PDA

View Full Version : After todays win do the spurs still make a trade?

TheSpursFNRule
02-08-2009, 10:42 PM
After todays win against the reigning champion Celtics do you think the spurs front office is still looking for potential trade scenarios? Its weird to keep hearing guys like Sheed, Carter, Miller or Salmons come up in rumors and now throwing Horry's name in the mix to get a trade across. It seems like there trying to put something together. Or maybe they'll just stand pat.

Ghazi
02-08-2009, 10:43 PM
standing pat = doom

mystargtr34
02-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I think they have to. They cant be naive and think Bonner can put up 23 and 8 consistantly against the leagues best teams.

Agloco
After todays win against the reigning champion Celtics do you think the spurs front office is still looking for potential trade scenarios? Its weird to keep hearing guys like Sheed, Carter, Miller or Salmons come up in rumors and now throwing Horry's name in the mix to get a trade across. It seems like there trying to put something together. Or maybe they'll just stand pat.

TRADE ALL OF THOSE LOSERS. ESPECIALLY DUNCAN!!!! CLEAR SOME CAP SPACE TO BRING IN EUROPEAN TALENT..........

There, I did it....... that was cathartic.

lefty
Let's trade Mason, Bonner and Hill for a 40 y/o undersized big.

m33p0
02-08-2009, 10:45 PM
trade for who with what?

getting anyone that will put the spurs on top will have to be gift-wrapped.

Ditty
02-08-2009, 10:48 PM
i would trade sheed for bonner in a heart beat bonner has no chance against KG in a 7 game series espically against kendrick perkins who just overpowered bonner today

salmons for horry i can seee all this happening

pull it off spurs lets get younger

and better

Obstructed_View
02-08-2009, 10:48 PM
No, but the Spurs are going to need Oberto to show up and start playing.

Duncan2177
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
During todays game when pop talked he said the spurs cant beat the lakers and celtics in a seven game series, I think thats a indication the spurs will make a trade.

ducks
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I think they have to. They cant be naive and think Bonner can put up 23 and 8 consistantly against the leagues best teams.

showed up against jazz and boston

timvp
02-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I doubt this game makes a difference in whether or not the Spurs will make a trade. Their pieces are well known at this point. The only thing that can affect a trade in these final ten days is probably an injury.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I doubt this game makes a difference in whether or not the Spurs will make a trade. Their pieces are well known at this point. The only thing that can affect a trade in these final ten days is probably an injury.

spurs should cut hairston

make a trade...add finley to all trades possible and have them buy him out to sign back with us. we will come out with this trade with at leasts 1-2 open roster spots....sign marbury to minimum to play backup to tp, and sign another big/wing player......

florige
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Rasheed is the only high profile person I think that would complement this team and its needs best right now. If we get Sheed championship guaranteed!

florige
02-08-2009, 11:00 PM
spurs should cut hairston

make a trade...add finley to all trades possible and have them buy him out to sign back with us. we will come out with this trade with at leasts 1-2 open roster spots....sign marbury to minimum to play backup to tp, and sign another big/wing player......

The last two guards the Spurs signed during the season completley backfired. I say no to Marbury.

Rogue
02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
spurs don't need any trade to make themselve the best team in the west, they already are. but spurs will still have interest in some steals like "elson+barry for KT+barry of LLE".

Capt Bringdown
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
If Spurs stand pat, they have little chance against the Lakers. A win against the Celtics is fool's gold, this season the championship goes thru LA.

vander
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
If they're smart they'd be shopping Manu, he's hardly more than an overpriced Eduardo Najera at this point :devil

xtremesteven33
02-08-2009, 11:09 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=883~1996~83~2774~2805~3233&teams=24~8~8~8~8~8&te=&cash=

Maybe??? Throw in a couple of draft picks??

TheSpursFNRule
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
There is no way this team could beat LA in a 7 game series and Popovich realizing that is crucial to the front office making any movement. I see a trade coming, if you packaged Finley and a few others(Not Mason or Hill..I hope) you could get results. They need a big guy so bad, watching Kendrick Perkins today was evidence of it.

TheSpursFNRule
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I find it weird that everyday I hear a new rumor like New Jersey reporting talks about Carter, and Sacramento about Salmons or Miller....they have to be up to something and its driving me fucking crazy.

crc21209
02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
The Big 3 + Mason, Hill, Bowen, & Thomas I think should be untouchable. Finley, Udoka, Vaughn, and maybe Oberto I can deal without. I say we do this Salmons or Miller for Horry or something.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
get rasho back or someshit....

