PDA

View Full Version : RE: Tim Duncan; Kevin Love Faces Dan Patrick

Galileo
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
RE: Tim Duncan; Kevin Love Faces Dan Patrick

On Fox Sports radio this morning, Dan "Big Ego" Patrick, who spends most of his time worshipping Kobe and Lebron (when he's not bragging and boasting), interviewed rookie Kevin Love.

Patrick asked Love who the best player he has played against.

Love responded immediately that it was Tim Duncan and then went on the elaborate why.

Flustered, Patrick then asked Love "Well, who is the toughest player to deal with?"

Love quickly responded; "Tim Duncan".

Love then told a story about how Duncan had hit a bank shot over him. As Love was running down the court, he muttered to himself "What am I going to do about that?".

Duncan overheard Love and said; "There's nothing you can do about that, son."

Patrick seemed floored after this. Imagine that. A player with 4 rings, 3 Finals MVPs, 2 MVPs, and 9 1st team, All-NBAs as good as two players with a combined 3 rings, 0 Finals MVPs, 1 MVPs, and 8 1st-team, All-NBAs.

Imagine that?

And Kobe has even been in the NBA longer than Duncan.

A little later, a still flustered Patrick was shocked to hear that the Pro Bowl got higher ratings than the Kobe-Lebron love fest.

Shocking, indeed.

There's a reason why college basketball continues to equal or exceed the NBA in popularity, they play team ball in college. The Spurs are the closest approximation to college style ball in the NBA.

If anyone has audio, please post.

UPDATE!

(thanks to neboat)

You can listen to the Kevin Love bits here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Great thread/post. Dan Patrick is annoying as shit.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
It's funny to hear Duncan say something cocky, I wouldn't expect that from him.

lefty
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm having an orgasm

hater
02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
If I was building a team from scratch today, Tim Duncan is still my #1 pick.

duncan228
02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
From Kevin Love's blog the first time he played Duncan.

Epic (http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=5800009399)
Nov. 7, 2008

WEDNESDAY'S EPIC GAME

It was crazy. It was my first going up against Tim Duncan. And to see him work and all his moves and how he's a finisher around the bucket. I've always looked up to his game while I was growing up. He's a ... serious player. He's the greatest winner in the past 10 years. And far as best player goes, it's probably him.

So going up against him, and learning from him -- there were teaching points last night. He hit a 15-footer off the glass and I was running up the court and said 'Man, what can I do about that?' Well young fella, you can't do much about that, to be honest with you.

He's as good as advertised. And Tony Parker last night went absolutely off, though. Our game plan last night was to have our guards go under the screens and make him shoot contested jump shots. But he was making them. We stuck to our plan but he had one hell of a night.

Tony Parker was unbelievable. He had 55 points and I don't care who you are or who you play -- 55 points is 55 points.

With Tim Duncan, we went into two overtimes, and I would have thought, before I looked at the stat sheet thought maybe he had 15, 18 points and he ended up having 30 points and 16 rebounds. That was the quietest 30 and 16 I've ever seen. He just goes out there and produces and gets it done.

We had the game in our hands, but they kept hitting big shots down the stretch. We only had 10 turnovers, had 35 assists on 47 shots. It was a good night for us, but we couldn't close it out. We needed just one more shot, one more rebound and it would have been our game.

You have to give credit to them. They really buckled down the last few shots and made 'em.

I can't say that I was surprised by the intensity of the game because we talked about it in the game plan. They were 0-3 for the first time in 1974 or 1975. We talked about how they were going to come out like it was Game 7 of a playoff series. They didn't want to be 0-4 for the first time in ages.

We came out with the same intensity. We matched them, got them down in the third quarter. Like I said, we had our chance to win the game. It was an intense game going into double overtime, we didn't close it out. We're 1-3, but we have a chance to be pretty good. We could be 3-1 right now, we could be 4-0, but we need start putting things together close out games and get some Ws.

xellos88330
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
If I was building a team from scratch today, Tim Duncan is still my #1 pick.

Agreed!!! :toast

vander
02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
huh? I haven't heard DP in a long time, but I always thought him to be one of the best sports radio personalities, I liked him and Cowherd and that's about it.

Whisky Dog
02-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Young fella...

Galileo
02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Update - Patrick was about to interview Steve Nash, but I missed that. Wonder what came up?

dougp
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
huh? I haven't heard DP in a long time, but I always thought him to be one of the best sports radio personalities, I liked him and Cowherd and that's about it.

I hate DP - he's sit in for Cowherd, and he's such a fuckin homer. Someone would call in with a valid argument and he'd hang up on them.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Dan Patrick would certainly snuggle up close to Lebron or Kobe at a sleepover, but I think he is fairly gracious when discussing the Spurs.

