PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Celtics - Feb. 8

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Following multiple days of rest and the hubbub created by the decision to sit the Big Three for a game, the San Antonio Spurs were back in action Sunday afternoon against the Boston Celtics. In this battle of the past two NBA champions, the Spurs were able to make the final run and flee Beantown with a 105-99 victory.

The final two and a half minutes featured a lot of back and forth action. With the Spurs up by a single point, Kevin Garnett nailed two consecutive buckets to put the Celtics up by three. Matt Bonner then got a 14-footer in the lane to drop. After a miss by Garnett, Roger Mason, Jr. got the rebound, dribbled the ball up the court, utilized a Tim Duncan screen and buried a leaning three-pointer to give the Spurs a two-point lead with 20 seconds remaining. A litany of free throws by Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley and Mason ensued before the win was a reality.

Despite the loss, the Celtics played well. Their defense is in a little bit of a slump but they are very solid on both sides of the court. On the backs of their Big Three, there’s no doubt that Boston will make a lot of noise once again in the playoffs.

Overall, the Spurs have to be thrilled with this win. It was a fantastic effort all the way around. Even when the execution failed, the energy and determination never waned. The comeback win at the end should give the team even more confidence in late-game situations going forward.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
39 minutes, 23 points, 13 rebounds, five assists
9-for-16 from the field, 5-for-5 from the line

Tim Duncan had a quiet yet effective performance. He never really stood out as dominating the action but at the end of the day, his presence was undeniable. If have to nitpick, I thought Duncan could have been more aggressive, especially with his post moves in the second half. Defensively, Duncan played well for a majority of the night, however his rotations out to the perimeter were sometimes a step slow. On the whole, Duncan played a very smart ballgame. With the amount of pressure the Celtics apply on defense, they want their opposition to force the action and fall into their trap. Instead, Duncan played it cool and took what was given.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
31 minutes, 19 points, three assists, three rebounds, three steals, four turnovers
6-for-11 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers, 5-for-5 at the line

At the beginning, Manu Ginobili was erratic and appeared a bit frazzled. He missed his first shot and then had three turnovers in the span of a minute. However, after two scores at the end of the first quarter, Ginobili found his rhythm. From that point forward, Ginobili played extremely well. On offense, his shot selection was good and he illustrated a lot of patience. His decisions on when to shoot from the outside, when to try to get to the hoop and when to pass were nearly flawless. Defensively, Ginobili gave a lot of effort. Although Ray Allen got away from somewhat, his physical D on Paul Pierce was impressive. Following Mason’s three-pointer, Ginobili helped seal the game when he recovered an Allen fumble on the inbounds pass and subsequently drew a clear path foul. All in all, Ginobili bounced back very well from his rough start and had himself a fine game.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
32 minutes, seven points, seven assists, three rebounds
3-for-12 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers

The Celtics obviously wanted to make life difficult for Tony Parker and they were wildly successful in doing so. Parker, who was pressured and trapped for almost the entire affair, never found an offensive groove. He compounded the issue by forcing shots and taking the team out of their rhythm, especially in the third quarter. Even though the Celtics deserve some of the recognition for Parker’s struggles, he definitely assisted in his own demise. Thankfully, Parker helped out in the passing department, finishing with seven assists and only one turnover. His defense was somewhat feeble in the opening quarters but he eventually toughened up and brought more energy on that end.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
31 minutes, 11 points, three rebounds
3-for-9 from the field, 2-for-6 on three-pointers

For the first 47 minutes and 40 seconds of the game, Roger Mason, Jr. wasn’t doing much right. If he wasn’t missing shots, he was fumbling balls out of bounds or getting burnt on the defensive end. Then, out of nowhere, he authored his next chapter of game-winning heroics. It’s good to see that even if he’s struggling, Mason has no problem taking and making big shots. On defense, even though he had a lot of points scored on his watch, I thought he showed signs of improvement. His recovery when going around screens is improved and his off the ball awareness is getting more consistent.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
27 minutes, seven points, two assists
1-for-4 from the field, 5-for-6 at the line

Prior to his free throws at the end of the fourth, Michael Finley wasn’t very helpful. He struggled finding open space on the offensive end and became a liability on the defensive end. Though he’s played decent defense at times this season, this was certainly not one of those times. Finley’s legs seemed to be dragging and he reactions all seemed to be a beat slow. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what Pop saw to warrant 15 minutes of playing time, much less 27 minutes.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
36 minutes, 23 points, eight rebounds, two assists, two steals
10-for-17 from the field, 3-for-6 on three-pointers

With six possible Hall of Famers on the court, who woulda thunk that the first half was going to be the Matt Bonner Show? The New Hampshire native scored 16 points in the first two quarters in what amounted to a home game. Scoring from both the perimeter and drives to the bucket, Bonner looked as confident as ever. In the third quarter, Bonner appeared to fatigue – although that didn’t stop him from banking in a three-pointer. After regrouping, Bonner scored a rare clutch basket with under a minute to go in the game. And when I say rare, I mean rare. When was the last time Bonner hit a shot with fewer than five minutes remaining in a game and the score separated by five or less points? You have to go all the way back to Nov. 11 against the Rockets when Bonner hit a three-pointer in the outing that helped catapult him back into the rotation.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
19 minutes, six points, five rebounds
3-for-5 from the field

Kurt Thomas gave the Spurs an understated yet valuable performance. Offensively, Thomas made two big baskets at the beginning of the fourth period, one of which was following an offensive rebound. On defense, Thomas did a good job of matching the physicality and effort of the Celtics frontline, though he did have a few miscues on that end. Overall, it was a worthwhile night at the office for Thomas.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
16 minutes, seven points, three rebounds, one assist
3-for-3 from the field, 1-for-2 at the line

In George Hill’s first stint of action in the first half, the rookie out of IUPUI didn’t do much of anything. That all changed when Hill entered the game in the fourth quarter. In a stretch of less than three minutes, Hill scored seven points on two jumpers at the end of the shot clock and a twisting layup. In the midst of his run, Hill took a hard hit and fell to the ground holding his shoulder. After his injury was diagnosed as a stinger, he was able to split a pair at the charity stripe. On defense, Hill brought a ton of energy and helped nullify some of Rajon Rondo’s athleticism. On the road against the defending champs, it was great to see Hill step up and have a hand in the victory.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
Seven minutes
0-for-2 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers

