PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill 2/10: Pistons focus on their future, Warriors want Amare too

layupdrill
02-10-2009, 05:52 AM
The Detroit Pistons seem to be focusing on landing Amare Stoudemire via a trade, or waiting until next summer to go after Chris Bosh and either Dwayne Wade or Lebron James. While there is no guarantee if they clear cap space next season either Wade, James, or Bosh would sign with Detroit, they may be able to lure Stoudemire from Phoenix. The combination of Rasheed Wallace, Amir Johnson, and a first round pick could get the Pistons in the running, though the market for Amare seems to grow daily. The Golden State Warriors are said to also be leaders in the mix, offering a combination of Andreis Biedrins and Monta Ellis.

The Warriors have a number of players that could be expendable and attractive to Phoenix, including point guard Marcus Williams and forward Anthony Randolph as well. Both Williams and Randolph fell out of favor with coach Don Nelson, though they could flourish in a new enviroment.
Speaking of Golden State, one of Allen Iverson’s potential suitors when he becomes a free agent this summer could include Don Nelson’s Warriors. Among teams that may be intrigued to sign The Answer include Dallas, Golden State, Charlotte, and Atlanta. A return to Philadelphia is not out of question, but not expected.

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1234258351249000.xml&coll=2) is reporting this morning another contender has officially stated they are standing pat and not making any moves. The Cavaliers, who had been rumored to shopping Wally Szczerbiak for a while now, will keep their core in tact, partly due to the fact that the injury of Sasha Pavlovic.

The defending champs also seem to be themselves out of the trade rumors lately. GM Danny Ainge spoke with the Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2009_02_10_Danny_Ainge:_Celtics_no_need_to_make_mo ves/) yesterday, and acknowledged there is nothing imminent going on with his team, and that, barring the unlikely release of Stephon Marbury before March 1st, Boston will stick with what they have.

Finally, as ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3894649) initally reported yesterday, you can expect to see Charles Barkley back on the NBA on TNT broadcasts after the All-Star break. Barkley had been taken off the air after his arrest for DUI in January.

http://layupdrill.com/2009/02/pistons-begin-to-focus-on-bosh-and-amare/

Vinnie_Johnson
02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Amar'e Watch Day 2 : The Amar'e Stoudemire trade rumors continue to heat up with the first wave of reactions coming out of Phoenix. Stoudemire held court last night in Philadelphia telling reporters that in his mind it was inevitable that he'd be the guy traded, but said if he was not traded he'd continue to give the team his all. Stoudemire said after meetings with management last week, he felt the decision to make changes was more about economics and financial decisions. Here is where some things stand today:

Miami and New Jersey Are Out: The Miami HEAT and the New Jersey Nets seem to be out of the running for Stoudemire. The HEAT's offer was said to include sending Shawn Marion's ending deal and Michael Beasley along with a future first round draft pick, but the deal would have required Phoenix to send as many as four other players to Miami to make the deal work under the cap. The Suns also did not view Marion or Beasley as guys that can insure home court, taking the HEAT out of the race. The Nets offer was said to include the ending contract of Stromile Swift along with Yi Jianlian, Ryan Anderson and a first round draft pick. Again, not enough talent to insure home court in April for the Suns. Both teams' offers are still on the table according to a source familiar with the talks, meaning should other talks fall through the Suns always have the option of coming back, but the odds the HEAT or Nets land Amar'e looks pretty slim today.

Chicago The Front Runner: The Chicago Bulls might have the pieces for a deal, it now comes down does Chicago really want to make a deal? Sources near the Bulls said they are still not sold that landing Amar'e makes them a better basketball team now or in the future. It seems some of the waffling revolves around Tyrus Thomas who over the past week has averaged better than 15 points per game, and has a double-double or close to it, in his last 7 games. The Bulls' discussions for Stoudemire are said to include Thabo Sefolosha, the ending contracts of Drew Gooden and Cedric Simmons and Thomas. It seems that this may be the deal that gets it done from Phoenix's point of view, but Bulls sources said neither Bulls' GM John Paxson or Vinny Del Negro have agreed that this deal works for the Bulls. The belief is this thing will not get resolved before the All-Star break, and that the Bulls want to "sleep on it" for a few days.

Golden State Pushing Hard: The Golden State Warriors made it known they wanted in on the Stoudemire talks, but sources close to the situation said the Suns have no interest in the pieces the Warriors have to offer. Any deal with Golden State would have involved the Base-Year Compensation deals of either Monta Ellis or Andris Biedrins and that in itself does not create luxury tax breathing room going forward. It does provide some interesting options for the Suns, but the amount of talent other offers brings to Phoenix makes a deal through Golden State highly unlikely, despite the Warriors' desire to get involved. If the Warriors are really putting Biedrins on the market, they may find an interested suitor - but considering he's out until after the All-Star break some teams might wants to see him healthy before pulling the trigger on a deal. Expect to hear more about the Warriors in the trade market, but do not expect the Warriors to land Stoudemire.