Galileo
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
From Kevin Love's blog the first time he played Duncan.

Epic (http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=5800009399)
Nov. 7, 2008

WEDNESDAY'S EPIC GAME

It was crazy. It was my first going up against Tim Duncan. And to see him work and all his moves and how he's a finisher around the bucket. I've always looked up to his game while I was growing up. He's a ... serious player. He's the greatest winner in the past 10 years. And far as best player goes, it's probably him.

So going up against him, and learning from him -- there were teaching points last night. He hit a 15-footer off the glass and I was running up the court and said 'Man, what can I do about that?' Well young fella, you can't do much about that, to be honest with you.

He's as good as advertised. And Tony Parker last night went absolutely off, though. Our game plan last night was to have our guards go under the screens and make him shoot contested jump shots. But he was making them. We stuck to our plan but he had one hell of a night.

Tony Parker was unbelievable. He had 55 points and I don't care who you are or who you play -- 55 points is 55 points.

With Tim Duncan, we went into two overtimes, and I would have thought, before I looked at the stat sheet thought maybe he had 15, 18 points and he ended up having 30 points and 16 rebounds. That was the quietest 30 and 16 I've ever seen. He just goes out there and produces and gets it done.

We had the game in our hands, but they kept hitting big shots down the stretch. We only had 10 turnovers, had 35 assists on 47 shots. It was a good night for us, but we couldn't close it out. We needed just one more shot, one more rebound and it would have been our game.

You have to give credit to them. They really buckled down the last few shots and made 'em.

I can't say that I was surprised by the intensity of the game because we talked about it in the game plan. They were 0-3 for the first time in 1974 or 1975. We talked about how they were going to come out like it was Game 7 of a playoff series. They didn't want to be 0-4 for the first time in ages.

We came out with the same intensity. We matched them, got them down in the third quarter. Like I said, we had our chance to win the game. It was an intense game going into double overtime, we didn't close it out. We're 1-3, but we have a chance to be pretty good. We could be 3-1 right now, we could be 4-0, but we need start putting things together close out games and get some Ws.

This sounds eerily similar to what he said on the radio.

Galileo
02-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Cowherd is like a dumber version of Dan Patrick. I hope the Spurs make these dudes eat crow in May and June.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
It's funny to hear Duncan say something cocky, I wouldn't expect that from him.

:lol I agree completely

Spurminator
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Dan Patrick would certainly snuggle up close to Lebron or Kobe at a sleepover, but I think he is fairly gracious when discussing the Spurs.

I don't know... I can't say I know about his whole body of work as far as NBA coverage but I believe the last time I listened to him was when he interviewed David Stern about the Amare/Diaw suspensions in what amounted to a 20-minute temper tantrum.

ClingingMars
02-11-2009, 02:09 PM

Cowherd fucking sucks.

FreeMason
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't really get the anti-small market vibe from DP. Nor the big ego, he is just very sarcastic.

DP is not anywhere close to being as big-headed as the dude that comes on after Rome.

Galileo
02-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't really get the anti-small market vibe from DP. Nor the big ego, he is just very sarcastic.

DP is not anywhere close to being as big-headed as the guy who comes on after Jim Rome.

Do you ever listen to this guy (DP)?

He effin talks like he has a stick up his ass, totally ass-kissing Kobe and Lebron like they walk on water. Kobe and Lebron have zero Finals MVPs in 17 seasons, while Duncan has 3 in 11 seasons.

Duncan performs on the big stage, not Kobe and Lebron.

Patrick has spent it seems like a whole week now talking about steroids with his big government corporate ass-kissing that never stops. He be good at the next Salem witch-hunt. He needs a big needle stuck up his a-roid a-hole!

:lmao

EricB
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't know... I can't say I know about his whole body of work as far as NBA coverage but I believe the last time I listened to him was when he interviewed David Stern about the Amare/Diaw suspensions in what amounted to a 20-minute temper tantrum.

I remember that interview like it was yesterday. It was about noon central time the day of the game 5 I believe, and DP was just going OFF on Stern.

Stern was calmly explaining the rule and DP kept going "there could be an exception here!!"

Stern kept having to remind him, "If I give exceptions here, where do we stop the next time?"

That being said, I still like Dan Patrick's show, hes a bit big market heavy, but hes good non the less.

Taco
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Dry Toast = Dan Patrick :sleep

baseline bum
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Duncan = BRHornet45???

neboat
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
You can listen to the Kevin Love bits here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

vander
02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Cowherd fucking sucks.

how so?

EricB
02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Dry Toast = Dan Patrick :sleep

Sorry I disagree.

I think his group of three around him, and him being a little more loose now that hes out from under the ESPN umbrella have made his show even better.

