02-10-2009, 03:29 AM
His averages after 4 games:

25.3 ppg
11.5 rpg
2.5 apg
2.0 spg
3.2 bpg
62.7 FG%

At 6'9", 235 lbs., his body type is almost identical to James Gist's.

The Pops vs. Gist competition could be a very interesting one next season.

If no trades are made and Mahinmi isn't well come playoff time, I wonder if Pops will be added to the roster...

bigdog
02-10-2009, 03:37 AM
I think the Spurs could very well be looking at Pops as an option this year. He is tearing it up so far in Austin. He is undersized though, which kinda sucks. He was signed because a couple of Toros players left for professional teams overseas, but I'm sure the Spurs are keeping an eye on what he's doing in Austin just in case.

ChumpDumper
02-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Like I said in another thread, don't get Pops confused with a small forward. He's never going to play that spot.

Gist might.

mystargtr34
02-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Kind of sux to see a guy who cant cut it in the league putting Mahinmi's numbers and impact to shame.

Tully365
02-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Like I said in another thread, don't get Pops confused with a small forward. He's never going to play that spot.

Gist might.

Yeah, I agree. Gist seems to working quite a bit on his 3 pt shot in Italy.

ChumpDumper
02-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Kind of sux to see a guy who cant cut it in the league putting Mahinmi's numbers and impact to shame.Not really putting Ian to shame. The overall impact is pretty close to the same, and Pops is three years older.

mystargtr34
02-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Not really putting Ian to shame. The overall impact is pretty close to the same, and Pops is three years older.

Plus Ian has the size to be effective in the L. I wasnt saying Ian wont cut it in the NBA because Pops couldnt cut it - just that it puts Mahinmi's numbers into perspective a little.

big daddy russ
02-10-2009, 05:22 AM
... He is undersized though, which kinda sucks. He was signed because a couple of Toros players left for professional teams overseas, but I'm sure the Spurs are keeping an eye on what he's doing in Austin just in case.

Doesn't Pops play the high post? 6'9" is about average for a four in the NBA, and he can get by at 235. Kenyon Martin clocks in at 6'9" 230, Chris Bosh is 6'10" 230, and Ben Wallace plays center at 6'9" 240. Heck, Tyrus Thomas is "listed" at 6'9" 217 and the Hornets have David West at 6'9" 240, but I doubt either is actually 6'9."

Or maybe I missed the boat on this question.

mountainballer
02-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Doesn't Pops play the high post? 6'9" is about average for a four in the NBA, and he can get by at 235. Kenyon Martin clocks in at 6'9" 230, Chris Bosh is 6'10" 230, and Ben Wallace plays center at 6'9" 240. Heck, Tyrus Thomas is "listed" at 6'9" 217 and the Hornets have David West at 6'9" 240, but I doubt either is actually 6'9."

Or maybe I missed the boat on this question.

Hakim Warrick would be the closest to Mensah you can get. same size, body type and athleticism. quite big enough for some of the possible match ups with those super mobile bigs.

Obstructed_View
02-10-2009, 06:13 AM

Gist might.

The guy's about the same size as two of the Spurs' centers, so if he can rebound a little, defend a little, and block some shots then he's got a chance to be a help at the 4/5.

benefactor
02-10-2009, 06:26 AM
As I said in the other Pops thread, there is a good chance that he will get a 10 day right after the ASB because the Spurs and Toros schedules coincide during that time. Unless we get into serious trade talks for a big he could very well join the team for the NY game on the 17th.

Though he is undersized I think he could be helpful to this team. He is more athletic than Tolliver and he finishes strong at the rim. He has looked good on the offensive glass and blocking shots, but the jury is out on whether or not that will translate on an NBA level. As far as cheap, end of the roster bigs go he is probably one of the better options right now.

urunobili
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Pops>Oberto

Obstructed_View
02-10-2009, 04:44 PM
BTW, I move that from here on out, anyone referring to the Spurs coach as "Pops" be pinked for creating confusion.

tp2021
02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
As I said in the other Pops thread, there is a good chance that he will get a 10 day right after the ASB because the Spurs and Toros schedules coincide during that time. Unless we get into serious trade talks for a big he could very well join the team for the NY game on the 17th.

What worries me is that someone else can sign him before the Spurs do.

hater
02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Pops for Sheed

ChumpDumper
02-10-2009, 06:50 PM
The last two Toros games against Colorado and RGV are now in the archive:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/webcast_archive_0708.html

Steve-O-Matic
02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Pops measured 6-7 1/2, 232 lbs prior to the 2006 NBA Draft. He's an undersized 4 with no ability to play the 3 or 5.

Gist measured 6-7, 220 and is making the PF-to-SF conversion.

The Pops/Hakim Warrick comparison is a good one. Pops is a poor man's Warrick minus any semblence of a jump shot.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
he's definitely worth a try..

I truly believe he's the backup option if we don't make a trade, but that we are definitely looking into trade options..

should be an interesting week coming up..

Manufan909
02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Hope he gets a chance, unless Pop finds some fairy dust and gets Sheed for crap+Fin(i know he has to agree).

How do you get a no trade clause anyways? Did he have one in Dallas?

Austin_Toros
02-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Anybody notice that Marcus Williams nearly got a triple-double last game?
Marcus Williams, anyone???

Manufan909
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Marcus Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry AT, I had to do it once I saw you were the last poster.:p: And I didn't even have to change your post up much!!!:downspin:

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I've always been surprised as to why this guy wasn't in the NBA. I think George Washington lost like 2 games during his entire senior year, he's a legit player.

Manufan909
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I've always been surprised as to why this guy wasn't in the NBA. I think George Washington lost like 2 games during his entire senior year, he's a legit player.

