PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Sore Shoulder Could Halt Mason

duncan228
02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Sore shoulder could halt Mason (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Jeff McDonald

NEW YORK -- The leaning 3-pointer Roger Mason Jr. made to beat the Celtics on Sunday was even more impressive than previously thought. Turns out, Mason played the entire second half of that game with a severely sore shooting shoulder.

Mason said he bruised his right shoulder in the first half against the Celtics, on the losing end of a hard pick set by Kendrick Perkins, Boston's 6-foot-10, 280-pound center.

"I took some painkillers during the game," Mason said. "But I still felt it."

The Spurs are calling Mason's availability for tonight's game against the Nets a game-time decision. Mason did not participate in shootaround this morning, typically a sign a player will not play.

EricB
02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
son of a bitch....

That sucks.

Hope the pain goes away, but if I were Pop I'd tell him to consider sitting out the 3 pt shootout.

Bandwagon Spurs Fan
02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
=(

Spurs Brazil
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Bad news

If he can't play I'd like to see Bruce starting to guard Carter

ElNono
02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Perkins with a hard and probably illegal pick? Say it ain't so!

Kamnik
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
a good thing from that may be more minutes for Hill... and some deserved rest for Mason

Rynospursfan
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Is Carter going to play?

duncan228
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Is Carter going to play?

New Jersey Nets' Vince Carter gets treatment on elbow, likely to play Tuesday against San Antonio

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116485

MoSpur
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
What if this is a fake injury just to make sure Mason really doesn't get hurt so that the Spurs could trade him to the nets???

:stirpot:

EricB
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd say the guy who might get minutes is Malik Hairston. Doubt the Spurs go with Parker and Hill in the backcourt vs Carter and Harris.

Steve-O-Matic
I've got a bad feeling about these next two games.

koriwhat
What if this is a fake injury just to make sure Mason really doesn't get hurt so that the Spurs could trade him to the nets???

:stirpot:

ma$on's are man! we ain't tradin' him for no washed up carter. no way in hell! those rumors will die rumors.

EricB
02-10-2009, 01:47 PM

:lol

Whatever.

EricB
02-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Whats funny is everyone is freaking out about the Nets.

The Nets are worse at home than they are on the road.

The Raptors are one of the worst teams in basketball as well.

DAF86
02-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Whatever.

What you just did is very dangerous.

benefactor
02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
He can rest these two games then he will have the ASB. If he has any soreness at all I doubt he will be in the 3pt shootout. Maybe Bonner takes his place. :stirpot:

EricB
02-10-2009, 01:55 PM
What you just did is very dangerous.

Yeah I'm suprised the DOHS hasn't come down on me.

EricB
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
He can rest these two games then he will have the ASB. If he has any soreness at all I doubt he will be in the 3pt shootout. Maybe Bonner takes his place. :stirpot:

They'll replace him with Vujacic probobly.

I'm shocked the NBA left a Laker out of the 3pt shootout.

Baseline
02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
If Mason is out for this game, it could work in our favor. Bowen needs to take over Finley's minutes from here on out. Finley is killing us.

I seriously don't see why Finley should be on the floor unless people are injured. He brings us nothing. He hits a three about once every three games, and other than that he does noithing but blow defensive assignments and miss long jumpers which ignite the opponents' fast breaks. There are 500 guys at the Y who could do that for us.

His obsession with Finley is Pop's most glaring deficiency. Problem is, it was the same thing last year and he still hasn't learned.

The idiotic thing is that Mason should have replaced Finley, not Bowen. Bowen is fine - there's nothing wrong with him at all.

EricB
02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
If Mason is out for this game, it could work in our favor. Bowen needs to take over Finley's minutes from here on out. Finley is killing us.

I seriously don't see why Finley should be on the floor unless people are injured. He brings us nothing. He hits a three about once every three games, and other than that he does noithing but blow defensive assignments and miss long jumpers which ignite the opponents' fast breaks. There are 500 guys at the Y who could do that for us.

His obsession with Finley is Pop's most glaring deficiency. Problem is, it was the same thing last year and he still hasn't learned.

The idiotic thing is that Mason should have replaced Finley, not Bowen. Bowen is fine - there's nothing wrong with him at all.

Spoken like a guy that hasn't watched 1 minute of this team all season long.

SpursFan0728
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Don't see any wrong with his statment. Finely appears once every five games and we all know that pop has a man-crush with Finely.

I would like to see Bowen more with Finely mins although I doubt pop will play Bowen much until PO

:flag:

EricB
02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Don't see any wrong with his statment. Finely appears once every five games and we all know that pop has a man-crush with Finely.

I would like to see Bowen more with Finely mins although I doubt pop will play Bowen much until PO

:flag:

Again, spoken like someone that hasn't watched one freaking game this whole season.