SouthTexasRancher
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM

I say we trade that worthless Ime Udoka for a Playboy Playmate. If that meets with your approval I'll place a call to Hef. Just let me know which month of what year you want and I'll have her on the Spurs bench for the next home game after the Rodeo Road Trip. In fact I could probably convince Hef to part with 4 Playmates if we throw in Finley and Ian Mihimi since he'll never play for the Spurs anyway! That would be a sweet 3 for 4 deal. We need to keep Vaughn just in case something were to happen to Tony or Hill.

galvatron3000
02-08-2009, 11:31 PM
perhaps the Bucks want to cut some salary and trade Villanueva for Bonner

xtremesteven33
02-08-2009, 11:35 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=883~1996~242~2774~2805~874~323 3&teams=24~8~8~8~8~8~8&te=&cash=

Maybe this.....Damnit we have to get Sheed!!

02-08-2009, 11:41 PM
spurs don't have the expiring contracts to make a trade this year. if anything, it will be small. maybe a trade for a player who earns $3-4 million. i really don't see the pistons trading wallace to the spurs for contracts that don't expire next year. if wallace is available, other teams with expiring contracts + young talent will definitely get priority over the spurs. the vince carter rumor is quite hilarious and brad miller is just not coming over because, again, there are other teams that can make better offers. spurs have no other choice but hope thomas/oberto/hill all decide to show up during the playoffs.

Agloco
02-08-2009, 11:42 PM
There is no way this team could beat LA in a 7 game series and Popovich realizing that is crucial to the front office making any movement. I see a trade coming, if you packaged Finley and a few others(Not Mason or Hill..I hope) you could get results. They need a big guy so bad, watching Kendrick Perkins today was evidence of it.

CONSENT NEEDED FIRST!!!!!!

Agloco
02-08-2009, 11:43 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=883~1996~242~2774~2805~874~323 3&teams=24~8~8~8~8~8~8&te=&cash=

Maybe this.....Damnit we have to get Sheed!!

CONSENT NEEDED FIRST!!!!!

Agloco
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Stop putting Finley in any deal.........

Please.......

Rapper
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
This is a serious and difficult question

Let's think carefully:wakeup

bigdog
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Even with the win, I do expect some sort of trade/signing, even if they aren't major, epic moves.

There has been way too many rumors about the Spurs making trades this season for something not to happen. I don't see the Carter deal happening, but as far as the Miller or Salmons potential deals, I think there might be something there. Sure, we could have better wing players, but our frontcourt is the concern right now. If Miller's contract wasn't so big, I'd love to have him.

though, of course, all of these rumors we're hearing about could just be CIA Pop/RC, and they might go in a completely different direction. Who knows. Let's just see what happens.

td4mvp21
02-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Well, the Celtics had nearly 60 points in the paint...so I think it's still common knowledge that an additional shot blocking, lane clogging big would be good for the Spurs. But there isn't really anybody we could get at this point.

OleMissMike
02-09-2009, 12:07 AM
I'd like Sheed, but it wont happen
I'd kind of like Miller, but it wont happen
I'd really dont see the need for Salmons or Carter, grantit they are great players are we really taking minutes away down the stretch for Ginobili, Bowen's D or Mason

I would love a huge trade as much as you guys and all this rumor shit is just making me check this more..but i really only see a few options for us

1. Sean Williams
2. Joe Smith

Don't shoot the messenger but these are the only possibilities i see

xellos88330
02-09-2009, 12:10 AM
I think the Spurs have what it takes to go all the way as is, however, a defensive big would make things easier.

bigdog
02-09-2009, 12:10 AM
I'd like Sheed, but it wont happen
I'd kind of like Miller, but it wont happen
I'd really dont see the need for Salmons or Carter, grantit they are great players are we really taking minutes away down the stretch for Ginobili, Bowen's D or Mason

I would love a huge trade as much as you guys and all this rumor shit is just making me check this more..but i really only see a few options for us

1. Sean Williams
2. Joe Smith

Don't shoot the messenger but these are the only possibilities i see

I like the idea of getting Williams. He's young, super athletic, and has shot-blocking ability, but what would the Nets want in return?

Alot of people hate on Joe Smith because he's old, but he played well for Cleveland in last year's playoffs. I just don't want to see another old player on the Spurs.

