PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Bonner's Homecoming Becomes A Big Success

duncan228
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Bonner's homecoming becomes a big success (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bonners_homecoming_becomes_a_big_success.html)
Jeff McDonald

BOSTON — A few days before Spurs center Matt Bonner was to return to his old stomping grounds for Sunday's game against the Celtics, his father called with a simple request.

“He said if I could get 100 free passes, that would be great,” Bonner said.

It turns out two busloads of Bonner fans made the 70-mile drive down Interstate 93 from Concord, N.H., to watch their town's favorite son play against its favorite team.

Bonner rewarded his fan club with his best game of the season, pouring in a season-high 23 points to help the Spurs to a 105-99 victory. He had 14 during a sizzling second quarter in which he made 6 of 7 shots and the Spurs outscored Boston 38-29.

Surprisingly, Bonner did not do the bulk of his scoring from 3-point range (he was 3 of 6.) Instead, Bonner unleashed an offensive arsenal of pull-up jumpers and running hooks not seen since his days at Concord High.

In the second quarter, Bonner even drove past Kevin Garnett — the league's reigning defensive player of the year — for a basket.

“Matt Bonner was the key to the game,” Boston's Kendrick Perkins said. “You take away his points, we win.”

It was all quite a turnabout for Bonner, who did not play in either of his two previous visits to Boston with the Spurs. After emerging as a starting center, Bonner was guaranteed time on Sunday — hence the caravan from Concord.

He made it an afternoon to remember.

“At the end of the game, when we had wrapped it up and they were fouling us, I got goosebumps,” Bonner said.

Crying foul: Ray Allen accused Manu Ginobili of illegally crossing the out-of-bounds line to get the fourth-quarter steal that essentially sealed the game for the Spurs.

Allen said he addressed the issue with official Ron Garretson before being handed the ball to start the play.

“I told Ron before the play, Ginobili is supposed to be a certain distance from me,” Allen said. “I told Ron that he had to back off.”

Boston coach Doc Rivers said he didn't think Ginobili committed a violation. Either way, Rivers would have preferred Allen use a timeout in that situation.

Stinging back: Spurs guard George Hill briefly lost feeling his left arm after Boston's Glen Davis slammed him to the ground in the fourth quarter.

“It was like a stinger, my arm went numb,” Hill said. “I was just trying to get the feeling back. That's why I stayed down so long.”

After a brief timeout, Hill made 1 of 2 free throws. An unheralded contributor to the Spurs' victory, Hill scored all seven of his points during a span of 2:17 in the final quarter.

A girl's best friend: Rivers said he did not have a problem with the $15,000 fine the league levied at him for verbally abusing officials in a loss to the Lakers last week. He can't say the same for his wife.

“She said make sure that doesn't hurt me on Valentine's Day,” Rivers said.

honestfool84
02-08-2009, 10:26 PM
“I told Ron before the play, Ginobili is supposed to be a certain distance from me,” Allen said. “I told Ron that he had to back off.”

Boston coach Doc Rivers said he didn't think Ginobili committed a violation. Either way, Rivers would have preferred Allen use a timeout in that situation.

this is why i hate allen.
and there are not many players that i hate.

EricB
02-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Can Ray Allen ever lose gracefully?

timvp
02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Ray Allen turning into a whining douchebag against the Spurs?

Shocking.

m33p0
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
he reminds me of that guy who used to play for the thunder when they were still called the sonics and played in seattle. come to think of it, his name was ray allen, too.

CubanMustGo
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Fey Allen needs some of this:

http://nsaney.com/pics/cry_baby_shampoo.gif

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Speaking of Allen, I liked when Manu got a little chippy with him and the ref had to step between the two players. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the gameplan wasn't to rough up Allen to try to get in his head. He's melted down against the Spurs at least a couple of times in his career.

Shastafarian
02-08-2009, 11:18 PM
“I told Ron that he had to back off.”

Ray is a jack of all trades. He's an actor, a basketball player, and now he moonlights as a referee

DDS4
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Speaking of Allen, I liked when Manu got a little chippy with him and the ref had to step between the two players. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the gameplan wasn't to rough up Allen to try to get in his head. He's melted down against the Spurs at least a couple of times in his career.

Ahhh.....Bruce needs more PT baby.

Thompson
02-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Ahhh.....Bruce needs more PT baby.

I'd save it for the Finals just in case, a few useful techs. Then again, if the Celtics don't have homecourt, they probably won't even make it past the Cavs anyway.

On a sidenote, I've heard people insult Allen before, but this is the first time I've ever seen it myself. He committed a major error and tries to blame Manu after the game? That's pretty sad.

Yorae
02-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Gay Allen.

FreeMason
02-08-2009, 11:55 PM
He looks like a camel when he chews gum.

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
31v5qJYBNuw

Weird editing but cool video overall :tu

td4mvp21
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Bonner was great today. Very agressive.

wisnub
02-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I love Bonner...I think all of Spurstalk member have to appreciate what he did, he always give all to his team and work extra hard in practice and in court as well

MI21
02-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Ray Allen is full of shit.

Ginobili is allowed to be as close to him as he wants so long as no part of his body (including hands) actually reaches over the sideline. Similar to the scoring of a touchdown in NFL, there is the invisible plain above the line that must be broken, in the NBA, it musn't be broken.

Why the fuck does Ray Allen have such a problem with people defending him? I used to like the guy but now...

SpursFanFirst
02-09-2009, 01:07 AM
“He said if I could get 100 free passes, that would be great,” Bonner said.

:lol Now I see where Matt learned his thrifty ways.

igorotme
02-09-2009, 01:55 AM
im sorry if this is already post...

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31v5qJYBNuw&eurl=http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Kevin+Gray's+Gray+Matter%3A+ Bonner's+homecoming+heroics&feature=player_embedded

Blackjack
02-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Watch how you word the titles...

I thought you were some sick bastard with a dog fetish for a second there.

Spurs Brazil
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Great to see Bonner playing well in front of his fans

If we meet the C's in the Finals we may see him average 20PPG :)