PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown is no student of Greg Popovich

GSH
02-11-2009, 12:27 AM
The news stories used to talk about the time Mike Brown spent as an assistant coach under Greg Popovich, before taking over at Cleveland. Well Mikey must not have been paying attention while he was here. Tonight he went on a tirade about the officiating in their loss to the Pacers. (He didn't call him by name, but it was Joey Crawford... again.) He never learned anything like that from Greg Popovich. He will definitely get a healthy fine from the league, as if anybody cares. But it's no way to lead a team, or to teach them to be winners.

It reminded me of some of the tirades by Mike D'Antoni over the years. And I think that those always weakened the Suns, because they quit focusing on playing basketball. Tonight LeBron said the same sort of things in his interview, in less harsh words. It's one thing for the fans to scream about officiating, but it's another when the coach does it, and gets his players doing the same. I wouldn't be surprised if this sets the tone for the rest of their season.

Here is an article about it, with most of Brown's comments. But you really need to see video to appreciate just how bad it made him look.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/02/a_foul_finish_brown_excoriates.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- Cavaliers coach Mike Brown stormed out of the locker room and launched a tirade against NBA official Joey Crawford in the wake of his team's wild 96-95 loss to the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday night in Canseco Fieldhouse. Although Brown did not call Crawford by name, he was incensed over a foul Crawford called on LeBron James with .1 of a second left that sent All-Star Danny Granger to the line for what turned out to be the game-winning free throw. It was the first time this season the Cavs lost back-to-back games.

Brown alleged that after referee Bennie Adams called Granger for a foul on James on an inbounds play with .4 of a second left that allowed James to make two free throws and tie the score at 95, Crawford responded by deliberately calling a foul on a similar play on the other end.

"I went back and I watched the last two plays and that last call on LeBron was the worst call I've ever been a part of," a seething Brown said. "I cannot imagine another worse call than that by that official. It was an awful call and for him to take away a basketball game from a team with .4 seconds on the clock is irresponsible. That is an irresponsible call.
It was predetermined from the call that was made on the other end of the floor and it was very unfortunate because there were a lot of men out on the floor that were working their (behind) off to try to win the ball game. We got that game taken away from us on a horse -- excuse my French -- horsecrap call with .2 seconds left on the clock by that official. Absolutely horrible."

"You can not ... you can not ... you can not predetermine a call to try to make something up for the other end of the floor," Brown said, his voice rising. "I saw it. I was a foul down there with .4 second. Down here, it was not. LeBron was in between his man and the basket. He went up in the air when the ball was tipped. And for that official to predetermine his call was awful. It was awful. That's why we lost the game.

"I never blame the officials. But that call was a predetermined call and he should have swallowed his whistle on it. But he did not."

FreeMason
02-11-2009, 12:29 AM
What a joke.

Dude is showing no class in this. For those that missed the game, the refs almost handed Team Lebron a win at the very end on a bullshit phantom alley-oop foul call.

Then the pacers got the same exact call on the other end.

Typical case of the refs having to make up for a stupid ass foul call on the previous play.

SpursFanFirst
02-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Lebron was whining too. I wonder if he'll get a fine.

Sec24Row7
02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
It's not the first time he has spent money complaining. It won't be the last. Pop's way isn't always the right way... if Timmy hadn't spent money complaining about Joey kicking out of the game for laughing... i doubt Joey gets suspended...

Sometimes spending money on a fine works... Ask Phil Jackson...

The Truth #6
02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Brown has to stick up for his superstar. Pop defends Tim with the refs as well and occasionally gets a technical, however after the game he always gets his composure back.

itzsoweezee
02-11-2009, 12:35 AM
it works for phil

SequSpur
02-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Probably because Mike Brown just realized he lost the regular season championship.

K-State Spur
02-11-2009, 12:39 AM
"I went back and I watched the last two plays and that last call on LeBron was the worst call I've ever been a part of," a seething Brown said.

Actually, the call in Lebron's favor was worse.

Cane
02-11-2009, 12:39 AM
If it happened to the Spurs I might be just as livid but I definitely agree that getting fined/suspended to get your message across can be worth the trouble especially if it produces results.