George Wash?

benefactor
02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Pops Still Looking For NBA Move (http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000328.shtml)

POPS Mensah-Bonsu looks a dead cert for an imminent NBA call-up.

That's the verdict of his D League coach Quin Snyder who has bossed the GB star for four games now with the Austin Toros.

Pops has averaged 25.3 points, 11.5 rebounds and 3.3 blocks a game in his four matches and has been described as the best player in the league by more than one coach.

Snyder said: "He walked on the court at practice and I was just glad to see him on the second day!

"I would think he is a guy who will get a call up opportunity. From there, if it's a good fit, he can stay, certainly he's got the ability.

"Some of it is just chance, if somebody gets hurt or something else happens, but I definitely see him at that level."

Mensah-Bonsu is making a splash back in the league where he formerly starred for the Fort Worth Flyers on his way to making the Dallas Mavericks roster.

His time in Europe has been up and down and his season with Badalona in Spain wrecked by shoulder injury.

But Snyder, a legendary college coach in his time at Missouri, has no doubt the forward's career is back on track.

Snyder said: "He's been doing great, to get acclimated as quickly as he has is terrific.

"His energy picks everybody up and I think he is so excited about playing again that it shows out on the floor.

"He has been rebounding, scoring, blocking shots but, more than anything else, he has helped us win.

"He will get better and better as he gets more comfortable with us because we've had a lot of new guys and everybody is trying to get to know each other.
-----------------------------------------------------------

With all the speculation about trade rumors, this is probably our most likely move. I see him joining the team just after the deadline.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I'd rather bring back Horry. All due respect to Pops, but he's the proverbial Triple-A 1/2 player. He'll tear up the D-league, but his game can't carry over from D-league to the NBA.

lurker23
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Hope he gets a chance, unless Pop finds some fairy dust and gets Sheed for crap+Fin(i know he has to agree).

How do you get a no trade clause anyways? Did he have one in Dallas?

Finley can veto trades because he's playing under a one-year contract and has been playing for the Spurs for 3+ years (that is, they have his Bird Rights). It's the 5th bullet point here:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q85

With all the speculation about trade rumors, this is probably our most likely move. I see him joining the team just after the deadline.

Agreed. I think the Spurs are just waiting until the deadline to see what they can find on the trade market. Hopefully the rest of the teams decide to wait at least that long on Pops as well.

benefactor
02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Agreed. I think the Spurs are just waiting until the deadline to see what they can find on the trade market. Hopefully the rest of the teams decide to wait at least that long on Pops as well.
I think they will. Most of the teams looking to add players are working the trade markets just like we are. I don't see anyone calling up a player from the D-League until the deadline passes.

Dex
02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu!

j-6
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Snyder, a legendary college coach in his time at Missouri

That's awesome.

benefactor
02-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd rather bring back Horry. All due respect to Pops, but he's the proverbial Triple-A 1/2 player. He'll tear up the D-league, but his game can't carry over from D-league to the NBA.
For the record...a bag of stale chips would be better than bringing back Horry.

Pops is still very young and was raw coming out of college. It's hard to say that his game can't carry over when he has played so little due to time overseas and injuries. If we can't add a major piece before the deadline he is probably our best bet for depth on the front line when you consider all available options.

Bartleby
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't see Pop's size as a problem. He is about the same height and weight as Paul Millsap, who has no problems holding his own in the post.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Anybody notice that Marcus Williams nearly got a triple-double last game?
Marcus Williams, anyone???

The digital pimp, hard at work...

exstatic
02-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't see Pop's size as a problem. He is about the same height and weight as Paul Millsap, who has no problems holding his own in the post.

The difference is that Millsap is a load. He probably goes 255-260 and has the beef to move people around in the post.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Pops is still very young and was raw coming out of college. It's hard to say that his game can't carry over when he has played so little due to time overseas and injuries. If we can't add a major piece before the deadline he is probably our best bet for depth on the front line when you consider all available options.

Respectfully disagree. I just don't see what a 6-7 PF who's only skill is being athletic gives us. On defense you can't ask him to guard any of the myriad of 6-10+ guys the Spurs are going come across in the playoffs. On offense he's either going to be close to the paint, i.e. in Tim Duncan's way, or standing alone outside the paint because there's no reason to respect his outside shot.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM

Amen. :tu

With all due respect to Horry and his contributions, it was so obvoius that he was absolutely "gassed" last year. Mustering up a good game very 10-12 games and not being available for B2B games does not constitute a good role player. How quickly we forget his numerous defensive miscues because he simply couldn't make the quick rotations anymore.

It was obvious Horry was done last year and stayed a year too long. He has retired to the couch this year. Let's all stop living in the past. Time to let it go, people.

If the Spurs can't pull off a trade before the deadline, 'll take the bad of stale chips too.

benefactor
02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Respectfully disagree. I just don't see what a 6-7 PF who's only skill is being athletic gives us. On defense you can't ask him to guard any of the myriad of 6-10+ guys the Spurs are going come across in the playoffs. On offense he's either going to be close to the paint, i.e. in Tim Duncan's way, or standing alone outside the paint because there's no reason to respect his outside shot.
Most sites I have visited have him listed at 6'9...sounds like you are ready to sell him short before he even has a chance. I am not sure where you get the idea that about him having no skills besides being "athletic."

I also think you have the wrong idea about how he will be used. He is a PF, so he will be probably be backing up Duncan and not playing with him. He will play with the second unit where most of the offense will come from Hill and Manu. His primary duty on offense will be to be available around the rim when Manu drives and draws attention and to get offensive boards(he averages almost 5 per game). He will also be useful in our transition game. On defense, his rim defense/shot blocking will be used to deter guard penetration(a huge problem for us when Duncan is out). The jury is still out on whether or not he can guard bigger forwards/centers, but that job will probably fall more on Duncan and Thomas' shoulders.

