PDA

View Full Version : Dan Shaughnessy (Boston Globe): Bonner in a state of his own

Solid D
02-09-2009, 01:00 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/02/08/bonner_in_a_state_of_his_own____new_hampshire/

Bonner in a state of his own -- New Hampshire

By Dan Shaughnessy
Globe Columnist / February 8, 2009

We all love New Hampshire. It has those tax-free liquor stores just over the border and it's the home of Lake Winnipesaukee, the Old Man in the Mountain, and Live Free or Die. New Hampshire gave the world Eugene McCarthy in 1968 and Carlton Fisk in 1969.

What the Granite State does not have is a great basketball tradition, which is why Matt Bonner is such a freak. Bonner is the starting center for the San Antonio Spurs and today he buried the world champion Celtics with 23 points in a 105-99 matinee shocker on the fabled parquet.

It was quite the homecoming for the 6-foot-10-inch redhead from Concord, N.H. Two buses of family and friends made the one-hour trek down I-93 and all of them hung around behind the Spurs bench to greet their favorite son after stunned Celtic fans trudged home.

Matt's dad, Dave Bonner, a retired mailman, was one of the waiting fans. Matt's mom didn't make it to the Garden. Paula Bonner was in Amherst watching Matt's brother Luke score 6 points and grab 7 rebounds in the University of Massachusetts's 4-point loss to St. Joseph's.

Luke is a 7-footer who starts for the Minutemen. Sister Becky was a pretty good ballplayer, too. She played at Boston University and now coaches at Louisville.

According to the Spurs press guide, Bonner is only the second NBA player from New Hampshire. Portsmouth native Jeff Cross (University of Maine) played 21 games with the Clippers in 1985-86.

"Jeff Cross was the pioneer and now I broke the mold,'' said Bonner after draining 10 of 17 shots (including three of six from beyond the arc) against the Celtics.

"Matt is taking advantage of the minutes he is given this year,'' said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "[Today] he came into his home territory and played like a real pro -- like he has been doing it for 10 years. He didn't let anything affect him.''

Bonner scored 14 points in the second quarter, many of them on long heaves over the outstretched arms of Kevin Garnett. The Spurs led by 8 at intermission, then watched the Celtics blow past them with a 12-0 run at the start of the third quarter. Bonner and friends were not fazed.

"It's a 48-minute game,'' said Popovich, now in his 13th year with the Spurs. "I called a timeout and I didn't think we had done anything poorly defensively. It was a big swing, they had the crowd and team rejuvenated, so it was a matter of either being persistent and sticking with what you do, or fold. We showed a lot of mental toughness.''

Indeed. While we see the world in terms of Celtics-Cavs, then Celtics-Lakers, the Spurs quietly go about their business in the West, holding the second-best record in the conference and preparing for another long playoff run. How's this for old school? The Spurs have five players with 11 or more years of experience and a lot of them have won multiple championships in San Antonio.

No matter what the Lakers do, the Spurs remain a serious threat to represent the West in the Finals. Those of you in love with the prospect of the Celtics and Lakers in another Finals should be careful you don't wind up snoring through a championship series featuring the Spurs and Cavaliers.

If the Celtics are out and the Spurs are in, New England fans can take some pride in Bonner.

Bonner was valedictorian of his senior class at Concord High School. He starred at the University of Florida before playing a year in the Italian A1 League. In 2004 he broke into the NBA with the Raptors, where he was famous for riding Toronto's public transit system. He found another way to save money by pocketing per diem and eating at Subway.

Bonner claims to have eaten more Subway food than Jared. What's not to like about a guy like that?

Bonner played two seasons with the Raptors before he was traded to San Antonio. Now he's raining long-range missiles on the heads of the Celtics. Three of Bonner's points came when he banked a shot-clock-beating trey from out top in the third quarter.

"I did that on purpose,'' said Bonner. "That's the Concord YMCA at its finest.''

"Obviously he gives people problems,'' said teammate Tim Duncan. "They weren't ready for him to be getting shots like that, but he's been shooting like that all year long. So great for us, great spreading the floor, big-time knocking down shots.''

"I thought Matt Bonner was the key to the game,'' added Celtics center Kendrick Perkins.

Just after 4 p.m., the key to the game walked out of the Garden with his wife, his dad, and all those friends and neighbors from Concord. No one was saying, but I think they were all heading to Subway.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].

SpursFanFirst
02-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Bonnnnnner!

I love how close he is with his family. 2 buses filled with family members? :wow

Thompson
02-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Bonnnnnner!

