PDA

View Full Version : Holt is cheap, he'll give money towards GOP candidates but not towards better players

spursfan30000
02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
While other owners are willing to pay luxury taxes to greaten their teams chance of success, Peter Holt is donating money towards Republican political candidates (about $120K worth.
http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/peter-holt.asp?cycle=08) and avoiding every type of tax possible, including the NBA's luxury tax.

If the Spurs want another solid big man anytime soon, they will likely have to get of rid Peter "maybe sober" Holt first.

I for one am sick of this every other year championship routine. We should be winning it every year, Holt passing on Tiago Splitter, Luis Scola and Stephen Jackson to name a few are unexcusable.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
He donated to Charlie Gonzalez and Ciro Rodriguez.

ElNono
02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
It's his money, what do you care? Plus he put the money up when TD, TP and Manu resigned/extended.

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Damn, talk about coming out of the gates swinging . . .

spursfan30000
02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
It's his money, what do you care? Plus he put the money up when TD, TP and Manu resigned/extended.

"His money" is a term generally frowned upon, especially by the players union. The guy is a drunk and a cheap ass. Besides, he won't have any money once his cheap ways start taking precedent on the team. Tim Duncan can't play forever.

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Holt looks pretty darn sober these days. :td @ drunk smack

CubanMustGo
02-08-2009, 09:28 PM
$120K isn't shit when it comes to NBA player contracts. What are you, Holt's momma?

Unless you've got a couple hundred mil to buy Holt out, GTFO with your crap smack talk.

ElNono
02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
"His money" is a term generally frowned upon, especially by the players union. The guy is a drunk and a cheap ass. Besides, he won't have any money once his cheap ways start taking precedent on the team. Tim Duncan can't play forever.

He only has 4 championships and the model NBA franchise for the last decade to look back to... :rolleyes

MarHill
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM

That's an unfair shot!

Holt has done everything he can to the Spurs a viable franchise. He doesn't have a huge TV network contract like the Knicks does or the brand recognition of the Lakers.

This is a business and he has done a good job for a pro team in South Texas.

spursfan30000
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
$120K isn't shit when it comes to NBA player contracts. What are you, Holt's momma?

Unless you've got a couple hundred mil to buy Holt out, GTFO with your crap smack talk.

First of all, he's not selling for anything under 800 Mil, and the Spurs are not worth that much. $120k goes a lot towards saving tax money in his regard.

Excuse me for pointing out that a rich drunk, who happens to be cheap is in charge of the spurs. If it wasn't for the front office staff this team would blow hard.

ElNono
02-08-2009, 09:34 PM
First of all, he's not selling for anything under 800 Mil, and the Spurs are not worth that much. $120k goes a lot towards saving tax money in his regard.

Excuse me for pointing out that a rich drunk, who happens to be cheap is in charge of the spurs. If it wasn't for the front office staff this team would blow hard.

Hi Louis...

lefty
02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Word

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
He donated to Charlie Gonzalez and Ciro Rodriguez.

Noted Republicans.

scanry
02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
LJ, are the Spurs losing money?

Even though ball clubs like Cleveland, LA, Dallas & New York have some of the biggest payroll, they still make money off marketing. How are the Spurs in that department?

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Holt owns about 20% of the Spurs. Are the rest of the owners cheap too, or just Holt? Did you look up all of their contributions and finances? :lol

Anyway, the drunk comment is a cheap shot. Tone it down. He's a recovering alcoholic; not a current drunk.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Most successful franchise in sports over the last ten years.

/thread

MarHill
02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Holt owns about 20% of the Spurs. Are the rest of the owners cheap too, or just Holt? Did you look up all of their contributions and finances? :lol

Anyway, the drunk comment is a cheap shot. Tone it down. He's a recovering alcoholic; not a current drunk.

Thanks Kori!

You can criticize someone..but taking personal shots is uncalled for!

:flag:

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Even though ball clubs like Cleveland, LA, Dallas & New York have some of the biggest payroll, they still make money off marketing. How are the Spurs in that department?

Making money.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/126027

scanry
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM

I think when people hear Holt talking, he sounds drunk (i don't think he looks drunk though).

However you can't take a cheap shot at Holt though, he's probably one of the better owners we have in the NBA.

BTW who owns the other 80%? I know that David and the city of San Antonio owns a %, but who are the rest? Mccomb?

