PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliott Jersey Retirement Thread

nacho estrada
03-04-2005, 09:27 PM
I thought it would be fitting to have a thread for everyone to post their favorite pic, memory, video or even just a comment about the ol' "Ninja" #32.. My personal favorite moment (of course excluding the Memorial Day Miracle) was when Sean dunked on Sir Charles and it looked like he just kept elevating until he smashed it on ol' Chuck and his bowling ball head. Anyone else remember this dunk? What are your favorite plays of Sean?

IceColdBrewski
03-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Damn. I can't believe nobody is responding.

The Memorial day miracle is obviously the best. But for those of us who are also Arizona Wildcat fans, Sean Elliot means more than you could imagine. Watching him and Kerr take us from NCAA doormats to elite status was something special. Arizona has been legit ever since.

maxpower
03-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Don't remember exactly what game it was ...but it was against the Suns when Sean slammed it on Chuckles' head. I remember watching this game at Bullwinkle's(always had to fight to get a Spurs game on the big screen because of damn rocket fan). Also same place remember watching the sonics feed and listening to the seattle announcers comparing Sean to(memory doesn't serve). They tried to portray Sean as being soft because he was from the suburbs and Blank was from the street. Of course(if memory serves) Sean outplayed the sonics thug.

timvp
03-05-2005, 01:11 AM
This thread has to be locked to the top.

Who doesn't love Sean Elliott?

Recognize.

timvp
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/elliott_trophy_200w.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2005, 01:22 AM
It's hard to match the MDM, but I have to go with the game he came back after kidney surgery. He spent the first half of the game struggling on offense, not really getting anything going.

Then he made a great circle cut, got the ball at the top of the lane, and went and threw it down vintage Sean Elliott. Crowd went nuts, it was a great moment.

mattyc
03-05-2005, 01:33 AM
http://img47.exs.cx/img47/4636/z3sean3uk.jpg

One of the most courageous blokes San Antonio has ever had. Amazing competitor.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-05-2005, 01:43 AM
It's hard to match the MDM, but I have to go with the game he came back after kidney surgery. He spent the first half of the game struggling on offense, not really getting anything going.

Then he made a great circle cut, got the ball at the top of the lane, and went and threw it down vintage Sean Elliott. Crowd went nuts, it was a great moment.

I was about halfway up, just off to the left side of that basket at that shot. What a hell of a comeback!

That game, the MDM and him jumping around after Game 5 in '99.

atlfan25
03-05-2005, 01:46 AM
mayne, sean elliott is tite as hell. he is a pimp. mighty fine player.

mattyc
03-05-2005, 01:54 AM
http://img48.exs.cx/img48/3475/elliott6nd.jpg
http://img101.exs.cx/img101/9466/elliott625997dv.jpg
http://img101.exs.cx/img101/537/elliott994503wd.jpg

Legend.

Experiment2100
03-05-2005, 04:25 AM
http://www.nba.com/theater/video/elliot_3pt_053199.avi

nuff said

p.s. sorry if this goes against the whole no video thing. It's hosted by NBA.com so I thought it was ok.

Kori Ellis
03-05-2005, 04:31 AM
It is okay. The video belongs to the NBA.

SpursFanInAustin
03-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Some of my favorite Sean moments...

1. Memorial Day Miracle of 1999
2. Coming back from kidney transplant
3. Making the All-Star teams in 1993 and 1996
4. Sean dunking over Barkley in 1995 (Both Elliott and Terry Cummings start getting in the face of Barkley and scream in his face!)
5. Sean tying the game with the Suns with no time remaining with a slam vs. the Suns in 1993, and sent the game to OT which the Spurs prevailed
6. Sean's game winning 3-pointer at the buzzer at Phoenix in 1999.

BTW....I have a copy of the game where Elliott dunks over Barkley in 1995. Sweet moment. Spurs beat the Suns 109-106 in a battle of the two teams with the best record in the NBA in early April. If anyone is interested. Hit me up with a PM and perhaps we can work out a trade.

Ishta
03-05-2005, 11:27 AM
For me it was the MDM.Sean has always been my favorite. In 99 I was living in Dallas(EWWW) and it was always hard to catch a Spurs game(WONDER WHY!!) Anyway, as usual I was telling everybody and their mothers.. Spurs are gonna win... But nobody gave them a chance.. Let me tell you I was never so proud of Sean more than at that moment when he knocked it down and told the league to look out!!

HERE COME THE SPURS!

Thanks Ninja for all the memories. We love you, and will never forget what you gave to all of us..

Jdspur20
03-05-2005, 12:29 PM
my favorite, is seeing Sean do what he does best, Defense. it had to be when he traped Spreewell under the basket with 2.1 seconds left, to insure the spurs the title. thanks Sean, for making a dream come true for a 15 year old kid at the time.

