PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Macbook?

Avitus1
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Over the past week or so I've thought about buying one but I'm not sure if I should or not. I've found a few that I like but for the most part I really dont know to much about Apple or its products. I am curious as to what you guys think. Should I buy a Macbook, or stick with PC? Let me know whatcha think.

Thanks

PM5K
02-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Most people don't just buy one to buy one, they buy one because they need them for school, work, or they have various reasons for not wanting to run Windows....

PixelPusher
02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
You can boot into Windows on a Macbook, if that helps.

balli
02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
My 2 cents is that apple is extremely over-priced and moderately evil... if beautifully designed. If you were to get a PC, I'd either wait until Windows 7 drops, or put the beta on it.

PixelPusher
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
FWIW, what do you primarily use your laptop for?

Avitus1
02-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I'd be using this for school, and work. I work with children.

tonylongoriafan
02-09-2009, 10:40 PM
i've been asking myself this same question...mine would be mostly for peronsal entertainment, music, videos, iphone, etc.

i was at the apple store the other day and was thinking about buying one for about $1,700 which is about $200-$400 more than the comparable dell. i have a 3 yr old dell that i paid $1,100 for that i just want to upgrade out of.

mouse
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
If you buy a PC, you will go through life saying "what if" "what if I would have got a MAC?"

Do you want to live life with a monkey on your back every time your PC gets infected?

In 2006 there where 207,584 new viruses, not one was for the MAC.

lwor8drNNW4

Watch this movie then decide.

0QMhOIySiyE

koriwhat
02-10-2009, 12:08 AM
apple's the way to go...

judithscott
02-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi friend,
I can't say anything about apple because i have no experiance about it's performance.But ya look wise and it's graphics really nice.

Dex
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
OS X > Windows

Anybody who tries to tell you otherwise is either anti-Apple, or just hasn't given it a fair try.

Unless you are heavy on PC Gaming or want to be able to throw any graphics card in it, I'd say Macs are the way to go. If you've never used one before, expect a slight learning curve, but one of their best qualities is that they are easy to learn and figure out.

I get more done faster and more efficiently on my iMac than I ever did on my HP. Without the lagging, freezing, crashing, constant updates, virus checks, spyware checks, defrags, and reformatting. I haven't had a single issue with my Mac, and I throw all sorts of craziness at it.

They're more expensive for a reason: they work better and have more reliable components. Ever wonder why Dell can sell you a cookie-cutter laptop for 400 bucks? It's the difference between a Mustang and a Porsche.

Orrr you could wait for Windows 7 and see if Microsoft is finally able to get its shit together with its software.

koriwhat
02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Orrr you could wait for Windows 7 and see if Microsoft is finally able to get its shit together with its software.

that's almost like saying spurs will land rasheed with just udoka & vaughn. ain't gonna happen!

ps: i love my 24" iMac!

PixelPusher
02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
ps: i love my 24" iMac!

+1

FreeMason
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
The other day, I went into an apple store to get a nano for working out after my old ipod broke. I felt dirty going in there and couldn't wait to get out.

There is no way I would buy a Macbook after building a PC piece by piece and understanding how overpriced macs are. If I had money to blow though, Apple quality is very nice.

koriwhat
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
The other day, I went into an apple store to get a nano for working out after my old ipod broke. I felt dirty going in there and couldn't wait to get out.

There is no way I would buy a Macbook after building a PC piece by piece and understanding how overpriced macs are. If I had money to blow though, Apple quality is very nice.

yeah and i've built computers of various specs for various amounts of people over the stretch of the 12 yrs or so and if i had the money back when i was younger i would had bought a mac back then too...

quality is hard to come by even if you hand pick your hardware, because in the end you'll still be running windows on that machine and shit is still gonna fuck up bad on ya. osx is pure bliss.

ps: plus there's a huge difference between building pc's and buying a macbook. try and "build" a laptop haha.

slayermin
02-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Hardware wise, Mac has it's problems. But the reason you get a Mac is to run OSX. If I could run OSX on a PC, I'd save my money and buy a PC.

baseline bum
02-12-2009, 03:22 AM
With Mac you get a full UNIX for free, and anyone who tells you Windows only gets more viruses and trojans because it's #1 in the desktop market is just repeating Redmond spin. UNIX and its variants do the heavy lifting on the internet, so there is a massive demand for crackers to find and exploit holes in UNIXs such as FreeBSD or Linux.

baseline bum
02-12-2009, 03:27 AM
Still, if you're buying Mac because it's a shining beacon of light in the middle of Microsoft's "evil empire", you're dead wrong. Apple tried to pull the most ridiculous crap I've ever heard of in computing. The pricks sued MS to keep the whole windowed "look and feel" as Apple intellectual property, even though they stole (or copied) it all from Xerox PARC. Could you imagine if those fuckers would have won that lawsuit?

koriwhat
02-12-2009, 04:58 PM
lets put it this way...

would you rather have duncan(osx) on your squad or arenas? i mean one works diligently, anchors your team, does what you expect, and never ever complains.... the other... well arenas(winOS) costs a fuckin' buttload and never fuckin' works!

SpursWench21
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
yes

Cane
02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
For comedy pleasure, I'm a fan of maddox even though we don't always agree: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

You could probably save $$$ by going through a PC route, the Macbook is a quality product but its a fashion/niche kind of thing.