PDA

View Full Version : Argentine pals at different stages

Kori Ellis
03-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Argentine pals at different stages
Web Posted: 03/05/2005 12:00 AM CST

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030505.7C.BKNspurs.ginobili.10868d09e.html

Manu Ginobili didn't have to look very hard to find Chicago Bulls forward Andres Nocioni on Friday night.

He just had to keep his eyes peeled for the guy who reminded him of himself.

Nocioni — who starred with Ginobili on the Olympic gold medal-winning Argentinean national team — mixes his oodles of athletic ability with reckless abandon, but early in his NBA career has found it difficult to fit in with teammates unfamiliar with his style. Ginobili knows the feeling.

"He's in a tough place right now," Ginobili said. "I've been there. You feel awkward. He did great (Friday), but then they kind of forgot about him."

And right now, that's the biggest difference between the two Olympic gold-medal winners. No one forgets about Ginobili with the game on the line.

He proved it again in the Spurs' 102-99 victory over the Bulls at the SBC Center, scoring 12 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter.

Shaking off one of his roughest starts of the season, Ginobili hit back-to-back 3-pointers to start the final period, then staved off a Chicago rally with a driving, game-tying lay-up with 1:35 left and four free throws in the final minute.

"I usually try to start the fourth quarter more aggressive," Ginobili said. "After I knocked the first two threes down, that made me more confident."

Up until that point, he hadn't even been the most impressive Argentinean on the floor.

Nocioni, a rookie whom Gregg Popovich and the Spurs had scouted for years, led the Bulls in the first half with 13 points, but missed the only shot he took after the break.

Starting in place of injured Bulls forward Luol Deng, Nocioni clearly had something to prove.

"You could tell he wanted to play like that against Manu," Spurs guard Tony Parker said. "It's like that when you play against guys from your own country. I'm like that against other French players."

Ginobili, meanwhile, had his own source of home-grown motivation. Sitting courtside Friday were Ginobili's parents, who are visiting this month from Argentina.

Ginobili said he always wants to play well in front of his father, Jorge, a coach who has served as president of Argentina's Bahiense del Norte basketball club. Ginobili said his dad was the man responsible for "making me calm down" after youth games.

So, Ginobili was asked, his dad wouldn't remind him at all of his current coach, would he?

"There's no comparison," Ginobili said, laughing, "to Pop."

SuperManu!!!
03-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Nocioni, a rookie whom Gregg Popovich and the Spurs had scouted for years

Man....are the spurs trying to get all the argentineans? They already have manu, draft pick Scola, draft pick Oberto; now this? ANd i heard that they were also talking to Matias Lescano.

smeagol
03-05-2005, 07:48 AM
draft pick Oberto
Is this true?

Slo spurs fan
03-05-2005, 07:50 AM
No.

Marhq
03-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Oberto was never drafted. He is said to have some offers from Portland and Chicago though.

I would love to see him make it to the NBA but he'll be 30 by the time the next season starts so maybe it's a bit late for him to make the jump to the NBA successfully.

maxpower
03-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Can't blame them for going back to the well.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2005, 10:07 AM
I think the Bobcats are trying to sign Herrmanns.

ALVAREZ6
03-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Man....are the spurs trying to get all the argentineans? They already have manu, draft pick Scola, draft pick Oberto; now this? ANd i heard that they were also talking to Matias Lescano.
What's wrong with that? :lol

chaco
03-05-2005, 10:52 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/211sd7.htm

Help? Bulls have that faraway look again

Argentine star Oberto might be good future fit

Monday, February 21, 2005

By Paul Ladewski
Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From getting a multiyear contract to playing a significant role with a playoff contender, Bulls forward Andres Nocioni couldn't ask for much more in his first NBA season.
Well, there is somebody, actually.

"Andres is very, very happy to be with the Bulls and live in the United States," said Nelson Da Silva, his interpreter. "Now he has to ask Mr. Paxson to bring Oberto here."

It turns out that Mr. Paxson didn't have to be asked at all.

