PDA

View Full Version : More Minutes For G. Hill?

STX_21
02-09-2009, 02:40 PM
In Sunday's game against Boston, George Hill played really well on both ends of the floor. He played much better on the defensive end, making Rondo really uncomfortable and was no liability on offense.

I was actually a bit annoyed that Pop pulled him out of the game when he was playing the best basketball of anyone on the court at that time and replaced him with Parker whose defense was atrocious at best.

Can anyone explain why the kid can't get a few more minutes, even when he seems to be earning it with great play?

Harry Callahan
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
The Spurs are blessed to have Tony Parker. That's all. G Hill is an important player. I'm really happy with his production in limited minutes. He's a keeper.

timvp
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Pop might have let Hill finish the game but after his layup against KG, the offense collapsed. Over the next three minutes, the Spurs only scored two points (on the Oberto putback).

bigdog
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
It seems that Pop's confidence in Hill is growing each game, even though he might commit a rookie mistake here and there, he has been playing very well. I agree that he should be getting a few more minutes. I think the move in the 4th quarter was just to get the offense back on track, if not, then I wouldn't have been surprised if George played out the rest of the game.

SenorSpur
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
No question that Hill is better at pestering a PG like Rondo.

EricB
02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
George Hill as a rookie is gonna have his ups and downs.

While you want him to straighten them out, you don't want to sacrifice wins for it though.

DAF86
02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
George Hill as a rookie is gonna have his ups and downs.

While you want him to straighten them out, you don't want to sacrifice wins for it though.

He may had been the biggest reason we won yesterday. At the end of the 3rd and/or beggining of the 4th he was the only one making plays and keeping us on the game.

Solid D
02-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Pop might have let Hill finish the game but after his layup against KG, the offense collapsed. Over the next three minutes, the Spurs only scored two points (on the Oberto putback).

I'll just add that Hill had turned it over on a poor fast break pass to Fin (Rondo picked off) and then there was the poor exchange that Mace lost out of bounds that may have caused Pop to shuttle in some "fresh" offense. Pop subbed-in the All-Star, the Closer, and the Shoulder Rocket Launcher all at the same time with 5 minutes left.

Hill did come on for defensive purposes for Parker a couple of times during the final 19 seconds. Pop has started using (1 Trip only) Thomas, Bowen and Hill for defensive reasons at ends of games. It's nice to have the luxury of a defensive chess-move for Pivots, Wings, and Playmakers now.

EricB
02-09-2009, 06:19 PM
He may had been the biggest reason we won yesterday. At the end of the 3rd and/or beggining of the 4th he was the only one making plays and keeping us on the game.

That was true for that game.

There will be other games though that hes turning the ball over, unagressive and hurting the team so you limit his minutes.

superbigtime
02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Looking at the boxscore, at the cost of who's minutes does GH get more of them? Fin's minutes are still a little heavy at 25-30, would like to see him get around 20-22. Bruuuuce is still not getting enough PT. There's just not enough minutes for everyone every night. PT is going to vary based on matchups and fouls and the flow of the game. Ime is getting zero minutes and I'm totally okay with that. Manu and the starting 5 all got >30 minutes (except Finley's 27 minutes). It's up to Pop to maybe limit Tony's PT if he's not having a good game and utilize GH more. He plays great D. Other than driving to the cup, his decision making is sometimes shaky.

EricB
02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
If he takes anyones minutes it won't be Finley because alot of nights they play different positions, so it would be at the expense of a top 5 NBA point guard.

Its a nice problem to have however.

kace
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
a lot of people are overreacting on him, especially on his D. It seems hard to overreact about a guy that is doing well but it's what is happening with Hill.

Paul scored 16 of his 38 points on him in only 5 minutes last time !!!! (we were +15 when he entered the game and only +7 when he went out).
Paul scored "only" 22 pts in 27 minutes with tony on him.

The kid is a great prospect but i'm not sure he needs to play more right now.

Tony needs to play 30/35 minutes and Fin/Mason/Manu are more useful than him at their best as SG. Hill seeing more minutes would mean one of these four is playing bad because i just don't see Hill taking minutes from them if everyone play at his best level.

angelbelow
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
i think he should get an increase. if pop is willing to bench tony, why not limit his minutes a little bit.

superbigtime
02-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I think 12- 18 minutes is probably okay for GH. But if he gets hot or is on a roll with the team looking good it would be cool to see him log 28-30 minutes.

#2!
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
i think learning to contribute in small spurts of PT like he did against boston is really important. I mean in the playoffs he's not going to be getting extra minutes to contribute, just spot minutes like he is right now.

Red Hawk #21
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Something I was thinking of lately is that I think Hill is gunna be a future all-star but you guys already have an all star PG. Even though Im basically looking forward by bringing this up its something you guys ought to think about. If Hill keeps improving and becomes an all star one day either he or TP is gunna have to go.

02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
parker should be getting 31-32 minutes to keep him in shape for the playoffs and the many years to come. that gives hill 16-17 minutes which is great for a rookie. parker and hill should never be on the same floor together because the universe might explode. as hill progresses, parker will be given ginobili type minutes (under 29 minutes) to further preserve him. then hill will get 19-20 minutes which will be great backup minutes.

SpursIndonesia
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Hill will get more minutes if Coach Pop thinks he deserves that, can't get any more simple than that for us simpleton armchair coaches out there.

exstatic
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Something I was thinking of lately is that I think Hill is gunna be a future all-star but you guys already have an all star PG. Even though Im basically looking forward by bringing this up its something you guys ought to think about. If Hill keeps improving and becomes an all star one day either he or TP is gunna have to go.

GHill is much more likely to be Ginobili's replacement than Parker's. Manu is 31, close to the "sell by date" for SGs, but Parker is still only 26.