Bruce Bowen got most of his minutes in the third quarter following the Celtics’ 10-0 run to begin the half. Though he missed all his shots from the field, Bowen helped cool off Boston. His defense wasn't spectacular but he gave the Spurs a physical defender out on the perimeter that they were lacking.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
One minute, two points, two rebounds
1-for-1 from the field

After not playing all game, Pop suddenly put Fabricio Oberto into the contest with six minutes remaining in the game. Pop was frustrated with defensive mistakes by both Thomas and Bonner and decided to go with the Argentine bigman for a minute of action. In his 62 seconds on the court, Oberto was able to tally two points and two rebounds. His field goal came off of an offensive rebound following a Duncan miss.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

I thought Pop’s gameplan was very good, especially on the defensive end. He had his team sag off of Rondo and the Celtics bigs and sent immediate help whenever Pierce or Allen got into the lane. The plan basically dared the Celtics to win the game via the jumpshot. On offense, he wanted the Spurs to push the ball and get into their sets earlier than usual to not allow the Celtics to setup their potentially smothering defense. As far as his rotation was concerned, I thought it was smart for the most part. Giving Hill and Bonner more minutes worked out well, though more of Bowen and less of Finley probably wouldn’t have hurt.

Offense

Over the last two seasons, the Celtics have had the undisputed best defense in the league. On Sunday afternoon, the Spurs made Boston look average. The Spurs totaled their 105 points on 48.8% shooting from the field, while hitting 8-of-21 from three-point range and 19-of-21 from the line. The assist-to-turnover ratio of 21-to-13 was admirable. In the second and fourth quarters combined, the Spurs were able to put 69 points on the board.

Defense

Even though the Spurs executed their defensive gameplan rather well, Boston was still able to score points at a healthy clip. For the game, the Celtics shot 50.6% from the floor and handed out 28 assists to only 11 turnovers. Where the Spurs excelled was limited three-pointers (3-for-11) and free throw (8-for-11). San Antonio also had a 40-39 advantage on the glass.

Drive to Five

If this wasn’t the most meaningful victory of the season, it is positively near the top of the list. The Rodeo Road Trip continues in New Jersey on Tuesday when the Spurs take on the Nets. The Nets aren’t a great team at the moment but they’ve won four out of their previous five games and they were able to play the Spurs close in the AT&T Center a few weeks back. Get this win and keep the momentum flowing.

Believe.

gingerwave
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Glad the Spurs didn't come out flat after having so much rest. Great performance.

xtremesteven33
02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
NBA Finals Preview???

I hope so....

tp2021
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Worth noting: Bowen was the one defending Paul Pierce on the inbounds pass that Rayray lost control of.

Bexar County
02-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow,nice write up and on the money for the most part.Hell of a win by the good guys.Best win of the year IMO.

florige
02-08-2009, 09:14 PM
TimVp, Finley 5 for 6 on 3's? :lol

florige
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I thought that Hill strip of Rondo at the end of the first quarter was crucial as well.

lefty
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
George Hill = Rondo stopper

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:17 PM
TimVp, Finley 5 for 6 on 3's? :lolFixed. Thx.

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Worth noting: Bowen was the one defending Paul Pierce on the inbounds pass that Rayray lost control of.True. Bowen did a good job of making that inbounds play more difficult than usual. It played a part in Allen coughing it up.

igorotme
02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
why espn why?

ElNono
02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
The final two and a half minutes featured a lot of back and forth action. With the Spurs up by a single point, Kevin Garnett nailed two consecutive buckets to put the Celtics up by three. Matt Bonner then got a 14-footer in the lane to drop. After a miss by Garnett, Roger Mason, Jr. got the rebound, dribbled the ball up the court, utilized a Tim Duncan screen and buried a leaning three-pointer to give the Spurs a two-point lead with two seconds remaining. A litany of free throws by Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley and Mason ensued before the win was a reality.

You mean twenty...

Agloco
02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Nice synopsis, but do you have to keep using that dreadful picture of Pop?

Try this one......

http://www.hakubi.us/lakers/hack-a-shaq/popovich

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
You mean twenty...Thanks.

George Hill = Rondo stopperWhen they were next to each other, you could see they had almost the same exact build.

florige
02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks.

When they were next to each other, you could see they had almost the same exact build.

Yeah they both have those wide shoulders.

lefty
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks.

When they were next to each other, you could see they had almost the same exact build.

Yep, that was striking

Obstructed_View
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Glad the Spurs didn't come out flat after having so much rest.

I thought Tony Parker did. Fin certainly did. Actually one could make a case that Duncan did as well.

TMTTRIO
02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Manu did alright tonight and that steal was great but I've noticed for a while now that Manu's been trying to do too much when he comes off the bench and has been pretty bad about turning the ball over a lot and shooting dumb shots right after he comes into the game. Luckily tonight it worked out.

Manu-of-steel
02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
rajon had an axe to grind on tony. maybe rajon still remembers what tony said in a french newspaper about him. im glad tony was still able to have a nice game inspite of the celtics defense that was determined to stop him..

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I thought Tony Parker did. Fin certainly did. Actually one could make a case that Duncan did as well.Can't agree that Duncan came out flat. Eight points in the first and his defense was solid to start the game. Even Parker seemed to have the most energy in the first.

Finley ... on the other hand .... yeah.

In the third that whole starting lineup looked flat. I was begging for Pop to put Manu in at about the ten minute mark when it was obvious that combo wasn't doing anything.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2009, 10:12 PM
In the third that whole starting lineup looked flat. I was begging for Pop to put Manu in at about the ten minute mark when it was obvious that combo wasn't doing anything.

I was actually waiting for the floodgates to open. Looking at recent history the Spurs are blown out when they do that in the third.

lefty
02-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Bowen also forced Pierce to airball a 3 in the last seconds

timvp
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I was actually waiting for the floodgates to open. Looking at recent history the Spurs are blown out when they do that in the third.Yeah, that looked like the Lakers game for a second there . . .

Manudona
02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Roger Mason, Jr.

