PDA

View Full Version : Pop and Hill

superbigtime
02-08-2009, 06:20 PM
What was with Pop talking to Georgie Hill like he's 6 years old? I don't remember the exact words but it was to the effect of: You wanna be a big boy and help the team win with some free throws and hustle? As he pats him on the cheek in the huddle. Made me sort of cringe. Did anyone else catch this? It was after GH took that hard fall.

FreeMason
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
He was just joking around with him.

Pop knows he has a gem in Hill with that killer potential defense.

jag
02-08-2009, 06:26 PM
What was with Pop talking to Georgie Hill like he's 6 years old? I don't remember the exact words but it was to the effect of: You wanna be a big boy and help the team win with some free throws and hustle? As he pats him on the cheek in the huddle. Made me sort of cringe. Did anyone else catch this? It was after GH took that hard fall.

Pop knows when to push buttons and when not to. When it's time to scream, he'll scream, when it's time to criticize, he'll criticize...He was just giving George some encouragement.

timvp
02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
He was making a joke about how Hill doesn't use his left hand . . .

jermaine
02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
He was kidding. Lol At least I hope he was. Matt Bonner was showing his ass off for his fans today. He got tired a lil fast though.

superbigtime
02-08-2009, 06:32 PM
It was creepy and condescending at the same time. Seemed awkward for Hill.

jag
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
bullshit,

its pop being his typical condescending self to young players. No wonder Hill lacks confidence sometimes. If someone acted like that to me I would punch him in his face. I could tell Hill was holding back.

Fuck you Pop.

He made a joke with him about not needing his left arm anyway and that they could just cut it off. Then Pop told him to knock down some free throws and help the Spurs get a win.

not that big a deal...you should probably relax

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Pop should be fired, and we should hire JoeyCrawfordIsAThief as our coach..

honestfool84
02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
bullshit,

its pop being his typical condescending self to young players. No wonder Hill lacks confidence sometimes. If someone acted like that to me I would punch him in his face. I could tell Hill was holding back.

Fuck you Pop.

dude.
chill out.

pop is a GREAT coach.

next time you see him, ask to see his hands, and all four CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS ON HIS FINGERS.

then you can tell him to f*ck himself.

K-State Spur
02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
they actually started in the middle of the conversation, but it appeared that he was giving Hill a hard time by saying that he doesn't need his left arm because he always goes right anyways.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Some guys' fail per post rate here has to be off the charts.

Interrohater
02-08-2009, 06:39 PM
:rollin
Some guys' fail per post rate here has to be off the charts.

Whisky Dog
02-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Damn, I know a lot of you sensitive people never played competitive ball past pee wee. That was probably the nicest thing Pop said to him all day. There's a reason Pop has 10 yrs, 4 titles, and still hasn't lost control on that team. Why? One word... Respect.

vander
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
dude.
chill out.

pop is a GREAT coach.

next time you see him, ask to see his hands, and all four CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS ON HIS FINGERS.

then you can tell him to f*ck himself.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that without that infamous 97 lottery, Pop has 0 rings and is not coaching Basketball right now.
whereas, If you take Pop away, TD still gets rings.

but I'm not saying Pop's a bad coach, just...

DAF86
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
joke part is ok. Just don't treat a grown man like a kid in front of his teammates.

He does that with newbies, I remember reading not to long ago that Pop gave Tony hell in Parker's rookie season. And Manu has declared a lot of times here in Argentina of his many "heated arguments" with Gregg in his first year in the NBA. I clearly remember one time in a playoff game in Dallas where Popovich said to Manu in the hudle with all the other guys watching something like: "why is your hand shaking? look I'm an old man and my hand isn't shaking". I think it's just a thing he uses to build young players character.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 06:48 PM
:lol @ people not understanding they were joking around

Pop does his fair share of ripping people or being condescending at times, but this wasn't one of them.

DAF86
02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
:lol @ people not understanding they were joking around

Actually I didn't see this little incident. I'm just saying that Pop has a rep of picking on rookies.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Actually I didn't see this little incident. I'm just saying that Pop has a rep of picking on rookies.

No, I wasn't talking about you, necessarily. I just happened to post after you :)

timvp
02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
He does that with newbies, I remember reading not to long ago that Pop gave Tony hell in Parker's rookie season. And Manu has declared a lot of times here in Argentina of his many "heated arguments" with Gregg in his first year in the NBA. I clearly remember one time in a playoff game in Dallas where Popovich said to Manu in hudle with all the other guys watching something like: "why is your hand shaking? look I'm an old man and my hand isn't shaking". I think it's just a thing he uses to build young players character.

My favorite Pop versus Manu moment was in Manu's rookie year:

Pop: Calm the !@#$ down Manu and run the !@#$ing offense.

Manu: This is how I play. Don't put me in the game if you don't like it.

Pop: :madrun

RyanLeaf

Its called tough love. I had it in with my receivers coach in college. I just came in and he asked me in the huddle if I wanted to be a huge pussy or make a catch and help the team win a game. He said something to that effect every game and practice, yet played me over seniors and juniors.