Shastafarian
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Outstanding first three posts spursfan30000. Really, you're doin a bang up job. Maybe next time you can complain about Tim playing too many video games? Or Manu not spending enough money on covering his bald spot.

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Even though ball clubs like Cleveland, LA, Dallas & New York have some of the biggest payroll, they still make money off marketing. How are the Spurs in that department?I'd say they are still in the black, although this downswing in the economy has illustrated pretty clearly that San Antonio can't handle a second pro franchise (read: NFL). The Spurs have had to do a lot of restructuring just to stay competitive in this one-team town.

scanry
02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Making money.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/126027

Thanks, but what does Debt/value mean?

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 09:58 PM
That amount donated is less than what Darius Washington was paid last season.

= championship!

Spur-Addict
02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
:lol

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I think when people hear Holt talking, he sounds drunk (i don't think he looks drunk though).

However you can't take a cheap shot at Holt though, he's probably one of the better owners we have in the NBA.

BTW who owns the other 80%? I know that David and the city of San Antonio owns a %, but who are the rest? Mccomb?

I believe there are 22 investors (or so) that make up the ownership group - both individuals and companies.

DPG21920
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks, but what does Debt/value mean?

I think it has to do with the equity in the franchise for each owner. It is the amount of all current debts that exist divided by the most recent valuation of the franchise.

It kind of tells you whether or not they have equity in the franchise, the lower the the Debt/Value the better.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM

= championship!

:lol

Fat lot of good it did the GOP now that you mention it...

Kori Ellis
02-08-2009, 10:09 PM

This is from a few years back but it's probably still close. At the time Holt owned 30% I think (I said 20 earlier, but I think closer to 30).

The Spurs ownership group currently has nineteen investors and are members of a limited liability company known as San Antonio Spurs, L.L.C.

The ownership group has a seven-person governing and decision-making body and Peter M. Holt serves as the Chairman of the group.

Listed below are the current members of San Antonio Spurs, L.L.C.: ARAMARK RBI, Inc., Raymond Joseph Barshick, Raul S. Cantu Trust, Richard Cantu Trust, Clear ChannelCommunications Inc., George C. Hixon, H.H. Sports, Ltd., IBC Capital Corporation, Sylvan Stephen Lang,James R. Leininger, Paul R. Markey, Jeanne Lang Mathews, R&B Partnership (Russell and Bruce Hill), David M. Robinson, Southwest Business Corporation, SBC Communications Inc., Felix L. Stehling, Valero Energy Corporation, Zachry Hospitality Corporation.

ClingingMars
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Damn, talk about coming out of the gates swinging . . .

http://ui08.gamespot.com/1735/failed_2.jpg

ClingingMars
02-08-2009, 10:13 PM

= championship!

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

i laughed out loud

Jmoney
02-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Get your facts straight

Listed below are the teams paying lux tax and how much

2005-06 $61.7 million* Knicks ($37.2), Mavs ($17.3), Magic ($7.8), Pacers ($4.7), Grizzlies ($3.7), Spurs ($0.9) 2006-07 $65.42 million Knicks ($45.1), Mavs ($7.2), Nuggets ($2.0), T-Wolves ($1.0), Spurs ($0.2) 2007-08 $67.865 million Knicks ($19.7), Mavs ($19.6), Cavs ($14.0), Nuggets ($13.6), Heat ($8.3), Celtics ($8.2), Lakers ($5.1), Suns ($3.9)
Take note of the fact over the last few years the Spurs are on the list. Once for 900,000 and another for 200,000.

George Gervin's Afro
02-08-2009, 10:27 PM
While other owners are willing to pay luxury taxes to greaten their teams chance of success, Peter Holt is donating money towards Republican political candidates (about $120K worth.
http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/peter-holt.asp?cycle=08) and avoiding every type of tax possible, including the NBA's luxury tax.

If the Spurs want another solid big man anytime soon, they will likely have to get of rid Peter "maybe sober" Holt first.

I for one am sick of this every other year championship routine. We should be winning it every year, Holt passing on Tiago Splitter, Luis Scola and Stephen Jackson to name a few are unexcusable.

:rolleyes

SPURS vs NBA media
02-08-2009, 10:29 PM

get a life

itzsoweezee
02-08-2009, 10:29 PM
i hate that motherfucker. fucking wino.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I saw SpursReport beginning to suck really badly, plus they put on a zillion stupid pop-up ads, plus their server must have been a 10 year old Gateway box on the back porch. So I came here.