Detroit In The Mix: The Pistons are in the mix for Stoudemire, their offer is said to be built around the ending contract of Rasheed Wallace and likely Amir Johnson. Much like the Bulls reported offer, this deal does give the Suns what they said they wanted, and that's future flexibility and enough talent to compete for homecourt. Say what you will about Rasheed Wallace the person, Rasheed Wallace the player could bring the grit and toughness defensively the Suns are missing, and Amir Johnson is an exceptional future talent. Terry Porter's familiarity with Wallace certainly would make the transition easier. If the Pistons put a first round draft pick in the mix, that might be the best deal for the Suns' defined goals of flexibility and a first round playoff berth this season. Can the Suns squeeze a little more talent out of the deal remains to be seen. Pistons sources said Joe Dumars is not really engaging in talks about possible deals around the team, but the source said Joe tends not to be chatty when he's working on a deal.

Toronto Doesn't Have The Chips: The Raptors were rumored to have made a pass at the Suns regarding Stoudemire, but league sources said the Raptors simply do not have the chips to make a deal, unless they decided to move Chris Bosh, which sources close to the situation said is not going to happen. The Raptors are being aggressive in trying to find a deal before the February 19th trade deadline, it just does not look like it will be for Stoudemire.

The Suns are not in any hurry to make a deal, according to sources close to the talks. The belief is the Suns will work this thing to the deadline before making a decision, and there is still a strong belief that if the right deal does not present itself, the Suns will hold the line rather than sell off their best asset for less than the value they feel he should return. Keep in mind the Suns played this game with Shawn Marion for the better part of two years as well.

DaDakota
02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Houston? I thought we were in the running.

DD

layupdrill
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
ESPN is reporting today (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3897431) that the Indiana Pacers have entered serious discussions regarding acquiring point guard Raymond Felton from the Bobcats for veteran Jamaal Tinsley. The multi-player deal would also include role players Jeff Foster and potentially Brandon Rush or Marquis Daniels to Charlotte for Raymond Felton, Nazr Mohammed and Sean May. Tinsley, who has been subject to trade rumors the entire season, has 2 years and over $14 million dollars remaining on his deal.
The Toronto Raptors announced today that Forward/Center Chris Bosh will miss the NBA All Star game due to a sprained right knee. The NBA announced that Mo Williams will take Bosh’s place. Lebron James had openly campaigned for Williams to be on the team for weeks, and the league finally listened.
In other news, the San Francisco Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/09/SP1315Q7S9.DTL) reports today that the Golden State Warriors have dismissed any rumors regarding talks about trading for Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudemire.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-11-2009, 12:29 AM
When is the trade deadline?

layupdrill
02-11-2009, 06:26 AM
2/19 at 3pm est

Chieflion
02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Blazers reportedly wanted Amare Stoudamire.

Expected offer to be Raef Lafrentz 12 million expiring (insurance granted this year)
Lamarcus Aldridge
Jerryd Bayless since Tragic is well Tragic.
2nd round picks or the rights to Freeland (British big man)taken in the 2006 draft with the 30th pick.

lurker
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't really understand why Portland would want to do that trade, but I'd take it in a heartbeat if I was Phoenix.

Chieflion
02-11-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't really understand why Portland would want to do that trade, but I'd take it in a heartbeat if I was Phoenix.
Sorry if I did not explain it correctly, it is either

Lamarcus Aldridge + Raef Lafrentz for Stoudamire
OR
Jerryd Bayless + Raef Lafrentz+ (2nd round 2009 or 10 pick or Freeland)

Ya, if I were the Suns, I would still take that and run.

pauls931
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
This trade talks sucks, mostly because I keep hearing 'expiring contracts' meaning that the suns may shop for the best deal financially and not for the best deal bball wise. My gut is telling me anything they get will be a downgrade despite how bad amare may be on D.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Stoudemire held court last night in Philadelphia telling reporters that in his mind it was inevitable that he'd be the guy traded, but said if he was not traded he'd continue to give the team his all.

I don't understand how he can "continue" to give the Suns his all when he never has in his entire career.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
This trade talks sucks, mostly because I keep hearing 'expiring contracts' meaning that the suns may shop for the best deal financially and not for the best deal bball wise. My gut is telling me anything they get will be a downgrade despite how bad amare may be on D.

I agree. This is nothing but a Sarver smokescreen/excuse to cut payroll and increase his net profit. Scumbag piece of shit that guy is.