PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson takes shots at the Celtics

scanry
02-09-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1150940&format=text

Though the Lakers spent an extra three days in Boston before flying to Cleveland for yesterday’s game, coach Phil Jackson apparently still considers the city a distasteful place to play a basketball game.
Asked about Rivers’ fine before the game against Cleveland, Jackson said, “Is that all?”
“It should have been more,” he said. “That’s Boston. That’s always been Boston. It just goes along with the product.”
Asked about the difference between having Kobe Bryant cover LeBron James and Allen, the Lakers coach also couldn’t resist taking another shot at the Celtics when he said, “Chasing Ray Allen off multiple picks - especially the ones that move as often as Boston’s do - it’s just not feasible to wear him out and get run into by (Kendrick) Perkins and (Kevin) Garnett.”

Ouch.....

However Phil did his share of the whining over the years, so he comes across as a hypocrite.

BTW what do you Lakers fans think of Phil's smugness? And are the Lakers chasing Byron Scott to steady the ship post the KFC era?

I'm a big fan of Byron BTW, and he'd make a great Laker coach. He'll probably get more respect from the Lakers players and especially from Kobe. Hey Byron might bring Chris Paul along with him, not bad huh.. :wow

monosylab1k
02-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Typical Phil Jackson, he's done this for years. I guess it's easy to talk shit when you've had Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe for your entire coaching career.

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1150940&format=text

Though the Lakers spent an extra three days in Boston before flying to Cleveland for yesterday’s game, coach Phil Jackson apparently still considers the city a distasteful place to play a basketball game.
Asked about Rivers’ fine before the game against Cleveland, Jackson said, “Is that all?”
“It should have been more,” he said. “That’s Boston. That’s always been Boston. It just goes along with the product.”
Asked about the difference between having Kobe Bryant cover LeBron James and Allen, the Lakers coach also couldn’t resist taking another shot at the Celtics when he said, “Chasing Ray Allen off multiple picks - especially the ones that move as often as Boston’s do - it’s just not feasible to wear him out and get run into by (Kendrick) Perkins and (Kevin) Garnett.”

Ouch.....

However Phil did his share of the whining over the years, so he comes across as a hypocrite.

BTW what do you Lakers fans think of Phil's smugness? And are the Lakers chasing Byron Scott to steady the ship post the KFC era?

I'm a big fan of Byron BTW, and he'd make a great Laker coach. He'll probably get more respect from the Lakers players and especially from Kobe. Hey Byron might bring Chris Paul along with him, not bad huh.. :wow

That's just Phillip doing what he does best...playing mindgames. As an opposing fan I'd probably hate his smugness, but he's our coach so I have no problem w/ it

MarHill
02-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Phil has always had that smugness about him.

He's a terrific coach but he loves to push the other team's buttons.

He made a quote about Lebron James getting a lot of calls in Cleveland and throwing the talc powder or razen in the air before yesterday's game.

However, you have to beat his teams to shut him up! :lol

DrHouse
02-09-2009, 11:14 AM
It's just Phil being Phil.

That's why we love him.

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 11:14 AM

That's why we love him.

damn straight:toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
It's Phil's genius. He and Popovich know exactly what to say/infer at during interviews and press conferences.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-09-2009, 11:17 AM

That's why we love him.

I hate the Lakers but respect Phil Jackson. He's a great coach and is a great writer as well, read his book if you haven't already.

scanry
02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I hate the Lakers but respect Phil Jackson. He's a great coach and is a great writer as well, read his book if you haven't already.

:lol:lol:lol

You had to rub it in, didn't you???

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
:lol:lol:lol

You had to rub it in, didn't you???

rub what in?

scanry
02-09-2009, 11:28 AM
rub what in?

C'mon that book started & ended with Phil ripping Kobe to shreds. I still don't know why Kobe forgave him? BTW Phil doesn't have an ounce of self respect. I would never go back and coach the guy after i had just written a book about his selfish antics.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
C'mon that book started & ended with Phil ripping Kobe to shreds. I still don't know why Kobe forgave him? BTW Phil doesn't have an ounce of self respect. I would never go back and coach the guy after i had just written a book about his selfish antics.

I really didn't think it was that bad. There was that part about how Phil says a man isn't fully grown until he's 28 and that was the case with Kobe. It's not like Phil went back to coach the Lakers because he was desperate and needed a job, he did it because a small part of him always wanted to see Kobe be the best he can be.

z0sa
02-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Doesn't Phil Jackson make $10 million a year?

Bartleby
02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
PJ is an ass but he's dead on about the moving screens.

