports and there is good in that. There seems to be some level of charm and fascination in hitting to a green completely surrounded by water, or hitting a ball high over the 38-ft. high green monster, or into the fountains in KC.

Distinctiveness is what makes Wrigley Field, with its ivy-covered brick walls and flags blowing out or in (?) questions from its patrons during homestands, something that makes the sport fascinating and interesting.

Solid D
03-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Now, for a very practical answer or reason:

Not all cities can afford to build and support a field that only supports baseball. Since a baseball (like a golf ball) can be hit great distances, fields also serving as home for football games require some flexibility, in order to provide closeness for its fans. 60 feet-6 inches or 90 feet are constants and standards that can be easily accomodated. These are short distances.

The Little League has more unified dimensions (200 feet all around) but once again, these are reasonably short distances. Once you have to accomodate 300+ feet, the flexibility and practicality changes.

T Park
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
The flag pole in center field at Houston.

The ocean in right field in San Francisco.

the pennants on top of the dugouts in St Louis.

Baseball is like golf in that, you could play 1 thousand parks, and not 1 is identical to the other one.

Busch Stadium is different than Pro Player, Minute Maid is different than SBC Park.

That, and the weather that goes into effect.

You can freeze your ass off in a day game in San Fran, then the next night your dying of thirst and sweatin your ass off in the outfield in a night game in St Louis.l

Variety, change, uniqueness.

Its what gives baseball character :)

gophergeorge
04-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Either way.... It's 90 feet to first base....