PDA

View Full Version : SI: Reggie Miller on the deal that would put the Spurs over the top

ezau
02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Reggie Miller joined the show to analyze all the trade talk rumbling through the NBA. Here are some of his takes:

-- Miller says if the Spurs could obtain Rasheed Wallace, they'd be the favorites to win the West (even if the Lakers get Andrew Bynum back).

-- Miller likes the Adam Morrison trade for the Lakers. He thinks Morrison has less attitude than Vladimir Radmanovic. Miller was a bit surprised the Bobcats gave up on Morrison so quickly, but then again, as Miller noted, Larry Brown often wants to change his whole roster.

tp2021
02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
:lol

G-Nob
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Poor Reggie, he means well, but he's not very insightful as an nba analyst.

wisnub
02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Miller is right...Rasheed will make us unbeatable team in NBA if Mason also stay. i dont know about salary cap it might sounds impossible though

rayray2k8
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Miller is right...Rasheed will make us unbeatable team in NBA if Mason also stay. i dont know about salary cap it might sounds impossible though
which is why it wouldnt work.
this isnt fantasy basketball, so try being realistic... kay? :lol

TheSpursFNRule
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
He's right but it has to happen.

Ditty
02-09-2009, 11:09 PM
it will happen mark my word

The_Worlds_finest
02-09-2009, 11:11 PM
My first instinct would be to say "trade manu" or "trade parker" cause they are both old and suck anyway....

Sheed is at 13.68 mil, the trade could work but spurs would have to move Thomas (4.2) Oberto(3.5), Bowen(4) and vaughn(1.26) and udoka(1.08), i dont see pistons doing it. To bad cause I agree with miller, think of Sheed as a bigger better blacker matt bonner who plays mad D.

The_Worlds_finest
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
HEY SPURSOWNTEXAS I am in the video on the LEFT of your signature! Thats me walking by at the .55 second mark!!! The one with the nasty chops!

Stump
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
My first instinct would be to say "trade manu" or "trade parker" cause they are both old and suck anyway....

Sheed is at 13.68 mil, the trade could work but spurs would have to move Thomas (4.2) Oberto(3.5), Bowen(4) and vaughn(1.26) and udoka(1.08), i dont see pistons doing it. To bad cause I agree with miller, think of Sheed as a bigger better blacker matt bonner who plays mad D.
I think the salaries have to be within 80% of Sheed's salaries, so they only need just under 11 million.

phyzik
02-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I dont see us getting Rasheed this year but I can see us taking him in 2010...

phyzik
02-09-2009, 11:37 PM

Your a retard... and I'm trying to be nice.

Only saying that because you mention Parker/Ginobilli in the trade...

wont happen.. Hense.... retard.

MrChug
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM

WOW...I don't even know if there's a word to describe how stupid that was. Don't post anymore.

Signed, ST

DAF86
02-09-2009, 11:55 PM

First of all: WTF is that you said about Manu and Tony?

And second the only way this trade could happen is if we can sign Horry for 8 mil. Please timvp, Kori or somebody who knows about this give us an answer.

If we can, the trade would be all of our expiring contracts: Vaughn, Udoka, Horry and Finley (the Pistons should bought his contract and we would need to sign him back so that he accepts this trade) and then add the really interesting things for Detroit, like for example: Mahinmi, the rights of Splitter, a draft pick and cash compesation. This would be the closest thing we could get to a "Gasol" kind of trade.

P.S: Sorry, I know that I posted this already somewhere else but I really want to know if we can sign Horry for that much.

dbestpro
02-09-2009, 11:57 PM

Stay away from your instincts. Stay very far away. To do well just consider every day as opposite day.

Jmoney
02-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Parker old? He's 26 he's STILL one of the youngest point guards leading his team.

xmas1997
02-10-2009, 12:11 AM
If we have Bird rights to Horry which I believe we have since he was with the Spurs the last 3 years we should be able to sign him for up to Max. money.
Plus it would be a pro-rated contract, thus around 4 mil vs. 8 mil, and for Sheeds pro-rated contract.

MarHill
02-10-2009, 12:14 AM

I can't believe I'm reading another trade Manu or trade Tony post.