IronMexican
02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
As others have said, It's Phil being Phil.

scanry
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
As others have said, It's Phil being Phil.

BTW taking about the possibility of Shaq ending his career in LA, how are they (Kobe fans) taking it in at LG & CL?

IronMexican
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Typical Shaq hate fashion. I hardly post on Laker boards, because after a loss, it's unbearable, and so much hate for a man who won three rings in LA.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Typical Shaq hate fashion. I hardly post on Laker boards, because after a loss, it's unbearable, and so much hate for a man who won three rings in LA.

Maybe you are just as clueless as I am, but why do LA fans hate Shaq so much?

IronMexican
02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I understand he dissed LA. I even rooted against him during the 2004-2005 season, but when Kobe was cool with it, why was I going to hold a grudge. I was cheering for him against Detroit the 2004-2005 season because they knocked out LA in the finals the year before. It was a pretty big rift in LA. A lot of the bandwagon Shaq fans became Heat fans, and the Laker fans hated the Heat. But, like I said, I wont hold a grudge for too long. That's how you lose serious friends and thing. And I know this isn't nearly as important as real life, but still.

JoeTait75
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Nothing he said about Boston wasn't the truth. The Celtics have always gotten away with more BS at home than any other team in the league, going back decades. Phil has as much experience with that as anyone, having played in Boston 3-4 times a year as a visiting player with the Knicks back in the day.

baseline bum
02-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Jackson is dead-on here. Garnett and Perkins get away with murder on their screens.

Doug Collins
02-09-2009, 12:08 PM
PJ is an ass but he's dead on about the moving screens.

Agreed.

Perkins, Big Fatty, and KG move on every screen, then again so do most big men in today's nba. The thing that pisses me off is that Perkins and Big Fatass don't try to hide it, at least KG conceals it behind his INTENSITY!

turiaf for president
02-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Doesn't Phil Jackson make $10 million a year?

12 per for this and next year

TheNextGen
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Phil loves mindgames...and he is doing it to Doc Rivers. Like Mono said, phil had major players like MJ, Kobe , Shaq....so does Rivers. The big differnce is his teams win rings once he gets there, Doc won a ring cuz the players went to him. He was failing miserably before he got the Big 3.

turiaf for president
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Phil loves mindgames...and he is doing it to Doc Rivers. Like Mono said, phil had major players like MJ, Kobe , Shaq....so does Rivers. The big differnce is his teams win rings once he gets there, Doc won a ring cuz the players went to him. He was failing miserably before he got the Big 3.

great point. i think the top 5 coaches in any order are phil, pop, sloan, byron scott, and adelman

anonoftheinternets
02-09-2009, 02:20 PM
great point. i think the top 5 coaches in any order are phil, pop, sloan, byron scott, and adelman

almost right ..... it shud be
pop=phil(tied), sloan, byron scott, and adelman

gmartin02
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe you are just as clueless as I am, but why do LA fans hate Shaq so much?I don't think most Laker fans really "hate" Shaq, but he really frustrated many of us with some of his "unprofessional" attitude:

1. Shaq reported to training camp fat & out of shape every single year after the 99-00 season.
2. When the Lakers lost a couple of games, Shaq usually pointed the finger at everyone else but himself as the problem for the losses, usually saying "my team isn't giving me enough touches" - got to be like a broken record.
3. Instead of getting a needed toe surgery at the conclusion of the 01-02 season, he waited until mid September to have the surgery, stating "I got hurt on company time, so I’ll heal on company time." - That may be OK for us working stiffs, but for someone making $27 million a year and the rest of the team depending on him - come on.
4. During the 03/04 season, Shaq demanded a salary extension of $30 million per year if he was to stay in LA (ridiculous for a starting to go over the hill, fat, out of shape big man) - of course as soon as he was traded to Miami, he renegotiated his existing contract (with extension) down to $20 million per year.
5. As soon as he left the Lakers he was dissin not just Kobe, but the entire Laker organization for weeks (who had stroked his ego & put up with his immaturity for years to keep him happy) - kind of a slap in the face.
6. For his first 2 years in Miami, he actually showed up to training camp in shape - another slap in the face (of course his last 2 years on Miami he went back to his old routine of fat & out of shape).

There were a lot of good moments with Shaq over the years, and I think he has matured to the point by this year that he doesn't do many of these things any more, but this is the reason many of us in LA get enjoyment of seeing the Suns struggling.