For the first 47 minutes and 40 seconds of the game, Roger Mason, Jr. wasn’t doing much right. If he wasn’t missing shots, he was fumbling balls out of bounds or getting burnt on the defensive end. Then, out of nowhere, he authored his next chapter of game-winning heroics. It’s good to see that even if he’s struggling, Mason has no problem taking and making big shots. On defense, even though he had a lot of points scored on his watch, I thought he showed signs of improvement. His recovery when going around screens is improved and his off the ball awareness is getting more consistent.

I am happy and now we can all say it was a great shot, but... was it a wise shot to take with lots of time in the clock (If I am not mistaken was 8 seconds into the shot clock, so 16 seconds remaining) and the Spurs down by 2 with 20 seconds left?

timvp
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I am happy and now we can all say it was a great shot, but... was it a wise shot to take with lots of time in the clock (If I am not mistaken) and the Spurs down by 2 with 20 seconds left?The Spurs were actually only down one point. I don't think that is a shot you want, especially considering no one was in position for an offensive board. It seemed to surprise everyone.

Except for Mason :smokin

lefty
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I am happy and now we can all say it was a great shot, but... was it a wise shot to take with lots of time in the clock (If I am not mistaken) and the Spurs down by 2 with 20 seconds left?

True, but Mason has major cojones

Clutch shooters don't think at all....

Obstructed_View
02-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I am happy and now we can all say it was a great shot, but... was it a wise shot to take with lots of time in the clock (If I am not mistaken) and the Spurs down by 2 with 20 seconds left?

That's not what got Mason into trouble today. Until further notice, I'll live with letting Mason take a shot in rhythm any time he wants to. That's a far better shot than the Celtics' defense is likely to give them if they're given time to set up. Pop specifically said he wanted them pushing the ball ahead of their D, and Mason did exactly that. He also gave them time to be able to play the free throw game if he missed it. Go for the win on the road.

In other words, when watching it live, I didn't think it was a bad shot.

Manudona
02-08-2009, 10:55 PM
The Spurs were actually only down one point. I don't think that is a shot you want, especially considering no one was in position for an offensive board. It seemed to surprise everyone.

You are right only one point down.

lefty
02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Your are right only one point down.

" Manudona " :lmao

Great screen name :tu

EJFischer
02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
It's interesting to me that you specifically cite Mason's recovery on screens as a positive. I haven't gotten to watch many games on TV this season--I usually have to listen to the radio--but I watched this one and, in the second half especially, thought Mason was half a step slower around the screens than anyone else. Was he a full step slower before, and this is an improvement, or are you seeing something I didn't?

Manudona
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM
" Manudona " :lmao

Great screen name :tu

I guess it does not hide my country of origin, nor my bias towars certain player :)

Capt Bringdown
02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I thought Manu's D was terrible - he was in El Matador mode for most of the game.
His legs of stone made Allen and Pierce look like speed demons on several occasions.

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:05 PM
It's interesting to me that you specifically cite Mason's recovery on screens as a positive. I haven't gotten to watch many games on TV this season--I usually have to listen to the radio--but I watched this one and, in the second half especially, thought Mason was half a step slower around the screens than anyone else. Was he a full step slower before, and this is an improvement, or are you seeing something I didn't?He was about two steps slow a few weeks ago. Larry Brown saw it and began to constantly send him around picks ... and then the rest of the league copied. He's now improved to where he's still not very good but not the totally liability he was just a short time ago.

RMJ has a little bit of bulk to him so it's more difficult for him to get around picks ... especially compared to Bowen and Parker. But yeah, RMJ still can improve even more in that area.

m33p0
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
one thing you can definitely say about Mase is that he's a shooter alright.

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I thought Manu's D was terrible - he was in El Matador mode for most of the game.
His legs of stone made Allen and Pierce look like speed demons on several occasions.Manu did look like he had slow feet on defense, especially when he was trying to chase around Allen. I liked him much better on Pierce, especially when he could body him up.

Biggems
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
TimVp, Finley 5 for 6 on 3's? :lol

is that V Hudg in your sig?

DDS4
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Arguably Bonner's best game. Not necessarily percentage wise in shooting, but his assertiveness and all-round play today must've satisfied Pop to a great degree.

Man Mountain
02-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Arguably Bonner's best game. Not necessarily percentage wise in shooting, but his assertiveness and all-round play today must've satisfied Pop to a great degree.This has to be his best game. Even the CELTICS say he was the difference. How do y'all think his defense was???

Agloco
02-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Nice synopsis, but do you have to keep using that dreadful picture of Pop?

Try this one......

http://www.hakubi.us/lakers/hack-a-shaq/popovich

How bout it timvp? I know you saw the post.......:blah:blah

Cry Havoc
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
The Spurs were actually only down one point. I don't think that is a shot you want, especially considering no one was in position for an offensive board. It seemed to surprise everyone.

Mason has a crazy amount of confidence at this point. I would trust him with any late 4th quarter shot right now. He has so much faith in his shot right now that he's just willing the ball in the hoop.

If it's a close game and it's late, give him the ball and tell him to let fly.

If it's Robert Horry circa '04-05, you tell him to shoot if he has a shot he likes. The same applies with Mason. You CANNOT tell a player like that not to shoot in rhythm, because you destroy his decision making in doing so. His best weapon right now is that he feels a shot, and doesn't hesitate. Don't force him to question that shot selection.

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Arguably Bonner's best game. Not necessarily percentage wise in shooting, but his assertiveness and all-round play today must've satisfied Pop to a great degree.Bonner was definitely good. It'd be nice if he could string together two very good halves ... but that'd be greedy.

I think by nature Bonner has choke-ish tendencies but by giving him so many minutes in clutch situations, Pop is slowly making Bonner more comfortable in tight situations. Pop could easily go to Thomas or even small ball but Bonner getting end of game minutes is extremely valuable and hopefully will pay off at some point in the playoffs.

And that's another example of Pop using the regular season more as an extended preseason . . .

This has to be his best game. Even the CELTICS say he was the difference. How do y'all think his defense was???I thought he defense was good. He defended Garnett about as well as possible. Bonner shined the most on defense late in the game. I didn't notice it as much when I watched it live but re-watching the game, Bonner was extremely active in the last five minutes. He made a few rotations that resulted in valuable stops.