I love how close he is with his family. 2 buses filled with family members? :wow

More accurately, his children. About 1/8th of them.

m33p0
02-09-2009, 01:17 AM
"I did that on purpose,'' said Bonner. "That's the Concord YMCA at its finest.''
:lol
RED ROCKET!!!

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2009, 01:28 AM
so he takes them to subway? roflmao

timvp
02-09-2009, 01:36 AM
"I thought Matt Bonner was the key to the game,'' added Celtics center Kendrick Perkins.

Just after 4 p.m., the key to the game walked out of the Garden with his wife, his dad, and all those friends and neighbors from Concord. No one was saying, but I think they were all heading to Subway.

http://spurstalk.com/jared-bonner.jpg

Blackjack
02-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Bonner claims to have eaten more Subway food than Jared. What's not to like about a guy like that?

More importantly, when is Tony going to hook him up with a Subway endorsment.

Nice read authored by Mr. Shirley Temple.:tu

Blackjack
02-09-2009, 01:38 AM

Now that's funny. :lmao

Solid D
02-09-2009, 01:39 AM

:rollin :nope

Yorae
02-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Red Rocket Monstrosity! Matt Bonner should advertise Subway a lot and Subway should pay him for it haha.

raspsa
02-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Luke is a 7-footer who starts for the Minutemen. Sister Becky was a pretty good ballplayer, too. She played at Boston University and now coaches at Louisville.

Is his brother any good?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Bonner was rock freakin solid in all aspects today. :tu

Maybe he does have some clutch in him? ;)

EricB
02-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Its really hard to not root for the guy. Hes good people, and from what I've seen a great guy to everyone. When he does well like this it just really makes you feel good.

Malik Rose but with a better jumper :smokin, I know his defense is Rose esque cause he was a good defender, but those threes he makes make up for it.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 03:58 AM
Anyway we could trade Jeff for Dan, with some cash and picks to sweeten the deal?:hat

SpurSupremacist
02-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Ride that bandwagon. I can only imagine what it will be like if Carter is traded here. Everyone will say stupid shit about it, like when Bonner first got into the starting line-up and even before that. Then, after Carter starts winning games for them, they'll be ALL OVER his nutsack.

Sam
02-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Is his brother any good?

No, Luke isn't. He doesn't take it serious at all.

I would however love to congratulate Bonner and Nadia on their first child that's due in July.

anakha
02-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Ride that bandwagon. I can only imagine what it will be like if Carter is traded here. Everyone will say stupid shit about it, like when Bonner first got into the starting line-up and even before that. Then, after Carter starts winning games for them, they'll be ALL OVER his nutsack.

Save the butthurt attitude for the Carter thread.

wildbill2u
02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Bonnnnnner!

Remember last year when all his family and friends came down for the Celtics game and Pop never let him play for a second. I thought that was pretty insensitive for a coach since most would have let a player get on the floor for the home fans.

But maybe thats why Pop makes millions and drinks fine wines and I'm sitting here in my shorts drinking winecoolers.

Manu-of-steel
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
bonner a valedictorian in high school, with mason also a product of good school, and we have tim, also a graduate at wake forest. hmm, spurs are a collection of highly intellectual players.

SenorSpur
02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Red Rocket Monstrosity! Matt Bonner should advertise Subway a lot and Subway should pay him for it haha.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Bonner did an actual commerical with Jared?

hater
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Bonner is a sexy beast

EricB
02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Bonner really needs his own segment on the monthly Spurs show on FSN.

bigfan
02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Big Red Boner!

Taco
02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/02/08/bonner_in_a_state_of_his_own____new_hampshire/

Just after 4 p.m., the key to the game walked out of the Garden with his wife, his dad, and all those friends and neighbors from Concord. No one was saying, but I think they were all heading to Subway.[/B]

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].

DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS MARRIED :wakeup

:flag: GO RED ROCKET :flag:

Taco
02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
ANOTHER ARTICLE

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Kevin+Gray's+Gray+Matter%3A+ Bonner's+homecoming+heroics&articleId=1189a623-024c-4a93-93cb-424333c44bf8

31v5qJYBNuw

BOSTON – MATT BONNER'S homecoming games captivate fans throughout New Hampshire and fuel the dreams of youngsters across the state.

But usually there's something missing on the parquet: the big redhead.

Bonner either was benched or injured the past two seasons, never seeing live action in Boston. Man, was yesterday different.

The Concord High graduate, who grew up idolizing Larry Bird, torched the reigning NBA champs with a season-high 23 points and hit a crucial jumper with 45 seconds remaining in San Antonio's 105-99 win.

"At the end of the game, when we kind of wrapped it up and they were fouling, I started getting goose bumps. That's such a great feeling," said Bonner, who made 10 of 17 shots and grabbed eight boards with two steals.