Paxson is Bulls general manager John Paxson, of course. Oberto is longtime European star Fabricio Oberto, who played with Nocioni on the Argentina national team that captured the gold medal at the Athens Olympics last summer.

While Paxson is tight-lipped on the subject, he has inquired about Oberto, whose contract with Pamesa Valencia in the European League will expire in June.

"It would not be wise for me to talk publicly about a player who is currently under contract," Paxson said. "There are a number of possibilities, but it's too early to address any of them at this point."

If the 6-foot-10, 242-pound Oberto isn't a household name around these parts now, then he figures to be one before long. One year after several marginal big men signed lucrative free-agent contracts, Oberto could be one of the most coveted in the open market this summer.

"The best center in Europe," Nocioni called him. "Oberto is a good player — very, very good. He is tough and is a very good defender and rebounder and has very good moves around the basket."

Asked whether Oberto had a weakness, Nocioni smiled and said, "His free throws are so-so."

This summer, Bulls management has to make potentially difficult decisions about the futures of power forward Tyson Chandler and center Eddy Curry, who are eligible to become unrestricted free agents. Oberto could represent a more cost-effective option in the event that Chandler or Curry or both receive the maximum offer from another team.

Because of his lack of bulk, Oberto is projected to be an NBA power forward who can move to center on occasion. Even if Chandler and Curry were to remain with the team, Oberto could replace 36-year-old power forward Antonio Davis, who has one season left on his contract.

This much is known for now: Paxson hopes to make greater inroads overseas in the near future, and although not considered to be NBA superstar quality, Oberto is the kind of physical, well-schooled team player Paxson wants to build around.

Pressed further on the matter, Paxson finally conceded, "If you ask me whether Oberto fits what (head coach) Scott (Skiles) and I have in mind for us in the future, then the answer is yes."

But while Paxson declined to get into specifics, agent Herb Rudoy left no doubt he considers Oberto and the Bulls to be an ideal match for one another.

"If you need somebody to rebound, Fabricio will rebound," Rudoy said. "If you need somebody to defend, he will defend. If you need somebody to score, he will score. If you need somebody to set a pick, he will set a pick. In other words, Fabricio fits exactly what the Bulls have in mind."

Rudoy also was effusive in his praise for Paxson, Skiles and the organization as a whole.

"Needless to say, the Bulls are greatly improved this season, and John deserves much of the credit for the turnaround," Rudoy said. "He has a definite vision of what he wants the team to become, and he is intent to see the plan through to completion."

Then again, the Bulls are only one of several teams already in line for Oberto, who will turn 30 next month.

One potential roadblock for the Bulls in any pursuit of Oberto is their salary-cap situation, especially if they match any offers for Chandler and Curry with the intent to keep them. In that case, the team wouldn't have the desired financial flexibility until after the 2005-06 season, which would be too late to bring Oberto aboard if he were to receive a substantial offer from elsewhere.

The uncertain NBA labor situation also could delay the arrival of Oberto in this country. The collective bargaining agreement is set to expire this summer, and although the players union and team owners are optimistic about a settlement before the start of preseason camp, any delay may prompt Oberto to sign a more secure deal overseas.

With the expected arrivals of Oberto and forward Luis Scola, a second-round draft pick of the San Antonio Spurs three years ago, the entire frontcourt of the Argentina gold-medal team could be in the NBA next season. Because the two play similar positions, the Spurs are not expected to pursue Oberto, according to one international basketball source.

At his age, there may be no better time for Oberto to realize his goal to play in the NBA than the present. In 1999, the New York Knicks invited Oberto to a tryout, but a broken hand prevented it.

"Fabricio wants to be paid what he's worth, but that's not his real motivation to come here," Rudoy said. "His desire is to play significant minutes and do it with a good team."

Does Oberto consider the Bulls to be a good team?

"Absolutely," Rudoy said.

An accomplished post player at both ends of the court, Oberto was considered the best offensive player in Europe not long ago. He showed as much in the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis, scoring 28 points in the gold-medal game against a Yugoslavia team that featured Vlade Divac, Marko Jaric and Peja Stojakovic, all of whom currently play in the NBA.