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
How bout it timvp? I know you saw the post.......:blah:blahI wouldn't mind changing the pic but that pic is SFIE (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=536)'s sig. :hat

ElNono
02-08-2009, 11:42 PM
His legs of stone made Allen and Pierce look like speed demons on several occasions.

In Manu's defense I would say that at least two of Allen's curls were a Perkins illegal moving screen... Obviously they don't call that in Boston anymore. I thought he did pretty good on Pierce, considering Pierce has a bigger body (the thing is, Finley was so horrible on Pierce, I wonder if he made Manu look decent)

Solid D
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Amzaing what can happen in the final 60 seconds of a game like this. If Ray makes the bunny layup instead of leaving it short with 56 sec. remaining, the Celtice go up 5. Garnett's jumper going around and out was also a key miss while Matt Bonner's similar offering prior to it had a much more fortunate bounce. Mace's three-pointer only needed a Clint Eastwood squint and thin cigar clenched between his teeth.

The 7 Spurs points in 1.6 seconds were equally amazing.

timvp, I enjoyed your recap. I do think you should give Mike Finley a little more credit for his defense on Paul Pierce today. Fin would not let Paul go to his right very much and he used his solid base to play just physical enough to cramp Pierce's style. I also thought Bonner did a fantastic job of helping in the lane any time Pierce or Allen tried to penetrate. Basically, Pop's team defensive strategy was good in limiting drives and and-1 situations.

When KG gives Matt Bonner props in a press conference, you know something unusual just took place.

The Spurs kept their poise and earned a quality win.

Agloco
02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't mind changing the pic but that pic is SFIE (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=536)'s sig. :hat

:depressed

bostonguy
02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Props to the Spurs. Mason is money in the clutch as it has been proven over the year.

m33p0
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
matt looking gassed in the 3rd was probably the butterflies catching up.

weebo
02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Great game all around by both championship teams.

Solid D
02-09-2009, 12:41 AM

He did look gassed but I think he was also hurting. A few trips prior to his bank-shot three, Matt had gotten kneed in the right thigh by Pierce and then at the other end, Matt was kneed in the "lower region" by Ray Allen. Matt didn't even run back to the other end after it...he was bent over. :)

Blackjack
02-09-2009, 12:43 AM

No, Garnett was busting his ass to beat the Spurs in transition and Bonner got to feel the wrath of Tim and Pop.

You couldn't help but laugh after seeing Bonner do a couple of in-game gassers (doing everything he could to not get his ass chewed-out again) and then bank in a three, when he was clearly out of gas.:lol

whottt
02-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Roger Mason, Jr.

I didn't get to see this @#$# game due to @#$@#$ work...nonetheless, from what I am reading it is now an inescapable conclusion that Mason is clutch. He makes the game altering shots against our biggest opponents...

Yes he hasn't done it in the playoffs for us yet, but at the same time, these are huge regular season games where he's hitting these big shots.

The Mario Elie comparison is a good one for this guy...and his knack for knocking down big shots is the primary reason this team appears it migbht be capaple of making some serious noise in the post season.

I said I'd withold judgement on Mason till he does it against the Celts and the Lakers...which he promptly did.

He's clutch IMHO :tu

Matt Bonner

With six possible Hall of Famers on the court, who woulda thunk that the first half was going to be the Matt Bonner Show? The New Hampshire native scored 16 points in the first two quarters in what amounted to a home game. Scoring from both the perimeter and drives to the bucket, Bonner looked as confident as ever. In the third quarter, Bonner appeared to fatigue – although that didn’t stop him from banking in a three-pointer. After regrouping, Bonner scored a rare clutch basket with under a minute to go in the game. And when I say rare, I mean rare. When was the last time Bonner hit a shot with fewer than five minutes remaining in a game and the score separated by five or less points? You have to go all the way back to Nov. 11 against the Rockets when Bonner hit a three-pointer in the outing that helped catapult him back into the rotation.

Bonner is unfortunately not clutch at all...

That said, every player seems to have that team they just kill for whatever reason...and Bonner's just might be the Celtics, which is almost like being clutch given the fact that the Celts are the defending champions.

A New England boy slaying the New England team isn't that mystifying when you think about it...it kinda makes sense then.

I'm just glad that the team far and away which Bonner seems to have no fear of, is the Celts. That bodes well for us should we make the finals.

That said...Bonner does appear to have Laker-itis as do our other bench players...so that team is going to be a problem, Mason won't be enough.

I was actually excited about having Crosher on the roster for this reason...now?

We need someone else to put out there...

It would be so awesome if we could land Stephen Jackson.

Unfortunatley we won't and I didn't like the way our shooters puckered in LA...

ClingingMars
02-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Props to the Spurs. Mason is money in the clutch as it has been proven over the year.

celtics fans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> faker fans

:toast

ClingingMars
02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I didn't get to see this @#$# game due to @#$@#$ work...nonetheless, from what I am reading it is now an inescapable conclusion that Mason is clutch. He makes the game altering shots against our biggest opponents...

Yes he hasn't done it in the playoffs for us yet, but at the same time, these are huge regular season games where he's hitting these big shots.

The Mario Elie comparison is a good one for this guy...and his knack for knocking down big shots is the primary reason this team appears it migbht be capaple of making some serious noise in the post season.

I said I'd withold judgement on Mason till he does it against the Celts and the Lakers...which he promptly did.

He's clutch IMHO :tu

Matt Bonner

Bonner is unfortunately not clutch at all...

That said, every player seems to have that team they just kill for whatever reason...and Bonner's just might be the Celtics, which is almost like being clutch given the fact that the Celts are the defending champions.

A New England boy slaying the New England team isn't that mystifying when you think about it...it kinda makes sense then.

I'm just glad that the team far and away which Bonner seems to have no fear of, is the Celts. That bodes well for us should we make the finals.

That said...Bonner does appear to have Laker-itis as do our other bench players...so that team is going to be a problem, Mason won't be enough.

I was actually excited about having Crosher on the roster for this reason...now?

Unfortunatley we won't and I didn't like the way our shooters puckered in LA...