Coaches do it to their favorite players and know that have unlimited potential.

DAF86
No, I wasn't talking about you, necessarily. I just happened to post after you :)

NP ;)

DAF86
02-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Yep, that's Manu's favorite one also :lol

superbigtime
02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I understand if Pop was lightening the situation after that hard foul, but you just don't touch a guy on the face like that. See if you feel talked down to you when your boss pats you on your cheek at the water cooler. Maybe Pop secretly wants to be a Catholic priest. And chump pumper, may you fall on your face crossing the street in front of a bus.

raspsa
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
All players get a treatment of the Pop humor with a tinge of sarcasm from time to time.. no one's immune, not even Timmy w/c is why he and the team are so great.. its actually a compliment when you get this kind of treatment..

EricB
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM

That takes some serious stones....

SpursFanFirst
02-08-2009, 07:06 PM

I believe he actually said something like, "we can cut that other arm off. You don't need it. Just make some free throws and help the team win."

I don't think he was belittling him in any way.

DAF86
02-08-2009, 07:07 PM
That takes some serious stones....

I think that cost him some serious dog house time.

ElNono
02-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Pop was being candid with him... Do we really need 2/3 pages on this?

vander
02-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Its called tough love. I had it in with my receivers coach in college. I just came in and he asked me in the huddle if I wanted to be a huge pussy or make a catch and help the team win a game. He said something to that effect every game and practice, yet played me over seniors and juniors.

Coaches do it to their favorite players and know that have unlimited potential.

and yet no one fucked up their unlimited potential quit like you did, you big pussy

UMe0Rz1frdE

:D

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Pop was just making fun of the fact he doesn't use his left hand. Hill was rubbing his left arm and Pop joked, we can cut it off, you don't need it anyway (or something to that effect). I don't know how anyone can even think that's talking down to the rookie or being condescending. It was just a joke in the huddle.

Some people are so quick to say FUCK YOU Pop, you are trash, etc. But the Spurs players LOVE Pop. So, maybe it's the fans who need to (as Pop would say) "Get over themselves."

superbigtime
02-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I guess it's just the Rookie - Coach relationship.

ElNono
02-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Some people are so quick to say FUCK YOU Pop, you are trash, etc. But the Spurs players LOVE Pop. So, maybe it's the fans who need to (as Pop would say) "Get over themselves."

Beno would like to have a word with you... :lol

Raoul Duke
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
He made a joke with him about not needing his left arm anyway and that they could just cut it off. Then Pop told him to knock down some free throws and help the Spurs get a win.

not that big a deal...you should probably relax

yeah. i don't know how someone can get condescending from that. he was trying to keep hill relaxed because the game was tight and he had to knock down some freebies after getting a stinger.

pop and hill have both stated that pop has a different approach towards hill than the one he took with parker. parker needed to be ridden hard because he was cocky and young and also asked to be the point on a veteran heavy team. he hasn't had to do that with hill he's been very nurturing with hill.

E20
02-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Never knew that. Dayuuum.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Beno would like to have a word with you... :lol

In training camp this season with Sac, Beno mentioned he liked Pop's training camp better because it was more disciplined. :lol Go figure.

BlackBellamy
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
joke part is ok. Just don't treat a grown man like a kid in front of his teammates.
You are a funny man. Have you seen how rookies are treated in this league? A little gentle ribbing and you act like it's Pop calling out (the suddenly untouchable) George Hill as a pussy (ala Phil Jackson v. Kwame Brown). Coaches have the right to be dicks, have you never played sports?

ElNono
02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
In training camp this season with Sac, Beno mentioned he liked Pop's training camp better because it was more disciplined. :lol Go figure.

Beno = :jack

exstatic
02-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Why not? They send his ass out for rookie donut runs at every opportunity. At least Pop's jokes don't cost him anything.

Your butt hurt attitude would last 5 minutes on the Spurs. Perhaps you should find a new team, since that's the way they roll.

Biggems
02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
if Pop had babied Parker.........would Parker be as clutch as he is today? would he have ever stepped up in the postseason? most likely NO on both accounts.

It is nice to see Beno has an account on SpursTalk......but Beno, why did you pick the name JoeyCrawfordisaThief.......why not PopisaMeanieWhoMadeMeCryandPeeMyPanties

boutons_
02-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I remember reading or hearing Pop saying something like he trusted Manu enough to welcome Manu into Pop's foxhole (ie, as a buddy in real bullet-sy battle).

Biggems
02-08-2009, 07:55 PM
That kid is making good money to perform. He has done nothing of significance in this league. He is surrounded by players who have been to the summit on numerous occasions.

This is a grown man's league.....either nut up or shut up. I doubt Hill is as sensitive as some of our own bitch ass, silly sally fans.....

greyforest
02-08-2009, 07:57 PM
pop has a very eccentric sense of humor. if you notice in some interviews, he loves being a huge smartass, deadpanning, talking crap without people noticing they are being insulted, etc etc. it's sort of the british dry sense of humor which not many folks around here get.

you can't take it out of context, i'm sure its some ongoing thing

doldrums
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
He was making a joke about how Hill doesn't use his left hand . . .