He is certainly flawed(no outside shot), but once we get beyond the deadline these are the only types of players that will be available. If Coach Snyder(who I would think is far better at assessing players then you or I) thinks he has potential at the next level then I see nothing wrong with giving him a 10 day.

urunobili
02-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Pops can also be new TP's target for Alley Oops... we don;t have that kind of player nowadays on our roster...

picnroll
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Pops can also be new TP's target for Alley Oops... we don;t have that kind of player nowadays on our roster...
I didn't even realize until last night that Parker was capable of throwing an oop. :lol

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Most sites I have visited have him listed at 6'9...sounds like you are ready to sell him short before he even has a chance. I am not sure where you get the idea that about him having no skills besides being "athletic."

I also think you have the wrong idea about how he will be used. He is a PF, so he will be probably be backing up Duncan and not playing with him. He will play with the second unit where most of the offense will come from Hill and Manu. His primary duty on offense will be to be available around the rim when Manu drives and draws attention and to get offensive boards(he averages almost 5 per game). He will also be useful in our transition game. On defense, his rim defense/shot blocking will be used to deter guard penetration(a huge problem for us when Duncan is out). The jury is still out on whether or not he can guard bigger forwards/centers, but that job will probably fall more on Duncan and Thomas' shoulders.

He is certainly flawed(no outside shot), but once we get beyond the deadline these are the only types of players that will be available. If Coach Snyder(who I would think is far better at assessing players then you or I) thinks he has potential at the next level then I see nothing wrong with giving him a 10 day.

While I certainly respect Quin Snyder's basketball knowledge I think we also need to respect the knowledge of 30 NBA GM's and coaches who thus far have not agreed with Quin about Pops' NBA potential. If Pops were truly 6-9 and skilled he'd be on an NBA roster right now.

EricB
02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
The Spurs don't throw alley oops OH NOES!!!

EricB
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
While I certainly respect Quin Snyder's basketball knowledge I think we also need to respect the knowledge of 30 NBA GM's and coaches who thus far have not agreed with Quin about Pops' NBA potential. If Pops were truly 6-9 and skilled he'd be on an NBA roster right now.

Yeah, if your not drafted, then your not an NBA Player!

Signed

Kelenna Azubuike

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, if your not drafted, then your not an NBA Player!

Signed

Kelenna Azubuike

But if you dominate in the D-league you are!

Signed

Marcus Fizer

benefactor
02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
He has only played 4 games total...dating back to Jan. 30. Between then and now most teams that are looking to add players are doing the same thing the Spurs are doing, looking to make a move before the deadline. They are not considering D-League players, especially not players like Pops that are basically depth moves and not impact players. He will probably get a look after the deadline...hopefully by us.

lurker23
02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
FWIW, at a pre-draft camp in 2006, Pops measured 6'7.5" without shoes and 6'9" with shoes. The "with shoes" measurement is what you typically see listed on rosters. Usually shoes add about 1.25 inches, but apparently Pops shoes were slightly beefier.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Wings--spans--N--Things-Analyzing-the-Pre-Draft-Measurements-1349/

Mr Bones
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Though in his favor is the fact that he was a borderline nba player already with above average athleticism, and then went and played in Europe for a couple of years where he had to work on his fundamentals. Plus he's still young.

Tully365
02-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Amazing how Mensah-Bonsu's stats are nearly identical to those of Courtney Sims, and there are posters here talking up Bonsu who just 3 weeks ago were saying Sims' D-league stats don't mean shit because it's the d-league. That's a homer for ya!

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I've got no problems with the Toros hanging on to this guy. By all means, keep him. Work with him. Try and turn him into something the Spurs can use. But isn't the immediate concern is finding someone who, in just three short months from now, you can ask to go guard Bynum or Gasol for even just a couple of minutes and not worry about him getting killed out there? If so, is Pops really the best guy out there who can fill that role? I don't think he is. If Pop & RC do, so be it. I'll be rooting for the chance to have my face rubbed in it for not believing in the guy.

Mr Bones
02-16-2009, 02:19 PM
It's true that most D League players are not going to play in the nba, but I think RC, coach Pop and their staff have found players that others have missed in the past and will continue to do so. Hill and Mason have proven it again this year-- the Spurs are simply better at evaluating talent than most teams.

EricB
02-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Amazing how Mensah-Bonsu's stats are nearly identical to those of Courtney Sims, and there are posters here talking up Bonsu who just 3 weeks ago were saying Sims' D-league stats don't mean shit because it's the d-league. That's a homer for ya!

Or it could be they have completely different games?

Nah.

urunobili
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
It's true that most D League players are not going to play in the nba, but I think RC, coach Pop and their staff have found players that others have missed in the past and will continue to do so. Hill and Mason have proven it again this year-- the Spurs are simply better at evaluating talent than most teams.

:tu

Tully365
02-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Or it could be they have completely different games?

Nah.

How many of Pops' d league games have you watched?

benefactor
02-16-2009, 03:57 PM
As far as the Pops/Sims comparisons go, I think the biggest thing is that Pops has been with the Toros for several weeks now and has 4 games and lots of practices in the Spurs system. The Spurs have the luxury of a much more hands on approach with Pops, so they know a little more about what they are getting. With Sims you just bring him in and hope for the best.