I think you need to give Bonner more chances against LA (which won't happen in the regular season, unfortunately). I believe he can come up big.

Avitus1
02-09-2009, 01:41 AM
It was a great game. I am glad to see Hill out on the floor working his game against the defending champs. He's going to just keep getting better and better. Shame he's not in the rookie challenge.

raspsa
02-09-2009, 01:51 AM
I am happy and now we can all say it was a great shot, but... was it a wise shot to take with lots of time in the clock (If I am not mistaken was 8 seconds into the shot clock, so 16 seconds remaining) and the Spurs down by 2 with 20 seconds left?

Mason immediately recognized the pick Duncan set for him and capitalized with an open 3.. any hesitation to take more time off the clock and the defense has a chance to recover.. great instinctive shot by Mason in rhythm..

Blackjack
02-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Mason immediately recognized the pick Duncan set for him and capitalized with an open 3.. any hesitation to take more time off the clock and the defense has a chance to recover.. great instinctive shot by Mason in rhythm..

Pop called the play from the bench.

Roger just executed the play, and the Celtics for that matter.:smokin

timvp
02-09-2009, 01:58 AM

He's clutch IMHO :tuHope you're right. When is the last time the Spurs had a role player who sought out clutch shots? Most clutch role players on the Spurs have been clutch in the sense that they'll hit an open shot. Mason, on the other hand, actively goes out and tries to make clutch baskets.

If he can keep it up, that will be useful in the playoffs . . .

Unfortunatley we won't and I didn't like the way our shooters puckered in LA...As scary as it may sound, I think that clutch role player against the Lakers has to be George Hill. Think about 2003. It wasn't SJax who disrupted PJax's defense, it was Manu's athletic playmaking off the bench. Hill may have to do similar.

PJax can game plan shooters with the best of 'em. As the Suns, Pistons and Celtics showed, athleticism and youthful exuberance is something he can't simply take away.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 02:40 AM
I thought that Hill strip of Rondo at the end of the first quarter was crucial as well.

IIRC, it only showed up a a block in the stats(maybe nba.com fucked up). I thought it should've been a block AND a steal.

whottt
02-09-2009, 02:49 AM
As scary as it may sound, I think that clutch role player against the Lakers has to be George Hill. Think about 2003. It wasn't SJax who disrupted PJax's defense, it was Manu's athletic playmaking off the bench. Hill may have to do similar.

PJax can game plan shooters with the best of 'em. As the Suns, Pistons and Celtics showed, athleticism and youthful exuberance is something he can't simply take away.

True...Hill might be able to pull it off and he had his moments in that Laker game in SA...unfortunately Pop seems to lose faith in Hill pretty easily so that's the reason he kind of fell out of my options. I like Hill a great deal, he's definitely not a choker so hopefully Pop'll give him a chance to show he's got something against LA(something he's already shown he can do once though).

EricB
02-09-2009, 03:03 AM
I believe Bonner proved he could be clutch against LA in the first home game this year, and TAKING and MAKING that shot down 3 in the lane showed clutchness.

timvp
02-09-2009, 03:06 AM
I believe Bonner proved he could be clutch against LA in the first home game this yearDid Bonner even score in the second half of that game?

EricB
02-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Did Bonner even score in the second half of that game?

Was he able to even get a shot off?

I believe Phil was so pissed off about him making shots in the first half he denied him the ball every time.

Also I believe in SA Bonner killed the Hornets as well after having a bad game in New Orleans.

I'm not saying Matt Bonner is Robert Horry. But hes not Hedo Turkoglu either.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-09-2009, 03:23 AM
I was actually waiting for the floodgates to open. Looking at recent history the Spurs are blown out when they do that in the third.

I thought the same. However, to their credit this team is gelling and growing some character. they are on the right track to go deep in the playoffs. :tu

Yeah they both have those wide shoulders.

Yeah, they could be body doubles of each other! :lol

Mo Money's MO. ;)

Manu did look like he had slow feet on defense, especially when he was trying to chase around Allen. I liked him much better on Pierce, especially when he could body him up.

Celts set great picks (a highly underrated fundamental skill), and he was having trouble keeping up with Ray Ray, but he did a good job against Pierce, as you and others have said. Pierce made some ridiculous shots too, as always.

I think it's interesting that Manu and Pierce are both herky-jerky driving types who regularly make incredible circus shots, but PP does it with strength while Manu does it with guile.

I'm not saying Matt Bonner is Robert Horry. But hes not Hedo Turkoglu either.

You mean "Turkoglu as a Spur in the 2004 playoffs". He seems to hit big shots a lot outside of those conditions! :lmao

EricB
02-09-2009, 03:26 AM
You mean "Turkoglu as a Spur in the 2004 playoffs". He seems to hit big shots a lot outside of those conditions

Eh, in the regular season sure.

In the playoffs against Detroit and Toronto last year though, he was his usual gag self.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Damn, watching GSW over the past week, I really would like Turiaf on the Spurs. I'm assuming he's another out of reach big, but he would fill the hole on D completely, imo.

jmard5
02-09-2009, 04:41 AM

Probably because they don't want the Celtics' defense to be properly set up?

That was a hard, solid screen Duncan set against Mason's defender (Allen?), like it was really designed. Makes me wonder if they do really have that play lined-up the moment it is needed.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey timvp, why do you think Pop is set on a 3-man big rotation, when he bitched about it to start the season? I think KT and Fab could both get 15 min a game without taking too much away from Matt. And the small ball doesn't help either.

timvp
02-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Hey timvp, why do you think Pop is set on a 3-man big rotationOberto has basically played his way out of the rotation at this point -- mainly by being unable to rebound. His overall rebounding is down more than 20%, while his defensive rebounding is down more than 35%.

If Oberto doesn't start rebounding better, he can't play. Right now, George Hill and Michael Finley are grabbing more defensive rebounds than Oberto.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 06:14 AM
But he looked promising with quality minutes against Denver, no? Or was his rebounding still subpar? If so, why do you think he's regressed so much? It's not like he just lost all of his spectacular athleticism or something.:lol

wildbill2u
02-09-2009, 06:27 AM
He did look gassed but I think he was also hurting. A few trips prior to his bank-shot three, Matt had gotten kneed in the right thigh by Pierce and then at the other end, Matt was kneed in the "lower region" by Ray Allen. Matt didn't even run back to the other end after it...he was bent over. :)

I don't get to see too many Celtics games but I was surprised at how physical their defense is. It's clear they want to intimidate and beat up the other team.

