PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni admits mistake in Portland/New York game

sonic21
02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix106030577feb10,0,743982.story

Mike D'Antoni came clean after Sunday's buzzer-beating loss in Portland. He admitted to his players on the team charter that on the final play, when Brandon Roy scored on a driving finger roll to give the Trail Blazers a 109-108 victory, he did not know the Knicks had a foul to give.

The Knicks had not yet used their first foul in the final two minutes, which results in a non-shooting situation. The ball was inbounded with 4.3 seconds left; as most teams do, D'Antoni could have instructed Jared Jeffries to grab Roy the second he caught the ball just to kill some precious time. But no such orders were given in the 20-second timeout D'Antoni called before the inbounds play.

"I told [the players] that one is my responsibility," he said. "I lost one, they've lost 28."

lurker
02-10-2009, 02:55 PM
"I told [the players] that one is my responsibility," he said. "I lost one, they've lost 28."
lol. That was a good one, D'Antoni.

sook
02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
reminds me of when Manu waltzed in for that layup in the playoffs last yr :lol

Thompson
02-10-2009, 05:08 PM
That Manu layup in the playoffs was the result of D'Antoni having his offensive guys in to try to tie the game with a 3. When Pop didn't call a timeout, it prevented D'Antoni from rotating in his larger defensive players, and Manu waltzed in for a layup. I remember reading some of the fan meltdowns in Suns' forums about how Pop was simply a superior coach, and the Suns needed to fire D'Antoni.

Funny thing is, as bad as D'Antoni was, if you go to the same forums now you'll find a multitude of posts about how bad Porter is, and how if only they'd kept D'Antoni they'd be doing well right now.

iggypop123
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
that was pretty stupid. the lakers used their foul to give against the celtics

IronMexican
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
What a prick thing to say there at the end.

m33p0
02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Funny thing is, as bad as D'Antoni was, if you go to the same forums now you'll find a multitude of posts about how bad Porter is, and how if only they'd kept D'Antoni they'd be doing well right now.
which is most likely be the case. jason richardson is a d'antoni wet dream come to life.