Threads like this make me think this is starting to be a waste of time. Really lame juvenile borderline-retard types spewing idiocy.

I thought of responding but seriously why? The OP is not going to change.

I'll give this board a few more days but I may be outta here too.

Quality posts anyone?

saxman
02-08-2009, 10:46 PM

spursfan30000, how much money did you contribute?

Compare your contributions to Peter Holt's contributions and then think about how ridiculus your statement is - "Holt is cheap.."

ploto
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Holt owns more of the Spurs than anyone else, but he is really the Chairman of the Board. They could remove him from that position if they wanted- that is, the rest of the owners.

Sec24Row7
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I saw SpursReport beginning to suck really badly, plus they put on a zillion stupid pop-up ads, plus their server must have been a 10 year old Gateway box on the back porch. So I came here.

Threads like this make me think this is starting to be a waste of time. Really lame juvenile borderline-retard types spewing idiocy.

Quality posts anyone?

The guy who started this thread is a douchebag... but I'm not here for your fucking entertainment.

If you are going to be a judgmental dumbfuck about the quality of this board then good riddance.

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
The guy who started this thread is a douchebag... but I'm not here for your fucking entertainment.

If you are going to be a judgmental dumbfuck about the quality of this board then good riddance.
Yeah, looking to a guy making his first post on the board probably isn't the best way to go if you are searching for quality . . .

DPG21920
02-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Quality posts anyone?

http://www.noobstore.com/prodimages/sign-gtfo-400.jpg

vander
02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
seriously Kori, when are you going to put limits on thread starting, crap like this is getting more and more prevalent every day. 1000 posts before you can start threads, or 500, or 100 whatever, just make people join other conversations for a while first, before they go making a fool of themselves.

Ditty
02-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I wish Mr.Butt owned the spurs he is worth $2 billion if so we would have won at least 4 more championships ha

Man Mountain
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Quality posts anyone?
you wanted quality and you first headed to spursreport :lmao:lmao

Death In June
02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
I think he has somewhat of a point. If someone like jerry jones had decided to keep his nose out of the gm business and financed the spurs, the team would most definitely be better.

angelbelow
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
dude whatever makes him happy. he can do whatever he wants.. absolutely nothing wrong with this.

angelbelow
02-09-2009, 12:30 AM

Quality posts anyone?

then you dont have to be here. did that ever cross your mind kid?

Brutalis
02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I agree in some aspect. He shortchanged SJax so he left us, and wouldn't buy out Scola. So he is cheap to some extent.

Brutalis
02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Oh snap, and to add there was good reason he didn't offer SJax more. If so, Manu probably would not have been here today. Can't pay em all..

Rapper
02-09-2009, 12:44 AM

= championship!

CubanSucks
02-09-2009, 01:04 AM

Are you fucking kidding me? Shut the fuck up. You're a spoiled fucking douchebag. And, Stephen Jackson was trying to jew his way into more money. Let's not forget he wasn't as good of a player back then with the Spurs as he is now in a system offense.

Ditty
02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Rc And Pop=championship

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Oh snap, and to add there was good reason he didn't offer SJax more. If so, Manu probably would not have been here today. Can't pay em all..

well they did end up paying for turgo more than what he was worth compared to jax.... :(

Kori Ellis
02-09-2009, 01:41 AM

Quality posts anyone?

It's the guy's first post on the board. He probably came over from SpursReport too. :lol

Anyway... Instead of complaining (not just you - others too), why not just ignore the thread and start one of substance?

I have said here many times, if you don't post in bad threads, they are gone from the front page in a matter of minutes. Every busy forum has a fair amount of trash, but if the good posters learn how to ignore it and contribute to the other threads (or start good threads of their own), then things balance out.

This isn't all directed at you. I just quoted you for the first part.

baseline bum
02-09-2009, 01:57 AM
This is a sick fucking joke. Duncan is being paid $20 million. Parker $12m. Ginobili $10m. Thomas $4.2m. Bowen $4m. Oberto, Mason, and Bonner all around $3m. The Spurs haven't traded their draft picks the way Sarver did in Phoenix. They always spend their MLE. They spend their LLE every other year when it's available. Holt and Co. is by far the best ownership group the Spurs have ever had. The Spurs would never have the success they currently enjoy under any other ownership group in the history of the franchise. If you want to see a cheap-ass ownership group, go back to the one that wouldn't pay Strickland and brought in a cheap scrub from Europe, Vinny Del Negro, to run the team (that worked well).

wijayas
02-09-2009, 02:05 AM

1. If you think you can get a decent NBA player at 120K, you are completely drunk!
2. If you are suggesting Holt to pay luxury tax, will you donate?
3. If you are suggesting Holt to sell the Spurs to the lowest bidder who is then willing to pay the luxury tax, you are either stupid or crazy.