I mean they are kneeing, grabbing, elbowing, setting hard moving picks, etc. I remember early in the game when Perkins set a moving pick on Manu when he was chasing Allen around a low double screen and it damn near knocked him off his feet. And there were several times when Spurs were knocked to the floor.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Hell, in a 2 minute span in the 2nd half, dudes were falling on both sides. I remember Bonner falling when Hill had the ball.

spurster
02-09-2009, 09:35 AM

If you are down at that point in the game, you need to take your first good shot so that if you miss, you have plenty of time to foul to try to catch up.

m33p0
02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
ouch... didn't catch that one. i had to watch the game over the internets which always suck.

i'd like to take this opportunity to send a big :flipoff to my cable provider for not showing this game but instead chose to air the toronto-memphis rerun. :depressed

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't mind changing the pic but that pic is SFIE (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=536)'s sig. :hat

:lol You do realize that you run this site, right? If you want the picture it's all yours. Between the team defense coming around, the general indifference towards the regular season, and cracks he's made about Tim, Tony, and at George Hill in the huddle yesterday I am almost ready to believe that this is the real Gregg Popovich and not Bizarro Pop.

anakha
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Probably because they don't want the Celtics' defense to be properly set up?

That was a hard, solid screen Duncan set against Mason's defender (Allen?), like it was really designed. Makes me wonder if they do really have that play lined-up the moment it is needed.

Wasn't Mason's game winner against the Clippers early in the season taken off the same Duncan screen play?

m33p0
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
another interesting stat: spurs scored 100+ and won.

mathbzh
02-09-2009, 09:55 AM
If Oberto doesn't start rebounding better, he can't play. Right now, George Hill and Michael Finley are grabbing more defensive rebounds than Oberto.

two rebounds in 62 seconds was spectacular :rolleyes
I wonder if it is too late for him to come back in the rotation.

MarHill
02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I think you need to give Bonner more chances against LA (which won't happen in the regular season, unfortunately). I believe he can come up big.

There is one more regular season with the Lakers on March 12th.

The game is here in San Antonio!

PDXSpursFan
02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
We got lucky on this one. Not only Mason's shot (bad selection), but also the fact that Ray Allen basically gave the ball to Manu.
The Celts give us the same kind of matchup problem we have against the Lakers. Duncan alone can't go against both Garnett and Perkins on the paint. KT helps, but he's basically neutralized by Powe. Bottom line is that we need a REAL center (7-footer, starter-quailty).

de Soto
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
This was an expected outcome by those who know the NBA. Like me. Celtics will always bow to the Spurs.:flag:

Darkwaters
02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
two rebounds in 62 seconds was spectacular :rolleyes
I wonder if it is too late for him to come back in the rotation.

It's true timvp. Statistically, Oberto was one of the best rebounders of all time last night. He pulled down 96 rebounds per 48 minutes. Incredible.

Hollinger eat your heart out.

timvp
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
But he looked promising with quality minutes against Denver, no? Or was his rebounding still subpar? If so, why do you think he's regressed so much? It's not like he just lost all of his spectacular athleticism or something.:lolI'm not sure what the reason is but it could be age. He's 33 so he may have lost a step. For someone who didn't have many steps to begin with, there's a fine line between being able to rebound and not being able to rebound.

Hopefully it isn't age and rather something that is correctable ... such as effort.

Wasn't Mason's game winner against the Clippers early in the season taken off the same Duncan screen play?Yeah, basically. I've been hoping Pop goes to that play more often. Even with the Big Three, that's one of the best plays the Spurs have. If the big doesn't step up, Mason probably nails that shot more often than not.

We got lucky on this one. Not only Mason's shot (bad selection), but also the fact that Ray Allen basically gave the ball to Manu.
The Celts give us the same kind of matchup problem we have against the Lakers. Duncan alone can't go against both Garnett and Perkins on the paint. Characterizing the win as lucky is fair. However, you lost me when you mentioned Garnett in the paint. Bonner goes in the paint more often than KG these days . . .

Spurs Brazil
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Great recap timvp

I think Pop playing Bonner in the 4th quarter was a very good move. He needs to play in those big games to be able to help in the playoffs

Fabbs
02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
27 minutes, seven points, two assists
1-for-4 from the field, 5-for-6 at the line

Prior to his free throws at the end of the fourth, Michael Finley wasn’t very helpful. He struggled finding open space on the offensive end and became a liability on the defensive end. Though he’s played decent defense at times this season, this was certainly not one of those times. Finley’s legs seemed to be dragging and he reactions all seemed to be a beat slow. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what Pop saw to warrant 15 minutes of playing time, much less 27 minutes.

Believe.
Since this has occured over and over to the point of redundancy, could it be a non basketball reason that has Poppy continually overplays Finley? Seriously.

TampaDude
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Roger Mason, Jr.

Yup...though he was kinda shaky most of the game, Roger "big nutz" Mason comes up with yet another game-clinching 3-pointer...could he be the new Horry??? :hat

Fabbs
02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Yup...though he was kinda shaky most of the game, Roger "big nutz" Mason comes up with yet another game-clinching 3-pointer...could he be the new Horry??? :hat
Oh yeah. 4 times already this year. Bring on the start of Horry2 in the playoffs.

Gotta let him take the last shot tho.

angelbelow
02-09-2009, 04:32 PM
i missed the game, was hung over... thanks so much for the recap.

quentin_compson
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the recap.

Well, that has to be one of the biggest wins of this season so far - because Bonner showed that he also can bring it in huge games (as far as Regular Season games go, that is) and Mason proved again he can hit the big shots, even if he is having a subpar game.
I was really worried after the Spurs came out flat in the second half. This phase of the game had "re-enactment of the game in LA" written all over it with the Spurs losing it in a couple of minutes in the third and Pop waving the flag early. But they hung in there and fought back in the fourth quarter.
Manu was great down the stretch with that steal and his free throws. I don't think there is any active player I would rather see at the line for the Spurs in close games than Manu.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I wonder if the NBA is going to continue to allow teams to st such incredibly illegal picks. The Celtics could easily have been called for nearly a dozen of them. If it's not something they're going to call, do the Spurs dare start to hold and move a little more to free up the shooters?