Maybe this will motivate the NBA to push for that particular ref to retire.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 12:43 AM
both calls were bad, so complaining is stupid, but I understand..it's his team..

it's also funnier because it's the Cavs..Lebron has gotten so many ridiculous calls over the years, even at the end of games..ask Wizards fans how they feel about this..

Creation88
02-11-2009, 12:56 AM
bizarre ending.

boutons_
02-11-2009, 01:03 AM
he'll get fined

timvp
02-11-2009, 01:04 AM
It was a horrible call . . .

KidCongo
02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
The Cavs have lost their composure lately. The injuries and the returning to bad habits are causing this loss of composure to happen.

GSH
02-11-2009, 01:14 AM
With respect to the other comments, there's still a big difference in what Brown did, and anything you hear coming from Greg Popovich. It's when he says, "That's why we lost the game."

I've heard Pop comment about officiating now and then (but not often). But when it comes to losing games, his response is always, "We got out-played." He doesn't give his team any excuses. And with Cleveland's record right now, they don't even need any excuses. That victim mentality is habit-forming.

The Cavs shot 29 FT's vs 13 for the Pacers, but they only shot 72% from the line. That's where they lost the game.

The Cavs shot 28% from the 3P line, and turned the ball over 15 times. That's where they lost the game.

The Cavs got outscored in the paint 40-36, and LeBron led their team with 4 assists for the night. That's where they lost the game.

ploto
02-11-2009, 01:15 AM
The funniest part is JOB ran the exact same play on the other end tempting the refs to make the same call- and they did.

DrHouse
02-11-2009, 01:15 AM
It was a horrible call on both ends of the floor.

The Cavs should have never gotten the 1st call to begin with.

ploto
02-11-2009, 01:18 AM
...turned the ball over 15 times.

The Cavs got outscored in the paint 40-36...
Turnovers were the key, and Roy and Rasho did a nice job on Ilgauskas.

The difference is Pop will always say that you do not put yourself in a position to have one call decide a game like that. And without that call, they still go to OT.

BaumSquad
02-11-2009, 01:28 AM
they were both horrible calls, tit for tat. and they were the exact same play and exact same foul, for mike brown to get mad at it is retarded. take the loss and move on. quit making excuses

Allanon
02-11-2009, 01:31 AM
they were both horrible calls, tit for tat. and they were the exact same play and exact same foul, for mike brown to get mad at it is retarded. take the loss and move on. quit making excuses

Horrid calls, both should have been non-calls at that point in the game.

Yorae
02-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Either way, Crawford is really on his way to stardom.

EricB
02-11-2009, 02:00 AM
It was a horrible call on both ends of the floor.

The Cavs should have never gotten the 1st call to begin with.

+1

I agreed with Gary Payton on NBATV too.

Should've been a no call.

EricB
02-11-2009, 02:02 AM
The Cavs have lost their composure lately. The injuries and the returning to bad habits are causing this loss of composure to happen.

The coming back to earth as well.

I've stated all season long I thought the Cav's record was fools gold and they would come back to the pack.

There IMO is only 3 serious teams.

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs.

IMO, thats it.

Especially with Jameer Nelson out for the Magic.

GSH
02-11-2009, 02:11 AM

I've stated all season long I thought the Cav's record was fools gold and they would come back to the pack.

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs.

IMO, thats it.

They might not be a candidate to win it all, but Philadelphia could knock out any team in the East. And, frankly, I'm glad that the Spurs don't have to worry about meeting them in an early round of the playoffs.

KidCongo
02-11-2009, 02:19 AM

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs.

IMO, thats it.

It's not like the Cavs are playing with a healthy unit out there. Wallace and Z are both out of game shape, missing the X factor Delonte. I hope they make you eat your words. :hat

EricB
02-11-2009, 02:21 AM
It's not like the Cavs are playing with a healthy unit out there. Wallace and Z are both out of game shape, missing the X factor Delonte. I hope they make you eat your words. :hat

Z injured? What a shocker.

Ben Wallace is shot.

Delonte West as your difference maker really should be a bit scary.

Good luck to them, but I just don't think they have the guns.

Dave McNulla
02-11-2009, 02:43 AM
joey crawford sucks... enough to get tim duncan to cuss him out.

DMX7
02-11-2009, 03:04 AM
it works for phil

Phil has 11 championships.