Conclusion: Your smack talk is drunk, cheap (since you wont donate) and stupid/crazy.

Mister Sinister
02-09-2009, 02:11 AM
PETER HOLT, WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS TEAM IN A CAVE! ....WITH A BUNCH OF SCRAPS!

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2009, 02:46 AM
there was a time i reckon we couldve won at least 4-5 rings in a row, had we overspend just on one our players to keep them.....

timvp
02-09-2009, 02:47 AM
I for one am sick of this every other year championship routine. I missed this line the first time around. :wow

Hopefully this was a troll and not a representation of Spurs fans.

EricB
02-09-2009, 03:11 AM
I'll take the every other year routine 4 or 5 more times....

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
He needs to fork up the dough and sign Splitter. This is becoming an embarrassment. lol you dumbasses make us noobs look bad. i hate to see what your other 4 posts say. do you even know why splitter is not a spur right now??? you bumped a 4 month old thread to say that. lol :idiot

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 02:06 AM

The city of SA doesn't own any percentage. They're not owners.

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Why do people constantly put so much weight on Holt? I know he's the only owner you hear about and see on tv but still, why?

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2009, 02:47 AM
Why do people constantly put so much weight on Holt? I know he's the only owner you hear about and see on tv but still, why?

because david robinson is immune to such posts

bdictjames
06-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Wow. So a basketball team is more important than government leadership? I love the Spurs, but if I was American and I believed in those candidates to do good in their positions, I'd be thankful for Holt to do that too.

buttsR4rebounding
06-23-2009, 06:13 AM

No, $120,000 doesn't go anywhere in saving tax money. Second, your disdain for people with money is quite evident. If he wants to drink then so be it as long as he doesn't get behind the wheel which no one has ever indicated. As far as being cheap the Spurs were right in the middle of the pack for salary last year even though they are in one of the smallest markets in the NBA. Finally, he has indeed hired a capable front office staff. This is a sign of good management, not bad.

If you are going to continue to post here (and please don't feel obligated) try to use a few facts, try to hide your jealousy of successful businesmen, and on second thought maybe this would be your best course of action: www.mavtalk.com (http://www.mavtalk.com). :nope

TheProfessor
06-23-2009, 07:15 AM
He needs to fork up the dough and sign Splitter. This is becoming an embarrassment.
I'd say your lack of knowledge concerning the NBA rookie salary scale is pretty embarrassing.

exstatic
06-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I missed this line the first time around. :wow

Hopefully this was a troll and not a representation of Spurs fans.

Actually, I'd say that was the average two years or less poster on ST.

exstatic
06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
He needs to fork up the dough and sign Splitter. This is becoming an embarrassment.

Hey, dumbass: do you know what the rookie first round salary scale is?

ChumpDumper
06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
The rookie scale is only a limiting possibility for one year. Splitter has said he wishes to play in the NBA.So you are against signing Splitter now.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2009, 02:29 PM
But only for the rookie scale, which was the reason he didn't sign here in the first place.

cherylsteele
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Holt is sober....you are not.

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Props to Holt for stepping up bigtime to get this trade done today. As for Splitter, the Spurs can legally contribute like $350k to his buyout. I'd love to have him this year, but no way he's walking from the money he has overseas to basically come play here free for this coming year.

rayray2k8
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
You were saying? (Direct towards the original poster and the one who bumped the thread)

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
This is by far the best ownership group the Spurs have ever had.

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Where is the maximum contribution outlined? Is it in the CBA? This is the same issue with anyone drafting Ricky Rubio

Apparently it has been bumped up to $500,000 with the new CBA ($350k was with the CBA negotiated during the lockout).

Here it is directly from the CBA:

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-VII_3.php

(2) Subject to Article XIII, any payment of $500,000 or less paid by or at the direction of any NBA Team pursuant to Section 3(e)(1) above (the “$500,000 exclusion”), shall not be deemed Salary to the player.

It's section 3e on the link.

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Fuck, Splitter would be awesome to have right now.