ShoogarBear
03-05-2005, 12:31 PM
When Sean was younger, he was the absolute complete package on offense. I used to think that if NBA players had to submit a video portfolio of their offensive weapons, there would be MJ and Sean, then everyone else.

Dude had a sweet J, could slash and finish with the best, could post up. Only thing that held him back at times was lack of aggressiveness.

Funny thing was as his knees and kidneys left him, he got that toughness. The MDM would have never happened with the young Sean.

Now he is the manufacturer of the single most important moment in Spur history. Great player, great man, great Spur.

Thanks, Sean. And Neal.

Manu20
03-05-2005, 12:38 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/1999/0917/photo/a_990917se1.jpg

http://www.openmedia.com.au/sports/images/(SC)Sean_Elliot_Photo.jpg

Great player and great person.
Can't wait until Sunday!

Sonia_TX
03-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I can't wait for the game tomorrow! Hopefully I'll get some good pictures. I'm ready!

timvp
03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Sean. And Neal.

The people who sacrifice to make things possible are the first people to be forgotten.

Sincerely,

Noel Elliott

ShoogarBear
03-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Damn, my bad.

Also blame Ms. Elliott for not giving her boys regular brutha names.

exstatic
03-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Sean was a great person and player to have on your team. Larry Brown almost ruined him by yelling at him non-stop for the whole time they existed together in SA. When Sean came into the league in 1989, there weren't 6'8" guys who could handle the ball and shoot falling out of the trees like there are now, maybe a half dozen of them in the league. Of all of them, his first step was a lethal blur, and left many defenders with a kink in their neck from watching him blow by.

He was a two time All Star, but had he played in a large market like LA, he probably could have gone 4 times. He used his injury time from 96 to 98 to morph his game from a number two option to a supporting player and defender extraordinaire. I remember thinking "What is a guy at his career stage doing going to Pete Newwell's big man camp?". He was learning more about playing in the post, and defending in the post against bigger players.

One of my favorite facets of Sean Elliott is the way he's plugged himself into the current Spurs organization. He was talking on the telecast the other night about how BB sought him out his first year in SA about nuances of the offense. He also gives big props to both Manu and Tony, even going so far as to talk to Tony about his AS snub and how to deal with it.

I think the best part of the whole jersey retirement is that they are going to ignore that one year exile to Detroit, and just list 1989-2001 as his tenure on the jersey going up into the rafters. I saw it on the new T-shirt that they are selling. They also have a freeze graphic of the MDM, pre-shot, with 'Sheed leaping in the air towards him. I don't know how he got it away, let alone made the shot.

ZStomp
03-05-2005, 05:18 PM

That's my favorite besides the MDM. I was at the game and the crowd did go nuts. It was awesome. It was a bit emotional.

Great memory.

I'll be there tomorrow.

Bring it on.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-05-2005, 05:37 PM
I think I'll always remember that first slam after he came back from kidney surgery as well.

MDM of course.

Also when he came back from the Pistons. I hated the fact that he was traded even though I was pretty high on Rodman initially. I remember watching him play for Detroit and he looked miserable most nights. But that first game back in the silver and black Sean had that old smile back on his face and I knew all was right in the universe once again.

Faccia di Angelo
03-05-2005, 05:51 PM
The Memorial Day Miracle. I don't think I'll ever remember that game. It was incredible. I remember watching highlights over and over thinking how incredible the shot was. It was just meant to be.
I can't wait! Its gonna be a sight to see his jersey lifted up there.
Oh crap, I need film!

ZStomp
03-05-2005, 05:54 PM
The people who sacrifice to make things possible are the first people to be forgotten.

Sincerely,

Noel Elliott

:lmao

OH MY GOD! Hilarious!

ZStomp
03-05-2005, 05:55 PM
The Memorial Day Miracle. I don't think I'll ever remember that game. It was incredible. I remember watching highlights over and over thinking how incredible the shot was. It was just meant to be.
I can't wait! Its gonna be a sight to see his jersey lifted up there.
Oh crap, I need film!

WTF

What do you mean you won't ever remember that game? You just remembered in the next line.

Faccia di Angelo
03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
WTF

What do you mean you won't ever remember that game? You just remembered in the next line.

:lmao :lmao I meant FORGET
ahhh..thats how out of it I am right now. Shutup Z! :flipoff lol

ZStomp
03-05-2005, 06:03 PM
:lmao :lmao I meant FORGET
ahhh..thats how out of it I am right now. Shutup Z! :flipoff lol

http://clicksmilies.com/s0105/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-038.gif

:nope

:cuss

:flipoff

HEAVY-D
03-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Good evening, everyone. I have wanted to enter this forum for a while and this topic seems like a great opportunity. I have read the forum and you guys seem to have a good time and have great discussions. Hopefully I can post and reply in kind. So with the rookie butt-kissing out of the way...