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Nope refs are omnicient when it comes to dirty Spurs tactics... except for Bowen. He's just too crafty.:lmao

EricB
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I wonder if the NBA is going to continue to allow teams to st such incredibly illegal picks. The Celtics could easily have been called for nearly a dozen of them. If it's not something they're going to call, do the Spurs dare start to hold and move a little more to free up the shooters?

The Spurs try to get away with it and cant.

Hell Duncan sometimes sets PERFECT textbook picks and gets called for it.

Its BS.

Solid D
02-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Yeah, there were a couple of pancake blocks by Pierce and Baby.

sananspursfan21
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Finals preview for sure, fun game to watch and sorta had a dramatic ending!

:downspin:

kace
02-09-2009, 06:38 PM
As scary as it may sound, I think that clutch role player against the Lakers has to be George Hill. Think about 2003. It wasn't SJax who disrupted PJax's defense, it was Manu's athletic playmaking off the bench. Hill may have to do similar.

True...Hill might be able to pull it off and he had his moments in that Laker game in SA...unfortunately Pop seems to lose faith in Hill pretty easily so that's the reason he kind of fell out of my options. I like Hill a great deal, he's definitely not a choker so hopefully Pop'll give him a chance to show he's got something against LA(something he's already shown he can do once though).

you're overreacting to a good run of only few minutes from Hill.

the guy is a good rookie, a good PG backup and a good prospect. but he had as many bad moments as good ones lately, especially in clutch time, even if he didn't have to many occasions to shine (remember his awful D against CP3 in the 4th).

to say that the clutch player against LA has to be him is just insane. even it's about the clutch role player.

and to compare him yet with manu is just as insane. manu was yet a proven winner when he came in SA. Hill is very far from it.

K-State Spur
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
The Celts give us the same kind of matchup problem we have against the Lakers. Duncan alone can't go against both Garnett and Perkins on the paint. KT helps, but he's basically neutralized by Powe. Bottom line is that we need a REAL center (7-footer, starter-quailty).

Why was it bad shot selection? It was an open look for a guy who has shown the ability to make those kinds of shots this year. If the Spurs had called timeout before that shot and Pop had drawn up a play, that's the kind of shot that he would have been happy to have ended up with.

Allen did give the ball away, but it should be noted that the Spurs did defend that inbounds pass really really well.

K-State Spur
02-09-2009, 06:51 PM

To avoid hypocrisy, it can be said that Tim gets away with his fair share of leaning (if not outright moving) screens.

But yeah, Perkins is on his own level in that regards.

Solid D
02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Why was it bad shot selection? It was an open look for a guy who has shown the ability to make those kinds of shots this year. If the Spurs had called timeout before that shot and Pop had drawn up a play, that's the kind of shot that he would have been happy to have ended up with.

Allen did give the ball away, but it should be noted that the Spurs did defend that inbounds pass really really well.

After Roger got the rebound the play "Quick 2" was called by Pop for Mace (who was the 2-guard).

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/20090208_mason.mp3

superbigtime
02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
rajon had an axe to grind on tony. maybe rajon still remembers what tony said in a french newspaper about him. im glad tony was still able to have a nice game inspite of the celtics defense that was determined to stop him..

Yeah! I was totally thinking that! I was worried that tony's not-that-insulting comments in some obscure French magazine would get back to Rondo and gave him fuel for his fire. the dude is quick. But Maybe not. He had a pretty crappy game, shooting-wise at least.

Brazil
02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I liked a lot to see the team adapt to the "stop TP" strategy, TP stayed calm, gave 7 assists with only one turnover I guess and the rest of the team showed up in particular bonner that took advantage of the space.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
To avoid hypocrisy, it can be said that Tim gets away with his fair share of leaning (if not outright moving) screens.

If Duncan gets away with "his fair share" of moving screens then there ain't much to go around outside of Boston. As mentioned, Duncan gets called for good screens about as often as he gets away with a bad one.

There's a huge difference between leaning, and reaching out and grabbing someone or never even bothering to set your feet or throwing your weight or your shoulder or your elbow into someone as they come by. Duncan does none of those things. I've seen him start to do the Carlos Boozer push during the occasional PnR switch, but that's about it.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM

I agree. Having re-watched the end of that game, there was a three or four second difference in the game and shot clock. If the Celtics get their defense set, there's not really a better shot you're going to get than that. Mason hits a shot or two like that every single game.

If you run the clock down and miss, then you're pretty much hoping on a desperation three to tie after the free throws.

timvp
02-10-2009, 06:49 AM
you're overreacting to a good run of only few minutes from Hill.Those comments had nothing to do with his game against the Celtics.

(remember his awful D against CP3 in the 4th).Most of Hill's problem against CP3 was due to the gameplan. Pop's gameplan was to go under the screens and let CP3 shoot. In that game, CP3 drained five threes ... which is high for him.

Even as CP3 was scoring continuously against Hill, Pop was fine with it because making him shoot the ball was the gameplan.

to say that the clutch player against LA has to be him is just insane. even it's about the clutch role player. It's not insane if you watched the 2003 series and how the Spurs beat the Lakers. Manu using his athleticism to break down the Lakers' defense was a huge part of why the Spurs won.

Hill's athleticism now is comparable to Manu's athleticism as a rookie. Of the role players, Hill is the only one who can change games with his athleticism. No one is saying Hill is going to have a bigger role than the Big Three but Spurs fans know all too well how spot-up shooters and Phil Jackson aren't a good combination.

And really, your constant anti-Hill sentiment is starting to come across like the CoM's anti-Parker sentiment.

timvp
02-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Why was it bad shot selection? It was an open look for a guy who has shown the ability to make those kinds of shots this year. If RMJ misses that shot, Spurs fans are roasting him and labeling him the goat. That shot going in erased all of his negatives, even the awkwardness of the shot itself.

