PDA

View Full Version : What the hail?

Kori Ellis
02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
It's hailing at our house. What the hell? I haven't watched the weather forecast.. was this expected in SA tonight?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Dry line moving through the area at about 60 mph.

mrcoon29
02-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Seriously?? *going outside to check weather on my side of town!*

PM5K
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Same thing here at about the same time, it passed pretty quickly though, probably about five minutes worth of gum ball sized hail.

Where the fuck is Manny?

mookie2001
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
i don't know what it is but when manny hears lightning, he wants more!

mrcoon29
02-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Breaking into my TV show to show Kori's hail!

Ginofan
02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
It was hitting our windows so hard I thought they might crack, but they are holding strong right now. Here's a view from the front window by our door.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5776/cimg1177re9.jpg

desflood
02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Big-time hail over here at Ingram Mall. Saved some for the kids to look at in the morning.

Frenzy
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
dime size here 410 n 151. no biggie

MannyIsGod
02-10-2009, 10:35 PM
i don't know what it is but when manny hears lightning, he wants more!

LOL

I went outside to watch as the storms came in - got quarter size here. February storms of this nature always produce hail since its colder in the atmosphere.

The eastside might get bigger hail though because the updraft will have kept them up there for longer. The storms blew up over the westside pretty fast on the dry line. The air is so damn humid it didn't take much of a trigger at all.

BlackSwordsMan
02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
awesome just hailed here with some crazy ass wind
on the NW side

Cry Havoc
02-10-2009, 10:48 PM
In central Illinois we had recorded temperatures of 68 degrees today. You'll see a lot of hail with these kind of powerful weather systems. As the aggressive frontal boundary brings warm air into contact with cold air, you will see cold temperatures high in the atmosphere, as Manny said. As the systems collide, the warm air provides enough thermal energy to push moisture high into the atmosphere. This moisture condenses further, and then freezes, falling back to Earth when the updrafts are no longer able to keep them aloft.

mouse
02-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Millions of Dollars spent on all these new weather gizmos and we have to rely on the sound of crackling windows to know it's hailing outside? We had quarter size hail here at the Medical center.

I wonder if the car lots will have a hail damage sale?

mrcoon29
02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
just passed through Schertz with a bang and heavy rains..had to sit with the kitties on the back porch as they were a bit tense! LOL

MannyIsGod
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Millions of Dollars spent on all these new weather gizmos and we have to rely on the sound of crackling windows to know it's hailing outside? We had quarter size hail here at the Medical center.

What weather gizmos?

Cry Havoc
02-10-2009, 11:01 PM

Hail is difficult to predict at times because it requires very strong updrafts in the atmosphere to produce any sizable hail. It is not always easy to pick the spot in a system where hail will develop, especially if it is fast moving.

timvp
02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
^^This is like the perfect storm forming. A level five hurricane merging in with a level four annular hurricane. It could get good.

:hungry:

Cry Havoc
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
^^This is like the perfect storm forming. A level five hurricane merging in with a level four annular hurricane. It could get good.

:hungry:

Yes.

THEY'RE IN THE BEAR CAGE!!!!!!!!

mouse
02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Hail is difficult to predict at times because it requires very strong updrafts in the atmosphere to produce any sizable hail. It is not always easy to pick the spot in a system where hail will develop, especially if it is fast moving.

Then how come all the towns before SA reported hail and all the area east of the medical center got hail after we did? How hard is it to say hail is reported in Brandea and is headed towards San Antonio?

I was able to call my girlfriend 10 minutes before the hail reached her on 410 and Broadway and I don't even own a satellite dish or is related to Manny.

face it that fat fuck that looks like Fred Flintstones on KSAT is to busy checking his face book page when he should have been warning us.

Oh wait, they only break into TV when it's Spurs playoff game I forgot.

FreeMason
02-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I believe the thermonuclear energy perforating through the upper layer of the stratosphere at an approximate 48 degree angle in addition to the hyperconducitvity of the nitrogen levels in this humidity have caused drastic levels of quarter sized hail in the lower parts of South Texas.

Remain indoors.

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2009, 11:15 PM
sorry fellas, my friends at the climate change facility press the wrong button..instead of raining in that area, we decided to make it hail......

Alex Jones
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Millions of Dollars spent on all these new weather gizmos and we have to rely on the sound of crackling windows to know it's hailing outside?

They can't tell you hail is coming but they sure know who you called, what you said, and where you goggled today!

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Then how come all the towns before SA reported hail and all the area east of the medical center got hail after we did? How hard is it to say hail is reported in Brandea and is headed towards San Antonio?