Exactly, can we restrict nonsense posts like the thread starter's.

GSH
02-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Weird. I thought it was one of the best moments of the game, and Pop was pumping up his rookie. Hill was hurting, and if I remember right, he said "they could cut off that arm and you wouldn't miss it." Then he asked him if he was ready to go out there and make a couple of free throws and play some D, and help the team win this game.

I didn't think it warranted a thread, but I thought it was Pop's way of getting Hill ready to go back on the floor, and saying that he believes in him. Everybody I was watching the game with thought the same thing. And that many of you thought it was condescending and insulting? I wonder if Hill really saw it that way?

And BTW... I really don't think Pop was joking about Hill not using his left. I think he was saying that he could get the job done with one arm.

silk
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
do you guys know some other moments of manu vs pop ? I never really get to see any arguments between them

Mark in Austin
02-08-2009, 09:14 PM

:lol I can't believe I missed that.

Old School 44
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
pop has a very eccentric sense of humor. if you notice in some interviews, he loves being a huge smartass, deadpanning, talking crap without people noticing they are being insulted, etc etc. it's sort of the british dry sense of humor which not many folks around here get.

I've noticed he's actually lightened up with the sarcasm lately. Particularly with the sideline reporters after the 1st and 3rd quarters.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM
maybe pop has never seen a handsome guy b4......

bigdog
02-08-2009, 11:59 PM
There should be no conversation or argument about this. Hill went down with the injury, then in the huddle he was rubbing his shoulder, and Pop said something to the effect of "we can cut that arm off, you don't need it.(pop's sarcastic humor)." then he said something like "can you hit some free throws and play some defense for us, help us win the game?" the way he asked it was more like a "are you good to go back in?" type of question than Pop babying him.

Whoever thinks Pop was treating him like a kid is stupid, and some of you people obviously have never paid attention to Pop's sense of humor.

Agloco
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
That kid is making good money to perform. He has done nothing of significance in this league. He is surrounded by players who have been to the summit on numerous occasions.

This is a grown man's league.....either nut up or shut up. I doubt Hill is as sensitive as some of our own bitch ass, silly sally fans.....

+1

Why the hell is anyone busting Pop's balls after 4 rings?

m33p0
02-09-2009, 12:13 AM
You know what this is? This is an EMO thread, that's what this is.

daslicer
02-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Honestly when he said those comments I laughed because it came across to me as nothing but a harmless joke just to losen up Hill. Hell I think Duncan said something to Hill in background to while Pop was talking but I forget what he said something like "Yeah help us get this win!"

superbigtime
02-09-2009, 01:02 AM
There should be no conversation or argument about this. Hill went down with the injury, then in the huddle he was rubbing his shoulder, and Pop said something to the effect of "we can cut that arm off, you don't need it.(pop's sarcastic humor)." then he said something like "can you hit some free throws and play some defense for us, help us win the game?" the way he asked it was more like a "are you good to go back in?" type of question than Pop babying him.

Whoever thinks Pop was treating him like a kid is stupid, and some of you people obviously have never paid attention to Pop's sense of humor.

Please. I have watched plenty of interviews of Pop to appreciate his sense of humor or lack thereof. If you are incapable of making simple observations that makes you stupid.

superbigtime
02-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Exactly, can we restrict nonsense posts like the thread starter's.

Fuck you man, this is America.

Rapper
02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
He was just joking around with him.

Pop knows he has a gem in Hill with that killer potential defense.

+1

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Even if Pop was being an A-hole (and he wasn't), Hill went back out there and may have played his best stretch of ball as a Spur ever while on the road against the defending world champs. How are you argue with results?

m33p0
02-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Hill: "Where's that wall now? HAHAHAHA!"

jmard5
02-09-2009, 01:37 AM
I think it was great moment seeing how Pop positively nteract with his players. I don't also see anything wrong with that.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 02:10 AM

Too bad they didn't do that wired shit back then.:lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
02-09-2009, 02:22 AM

L O L

I think me, mookie, and Chode Regulator almost died from choking on bong smoke when that shit happened. I was like this Italian shooting guard is about to get his ass ripped :lmao

BTW, I think Pop is going too easy on George Hill. Maybe I'm just missing the games where he's supposedly hard on the guy, but other than just yanking him out of the game, I don't see it. Pop was like 100000x more ubercore with Parker in his third year.

John_C
02-09-2009, 02:39 AM
I think somebody's messed up while growing up

EricB
02-09-2009, 03:19 AM
Pop has a very dry sense of humor. Not a funny man. When he tries to be funny he sounds like an idiot. Stop waxing Pops pole. Thats for the blind homers here.

Stan Albeck, Larry Brown, Bob Bass, Mo Mchone, John Lucas, and yes Bob Hill would have won 4 eventually with Tim also. Phil and Pat would have atleast 6 by now.

Is this the same Bob Hill who David Robinson wanted gone?

:lmao @ John Lucas

You are a retard.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-09-2009, 03:32 AM

True. Pop is the original Dr House. :lol