PDA

View Full Version : Parents charged in python attack on 3-year-old son

mrsmaalox
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Parents charged in python attack on 3-year-old son

http://www.lvrj.com/news/39420957.html

Feb. 11, 2009

Prosecutor cites cage disrepair, risks from snake in charging couple with abuse, neglect

Police on Tuesday arrested the parents of a 3-year-old boy who last month was bitten and squeezed to the point of unconsciousness by an 18-foot python.

Melissa Melendrez, 25, and Anthony Melendrez, 26, are being charged with one count each of felony child abuse resulting in substantial bodily harm and felony child neglect in the Jan. 20 incident in their southwest valley apartment.

The charges stem from concerns authorities had over the cage housing the tiger reticulated python.

According to the couple's arrest report, the door of the wood and fiberglass cage was being held together by duct tape and had "insufficient" latches with no locks.

At night, Anthony Melendrez would nail shut the door of the cage. Melissa Melendrez worried the snake might escape, according to the report.

The arrests contrast with how authorities dealt with previous animal attack cases, notably two last year in which pit bulls fatally mauled two young children. No one was charged in those cases because prosecutors felt they could not prove that the children were intentionally placed in harm's way, as the state statutes require.

Clark County District Attorney David Roger said this case is different, partly because it involves a snake.

"We felt that under the circumstances, because the cage was in disrepair and because a python seems to be an inherently dangerous pet, that the abuse and neglect statute applied," Roger said.

The couple's youngest son had to be resuscitated by his mother after she stabbed the snake several times with a kitchen knife. The boy has fully recovered, and he and his 5-year-old brother are staying with Patty Robson, their grandmother.

Robson said Tuesday she was upset by the way authorities have handled her daughter's case versus the cases of others involved in animal attacks. She said her grandson didn't require any stitches and didn't sustain internal injuries in the incident.

"There've been worse dog bites, and how many people keep a dog properly restrained?" Robson said. "It was a freak accident. It was just one of those things that wasn't planned."

The report doesn't state how the snake, named Eve, escaped the cage. Eve had been in the home for four to six weeks, according to the arrest report.

Robson said the family had owned the snake before having a third party sell it to the Eden Gentlemen's Club, on Valley View Boulevard near Spring Mountain Road. The person who bought the python then asked the couple to care for it while the club was being remodeled, Robson said.

But Robson said the man wouldn't return phone calls when the family tried to return the snake.

Calls to the club have not been returned.

Melissa Melendrez told police that on the morning of the attack, she hadn't touched the cage and didn't know if it was secure. She went to the bathroom, and when she came out, her 3-year-old son was in the master bedroom. She could only see his feet, because the snake had flipped him upside down while coiling around him, according to the arrest report.

She then ran to the kitchen, grabbed a knife, and began stabbing the snake. Her son had "light brown stuff" coming from his mouth, and his face turned blue, the report states.

The snake then let go and, as Melissa Melendrez was performing CPR, started wrapping itself around her waist, according to the report.

The snake was euthanized because of the knife wounds it sustained. The boy was hospitalized overnight. Melissa Melendrez suffered bite marks on her hands. Anthony Melendrez was not home at the time.

Police noted in the arrest report that the family's five other snakes, ranging in length from 3 feet to 11 feet, were kept in cages without locks.

Anthony Melendrez told police that once when Eve was shedding, she pressed against her cage and broke the door and window.

Robson praised her daughter's response to the attack, but she didn't know how to feel about the charges.

"I can understand why the charges are in place. No, I don't feel that my daughter did anything wrong."

Blake
02-11-2009, 11:10 AM
"I can understand why the charges are in place. No, I don't feel that my daughter did anything wrong."

really? then why was a python choking your grandson?

I can't believe they don't have harsh penalties though for those pit bull attacks. Now that's pretty sickening.

resistanze
02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Pussy ass python. Can't fight a grown man.

SpursStalker
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Some people should not be allowed to breed ...

:rolleyes

sonic21
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM

:bang

zinagray
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
That is too bad

mrsmaalox
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I wish people could just learn that small children and large animals of any breed/species just don't mix. I know some people are very diligent and cautious, but you never know, things happen. I had a neighbor who had this enormous, vicious rabbit that would break out of it's pen and come over and kick my dog's ass all the time!!! :wtf

Blake
02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I wish people could just learn that small children and large animals of any breed/species just don't mix. I know some people are very diligent and cautious, but you never know, things happen. I had a neighbor who had this enormous, vicious rabbit that would break out of it's pen and come over and kick my dog's ass all the time!!! :wtf

straight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mrsmaalox
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
straight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Really. People thought that scene was really funny, but let me tell you, it's not so funny when you've actually lived that horror! Dammit!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2009, 01:18 PM
An 18 foot python could probably swallow a three year old without much trouble. To keep one in an unlocked cage with a little kid in the house is unforgiveable. Their parenting license needs to be revoked.

mrsmaalox
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
An 18 foot python could probably swallow a three year old without much trouble. To keep one in an unlocked cage with a little kid in the house is unforgiveable. Their parenting license needs to be revoked.

:wow This 18 ft python just swallowed a pregnant sheep!!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/images/060915-python-ewe_big.jpg

pawe
02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
That picture is sick!
Does the sheep have octuplets too?

Slydragon
02-12-2009, 03:12 AM
crazy crazy