Baseline
02-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Oh really? What games are you watching? All those where Finley is actually contributing something other than missing 60% of his shots?

If you dosagree with my opinion and have a point to make to the contrary, then I'd love to hear it.

SpursFan0728
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Again, spoken like someone that hasn't watched one freaking game this whole season.

So what are your thoughts? You rather see Finely on the floor than Bowen?

ps. I watched almost every game this season.

EricB
02-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh really? What games are you watching? All those where Finley is actually contributing something other than missing 60% of his shots?

If you dosagree with my opinion and have a point to make to the contrary, then I'd love to hear it.

Yes the games where he is rebounding well, defending as best he can, and shooting well. Wich has been a majority of this season.

But continue with the rationless Finley hate, its the in thing now that Beno is gone.

EricB
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
So what are your thoughts? You rather see Finely on the floor than Bowen?

ps. I watched almost every game this season.

If you had, then you would have a different opinion.

As for the first part, it depends on how both are playing on that given night and who the match up is.

SpursFan0728
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Yes the games where he is rebounding well, defending as best he can, and shooting well. Wich has been a majority of this season.

But continue with the rationless Finley hate, its the in thing now that Beno is gone.

Yes I agree there are some games where he is rebouding well. But pop put him in to provide offense. Dude is under 40% in his past 10 games.
Finely defending his best<Bowen Defense. So why not play Bowen more?

bigdog
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM

so you're saying that shooting 43% from the field is bad? he's also almost shooting 40% from 3, which isn't bad either. Finley is shooting 82% at the FT line, compared to 40-something percent Bowen is shooting. If you haven't noticed, Finley is having a solid year. I'd like to see Bowen come off of those screens and make the midrange jumpers that Finley makes. Bowen can only shoot the 3 from the corner, while Finley can shoot it from anywhere.

I admit that Finley is streaky, but alot of the times his offense makes up for some of his defensive mistakes.

It also seems that his defense this year is better than it's been since he came to the Spurs. It's not stellar, but it's much better.

EricB
02-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes I agree there are some games where he is rebouding well. But pop put him in to provide offense. Dude is shooting 36% in his past 10 games.
Finely defending his best<Bowen Defense. So why not play Bowen more?

Because hes shot even more horrible than Finley?

You want to credit some of the turnaround in Golden State to someone? Look at Finley. His three pointer lead the charge.

Finley also as Solid D mentioned in the game Blog, defended Pierce at times well forcing him to his left hand.

He has not been as bad as you people think he has been.

EricB
02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
so you're saying that shooting 43% from the field is bad? he's also almost shooting 40% from 3, which isn't bad either. Finley is shooting 82% at the FT line, compared to 40-something percent Bowen is shooting. If you haven't noticed, Finley is having a solid year. I'd like to see Bowen come off of those screens and make the midrange jumpers that Finley makes. Bowen can only shoot the 3 from the corner, while Finley can shoot it from anywhere.

I admit that Finley is streaky, but alot of the times his offense makes up for some of his defensive mistakes.

It also seems that his defense this year is better than it's been since he came to the Spurs. It's not stellar, but it's much better.

I'm gonna say alot of nights Finley is off is Pop's fault.

hear me out.

If you want to get Finley going, you get him on a roll shooting wise.

How do you do that? Run that pick and curl at the top for him about 3 or 4 times. He's probobly missed that shot 5% of the times hes taken it this year. That shot for him is MONEY.

If Pop would run that play a bit at the beginning of the first quarters of games, Finley's shooting would get MUCH better.

SpursFan0728
02-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Feb 08 @ BOS W 105 - 99 27 1 - 4 0 - 1 5 - 6 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 1 7
Feb 02 @ GSW W 110 - 105 36 2 - 6 1 - 3 0 - 0 1 4 5 1 0 0 0 0 5
Jan 31 vs. NOH W 106 - 93 35 8 - 10 4 - 5 0 - 0 0 6 6 1 0 0 2 1 20
Jan 29 @ PHX W 114 - 104 20 2 - 5 2 - 5 0 - 0 0 3 3 2 0 0 0 2 6
Jan 27 @ UTA W 106 - 100 24 0 - 4 0 - 1 0 - 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Jan 25 @ LAL L 85 - 99 24 3 - 8 2 - 2 0 - 0 0 2 2 2 0 0 0 2 8

I am not denying the fact that Finely can hit some clutch shots and have improve in defense in this season. However, if you look at how he perform in his last 5-6 games aganist good teams, it doesn't look too pretty. If hes producing those kind of numbers, I much rather see Bowen eating some of his minutes for more defensive purpose.

urunobili
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
a lack of respect attack for Fin from the usual haters... this has been his best year as a Spur...

