PDA

View Full Version : Tejada charged with lying to congress about steroids

ATRAIN
02-10-2009, 02:09 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Miguel Tejada has been charged with lying to Congress about steroids.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/10/tejada.charged.ap/index.html

:bang

florige
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Miguel Tejada has been charged with lying to Congress about steroids.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/10/tejada.charged.ap/index.html

:bang

:lol Boy I'm glad we got rid of that guy.

ATRAIN
02-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Well he did it on your clock fucker!!!

K-State Spur
02-10-2009, 11:42 PM

No shit. I thought we'd have to give him away, yet we come up with Scott, Patton, and Albers out of the deal. (I don't expect Sarfate to make the squad this year.)

Trainwreck2100
02-11-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't mind that he didnt rat out a teammate

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 08:27 AM
No shit. I thought we'd have to give him away, yet we come up with Scott, Patton, and Albers out of the deal. (I don't expect Sarfate to make the squad this year.)

Yeah I want Patton and Scott back lol.

florige
02-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Well he did it on your clock fucker!!!

Actually that happened while he was still in Oakland.

Yeah we totally made out on that deal. I'm really excited about our outfield this year. We have alot of options.

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Actually that happened while he was still in Oakland.

Yeah they talked about it more later, turns out he is not being charged for lying about taking the roids but for lying about his teamate taking them. They said he will plea guilty and prob not see jail time which is good. Yeah like TW said, he didnt rat out his teammate which I respect. He didnt pull a Canseco.

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
ok now they are saying he can face up to a year in jail.

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
or maybe not, hopefully not

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6257496.html

Tejada likely to avoid jail
With plea bargain expected to resolve lying case, Cooper believes ‘I’ll have my shortstop’

While at least one of Miguel Tejada’s teammates threw his support behind the embattled former All-Star shortstop, manager Cecil Cooper was holding out hope Tejada won’t be facing jail time.

“Sounds like I’ll have my shortstop,” said Cooper, who was still sorting through the facts of the latest developments in Tejada’s legal saga Tuesday night.

Tejada, who was caught last year lying about his age, has been charged with lying to Congress about steroids and is scheduled to appear in court today in Washington. He’s expected to enter a guilty plea.

The 2002 American League Most Valuable Player could face as much as a year in jail if convicted of the misdemeanor charge of making misrepresentations to Congress, but he likely will receive a lighter sentence under his plea deal.

“He’s a teammate of ours, and we’ll stand behind him,” Astros righthander Roy Oswalt said. “I think it’s good these guys are coming out and telling the truth and not trying to hide it anymore.”

Oswalt is referring to New York Yankees shortstop Alex Rodriguez, who admitted Monday he had used performance-enhancing drugs after Sports Illustrated reported he was one of 104 players to test positive for steroids in 2003.
Wasn’t under oath

Tejada is charged with lying to investigators for the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in 2005. But he wasn’t under oath when questioned about his knowledge of an ex-teammate’s use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Astros general manager Ed Wade, who traded for Tejada the day before the shortstop’s name was revealed as being liked to steroid use in the Mitchell Report in 2007, deferred all questions concerning Tejada to today’s news conference at Minute Maid Park.

Considering it’s unlikely Tejada will face jail time, Cooper is eager for Tejada to put his legal problems behind him and focus on the 2009 season — his second with the Astros.

“I can’t worry about the legal process,” Cooper said. “That’s between Miguel and the legal process. I will have my shortstop for the season, and that’s been my hope all along.”

Oswalt said Tejada is one of the best teammates he has had with the Astros.

“He’s a great guy to have in the clubhouse,” Oswalt said. “He’s always happy and loves to play the game. He doesn’t let failure bother him or act differently off the field. He’s been a winner since he’s been here.”

Tejada, 35, hit .283 last year with 13 homers and 66 RBIs in 158 games for the Astros — his lowest total in all three categories in nearly a decade. He hit only three homers after the All-Star break.
Guilt by association

Oswalt, meanwhile, echoed what teammate Lance Berkman said a day earlier in that he wishes the names of all the players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003 would be revealed.

“Now we’re under the assumption everybody in the big leagues is on them and that’s not fair to us, the people that have never done them before,” Oswalt said. “We’re guilty just by being in the big leagues, and I don’t think it’s fair to the other guys that did it naturally, that went out there and used their own talent.”

TheProfessor
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
If he's pleading guilty, he won't face jail time. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros skimmed his contract to try and void it...

ClingingMars
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM

too bad there went any interest in the O's. god baseball in this state sucks, the O's bought out the Norfolk Tides and now the games are boring :depressed

Dr. Gonzo
02-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Fuck Tejada.

He is a liar. He lied about this and he lied about his age. I wish the Astros can get some takers for him but it's doubtful. I'd rather have a young scrub at short than this bastard.