"If you want a player who has great statistics every game, then Fabricio is not the one for you," said Manu Ginobili, another key member of the Argentina team that struck gold last summer. "But if you need somebody who knows how to play the game, then he definitely is somebody you want on your side. Nobody knows how to win better than Fabricio does."

Said Rudoy, "Ask anybody familiar with the Argentinean team and he will tell you that Oberto was its most valuable player — every one of them. Fabricio is the best player in Europe and has been for years."

While it's premature to say the Bulls are the favorites in the Oberto sweepstakes, several factors appear to favor them.

For one, Rudoy and the Bulls are no strangers to this sort of thing. Rudoy also represented former Croatia star Toni Kukoc, a fixture with three Bulls championship teams last decade, and he and Paxson have a cordial business relationship.

Rudoy also cited the experience that Skiles had in Greece, where he spent one season after his retirement as a player.

"Scott did a tremendous job as a head coach overseas," Rudoy said. "He has an appreciation for European players. Not everyone gets it, but Scott gets it."

What's more, Rudoy said his client could make such a move without contractual complications, which is not always the case with foreign players.

"His contract is not an issue," Rudoy said. "None whatsoever."

The chance to reunite with Nocioni also would appeal to Oberto, and vice versa.

As expected, Nocioni has found the transition to a new league and new country to be a rather difficult one, in large part because of the language barrier on and off the court.

"It would help Andres to have someone like Fabricio with him," Ginobili said. "It is difficult for a European to play in the NBA, especially at the start, but if he has somebody that he knows well and can communicate with on the team, it is much easier."

Nocioni and Oberto have been teammates with the Argentina national team for the last eight years. They also played together with Tau Ceramica in Europe for two seasons.

"Oberto is a good guy for the team," Nocioni said. "He is a complete player. We have a good center here now, but (Oberto) would be a good addition for any team."

Soon, Nocioni and Oberto may have even more in common. As was the case for Nocioni late last year, Oberto expects to become a father for the first time this summer.

As a result, Oberto does not intend to participate in the Tournament of the Americas this summer. The competition will determine the four American qualifiers in the World Championships in Japan next year, a berth Argentina has already clinched as a result of its Olympic gold medal.

"Considering that we don't have to worry about qualifying, I will not go," Oberto was quoted saying recently, "because I consider the birth of my baby to be more important in this case."

Now the question is, do the Bulls have another new addition on the way themselves?

stéphane
03-05-2005, 11:02 AM
remind me who is olympic champ? :p
there are some talented guys in this team.

ZStomp
03-05-2005, 12:10 PM

Spurs didn't draft Oberto.....

ALVAREZ6
03-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the article Chaco.

I hope Oberto comes to the NBA, and I would like to see him play for the Bulls with Nocioni.

SuperManu!!!
03-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Spurs didn't draft Oberto.....

Sorry, yesterday I was sleepy and i meant to say that they were looking for Oberto to bring him here in the preseason. My fault! :smokin

circles_eternal
03-05-2005, 01:43 PM

i don`t see anything bad with having olympic gold medalists in one NBA team.

Marhq
03-05-2005, 11:51 PM
The Spurs did make a move to bring Montecchia (pg) last season but he couldn't get out of his contract with Pamesa Valencia.

timvp
03-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Because the two play similar positions, the Spurs are not expected to pursue Oberto, according to one international basketball source.

Which is the better player? I've always loved Oberto's game and can't figure out why no team ever found a way to get him. Scola has a lot of upside too, but I haven't seen as much of him as I have Oberto.

Who is better?

T Park
03-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Ginobili said he always wants to play well in front of his father, Jorge, a coach who has served as president of Argentina's Bahiense del Norte basketball club. Ginobili said his dad was the man responsible for "making me calm down" after youth games.

So, Ginobili was asked, his dad wouldn't remind him at all of his current coach, would he?

"There's no comparison," Ginobili said, laughing, "to Pop."

Guess, those that thought after last season that Ginobili would be pissed at pop, were wrong.