PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs nearly beat-a-Bull

Kori Ellis
03-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Spurs nearly beat-a-Bull: Duncan hits clutch shot again to hold off pesky Chicago
Web Posted: 03/05/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030505.1C.BKNspurs.bulls.gamer.10877b8e3.html

For much of the past two weeks, the Spurs have seen a difference in Tim Duncan. He's pivoting without problem. His balance is better. He's stronger, more aggressive.

The Spurs aren't the only ones who have noticed. Duncan added to his late-game heroics for the week Friday night, scoring 31 points and hitting a go-ahead 17-footer with 37.9 seconds remaining to lift the Spurs to a 102-99 victory over the Chicago Bulls at the SBC Center.

"The more aggressive he is, the better we are," Robert Horry said. "We live and die with Tim."

The Spurs have been living dangerously of late. On Monday, they needed Duncan's 19-footer at the buzzer to beat Cleveland. Two nights later against Toronto, they allowed a 21-point lead in the second half to shrink to six before pulling out a victory.

The Spurs threw another scare into Friday's sellout crowd of 18,797 when their 17-point lead vaporized in the final minutes. Bulls guard Ben Gordon scored 15 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter and made an 18-footer with 2:05 remaining to give Chicago a 94-92 lead. "He's Mr. Fourth Quarter," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said

Manu Ginobili, who scored 12 of his 19 points in the final quarter, drove for a layup to tie the game. After Chicago's Antonio Davis missed an open 17-footer, Ginobili penetrated into the lane. This time, he passed out to Duncan, who was standing alone just right of the key.

As Chicago guard Kirk Hinrich lunged at him, Duncan buried the 17-foot shot with 37.9 seconds remaining. After Hinrich followed by missing his own jump shot, the Bulls intentionally fouled Duncan, who made both of his free throws.

For the night, Duncan was 7 for 7 from the foul line. He also grabbed 13 rebounds.

"He's been making big shots since I've been here," said Tony Parker, who aided Duncan's effort with 25 points and eight assists. "He's our franchise player. That's what he's supposed to do."

Though turnovers (nine in the second half) again contributed to the Spurs' troubles, Popovich didn't chide his players for their sloppiness the way he did Wednesday.

Popovich instead complimented the Spurs for their ability to hang tough against a gritty, physical Chicago team. The experience the Spurs have gained from the string of close games — and the halfcourt execution required to win — could help the team come the playoffs, he said.

"At the beginning of the year, things came too easy," Popovich said. "I think we got into a little bit of a comfort zone. Our sense of urgency and sense of purpose kind of waned to some degree.

"With these sort of games, you start getting it back and realize nobody's that much better than anybody else in this league. It's about bringing it every night."

The Bulls appear to have also learned that lesson. Since a Dec. 6 loss to the Spurs dropped its record to 2-13, Chicago has steadily climbed up the standings.

Though still prone to mistakes because of their youth and inexperience — they committed 21 turnovers Friday — the Bulls have become one of the league's top defensive teams under the guidance of coach Scott Skiles. As a result, they're in position to make the playoffs for the first time since Michael Jordan left the franchise following the 1997-98 season.

"What they want to do is bang," Duncan said. "They want to hack and hold. I thought we did a great job of fighting through that. We didn't get on the refs too much. We just played the game all the way through."

While Chicago is not the same team it was three months ago, Duncan is not the same player. Since the All-Star break, he has played more demonstratively, showing significantly more explosiveness than he did when hip, ankle and knee injuries previously limited him.

"I still haven't hit a bank shot yet," said Duncan, who scored 19 points in the first half. "As soon as that comes back, I'll feel a lot better. But all in all, my body feels good, and I'm starting to get in a rhythm."

The Bulls noticed.

"He's always been a great low-post player, and you just have to give the guy credit," Davis said. "There's not much you can do about him."

TwoHandJam
03-05-2005, 01:51 AM
This article is bang-on. About the only positive you can take from these recent games is that the Spurs have been finding ways to win close games down the stretch. Now as to why they're in close games -in March - against some bottom feeders -at home, that's the more troubling part.

When you think about it, this is a very un-Spurlike team this year. They had a great record in the first half where they usually struggle, and now we're into March where they usually hit their stride, and they're struggling.

I think Pop is somewhat at fault here for still tinkering with the rotation (TMass first off the bench!?) this late in the season. Key guys like Horry, Barry and Brown still haven't found their role yet and that's worrisome.

However on the positive side, I've often felt that sometimes the Spurs peak too soon in March and then sort of cool down too much and just coast into the playoffs in April. Maybe this year if we start to build momentum mid March or near the end of March, we'll be peaking at the perfect time during the playoffs.

Who knows? This Spur team is an enigma to me right now.

Mr. Body
03-05-2005, 02:19 AM
The bench isn't as productive as it used to be. Games where Udrih or Brown would hit for 12 or 16 points just don't happen any more.

Solid D
03-05-2005, 02:40 AM
True. Some of the teams are pressuring the Spurs full court to keep them from getting the ball up-court quickly. When allowed to run and throw the ball ahead quickly, Beno, Brown and Barry flourish...especially with Brown running the wing.

T Park
03-05-2005, 03:24 AM
Beno's shot seems to be coming back.

Barry still looks lost.