I just wished about 8 years ago someone could have injected some of Tim Duncan's or Karl Malone's "big man" professionalism & work ethic into Shaq - he would probably still be on the Lakers (and respected more by Laker fans).

picnroll
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
It's Phil's genius. He and Popovich know exactly what to say/infer at during interviews and press conferences.
No comparison. Phil's a bitch. Pop's a man.

scanry
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM

I don't know about you guys, but i would take Pop over Phil every day of the week. Phil has had some of the game's best talent on his side. BTW i'm pretty sure Pop would've straightened out Shaq & Kobe during their feud.

Pop is humble and always gives the other team credit. Phil on the other is a bad loser (more like a sore loser), and always looks for excuses to overshadow his team's flaws. That is what really pisses me off about Phil.

scanry
02-09-2009, 04:49 PM

More like a whining bitch. Always looks for excuses. I hope Kobe smacks him on the head before he retires. :lol I truly believe Phil deserves it after the book he wrote about Kobe.

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM

A bitch has bested Pop 4/5 times then...

scanry
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM

Yeah with guys like Shaq, Kobe, Malone & Payton.

It's like saying Phil owned Pat Riley where in reality Riley actually outcoached Phil in the 90's. He almost knocked off the Bulls in 1992. :wow

BTW is Pat Riley the best Lakers coach of all time or is it Phil the smug Jackson?

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah with guys like Shaq, Kobe, Malone & Payton.

It's like saying Phil owned Pat Riley where in reality Riley actually outcoached Phil in the 90's. He almost knocked off the Bulls in 1992. :wow

BTW is Pat Riley the best Lakers coach of all time or is it Phil the smug Jackson?

Come on, I gotta go with Riles:hat

That "quartet" is responsible for only 1 of those victories. It's not like Pop has had shit to work with...the best PF in the game (maybe ever), D-Rob for 2 of those, great PG, and a one-of-a-kind versatile guard.

jonnybravo
02-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Agreed.

Perkins, Big Fatty, and KG move on every screen, then again so do most big men in today's nba. The thing that pisses me off is that Perkins and Big Fatass don't try to hide it, at least KG conceals it behind his INTENSITY!

That's not true. The refs by and large have been calling moving picks consistently. I dont see TD making a living at it.

For some reason, KG literally plays fullback indiscriminately.

Red Hawk #21
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I wonder how Phil feels about that Kings vs Lakers game 6 in 2002...

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM

i'm guessing it never crosses his mind, however Horry's Game 4 trey and the Kings' Game 7 airballs will resonate forever:toast

TheNextGen
02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't know about you guys, but i would take Pop over Phil every day of the week. Phil has had some of the game's best talent on his side. BTW i'm pretty sure Pop would've straightened out Shaq & Kobe during their feud.

Pop is humble and always gives the other team credit. Phil on the other is a bad loser (more like a sore loser), and always looks for excuses to overshadow his team's flaws. That is what really pisses me off about Phil.

so you are saying that we dont have any great players? TD, Robinson, Ginobli and Parker are great players imo.

picnroll
02-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Still a bitch. You can have him. He goes well with the Lakers' personna.

sook
02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
ironic considering PJ is just as bad.

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Still a bitch. You can have him. He goes well with the Lakers' personna.

Thanks, he's a bona fide winner and he's in Pop's head

IronMexican
02-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Were you a fan back then?

cobbler
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't think most Laker fans really "hate" Shaq, but he really frustrated many of us with some of his "unprofessional" attitude:

1. Shaq reported to training camp fat & out of shape every single year after the 99-00 season.
2. When the Lakers lost a couple of games, Shaq usually pointed the finger at everyone else but himself as the problem for the losses, usually saying "my team isn't giving me enough touches" - got to be like a broken record.
3. Instead of getting a needed toe surgery at the conclusion of the 01-02 season, he waited until mid September to have the surgery, stating "I got hurt on company time, so I’ll heal on company time." - That may be OK for us working stiffs, but for someone making $27 million a year and the rest of the team depending on him - come on.
4. During the 03/04 season, Shaq demanded a salary extension of $30 million per year if he was to stay in LA (ridiculous for a starting to go over the hill, fat, out of shape big man) - of course as soon as he was traded to Miami, he renegotiated his existing contract (with extension) down to $20 million per year.
5. As soon as he left the Lakers he was dissin not just Kobe, but the entire Laker organization for weeks (who had stroked his ego & put up with his immaturity for years to keep him happy) - kind of a slap in the face.
6. For his first 2 years in Miami, he actually showed up to training camp in shape - another slap in the face (of course his last 2 years on Miami he went back to his old routine of fat & out of shape).