If Duncan gets away with "his fair share" of moving screens then there ain't much to go around outside of Boston. As mentioned, Duncan gets called for good screens about as often as he gets away with a bad one. The only type of illegal pick Duncan usually gets away with is when he pivots with the ball to pick off a defender. That is technically illegal but Duncan doesn't get called for it very often.

But yeah, I gave up on the Spurs opponents getting called for illegal screens when Eric Dampier spent the entire 2006 series moving, grabbing and holding on ever freakin' screen in that series.

Not that I'm bitter . . .

polandprzem
02-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Few things

#-1 Good that I was able to watch that game
#0 The quality was not high but the second half was all good (the 1st. one was more like picture viewing with commentary)

#1 - The most important thing in this agem and esp. this season is that the spurs stays sharp. They have no break downs (there were few this season like Phily game but that's nothing cosidering this is NBA 82 games in 85 nights). Well all in all they are not letting team get on them and they have no excuses at all. LAst year it was Manu who had to take a heavy lifting all year long along with other two guys from the spurs well known trio. This year Spurs are looking really fresh. As much as they can. And also they have more optons then they had last year. They are more versitile. Still they are not where LA or Cleveland or Boston are. But they are going constantly in the right direction. Like I was hoping the spurs can flip the switch last year. This year it looks like they are flipping it very slowly, just to hear it click on April, May and June.
Also - after such long break they were not rusty - how can they? As pro's they must be well rested and that's it. I always was pissed about that rust excuse. And again the noon game and we walked away with the win. :tu

#2 Bonner did just fine, but he is unsure element of the spurs S5

#3 Hill - dayum every time this kid goes inside I see him as a rider without a head. He throws his body without control out there and everytime he hits the floor I'm hoping his knees or ankles are all right. Frankly - he is jumping on a bungee without a bungee (rope) :rolleyes

#4 Manu is getting better. Good. Hopefully he can extend his getting back into shape process till April. Then I would love to see him full force for the playoffs.

#5 Maybe I'm find some time (motivation)to discuss about this game later.

kace
02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Those comments had nothing to do with his game against the Celtics.

Most of Hill's problem against CP3 was due to the gameplan. Pop's gameplan was to go under the screens and let CP3 shoot. In that game, CP3 drained five threes ... which is high for him.

Even as CP3 was scoring continuously against Hill, Pop was fine with it because making him shoot the ball was the gameplan.

It's not insane if you watched the 2003 series and how the Spurs beat the Lakers. Manu using his athleticism to break down the Lakers' defense was a huge part of why the Spurs won.

Hill's athleticism now is comparable to Manu's athleticism as a rookie. Of the role players, Hill is the only one who can change games with his athleticism. No one is saying Hill is going to have a bigger role than the Big Three but Spurs fans know all too well how spot-up shooters and Phil Jackson aren't a good combination.

And really, your constant anti-Hill sentiment is starting to come across like the CoM's anti-Parker sentiment.

you make a lot of comments and thoughts on this board and most of them are very interesting and very true.

please accept we can disagree with some of them without being labeled in the "Church of ..." or the "....-hater".

i've always said and found Hill a great young backup PG and a great prospect.
but i still think expecting him to be a difference maker, especially in a PO serie against LA, this year is too soon and not reasonable. i'll be the first pleased if the kid proves me wrong but till then i'll stay with my opinion.

and manu was yet a proven winner when he joined the spurs. Hill is not.

Few things

#3 Hill - dayum every time this kid goes inside I see him as a rider without a head. He throws his body without control out there and everytime he hits the floor I'm hoping his knees or ankles are all right. Frankly - he is jumping on a bungee without a bungee (rope) :rolleyes

arent' you afraid of being labeled a Hill hater with those kind of comments ??

EricB
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM
God Kace, don't get all butt hurt....

kace
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
God Kace, don't get all butt hurt....

no problem, it's really not a big deal. my poor english doesn't allow me a lot of nuance so it could appear more straightforward that i meant.

i still don't see what could make me a Hill hater just because i think he won't be our savior against LA.

timvp
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
please accept we can disagree with some of them without being labeled in the "Church of ..." or the "....-hater".I didn't label you either one of those. But I have noticed an anti-Hill sentiment lately whenever he's been mentioned. Perhaps I'm wrong . . .

i've always said and found Hill a great young backup PG and a great prospect.
but i still think expecting him to be a difference maker, especially in a PO serie against LA, this year is too soon and not reasonable. i'll be the first pleased if the kid proves me wrong but till then i'll stay with my opinion.Again, it's not a matter of how good Hill is. It's more of a matter of what Phil Jackson can shut down. If he wants to, he can take RMJ and Bonner out of a series. He could take Finley out of a series. But taking Hill out of a series wouldn't be as simple as making a specific defensive game plan.

and manu was yet a proven winner when he joined the spurs. Hill is not.Manu isn't the only role player to ever have success against Phil Jackson. Last year in the finals, Leon Powe's athleticism and youthful exuberance accounted for a good amount of the Celtics' success. Comparing Hill and Powe isn't a huge stretch.

Even Leandro Barbosa destroyed Jackson's defense and Barbosa is about the opposite of a proven winner.

arent' you afraid of being labeled a Hill hater with those kind of comments ??I don't think I've labeled anyone a Hill hater.

EricB
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I think Hill hasn't been here long enough to have a church or haters :lol

kace
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Manu isn't the only role player to ever have success against Phil Jackson. Last year in the finals, Leon Powe's athleticism and youthful exuberance accounted for a good amount of the Celtics' success. Comparing Hill and Powe isn't a huge stretch.

You can compare Powe and Hill.
but Leon Powe had ONE good game and was a total non-factor in the five others against LA.

Even Leandro Barbosa destroyed Jackson's defense and Barbosa is about the opposite of a proven winner.

Barbosa can finish at the rim. Hill is very erratic in this aspect of his game.

EricB
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
You can compare Powe and Hill.
but Leon Powe had ONE good game and was a total non-factor in the five others against LA.

Barbosa can finish at the rim. Hill is very erratic in this aspect of his game.

Your misunderstanding.

Barbosa is a quick, athletic guard who disrupts things with his quickness, and Jackson has a hardtime gameplanning for that.

Thats what he means I believe.