I would like to add my favorite Sean moment. While the comeback dunk was fantastic I will always remember the ALL-STAR game in S.A. watching Sean play. The city was freaked out having the game here....I also remember those awful ALL-STAR jackets (teal or something). Sean being an ALL-STAR helped back up all the trash I was talking to my friends who thought he was soft. By the end of his career...no one was calling him that anymore.

blackbucket
03-06-2005, 12:51 AM
I echo what most have said. I was fortunate to be at the MDM and come back games. They were UNBELIEVABLE. Sean truly is a cherished San Antonian.

Congrats!

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-06-2005, 02:07 AM
I was at Sean's comeback game, second to last row on the lower deck of the Dome in the corner. Greatness.

I'll never forget the MDM either. I had blown out my knee two months earlier and had been doing PT to get ready for surgery (argh!!!!!!), coming home from PT listening to Elliott drop three after three on the radio, and hobbling in the door just as they were coming back from the timeout and then Elliott hits the shot of his career.

MannyIsGod
03-06-2005, 06:49 AM
I hate to add to the broken record effect, but the MDM by far.

The game he won in Cleveland also sticks out in my mind.

The comeback game was huge of course.

I remember watching game after game when Pop became coach, and having teams fall for the play where Sean would start to cut to the free throw line, then cut hard to the basket and Avery would hit him with a perfect pass for a dunk. It ALWAYS worked.

I remember watching Manu and Tony run that play earlier this year (they've run it a bunch since, but I think it was the first time they had run it since Sean retired) and both my friend Robert and I go "That's Sean's old play!". Not even 2 seconds later, Sean doing the commentary for the game goes "That's my old play!".

I remember his damn pet store.

Does anyone remember his music reviews on Instant Replay? Those were funny as hell!

alamo50
03-06-2005, 08:05 AM
I am very sad I won't be able to be there tonight..........

:(

Sonia_TX
03-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Oh man, I remember Seans Taco Cabana commercials! lol Those were hilarious. Even now I can't say Taco Cabana w/out mimicking Sean!

timvp
03-06-2005, 04:48 PM
The Memorial Day Miracle was amazing. It's right there with Game Six of the 2003 championship as the most exciting game I've ever been to. The comeback game was awesome.

Some random thoughts:

1) His game winner against the Suns at Phoenix when he hit that shot over George McCloud was classic.

2) I don't know a player other than Wilt Chamberlain who forced the NBA to change the rules in midseason. Sean Elliott was killing teams one year (I think in his fourth season) with a wicked spin move drive. It worked almost every time and he was averaging like 22 points per game. Then the NBA held a meeting and they decided that move was travelling. So for like the next ten games, the refs called travelling on Elliott like three times per game. The amazing part was that if you look at the move in slow motion, it was a perfectly legal play.

3) The pass to AJ for the championship winner.

4) He's the only person who calls David Robinson "Dave" every time. :lol

5) He was hours away from being traded to Golden State for Latrell Sprewell ... until Sprewell choked PJ Carlesimo. Good thing he wasn't because he turned out to be the perfect third star in the 1999 championship run.

6) That time they showed the clip on NBC from practice where Pop yells at Elliott: "Stop whining Sean ... Not everything is about you!". Everyone knew that Pop and Sean were best friends, so treating him like crap was Pop's way of bringing Sean down to an equal level with every other player. Same concept with Malik Rose a decade later.

7) The way he worked on his game. He made one three-pointer in his first NBA season. By the time he retired, he was the franchise leader.

8) The offseason that he gained 35 pounds of muscle. He said he worked out eight hours a day. And if you saw him early in the season, he was HUGE. But then he had some knee problems and the doctors said he was carrying too much weight, so he went back to his sleek look.

9) He was a very underrated defender. He used his quickness and his jumping ability to shutdown a lot of his opposition.

10) It looked like the Spurs had lost Elliott to the Suns after their new owner invited him to be part of the ownership group. Elliott was to join Steve Kerr as the face of the new group that was to take over the Suns. Elliott agreed, but then after thinking about it, decided he was too much of a Spur. The truth is, no one is a bigger fan of the Spurs than Sean Elliott.

nacho estrada
03-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Bump for #32

Manu20
03-07-2005, 12:23 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wp0405_elliott_800.jpg

Congrats!

maxpower
03-07-2005, 11:12 AM
You could tell he had a huge lump in his throat and was fightinb back the tears while the first speakers went up. He took a few deep breaths and was able to hold back the tears and not break down. I'm betting he had some bets with buddies.