Tully365
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
As far as the Pops/Sims comparisons go, I think the biggest thing is that Pops has been with the Toros for several weeks now and has 4 games and lots of practices in the Spurs system. The Spurs have the luxury of a much more hands on approach with Pops, so they know a little more about what they are getting. With Sims you just bring him in and hope for the best.

I agree, and I actually like the move by the Spurs to bring Pops in for a look. (That's why I started the thread.) I was just pointing out that EricB is harshly critical of non-spurs while always defending guys that, if they were not Spurs, he would almost definitely say were scrubs. He's the biggest homer on this site. You can bet that if Dallas had assigned Pops to their d league affiliate, EricB would say "lol he sucks" and if someone else posted saying Pops has the potential to be an athletic 10th man, EricB would say " your (sic) stupid and don't know anything about basketball, go back to SpursReport."

ChumpDumper
02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, Sims is still with the Suns. Sims is definitely a more polished offensive player, but he seems to rely more on his size advantage in the D-League than anything else. There is a noticeable difference between his energy level and Pops' -- at least from the games I've seen. I would like to get Pops on the Spurs if only to recreate the transition offense we had when Elson was here.

EricB
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
How many of Pops' d league games have you watched?

A couple.

Sims is very much a Mark Blount type of player.

EricB
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree, and I actually like the move by the Spurs to bring Pops in for a look. (That's why I started the thread.) I was just pointing out that EricB is harshly critical of non-spurs while always defending guys that, if they were not Spurs, he would almost definitely say were scrubs. He's the biggest homer on this site. You can bet that if Dallas had assigned Pops to their d league affiliate, EricB would say "lol he sucks" and if someone else posted saying Pops has the potential to be an athletic 10th man, EricB would say " your (sic) stupid and don't know anything about basketball, go back to SpursReport."

Uh, wrong.

Your so off base you should just freaking quit while your ahead.

Tully365
02-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Uh, wrong.

Your so off base you should just freaking quit while your ahead.

You're so way off base. It's called English. Quit while you're ahead.

I'm so off base that I predicted you would spell your wrong in my post and even followed it with (sic) to alert you, and you still spelled it wrong!

:lol That's why I knew you were TPark. 4th grade spelling mistakes.

Please stop debating me-- you are just embarrassing yo-self.

Tully365
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
A couple.

Sims is very much a Mark Blount type of player.

You're shooting yourself in the foot, again. In Blount's best year, he averaged 12 & 6. He played in the league for 9 years. How is that a bad projection for a 5th big?

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey Chump, you watching the game?

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Mensa with an O board and jam, he could have more stats, but I didn't watch from the beginning.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey Chump, you watching the game?Came in a few minutes ago. Anaheim can be tough since they have what has to be currently the biggest lineup in the league. The Toros have Squeaky Johnson and Ezra Williams back though, so that's good.

EricB
02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
You're shooting yourself in the foot, again. In Blount's best year, he averaged 12 & 6. He played in the league for 9 years. How is that a bad projection for a 5th big?

Type of game, not player.

Good lord. Get a life.

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Came in a few minutes ago. Anaheim can be tough since they have what has to be currently the biggest lineup in the league. The Toros have Squeaky Johnson and Ezra Williams back though, so that's good.

Please tell me he is having an off night at the charity stripe... ok, they said he is 60 something, so I guess so, since he's 20% right now.

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 07:01 PM
They're trying hack-a-pops!!!:lmao

At least HE MADE THE LAST 2. Dude is a rebounding machine(10, split down the middle between O and D).:toast

urunobili
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
is it banned for international ip addresses? i pay a league pass on a tv in PHX and i can't watch this? :depressed

ChumpDumper
02-16-2009, 07:26 PM
is it banned for international ip addresses? i pay a league pass on a tv in PHX and i can't watch this? :depressedBruno usually is able to watch.

The Toros really dominate the boards when Pops and Eric Dawson are out there together.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
so how does Pops look? will he be getting the call-up to the big leagues? how does he look as a big man? does he play more like one than Bonner and Oberto?..

benefactor
02-16-2009, 07:32 PM
For some reason I can't see the broadcast. The player comes up but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Damn, Pops is really athletic. That's the first jam I had a good angle on, he got up there effortlessly. Fuck, missed the alley when I was posting. 17 and 13 aready. Now at 19, 20 if he gets the And1.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Try this link in your media player:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26584/500_nba-d-leaguearsenal_071102.asx

benefactor
02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
20min...17pts, 13reb...6 offensive. :tu

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Fuck, missed it. Chump, this is the only game I've seen a good chunk of(all but 3 mins), what's your current take on his D?

urunobili
02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Bruno usually is able to watch.

The Toros really dominate the boards when Pops and Eric Dawson are out there together.

Only for those countries where the league sells the broadband package are able to see it... I see all my games via slingbox from a TV in Phoenix... so Uruguay has their ip country code blacked out for any NBA transmission... oh well... i could hook work's laptop and see it there via VPN but i prefer to trust your judgment on Pops evolution :tu

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
21 for Mensa now.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Only for those countries where the league sells the broadband package are able to see it... I see all my games via slingbox from a TV in Phoenix... so Uruguay has their ip country code blacked out for any NBA transmission... oh well... i could hook work's laptop and see it there via VPN but i prefer to trust your judgment on Pops evolution :tuCan you see any of the archived games?

Bartleby
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Pops is piling up the FT's tonight.

benefactor
02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Try this link in your media player:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26584/500_nba-d-leaguearsenal_071102.asx
Thanks Chump...its working.

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
He's now at Shaqs FT%.

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Pops monster block was wasted.:depressed

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I want to murder that mascot.:bang

benefactor
02-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice flush and 1 by Marcus Williams. Austin Toros clamoring for us to sign him in 3....2...1........

benefactor
02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Pops...26pts, 18reb(9 off), 2blk, 8-14 FG, 10-19 FT.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 08:30 PM
wow, what a line..