Spurs fans going crazy again!!! :bang

ClingingMars
02-10-2009, 12:16 AM
HEY SPURSOWNTEXAS I am in the video on the LEFT of your signature! Thats me walking by at the .55 second mark!!! The one with the nasty chops!

pics or it didn't happen

Blake
02-10-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm surprised that Reggie didn't say that signing Reggie Miller would put the Spurs over the top.

bigdog
02-10-2009, 12:42 AM

you're saying Tony is OLD?!?!?!

Are you on crack????

bigfan
02-10-2009, 01:14 AM
If we can get Rasheed for Udoka and Vaughn Im all for it. Hah. I think we are what we are from here to the end of the season.

DrHouse
02-10-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure Sheed has much left in the tank. The guy doesn't even attempt to post up anymore. Just jacks up wild 3's.

Tully365
02-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Poor Reggie, he means well, but he's not very insightful as an nba analyst.

:lol Gotta agree. It's not news that adding a 6'11" perennial star to an already very good team will make them better, especially one who actually enjoys playing defense and is pretty good at it. The real insight would be to explain how he could be obtained without dismantling the team and losing valuable role players.

Deimosfobos
02-10-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm not sure Sheed has much left in the tank. The guy doesn't even attempt to post up anymore. Just jacks up wild 3's.

I have to say I do share your concern... this year he's shooting like 3 times more 3's than his carrer average.

I would love to get him, sure, not sure he would be as great as people think tho.

crc21209
02-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Yeah I saw this too, I posted it on the Sheed topic.

Sexy Stud 28
02-10-2009, 02:16 AM
:lol Gotta agree. It's not news that adding a 6'11" perennial star to an already very good team will make them better, especially one who actually enjoys playing defense and is pretty good at it. The real insight would be to explain how he could be obtained without dismantling the team and losing valuable role players.

u know i thought i was the only one who was wondering that! i wouldnt b surprised if espn had breaking news of the lakers trading away powell and farmar for lebron james! lol :wakeup

TheSpursFNRule
02-10-2009, 02:21 AM
Dumars is not looking to just dump Wallace and rebuild JUST YET. He wants value in return. Maybe not EQUAL value. Wallace will be a free agent this summer. SoDumars is probably looking to get SOMETHING for him NOW before he gets NOTHING for him in the summer when he walks away. The highest bidder gets Wallace's services for the rest of the season and that is most likely not gonna be the Spurs bench and a couple of picks. If anything happens it will most likely be the Brad Miller scenario which is an upgrade but obviously not an upgrade like Sheed would be.

venitian navigator
02-10-2009, 03:41 AM
The only real value for Wallace would be Splitter's rights...are we ready to trade them? ?cause Tiago is the brightest star of our long term future.
He's making wawes in Europe...and given the good plaiyng of Marc Gasol and Scola, you can be sure is value is now extremely high (and goes down only 'cause of the money issue).

Supergirl
02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
LOL at the idea that Morrison was a good pickup. Guy never deserved to be in an NBA uniform.

TheManFromAcme
02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I dont think it will happen, but spurs could use Horry in a sign and trade to get it done. But Joe would have to get something in return most likely he would want G Hill and draft picks.

Reggie Miller is right, if the spurs retain all our top 7 players and add Wallace who can defend, score in the post rebound and shoot the 3 we would be the favs to win it all. LA has no one who could take wallace and Duncan would destroy them in the paint with Wallace Mason and Fin stretching the D.

Surely, you jest...

Favs? Dear Lord.

DaBears
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
One last note on the sheed trade talk, "Is there any proof that Sheed even wants to be a SPUR". Or are we just guessing here!

Words from his MOUTH!!!

SenorSpur
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM
LOL at the idea that Morrison was a good pickup. Guy never deserved to be in an NBA uniform.

Was quite amusing, wasn't it? :lol

FromWayDowntown
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again here: if the Spurs could somehow get Rasheed Wallace and involved Bowen in the deal, I predict that Ghost Writer's head would explode:

A headbanded balla and dumping Bowen (if only temporarily) in the process? :swoon

hater
02-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Sheed doesnt give a fuck anymore, that is why he is shooting 3s. He hates having Iverson for PG.