SpursFan0728
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
a lack of respect attack for Fin from the usual haters... this has been his best year as a Spur...

I don't think people are attacking Fin. Just that some fans like me would want to see Bowen playing a few more mins.

DMX7
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, I think I'm underreacting; therefore...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

bigdog
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm gonna say alot of nights Finley is off is Pop's fault.

hear me out.

If you want to get Finley going, you get him on a roll shooting wise.

How do you do that? Run that pick and curl at the top for him about 3 or 4 times. He's probobly missed that shot 5% of the times hes taken it this year. That shot for him is MONEY.

If Pop would run that play a bit at the beginning of the first quarters of games, Finley's shooting would get MUCH better.

Exactly. I don't think it's Finley's fault he has some bad games. He is at his best when he gets his offense going early. If he does that, he gets into a groove and can probably put up around 15 to 18 points a game easily. He isn't a ball handler, so his shots come because of penetration, or when he comes off of those picks and gets those midrange shots at the elbow or free throw line. He will make that shot 90 percent of the time.

SenorSpur
02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Mason's injury would yield more minutes for Udoka and possibly even Hairston. I think Bowen will be called upon regardless, to slow down Carter.

timvp
02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
The Spurs should be extra careful with RMJ's right shoulder. He hurt that shoulder in his rookie season and missed 55 games. Holding him out until after the ASB makes sense, even if it's just a bruise.

EricB
02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
The Spurs should be extra careful with RMJ's right shoulder. He hurt that shoulder in his rookie season and missed 55 games. Holding him out until after the ASB makes sense, even if it's just a bruise.

Agreed. :tu

I would shut him down till probobly the Detroit game.

Supergirl
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
mother f*cker. I could tell that pick by Perkins was dirty when I watched it. He was getting away with all sorts of shit all game.

But since it's apparently OK for guys to wind up with punctured lungs, clearly the NBA can't draw a line and say injuring Mason's shoulder is, oh I don't know, a FLAGRANT FOUL?

SenorSpur
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Agreed. The Spurs shouldn't even need Mason against the Nets and Raptors.

timvp
02-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Whatever.?

I think these are going to be a tough couple of games. The Spurs are coming down from an emotional high and they'll be playing a couple of teams that like to push the pace. Dangerous games, especially if Mason can't go.

Tully365
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM

5%, huh?

lefty
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
It's KG's fault !!!!!

hater
02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Perkins is an asshole

Tully365
02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Mason said he bruised his right shoulder in the first half against the Celtics, on the losing end of a hard pick set by Kendrick Perkins, Boston's 6-foot-10, 280-pound center.

This surprises me-- taking painkillers and continuing to play is a good way to injure the shoulder much more severely, as you wouldn't necessarily feel the injury worsening due to the pills.

Harry Callahan
02-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Boston could have been called for ten illegal (moving) screens the last game. A lot of extra stuff was going on out there with Perkins and the fat ass from LSU.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree with those wanting to sit him out..

we shouldn't need him vs. NJ and Toronto anyways, especially not the Raptors, who are playing horribly at the moment..no need for risks..

hopefully more Hairston, which I expected either way after his last performance..he obviously wasn't going to get in vs. Boston, but he should in the next 2 games..

EricB
02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
?

I think these are going to be a tough couple of games. The Spurs are coming down from an emotional high and they'll be playing a couple of teams that like to push the pace. Dangerous games, especially if Mason can't go.

Toronto is one of the worst teams in the league and should be spanked accordingly.

New Jersey is not as good at home as they are on the road and are a mediocre team.

They SHOULD win both.

EricB
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
5%, huh?

That specific shot that curl at the top of the key, yes.

wildbill2u
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Sore shoulder could halt Mason (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Jeff McDonald

NEW YORK -- The leaning 3-pointer Roger Mason Jr. made to beat the Celtics on Sunday was even more impressive than previously thought. Turns out, Mason played the entire second half of that game with a severely sore shooting shoulder.

The Spurs are calling Mason's availability for tonight's game against the Nets a game-time decision. Mason did not participate in shootaround this morning, typically a sign a player will not play.

I mentioned in another thread that the Celtics were playing extremely physical and I didn't even know about this.

It's reported that they apparently think they can intimidate the rest of the league--including Lakers and Spurs in the West--with bruising defense.

I know Perkins was setting some hellacious moving picks and didn't some Spur get an elbow in the chest or something?.

duncan228
02-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Update.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116588

Mason will play vs. Nets (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/mason-will-play.html)
By Jeff McDonald

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- After a fairly vigorous pre-game workout, Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. says he feels well enough to play against the Nets tonight.

Mason suffered a bruised shoulder in the Spurs' last game, a victory at Boston on Sunday.

"After shootaround this morning, I didn't think I was going to be able to play," Mason said before the game. "It feels much better now."