The Red Rocket made six previous trips to the TD Banknorth Garden, including four games with the Raptors, but always left the arena wanting more. Yesterday, in the final minute, Bonner atoned for a turnover and buried a 14-footer after dribbling past Kevin Garnett.

►Click here to visit Kevin Gray's 'Gray Matter' blog

The shot trimmed Boston's lead to 93-92, and the Spurs continued on a decisive 11-0 run. Only Tim Duncan played more minutes for the Spurs, who didn't risk taking Bonner off the court at crunch time.

"He's playing like a real pro, doing it like he's been playing for 10 years," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Bonner earned his 35th start of the season, draining his first shot, defending Garnett and hoisting his trademark 3-pointers, hitting three of six from deep.

Hundreds of Granite Staters, some who'd made the trip on two Concord Trailways buses, watched the 6-foot-10 forward/center take over the second quarter. He swished a 3-pointer over Glen Davis, went to the rack past "Big Baby," and tipped in a rebound for a 38-37 Spurs' lead. Bonner fed a cutting Manu Ginobili for an and-one bucket, and the Spurs took a 60-52 halftime lead behind Bonner's game-high 16 points.

We knew it was Bonner's day when he kissed a 3-pointer off the glass -- a lucky one -- that made Garnett nearly vomit. The dry-humored Spur didn't blink when later asked about the bank-shot.

"I did that on purpose. What are you talking about? That's the Concord YMCA at its finest right there," Bonner said.

Give an assist to the Spurs for signing Bonner to a three-year, $9 million deal in 2007. They needed a replacement for the aging Robert Horry, a clutch shooter, and traded for an unproven Bonner.

The 28-year-old Bonner, snubbed for the All-Star 3-Point Shootout, ranks second in the NBA with a .489 shooting percentage from the arc. If the Spurs make a run for the NBA Finals -- and they'll have a tough time with Los Angeles -- they'll need more heroics from the fifth-year pro from the University of Florida.

"We wouldn't be where we are without Matty, for sure," Popovich said. "Not just because he's shot the ball so well. He's a tough kid. He rebounds. He's a team player. He cares probably more than he should care. He's taken Horry's minutes -- and more -- and really done well."

Reporters scrambled to learn as much as they could about Bonner after the game, and they tracked down his father, Dave, who took care of about 100 fans with post-game guest passes. Mother Paula spent the day at the University of Massachusetts watching the family baby, 7-foot Luke, play against St. Joseph's.

Cheryl Miner of Concord, a secretary at Walker School, hopped a Bonner Bus and began cheering for Matt Bonner kid an hour before the Celtics' game.

"I'm so happy for Matt and his family and I've known him since he was a little kid," Miner said. "He's come a long way, and it has to be a dream come true."

On his first trip to Boston with the Raptors, Bonner scored 10 points in the first half, then barely saw the ball in the second half, as if his teammates decided the rookie didn't deserve any more shots.

The Spurs wouldn't let think of letting that happen yesterday. They relied on Bonner to help steal a victory away from the Celtics.

"He was really good tonight, really good," Tim Duncan said, "but he's been shooting like that all year long ... spreading the floor and knocking down big-time shots."

Granite Staters picked a thrilling game to watch, whether turning on the TV or driving to Boston. The unofficial New Hampshire Day even featured an on-court mini-game for Portsmouth youngsters.

A battle between the last two NBA champions went down to the wire, and Bonner, this time walked out a big winner.

:clapHe greeted New Hampshire fans after the game and sealed the day with a kiss to wife Nadia, four months pregnant with their first child.:clap

"Great game. To be able to play minutes, knock down shots and help our team with a big win means all the world," he said. "It was great being part of it."

As a group of dejected Celtics fans exited the building, a man turned to his friends and said it all:

"Matt Bonner killed us."

Staff writer Kevin Gray's e-mail address is [email protected]

KaiRMD1
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm happy for Bonner, seems like a genuinely nice guy. Let's hope this continues because with him killing people from beyond the arc, we'll be so powerful. Also, everybody was talking about Mo Williams being mad about the snub he got for the All star game, maybe this was Bonner answering back for being denied a shot at the 3 point shootout

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
If they bring this out in Bonner I think the Spurs need to shuttle them in for any and all big games. I remember the dynamite games that Malik Rose always had when the Spurs went to Philly once a year.

After growing in SA it still seems odd to me to hear of someone coming from out of state in an hour's time.

Spurs Brazil
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Great article

Props to Bonner

Sam
02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Matt got married this summer in August. He proposed last Valentines during all star break with a scavenger hunt for her through Toronto where she's from.