(2 as a player and 9 as a coach)

dav4463
02-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Pop would have just said it shouldn't have come down to a 1 pt game against the Pacers.

m33p0
02-11-2009, 03:17 AM
If it happened to the Spurs I might be just as livid but I definitely agree that getting fined/suspended to get your message across can be worth the trouble especially if it produces results.

Maybe this will motivate the NBA to push for that particular ref to retire.
that would be a bad move. we will end up with league officiated by referees who keep second-guessing themselves and end up swallowing their whistles or be influenced by fans because it's the 'popular' thing to do.

Deimosfobos
02-11-2009, 03:18 AM
The funniest part is JOB ran the exact same play on the other end tempting the refs to make the same call- and they did.

Yeah, that was a very smart move. Basically they force it to happen, bad call or not, if it happens on both ends of the floor on the same way... you have to call it, isn't it?

Fernando TD21
02-11-2009, 04:34 AM
53oSYvwTZ_w

Manufan909
02-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Any link to the postgame?

urunobili
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Crawford again? So int he playoffs he swallowed his whistle on the Fisher foul and now gets easy trigger??? WTF???

SenorSpur
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Brown's got a lot of nerve bitching about this, when his team benefited from a similar "bad" call on the previous possession. It was the exact same play, and the exact same "bad" call on both ends. Get over it.

SpursChampsIII
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
So it's possible to have a basketball game taken away from you with .04 seconds remaining? Who woulda thunk?

resistanze
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
LeBron should've missed the second FT. :lol

dmac
02-11-2009, 10:48 AM
+1

I agreed with Gary Payton on NBATV too.

Should've been a no call.

Let's get rid of the refs and let the players call their own fouls.

But who are they going to blame their losses on?

m33p0
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
LeBron should've missed the second FT. :lol
... and lose by a point.

Chomag
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
No blood no foul. At least thats how it was when I played B-ball back when.
Players of these days are so pampered and spoiled they have forgotten what it's like to just "PLAY THE DAMN GAME"

On the 2 calls, I agree that it should have been a no call. However if there was really a call that must have been made there was a alot more contact on the Pacers play then with the Cavs...

So Mike Brown Bitchen about this is all LOL

DDS4
02-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Microcosm of NBA officiating.

One bad call followed by another egregious (make up) bad call.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
They were almost identical plays on both ends of the court. If you call one you should probably call the other. Although I would have hoped neither play would be whistled in that situation.

SpursFanFirst
02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
It was a horrible call . . .

What about the one that went against the Pacers?

SpursFanFirst
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Pop would have just said it shouldn't have come down to a 1 pt game against the Pacers.

What does that mean? How many games have the Pacers lost this season by only a handful of points.
The Pacers aren't as bad as their record indicates.

They have taken on the Celtics and Lakers (beat both teams), and now the Cavs.

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
They were almost identical plays on both ends of the court. If you call one you should probably call the other. Although I would have hoped neither play would be whistled in that situation.

I agree with this and I think that while its tempting to spew venom at Joey, in this case, he did the right thing -- something he might not have done without having been rebuffed by the league for the Barry no-call, frankly.

Look, the call that favored Lebron wasn't made by Joey. It was made by Bennie Adams on the baseline. Had THAT call been made by Joey, I think pointing the finger of blame at him would be warranted. That looked like a hideously bad call and one that, I think, was made ONLY because Lebron James was the intended target of the lob.

But my point is this: with Adams having chosen to make that call, the game precedent had been set. I don't like make-up calls and think that officials who try to even things out usually end of making more problems than they solve. But in that particular instance, you had practically identical plays and it would have been very difficult to explain why one was called a foul and the other wasn't. I think Crawford knew that and I think that he realized that he had to make that call. If it had been deemed a foul on one end, it had to be called a foul on the other end.

Joey's call on Lebron wasn't a make-up call, I think -- it was fulfillment of the wish that officials at least be consistent.

I'm no Joey Crawford fan, but I think in this instance he did exactly the right thing.

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
And Pop's mantra, moreso than the one-play thing, is that teams should only worry about what they can control, which doesn't include officiating. Good teams can overcome bad officiating by executing on both ends. In that sense, teams lose because they don't execute and not because of poor calls.

resistanze
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
... and lose by a point.

Oops! My mistake. :lol