I was able to call my girlfriend 10 minutes before the hail reached her on 410 and Broadway and I don't even own a satellite dish or is related to Manny.

face it that fat fuck that looks like Fred Flintstones on KSAT is to busy checking his face book page when he should have been warning us.

Far be it for me to defend the weather guys, but we broke in at about 9:14 p.m., so no.

EricB
02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Try working out in the open and having that storm sneak up on you like it did tonight.

That was a bitch....

ashbeeigh
02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
:madrun I left my sunroof open. I completely forgot until my dad came in and said, "Hey, you left your sunroof tilted open..." :lmao

I've had my car for about a year and a half, I'm lucky it's the first time it's happened.

mrsmaalox
02-10-2009, 11:44 PM
We had a mix of sizes here in Stone Oak: pea size, gumball size, and a few golf ball sized. My garage is currently occupied, so my car is out. I'm afraid to go check on it :(

Cry Havoc
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM

Eh, I agree with you there. Weathermen suck. A lot of weathermen you see on TV have a "broadcast meteorology" degree, which does not mean they know a lot about the weather. On the other hand, perhaps the entire station is at fault. I dunno.

Kori Ellis
02-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Far be it for me to defend the weather guys, but we broke in at about 9:14 p.m., so no.

That's kind of Mouse's point. At 9:14 pm the hail was already in San Antonio. He's saying that it should have been reported that it was on its way, prior to getting here. (I'm not sure if it was or not .. I don't watch the news.)

mouse
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Try working out in the open and having that storm sneak up on you like it did tonight.

That was a bitch....

back in the late 80s and early 90s we did hat shows at all major events. Many have no idea what it's like to have your booth or display destroyed in under 5 minutes after it took you 4 hours to set up.

I have new respect for people that travel and have to work out doors it's a challenge. I can imagine the stories Tpark has about the out door entertainment business.

I did like the fact you travel and meet all kinds of people.

wZr8jXo1Uso

exstatic
02-11-2009, 01:44 AM
It happened REAL fast. The storm was up near Austin, moving east, and suddenly the dry line erupted southwest VERY fast. It looked like a lightning strike on the radar.

I lost power for over 2 hours. The front part and southeast part of the subdivision was all black.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-11-2009, 01:45 AM
That's kind of Mouse's point. At 9:14 pm the hail was already in San Antonio. He's saying that it should have been reported that it was on its way, prior to getting here. (I'm not sure if it was or not .. I don't watch the news.)

The guys went up more than five minutes before we went on-air... we had to wait for closed captioning people to acknowledge they'd be ready to go once we went on-air.

Regardless, there are people who don't need (nor do I want) to defend publicly. Carry on, Mouse... your comment below did make me chuckle.

V

mouse
02-11-2009, 01:45 AM

I really don't give a rats ass if i ever get a warning. I just don't like to see millions spent on fancy electrical gadgets we don't really need. It reminds me of Haliburton and NASA. Trillions spent and we still have Cancer.

atxrocker
02-11-2009, 01:53 AM
it hailed here in austin as well, unfucking conveniently for me since i was about to step out the door for the night when that shit started pouring.

PuttPutt
02-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Well, no hail here in central Washington, but it is snowing. Which was a bit of a suprise to me.

Al Gore
02-11-2009, 02:16 AM
You can't say I didn't warn you all.

Twisted_Dawg
02-11-2009, 06:55 AM
I am in the insurance business. If you are thinking about reporting a claim on your house, let a week or two go by allowing some sun to hit the roof. Then if you think you have damage, I would call a roofer for an opinion. If the roofer thinks you have damage, then report the claim to your insurance company.

That was relatively small hail which usually doesn't cause damage to roofs. The last thing you want is to report a hail claim and then have an adjuster or roofer from the insurance company inspect and tell you there is no damage. Then you have a needless claim on your record whiich may affect your rates in the future.

JudynTX
02-11-2009, 08:52 AM
We got pea size hail at our place. That wind was :wow

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
:madrun I left my sunroof open. I completely forgot until my dad came in and said, "Hey, you left your sunroof tilted open..." :lmao

I've had my car for about a year and a half, I'm lucky it's the first time it's happened.

LOL you dumbass hahaha

SpursStalker
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I got about quarter size hail at my place. The wind blew a gutter off the roof missing my car by mere feet ...

:wow

CosmicCowboy
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow that was a crazy storm...I looked at the radar while it was hailing and it was a solid, narrow red line from San Antonio all the way to Northeastern Oklahoma.

CubanMustGo
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Shame it didn't stick around a little longer, we could have used the rain.