I'm kind of disappointed that some people have compared him to Hakim Warrick though..Hakim's a pretty good player, but he doesn't exactly fit our need for a big man..

xmas1997
02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
wow, what a line..

I'm kind of disappointed that some people have compared him to Hakim Warrick though..Hakim's a pretty good player, but he doesn't exactly fit our need for a big man..

Agree, he's not the difference we need to get past L.A. in a 7 game playoff series.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 12:51 AM
If he can even somewhat fill the hole on D, and like some have already stated, recreate what Elson provided on O, he could be what the Spurs need. I just wish he was taller. Who knows, maybe he has a low center of gravity.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
well I can't really comment, because I haven't seen him play..I'm just pointing out that a few people here have compared him to Hakim Warrick, who wouldn't be an answer against the Lakers, since he's too small..

SenorSpur
02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Tell you the truth with his blocking prowess and ability to rebound. he's all we need.

Those certainly are areas where the Spurs need help. If that's all he could provide, I'll take it. If Pop wants to see some upsurge in the defensive stats, adding a player with this type of defensive prowess could possibly help some.

xtremesteven33
02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Injection of Youth and Athletecism is never a bad thing for the Spurs...haha

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 05:07 PM
It is for Popovich's blood pressure.

PDXSpursFan
02-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu is where he belongs... leave him there

EricB
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
If he has a few more performances like this, what would it hurt to give him a look?

ChumpDumper
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM
The Toros play LA at 5:30 central time tonight.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/webcastDleague.html

I'm going to miss the first half of the game. This might be the direct link to the game once it starts:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26583/500_nba-d-leaguedfenders_071102.asx

yavozerb
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Hey chump, can any NBA team sign Pops outright or do the spurs have 1st choice if another team is interested?

ace3g
02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
the link works, thanks

ace3g
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Toros up 27 -14 in the first quarter

ace3g
02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
the last couple of plays called for Pops, he has been working down in the block, turning, facing the basket and then going for the Timmy bank shot; and he has either made the shot or drew a foul

coyotes_geek
02-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey chump, can any NBA team sign Pops outright or do the spurs have 1st choice if another team is interested?

Not chump, but to answer your question Pops is a free agent and the Spurs have no rights to him. Any NBA team can sign him at any time.

benefactor
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
....and Pops drills the game winner. :tu

Line - 25pts, 11reb, 2blk, 3ast, 9-15 FG, 7-7 FT.

urunobili
02-17-2009, 09:03 PM

:worthy:

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 10:33 PM

No foul trouble this game? If so, sweetness.:toast

Texas_Ranger
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Tolliver was also playing great in the D-leauge! I wouldn't count on the players from this league.

tav1
02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
He picked up a couple cheap fouls on screens.

underdawg
02-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Tolliver was also playing great in the D-leauge! I wouldn't count on the players from this league.

2 different skill sets - don't you agree? Tolliver couldn't shoot while he was on the Spurs. I'd guess Pops role on the Spurs wouldn't be to score - defense and rebounding would seem to be his role.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
And dunks. Which are the same no matter what. Fuck bring in Marcus W. for Fin, no one could be shittier than Fin right now. Why Hairston didn't get a chance tonight is beyond me.

Agloco
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
BTW, I move that from here on out, anyone referring to the Spurs coach as "Pops" be pinked for creating confusion.

The woman in my sig is Paloma "Pops" Fiuza.....

I move that I get an exemption. :hat

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Tolliver couldn't make shots, but he was good otherwise..he hustled, he rebounded well, he was a surprisingly good passer..if he made shots, he could have been our Horry for the year..

Chomag
02-19-2009, 05:57 PM
After a no trade past deadline. LETS give this guy a shot! A good look at him would not hurt. If it doesnt work out then meh... no lose either way.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Better to wait and see who falls out of the buyout tree the next week or so.

Bruno
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
A team in Spain is said to be interested in him:
http://www.solobasket.com/contenidos/zoco/cai/busca/sustituto/lewis/acb/outside/c-20689.html

Spurs have an open roster spot and no financial trouble. I really think that they should give him a 10 days contract to see what he is worth at the NBA level.

EricB
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Let him go.

Sign Nesterovic or Moore.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Let him go.

Sign Nesterovic or Moore.

Moore is going to Boston.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.solobasket.com/contenidos/zoco/cai/busca/sustituto/lewis/acb/outside/c-20689.html

Spurs have an open roster spot and no financial trouble. I really think that they should give him a 10 days contract to see what he is worth at the NBA level.Right, couldn't he just be waived if someone like Rasho became available during that time?

Penya
02-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Spurs have an open roster spot and no financial trouble. I really think that they should give him a 10 days contract to see what he is worth at the NBA level.

CAI Zaragoza is not a great team... I'm not sure he wants to go there.

Spurs must give him a chance so that he can show his abilities, IMO.

Bruno
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Right, couldn't he just be waived if someone like Rasho became available during that time?

Yes, he could.

Robinho
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
brinng him

ChumpDumper
02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
The Toros play in Bakersfield tonight, so we'll know soon enough if any team jumps on him.

Russ
02-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Ready to drink the koolaid for this guy -- he's got to be better than Mikey Moore.

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone, have there been rumors about Rasho being bought out? Cuz I've heard it here, but I want to know the official sources.

EricB
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Did I hear right on the broadcast David Aldridge said that Pops would get called up tommarow?

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I'd easily prefer Rasho, but like others have said, you have to give Pops a try..nothing is a guarantee with other players signing with us, so let's try one of our D-leaguers..he deserves a shot..