There were a lot of good moments with Shaq over the years, and I think he has matured to the point by this year that he doesn't do many of these things any more, but this is the reason many of us in LA get enjoyment of seeing the Suns struggling.

I just wished about 8 years ago someone could have injected some of Tim Duncan's or Karl Malone's "big man" professionalism & work ethic into Shaq - he would probably still be on the Lakers (and respected more by Laker fans).

Oh yeah...and the classic... "Kobe needs to learn about playing team ball and stop being so selfish." Followed in the next sentence with. "This is my team and the ball needs to go through me."

Although many of us fans do appreciate his contributions, as this post states, he was unprofessional. Shaq could have gone down in history as the greatest center ever. He barely cracks the top 5 if that. If only he had a work ethic. And that is why fans like me, who do appreciate his contributions, cannot stand him. He will pull the same shit with the Suns...mark my words!

DrHouse
02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
The only thing I regret about Shaq leaving was Mitch Kupchak not demanding Dwayne Wade coming back.

Can you freaking imagine a backcourt of Kobe and Dwayne? Good God.....

ElNono
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM

I can already see Phil Jackson and Wade taking turns to use the wheelchair...

JoeTait75
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
The only thing I regret about Shaq leaving was Mitch Kupchak not demanding Dwayne Wade coming back.

MITCH: And we're going to want Dwayne Wa- Click- Hello? Pat? Hello?

IronMexican
02-09-2009, 08:53 PM

That would be ridiculous. I remember being real pissed that Shaq was traded in ithe first place, and that Dwayne Wade wasn't coming here.

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 08:54 PM

:lol No, Mitch fucked up later trading caron butler for stonehands

IronMexican
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM

At the time, Miami would have done it. I think Wade averaged like 16 during his rookie season. It wasn't till year three that he blew up.

DrHouse
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Riles made a comment later on that if the Lakers had stayed firm he probably would have given him up. Remember they still had Caron, LO, etc.

Mitch didn't have the foresight to know that Wade would blow up like he did so he took the surer bet in Caron Butler.

JoeTait75
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Riles made a comment later on that if the Lakers had stayed firm he probably would have given him up. Remember they still had Caron, LO, etc.

Mitch didn't have the foresight to know that Wade would blow up like he did so he took the surer bet in Caron Butler.

That's really not a bad sure bet. Caron Butler is a very good player wasted on a very bad team. Getting him wasn't a problem for the LakeShow. Giving him up for Kwame Brown, now...

scanry
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah...and the classic... "Kobe needs to learn about playing team ball and stop being so selfish." Followed in the next sentence with. "This is my team and the ball needs to go through me."

Although many of us fans do appreciate his contributions, as this post states, he was unprofessional. Shaq could have gone down in history as the greatest center ever. He barely cracks the top 5 if that. If only he had a work ethic. And that is why fans like me, who do appreciate his contributions, cannot stand him. He will pull the same shit with the Suns...mark my words!

I agree. He's already sucking Kobe's balls as we speak.

BTW he didn't agree to a 20mil/yr with the heat. Riley offered him a 100mil/5yr instead of a 100mil/4yr and Riley supposedly said that he could retire after his 4th season with the heat.:wow

iggypop123
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
they couldnt push for wade cause kobe was waiting to leave for the clippers. if they had time to wait out it would have been wade instead of butler.

DrHouse
02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Does anyone honestly think Kobe would have left for the Clippers?

Give me a break, there is nothing on this planet that could get Kobe to sign with the Clippers.

SequSpur
02-10-2009, 12:00 AM
dude, I WAS SCREAMING during the spurs/celtics game about the moving screens... bullshit man..

TheMACHINE
02-10-2009, 12:17 AM
:lol No, Mitch fucked up later trading caron butler for stonehands

then mitch traded stonehands for gasol

WayOutWest
02-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't think most Laker fans really "hate" Shaq, but he really frustrated many of us with some of his "unprofessional" attitude:

Totally agree. The final straw was Shaq insulting the owner durring a 03/04 pre-season game in Hawaii. After a dunk he pointed to Dr. Buss in the stands and yelled "pay me my money".

picnroll
02-10-2009, 09:19 AM
then mitch traded stonehands for gasol
Don't you mean West traded for Gasol?

gmartin02
02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Totally agree. The final straw was Shaq insulting the owner durring a 03/04 pre-season game in Hawaii. After a dunk he pointed to Dr. Buss in the stands and yelled "pay me my money".Oh yeah - if forgot about that one - Fuck Snaq - what an ungrateful classless immature man child.

Could you imagine Duncan yelling at Peter Holt "pay me my money" during a game?