Tully365
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I love the Spurs, and think their victory today showed grit & balance & intelligence, but yeah I still think they could use another big. Bonner had possibly the best game of his life on the offensive end but was also the focus of Boston's attack in the second half, and the more opposing coaches study the Spurs, especially come playoff time, the more they will go to the big being guarded by Bonner. I like Bonner, and appreciate that he plays hard, but he just isn't a post defender.

wisnub
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I feel confident with this roster...I think we can go all the way just like in 2007. I heard rumours about VC trade..I will do it if it only require one of the two players: Hill or Mason (I would prefer Hill + Bowen + Horry/Finley to fiill up numbers, I even let go Oberto provided we got VC and a big from there). We can call Ahern and Hairston (I heard they put big numbers in D League) to fill up roster. VC slash like Pierce and that is what we need now. As for Bigs I have confidence in Bonner and KT. Bonner is playing great and that why he is starting coz Pop wont start a guy who cannot play just to let you know, I dont know why many people still trashtalk him...He really played his best and try his best every time.

bigdog
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
I feel confident with this roster...I think we can go all the way just like in 2007. I heard rumours about VC trade..I will do it if it only require one of the two players: Hill or Mason (I would prefer Hill + Bowen + Horry/Finley to fiill up numbers, I even let go Oberto provided we got VC and a big from there). We can call Ahern and Hairston (I heard they put big numbers in D League) to fill up roster. VC slash like Pierce and that is what we need now. As for Bigs I have confidence in Bonner and KT. Bonner is playing great and that why he is starting coz Pop wont start a guy who cannot play just to let you know, I dont know why many people still trashtalk him...He really played his best and try his best every time.

There's no doubting that Bonner tries damn hard every game, but his interior defense isn't too good, and there's no reason the Spurs should even think about Ahearn, and they already have Hairston, in case you didn't know. Also, the Spurs are highly unlikely to trade for VC. You obviously have the Spurs' priorities backwards, saying that they need a slasher instead of a big.

TheSpursFNRule
02-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Brad Miller would be an upgrade from Bonner if you don't agree your kind of insane.

02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
thomas and oberto will need to step up. bonner's defense consists of trying to score enough to cancel out the points of his opponent. thomas and oberto need some ways to contribute to the offense as well as play good defense.

SenorSpur
02-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Like others have said, I believe the win today will have no bearing on whether the Spurs trade for a player before the deadline. Because the Spurs are limited in both tradeable assets and expiring contracts, I would guess a minor trade could be in order. That said, I also like the possible acquisition of Salmons/Finley swap at the 3 spot. Of course, shipping Finley out would require his consent and the termination of Pop's man-crush, both of which are highly unlikely.

Watching Kendrick Perkins attack the soft underbelly of the Spurs post defense today, continues to expose the need for a big at the 4-5 spot. A low-cost option like Joe Smith, while not a popular choice, could get the Spurs through the rest of this season. That is, until the Spurs are able to make a play for Sheed this summer.

Tully365
02-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Watching Kendrick Perkins attack the soft underbelly of the Spurs post defense today, continues to expose the need for a big at the 4-5 spot. A low-cost option like Joe Smith, while not a popular choice, could get the Spurs through the rest of this season. That is, until the Spurs are able to make a play for Sheed this summer.

It's strange that Bynum just had surgery and the Lakers talk about having him back for the playoffs as if it were a certainty, but Mahinmi's recent procedure, which sounds less invasive, has seemingly shelved him for the year. I wonder what his status will be come playoff time.

tp2021
02-09-2009, 01:27 AM
It's strange that Bynum just had surgery and the Lakers talk about having him back for the playoffs as if it were a certainty, but Mahinmi's recent procedure, which sounds less invasive, has seemingly shelved him for the year. I wonder what his status will be come playoff time.

#1 cheerleader

StoneBuddha
02-09-2009, 01:38 AM

I don't think Bynum is going to have surgery unless something changed very recently.

He's supposed to be out 8-12 weeks. A lot of sources do think he'll be back closer to the 8 weeks.

#2!
02-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Alot of people hate on Joe Smith because he's old...

I just don't want to see another old player on the Spurs.

nice one

Kori Ellis
02-09-2009, 01:44 AM
If the Spurs can get someone of quality without touching The Big 3 (or Bruce), then they still have to make a trade. One game doesn't mean they have overcome their defensive problems or lack of size upfront. If something materializes, almost everyone is tradeable.

The Truth #6
02-09-2009, 01:49 AM

What you say is most likely true. However, given all the trade talk I began to wonder if the Nuggets-Gate benching was possibly a way for Pop to gauge how we face against a top 3 team with adequate rest.

If we got blown out after all those days rest, then perhaps Pop would have been more willing to pursue a trade. I realize it sounds not very likely but just a thought, especially in the context of the announcers today claiming Pop didn't think we could beat the top teams in a 7 game series.