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Did I hear right on the broadcast David Aldridge said that Pops would get called up tommarow?

On tnt, duck i missed it.

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Good news

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 09:42 PM

Is that true? I watched most of the TNT halftime interview with DA and he only talked about what trade activity that most teams (including Spurs) tried to accomplish. Didn't hear anything about Pops.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Pops is playing in Bakersfield right now.

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26588/500_nba-d-leaguejam_071102.asx

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
3-4 so far.

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
5-7 now, with a block.

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 10:35 PM
6-8, with his first board, an O one.

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Chump, you watching?

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Holy crap, Pops has a 5ft away game!!!:lmao

Russ
02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Nice swat.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Chump, you watching?Yeah, Pops is doing well offensively. That make from the top of the key probably sealed a call up for him. Showing good patience in the post. Kind of a joke to cover him with Justin Reed though -- never a good defender and coming off a broken foot to boot.

bigdog
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
he looked good in the first half. lets see how he does in the 2nd. if he does a solid job then I expect to see him called up soon.

EricB
02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Is that true? I watched most of the TNT halftime interview with DA and he only talked about what trade activity that most teams (including Spurs) tried to accomplish. Didn't hear anything about Pops.

I thought I heard him say that during the first half of the game, not halftime.

Bartleby
02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I thought I heard him say that during the first half of the game, not halftime.

Did he say it was the Spurs calling him up, or just that he was getting a call-up?

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
8-10(17 pts), 3 rbs, 2 blks, and only one foul. Not bad for only a first half of action.

Russ
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Terrible defense (sorry to say)

Just let the man fly by him on the baseline, feet in cement, matador style.

timaios
02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
The Spurs could give a 10 days contract to Marcus Williams.
He's 6'7 and athletic. He seems very good.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2009, 11:42 PM
The Jam did a great job of denying Pops the ball and position in the third. Ball and player movement needs to be a lot better if they want to get back to him.

bigdog
02-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Pops had a tough 3rd quarter. hope he has a better 4th.

Edit: Nice move by Marcus Williams, and Mensah-Bonsu's jumper didn't look too bad either.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Worst defensive game by Pops I've seen. Needs a lot more work to guard perimeter big men like Nick Lewis.

bigdog
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Well that sucked. Pops played decent offensively, but he just let some guys go by him on defense.

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 03:16 AM
So is his callup iminent, or did b hear wrong?

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
The Spurs could give a 10 days contract to Marcus Williams.
He's 6'7 and athletic. He seems very good.

There's no point. It's hard enough finding minutes for Hairston.

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Bump. Has Pop called him up yet? Guess not, since I didn'tt see any threads on the 1st page.

benefactor
02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
They won't do it while they are still on the RRT. If it is going to happen it will probably happen just before the Dallas game. That way they will have 6 games to look at him...and if he gets a second 10 day it will be 11 games.

PDXSpursFan
02-20-2009, 04:05 PM
So is his callup iminent, or did b hear wrong?
The Spurs don't need another defensive liability... let him stay where he belongs... D-league. Next please.

hater
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
The Spurs don't need another defensive liability... let him stay where he belongs... D-league. Next please.

that's the problem. there's nobody else

benefactor
02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
that's the problem. there's nobody else
Don't worry, PDXSpursFan will crap us out a cheap 7 footer that blocks shots, plays D and rebounds. Heck, maybe he will throw in a little scoring.

DaDakota
02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
You guys need this guy, I wanted him on the Rockets, but he is better than any other PF you guys have not named Duncan.

DD

EricB
02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Dakota,

you think Mensah-Bonsu is better than Kurt Thomas or Bonner? huh!?!?

Bruno
02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Toros have just traded Abukar for Dwayne Jones (a solid rebounder and defender with some NBA experience).

Maybe it could be related to Spurs on the verge to call up Pops ?

tav1
02-20-2009, 06:55 PM
toros have just traded abukar for dwayne jones (a solid rebounder and defender with some nba experience).

Maybe it could be related to spurs on the verge to call up pops ?

+1

Hemotivo
02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Pops>Oberto

:lmao

Hemotivo
02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Toros have just traded Abukar for Dwayne Jones (a solid rebounder and defender with some NBA experience).

Maybe it could be related to Spurs on the verge to call up Pops ?

Dwayne Jones could help the Spurs more than Mensah-Bonsu

Bartleby
02-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Dwayne Jones could help the Spurs more than Mensah-Bonsu

Jones is a little bit bigger but Pops looks like the better player overall.

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Dakota,

you think Mensah-Bonsu is better than Kurt Thomas or Bonner? huh!?!?

You think KT is a PF? I'd classify him as a short C.

And when it comes to athleticism, potential in blocking/rebounding, Pops>>>>Bonner, Fab, and KT. I'll hod judgement tile he's had half an hour of playing time, to see if he looks like a fish out of water or not.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
You think KT is a PF? I'd classify him as a short C.

Thomas is a PF. The only reason anyone thinks of him as a center is that he plays next to Tim Duncan.

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Damn, he's one slow/short PF. The CF that is Timmy playing PF has me thinking of everyone else as a C, except for Bonner, even though he technically is one this year.

Penya
02-21-2009, 06:40 PM

http://www.basketzaragoza.net/sitio/notaint.php?id=833

Loren Woods has just signed with that team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Before acquiring 7-footer Patrick O'Bryant from the Boston Celtics, they had conducted, according to sources, workouts in Toronto with NBA veterans Antoine Walker and Pops Mensah-Bonsu, a couple of free agent big men who might have joined the team.

And even though they addressed the need for size with the addition of O'Bryant, there still is a chance they could add a veteran big man, or even a veteran shooting guard, before the end of the regular season.