I am 100% sure Sheed would play his ass off for another championship w/Spurs.

Unfortunately this will never happen, we would have to give up too much including Geroge Hill

DAF86
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
If we have Bird rights to Horry which I believe we have since he was with the Spurs the last 3 years we should be able to sign him for up to Max. money.
Plus it would be a pro-rated contract, thus around 4 mil vs. 8 mil, and for Sheeds pro-rated contract.

If we do have Bird rights to Horry then the FO should go ahead and at least propose that to the Pistons. Sheed IMO is the difference between a championship and a WC finals exit.

WalterBenitez
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Parker old? He's 26 he's STILL one of the youngest point guards leading his team.

Young people get old so fast these days :wakeup

EricB
02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again here: if the Spurs could somehow get Rasheed Wallace and involved Bowen in the deal, I predict that Ghost Writer's head would explode:

He'd have that 30 jersey on order so fast it would make your head spin.

Taking it to the Hole
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM

I think playing next to 3 All-Stars might be enough to change anyone's approach to playing basketball, much less someone of Sheeds caliber. I think he has been wanting a coach like Pop who isn't afraid to sit his ass for not playing D. He doesn't have to be a scoring option, all we need him for is his defense, rebounding, and blocking some shots. Playing next to Tim is enough to take pressure off of anyone.

urunobili
02-10-2009, 11:41 AM
If we do have Bird rights to Horry then the FO should go ahead and at least propose that to the Pistons. Sheed IMO is the difference between a championship and a WC finals exit.

:lol I thought you were going to say Gortat :lol

FromWayDowntown
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Assuming the reports are true that Rasheed would like to play in San Antonio, I think the odds are good that coming to the Spurs would motivate him. While Rasheed is getting older, he remains an extremely good interior defender (to me, always the greatest strength of his game) and can assume something like a 2001-03 David Robinson role -- playing high-low with Tim and spacing the floor with a credible jumper, but being a premier defender and rebounder. I think we've seen that Rasheed will play and play hard when he respects his coach and his teammates and I suspect we'd see him have that kind of respect for what would surround him in SA.

I remain skeptical that the Spurs have the assets to pull a deal off, but if it can be done, this should be the primary target.

Getting Brad Miller might improve the Spurs slightly, but I think that getting Rasheed Wallace would give the Spurs a substantially better chance to knock off LA.

DAF86
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
:lol I thought you were going to say Gortat :lol

Gortat would help but Wallace would bring us a 'ship.

DaBears
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I believe there is always some truth to rumors, so by that logic if enough of us start spreading the word about the rasheed trade to spurs it helps the chances of it actually happening. Spread the word!!!!

Some people in the National media will get wift of it and then start digging, that would stir up talks between the clubs..

Indazone
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Don't think I'd want Sheed. Now Rashard Lewis, that's another story.

EricB
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Don't think I'd want Sheed. Now Rashard Lewis, that's another story.

Rashard Lewis is a shrinking violet overpaid jump shooting wuss.

pass.

iggypop123
02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
i think dumars isnt desperate to trade sheed especially since he will be expiring. unless you throw in mason or hill its probably not happening.

crc21209
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
i think dumars isnt desperate to trade sheed especially since he will be expiring. unless you throw in mason or hill its probably not happening.

You being a Lakers fan should know that ANYTHING is possible in the NBA so stfu. If the Fakers can get Gasol for shit (Kwame) then the Spurs can damn well get Sheed for any possible combo of Udoka, Oberto, Vaughn, Splitter rights, Mahinmi, cash, draft picks, that Horry situation, and maybe Finley. It CAN be done. :flag:

PM5K
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd hate to give up Hill, but I'd consider it. I'd rather give up Splitter.. I'd hate to go back to Vaughn as a backup, I mean he's competent, but that's not a compliment.

Sheed would put us over the top, depending on what we have to give up, but that's pretty fucking obvious.

Oh yeah, and fuck the future. We won't have Timmy forever, getting Sheed would give us one more.

Also, considering his age next season and having another ring, I bet he'd be reasonable at the bargaining table, and we'd be a contender next season as well.

wildbill2u
02-10-2009, 07:41 PM

You are now entitled to compensation for being on TV.