Brown?? I dont know, good D, good hustle, but that jumper is still horrible.

If Barry and Brown are like this still in April, Ill be worried.

IMO, this might be good for the character of the team.

Get some close wins, get some gutty gut em out wins, like they would get in november and december in the old days, and peak in april and may.

Perfect.

Dex
03-05-2005, 04:24 AM
"I still haven't hit a bank shot yet," said Duncan, who scored 19 points in the first half. "As soon as that comes back, I'll feel a lot better. But all in all, my body feels good, and I'm starting to get in a rhythm."

:lol

Whatever. Duncan knows the bank is always open for him. Apparently he does it so regularly, he doesn't even remember doing it tonight.

Didn't he drain back-to-back bankers from either side of the key against Toronto?

Dario
03-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Bench isn't as productive as before is largely on pops shoulders, nobody knows when and how long he will play and what is his role. Thats takes some courage out of players and are nervous when playing. Pop should bring some stability to the team if he wants to keep winning like he was 2 months ago.

Brodels
03-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Bench isn't as productive as before is largely on pops shoulders, nobody knows when and how long he will play and what is his role. Thats takes some courage out of players and are nervous when playing. Pop should bring some stability to the team if he wants to keep winning like he was 2 months ago.

While this makes some sense, I don't think the majority of the blame should go to Pop. His rotations make it more difficult for the players, but they need to be ready to play and contribute whenever they are called upon.

I've never really understood why some players simply can't capitalize without knowing how much they are going to play and when they are going to see court time. The best bench players in the league are different. That's how Steve Kerr could sit for ten games and come in and hit some big shots. Horry is usually solid even if he doesn't play big minutes. In his case, it might be good that Pop sometimes limites his court time. He'll need the rest.

I'm reluctantly willing to give Beno a pass because he's a rookie from a different country and he's clearly still adjusting. But if Barry, Brown, and some others can't find ways to make a difference whenever they are called upon, maybe they simply aren't as good as we think they are.

td4mvp21
03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't say we are struggling, we are 4-1 since the All-Star break. WE haven't been blowing out teams we should, but these close games are really gonna help us and i love it. they are exciting, they make you watch every second.

leemajors
03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
i wouldn't really call the baby bulls or the cavs bottom feeders any more at all. they are legit playoff teams. pop won't be making those weird substitutions come playoff time- those players he is subbing in for will be more than a bit fresher at the end of the season than they would if he hadn't been making sure they weren't being given enough breathers.

boutons
03-05-2005, 02:43 PM
"wouldn't say we are struggling, we are 4-1 since the All-Star break."

Ugly wins by an NBA-Title pretender, and #1 best record, over inferior teams IS truly struggling. And as Pop said last night after the game, it was 'too easy earlier in the season" (the impressive record), so judging by recent 4-1 is totally naive.

The Spurs haven't really play anywhere near their best game since Christmas, the wins @PHX and @SEA being the exceptional peaks. Apart from that, pretty sucky wins and crappy losses.

Last night, the only compensation for blowing a 17-pt lead @SBC is that the Spurs executed very well in crunch and hit their shots to save the game that shoudn't have needed saving. The Spurs crunch defense was pretty good last night.

Spurs defense, the Spurs bedrock of any success, yet again alllowed way too many 4th qtr points, and to a team that was missing a starter.

Forget the damn record and watch the games. These Spurs have a long way to go before they are ready to win the NBA title.

The Spurs bench has taken a nose-dive from its pre-Christmas excellence while Suns bench has improved. Last night, Bulls bench outscored Spurs bench 53 - 23.

What is very encouraging is that Tim is staring to look like an MVP, and Tony has totally upped his game across the stat categories, and doing it consistently. Manu is still 4th quarter clutch as ever. Rasho is being nasty on defense. Bruce is hitting some nice shots. Robert is looking good, too.

This week is tough:
Sun: Jazz @SBC to be paid back

Tue: Nets @SBC
Wec Suns @PHX, away game of home/away B2B!

td4mvp21
03-05-2005, 03:14 PM
My gosh every one of my sentences leads to a full page of lectures on how bad the Spurs are doing. We are 4-1, THAT IS NOT STRUGGLING. The Bulls are not an inferior team, are you telling me they are the second/third best defensive team in the league for nothing? they play pretty darn good defense-they contest shots, they can block shots, they can trap, they can steal, they are not a sucky team anymore. Last night was a big win for us. The Toronto game we struggled. However playing the Cavs at home where they had a 21-5 record is a TOUGH game. We won by two with excellent execution and we played a fairly decent game ON THE ROAD. The Grizzlies game-they have VERY good defense as well, but they did get ALOT of help from the refs. The houston game-we played good against yet another defensive team and blew them out by nearly 20. HOW ON EARTH are we struggling????? we may not be playing our full potential but we are not struggling. we are somewhere in the middle, sometimes above, and I expect that to change very soon.

BronxCowboy
03-05-2005, 03:40 PM
What is very encouraging is that Tim is staring to look like an MVP, and Tony has totally upped his game across the stat categories, and doing it consistently. Manu is still 4th quarter clutch as ever. Rasho is being nasty on defense. Bruce is hitting some nice shots. Robert is looking good, too.

Whoa, boutons saw some good in something!?! I can die now. :lol