If the Raptors hadn't acquired O'Bryant at the deadline, they were going to waive Will Solomon and add one of those big men, according to sources.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/591314

benefactor
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Glad they passed on him. :tu

I posted this in the other thread but it probably belongs here. Pops played today like he has something to prove.

Line - 39pts, 18reb, 3ast, 4st, 1blk, 13-23 FG, 13-16 FT

SenorSpur
02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I wonder if the Spurs are waiting to see if another big hits the streets before calling up Pops. Problem is another team could very well snatch him up - especially if he keeps having eye-popping performances like this.

Hell, not even Ian had games like this against D-League competiton.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I wonder if the Spurs are waiting to see if another big hits the streets before calling up Pops. Problem is another team could very well snatch him up - especially if he keeps having eye-popping performances like this.

Really, you think Ian is a better player, currently? I like Ian more for his size, but if he ends up being foul prone his entire career, Pops might turn out the better player for the Spurs.

Bartleby
02-22-2009, 10:11 PM

They could sign Pops as a precaution against losing him to another team and then waive him if a veteran big comes along. I'm hoping that's what they do.

stxspurs
02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
if ian and pops end up being good players the spurs could have some sick backups

Flux451
02-22-2009, 10:18 PM
sign him, give him a shot

ace3g
02-23-2009, 12:43 AM
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8323/pops.jpg

holcs50
02-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Glad they passed on him. :tu

I posted this in the other thread but it probably belongs here. Pops played today like he has something to prove.

Line - 39pts, 18reb, 3ast, 4st, 1blk, 13-23 FG, 13-16 FT

Wow i honestly dont know what they are waiting for. I mean we have an open spot now, correct? That line is ridiculous, i know its the D-league but seriously thats solid no matter what. And he's been doing that consistently so far. Hes a beast. I see absolutely no reason to not give him a shot. spurs FO we have two big guys who can barely move, and another that bomb 3s but can't D up! They will not be able to guard guys like Odom, pau or bynum in the playoffs and we will get dominated in the paint. Maybe he comes up and does bad...but you don't know maybe he comes up and is really solid and can give us some energy and rebounding. Do it!

urunobili
02-23-2009, 09:08 AM

Bruno
02-23-2009, 10:41 AM
They could sign Pops as a precaution against losing him to another team and then waive him if a veteran big comes along. I'm hoping that's what they do.

Exactly.

Today would be a good day to sign Pops.

SenorSpur
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM

I like that idea. :tu

tav1
02-23-2009, 11:18 AM
The Knicks are working out multiple D-Leaguers today. They have to open roster spots. I don't know if Mensah-Bonsu is amongst the group--I'm not sure D'Antoni would want him. It's tough to say. But Walsh may have just invited the most talented players available regardless of fit.

JoshO501
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
TEAM GB forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu may be on the verge of re-joining the NBA after a recent workout with the Toronto Raptors, according to the Toronto Star.

The former Dallas Maverick has been on fire in the NBA Development League - averaging 24.9 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.7 blocks a game for the Austin Toros.

Mensah-Bonsu's chances of playing for the Raptors may have been hurt by their trade for former Celtic big man Patrick O'Bryant but as the Star reports: "Even though they addressed the need for size with the addition of O'Bryant, there still is a chance they could add a veteran big man, or even a veteran shooting guard, before the end of the regular season."

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000332.shtml

Das Texan
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I think the Spurs were trying to get done with this roadie before signing anyone.

Hopefully we get some news today regarding Pops. I'd love to see an A-10 player on the Spurs.

pad300
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Exactly.

Today would be a good day to sign Pops.

Eh, I have a sneaking suspicion that they have already made him a promise, and therefore will wait until tomorrow (the Dallas game, to get as many games in his 10 days as possible). Remember, he has to agree to sign a 10 day contract with team X...

cool hand
02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
think Theo Ratliff......

ChumpDumper
02-23-2009, 05:51 PM
He doesn't really play great D -- I'm still for signing him though.

cool hand
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
he blocks shots and grabs all the boards.....all we need is 10/10 a night and I think that would be easy for him.

CIA Pop
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
If you cheap bastards would start buying tickets and more beer at the games maybe Holt would let me sign him to a ten day.

koriwhat
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
he blocks shots and grabs all the boards.....all we need is 10/10 a night and I think that would be easy for him.

i like how it would be "easy" for a d-league star to make the switch when it is hardly ever that "easy".

ChumpDumper
02-23-2009, 05:57 PM
he blocks shots and grabs all the boards.....all we need is 10/10 a night and I think that would be easy for him.It would be very hard for him to do that.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
all we need is 10/10 a night and I think that would be easy for him.

Clearly your knowledge of basketball rivals your ability to make political points.

cool hand
02-23-2009, 10:42 PM
08-09
aus 8 8

39.6 .608 .000 .701 4.4 8.6 13.0 2.4 1.5 2.5 4.00 4.00 26.6

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Nice!

mabrignani
02-23-2009, 11:13 PM
move him on up! what is taking so long? didnt they give those other scrubs from the toros chances with lower numbers than his?

HarlemHeat37
02-24-2009, 12:25 AM
10/10 isn't unrealistic..I mean there are only 10 guys in the NBA that do that..Duncan, Howard, Jefferson, Biedrins, Randolph, Lee, Murphy, Biedrins, Bogut, and Camby..surely Pops is as good as all of those guys..

Mr Bones
02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
No D-league big has ever gone on to average 10/10 in the NBA.

mogrovejo
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I know people are impressed by Pops athleticism and shot-blocking ability, but I've seen him playing at a higher level than the D-League and I can assure you that he's going to be a huge defensive liability for any NBA team.

SenorSpur
02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Success against D-League competition is a very good talent and skills indicator. However, rarely does that success translate into automatic or immediate success at the next level. The NBA level is THE best in the world and succeeding there is a different matter entirely.

As for Pops, it does help that he's been at the level before, so he should know what to expect. However, his journey toward success could be a long one.

Manufan909
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I know people are impressed by Pops athleticism and shot-blocking ability, but I've seen him playing at a higher level than the D-League and I can assure you that he's going to be a huge defensive liability for any NBA team.

How so? His 1-1 D blows? His help D? Please explain?

urunobili
02-24-2009, 02:47 PM
The NBA level is THE best in the world.
mmm... I'd say the Olympic tournament is THE highest level of basketball in the World... the US needed to play at its best with all their starts to defeat Spain last summer IIRC...

SenorSpur
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
mmm... I'd say the Olympic tournament is THE highest level of basketball in the World... the US needed to play at its best with all their starts to defeat Spain last summer IIRC...

I get your point and you are correct in that vein. However from a pure basketball league standpoint, the NBA has unquestionably, the greatest talent pool in the world.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM

Keep in mind that was a U.S. team that had only been together for a couple of months playing under a different set of rules than what they were accustomed to. Take any national team that competed in the Olympics (besides the U.S.) and put them through an 82 game season with NBA rules and not one of them would make the playoffs.

lurker23
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Keep in mind that was a U.S. team that had only been together for a couple of months playing under a different set of rules than what they were accustomed to. Take any national team that competed in the Olympics (besides the U.S.) and put them through an 82 game season with NBA rules and not one of them would make the playoffs.

Just my opinion, but I think the Argentinian National Team is easily better than the Sixers or Bucks.

Manufan909
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I think you're giving the NBA too much props, I think Argentina, Spain, Lithuania, and Greece could make the top 8 of the East, 2 of them if they were all in the West. And keep in mind, Spurs lose the big with the most chem with Timmy, AND Manu, the Lakers/Grizzlies lose a Gasol, Portland lose their poor mans Manu in Rudy, Rockets lose their 2nd best big in Scola, Kings lose Nocioni etc.(probably missed some, but I doubt I missed any worth a crap).

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Just my opinion, but I think the Argentinian National Team is easily better than the Sixers or Bucks.

On a given day, yeah the ANT could beat either of them. But over an 82 game season? No way. It takes more than 4 or 5 guys good enough to play in the NBA to make the playoffs.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I think you're giving the NBA too much props, I think Argentina, Spain, Lithuania, and Greece could make the top 8 of the East, 2 of them if they were all in the West. And keep in mind, Spurs lose the big with the most chem with Timmy, AND Manu, the Lakers/Grizzlies lose a Gasol, Portland lose their poor mans Manu in Rudy, Rockets lose their 2nd best big in Scola, Kings lose Nocioni etc.(probably missed some, but I doubt I missed any worth a crap).

Find me a national team that has at least 10 guys on NBA rosters and then we might be able to have a discussion. At least 2 or 3 of those guys need to be good enough to get mention as potential all-stars.

Spain would be about as good a team as anyone could field. A starting 5 of the Gasols, Calderon and Fernandez would be NBA caliber. But that team would still have no depth whatsoever and you can't play an entire starting five 40+ minutes a night for 82 games.

tav1
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
It would be very hard for him to do that.

I'm laughing at this exchange because I was just talking to a friend who thought I was crazy for wanting 4 points, 3 rebounds and lots of energy in 15 minutes from Pops. Had he heard of 10 and 10 hopes, there would be no end to the derision.

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm laughing at this exchange because I was just talking to a friend who thought I was crazy for wanting 4 points, 3 rebounds and lots of energy in 15 minutes from Pops. Had he heard of 10 and 10 hopes, there would be no end to the derision.

yeah no shit! hahaha.

some people... :lol

The Truth #6
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
His D might really be awful. Perhaps that explains the lack of action of any team calling him up. Still, we need rebounding bad. We gave the ghost of Austin Croshere a 10 day contract. We need to give someone a chance.

What's the point of the Toros if we don't use it bring up promising players that could potentially help the Spurs?

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
What's the point of the Toros if we don't use it bring up promising players that could potentially help the Spurs?

i'm in total agreement... i wanna see what this kid has on the nba level. if nothing else he would be worth a look.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
The Spurs are going to wait and see if someone who might be able to help in the 2009 playoffs gets bought out somewhere first. If no one they like becomes available, then they can go the d-league route and start trying out guys for next year.

ace3g
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Pops is not playing tonight...so maybe the spurs called him up

Bruno
02-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Pops is not playing tonight...so maybe the spurs called him up

Yes, Spurs have signed him today.

ace3g
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
is he at the game today against the Mavs, maybe he will get a few mintues

Spurs Brazil
02-24-2009, 08:59 PM

That's good news but at the same time I'm worried about TD

duncan228
02-24-2009, 09:00 PM

Nice.

Bruno
02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
BTW, link to the info :

http://colonialhoops.blogspot.com/2009/02/pops-signed-by-spurs.html

Pops not playing with Toros today seems to confirm this info

duncan228
02-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks Bruno.

Bruno
02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
:toast

pad300
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Eh, I have a sneaking suspicion that they have already made him a promise, and therefore will wait until tomorrow (the Dallas game, to get as many games in his 10 days as possible). Remember, he has to agree to sign a 10 day contract with team X...

BTW, link to the info :

http://colonialhoops.blogspot.com/20...-by-spurs.html

Pops not playing with Toros today seems to confirm this info

Called it!