His trio of guys with him on the show are hilarious. It really is an enjoyable show now.

It sucks for people like me that do business on the west coast in the summer however and his show starts at 6 am and ends at 9.

PM5K
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I heard the interview, maybe something gets lots going from tv to radio, but I didn't hear him "flustered" or "floored" about anything.

EricB
02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
how so?

While I think Colin is very intelligent and his show can be entertaining from time to time hes too one subject centric.

Its all football football football with Colin, and while I understand that college football is his favorite sport and hes said this many times, you have to IMO to be a great sports radio host, not show over favoritism to nothing but one sport. IMO you have to show that your a fan of all sports because that to me might disenfranchise any one fan of one sport.

To me Colin isn't a big fan of NBA basketball so he just pulls party lines and gives standard ESPN answers and positions on things.

Of course he had the one outrageous opinion that Tim Duncan wasn't a superstar due to the TV ratings are low for his games, and jersey sales. I think he abandoned that position, but at the time it was such a horrible position I stopped listening to him all together and really haven't listened to him since.

FreeMason
02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Do you ever listen to this guy (DP)?

He effin talks like he has a stick up his ass, totally ass-kissing Kobe and Lebron like they walk on water. Kobe and Lebron have zero Finals MVPs in 17 seasons, while Duncan has 3 in 11 seasons.

Duncan performs on the big stage, not Kobe and Lebron.

Patrick has spent it seems like a whole week now talking about steroids with his big government corporate ass-kissing that never stops. He be good at the next Salem witch-hunt. He needs a big needle stuck up his a-roid a-hole!

:lmao

I've only listened to him for the last 2 years. I remember him defending Tim Duncan being the best big man over Shaq in the post-jordan era.

Cowherd is HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE anti-south/Texas bias and dogs small markets every time I catch his show.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Update - Patrick was about to interview Steve Nash, but I missed that. Wonder what came up?

He probably was talking about his emotions or something and about how he misses his BFF, aka he misses Raja's dick in his ass.

EricB
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I've only listened to him for the last 2 years. I remember him defending Tim Duncan being the better big man over Shaq last year.

Yeah, Dan Patrick is pretty diverse in his sports knowledge, and while hes a big Kobe Lebron guy, he gives proper 'spect to Duncan and the Spurs.

EricB
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
He probably was talking about his emotions or something and about how he misses his BFF, aka he misses Raja's dick in his ass.

Actually it was a pretty good interview. Steve sounded pretty down about alot of things, and was funny at times.

Steve Nash for me is a real conflicting character lol.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Actually it was a pretty good interview. Steve sounded pretty down about alot of things, and was funny at times.

Steve Nash for me is a real conflicting character lol.

He's a pussy. That's all there is to it. I want both him and Amare traded, they are both useless unless they are the 1st and 2nd option of the team.

EricB
02-11-2009, 03:21 PM
He's a pussy. That's all there is to it. I want both him and Amare traded, they are both useless unless they are the 1st and 2nd option of the team.

Pretty flippant attitude about a guy that turned the Suns franchise around along with Amare to make them one of the best teams in the past 6 years.

Short memories in the land of the sun apparently.

Solid D
02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Wasn't Dan Patrick the one on the podium with the mic in Cleveland after the Spurs swept the Cavs, giving Timmy and the boys the Larry O'Brien? Seems like he was the one talking to Finley also about winning his first and Fin said he was going to sleep with the trophy. :lol

EricB
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Wasn't Dan Patrick the one on the podium with the mic in Cleveland after the Spurs swept the Cavs, giving Timmy and the boys the Larry O'Brien? Seems like he was the one talking to Finley also about winning his first and Fin said he was going to sleep with the trophy. :lol

He was he was. I was hoping at the time someone would bring up to him about how anti spur he was at the Phoenix series, but alas, they probobly didn't know.

vander
02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
While I think Colin is very intelligent and his show can be entertaining from time to time hes too one subject centric.

Its all football football football with Colin, and while I understand that college football is his favorite sport and hes said this many times, you have to IMO to be a great sports radio host, not show over favoritism to nothing but one sport. IMO you have to show that your a fan of all sports because that to me might disenfranchise any one fan of one sport.

To me Colin isn't a big fan of NBA basketball so he just pulls party lines and gives standard ESPN answers and positions on things.

Of course he had the one outrageous opinion that Tim Duncan wasn't a superstar due to the TV ratings are low for his games, and jersey sales. I think he abandoned that position, but at the time it was such a horrible position I stopped listening to him all together and really haven't listened to him since.

yeah, I love College Football and the NFL most as well, so IMO there's no such thing as spending too much time on them.

and honestly, if not for the Spurs and TD and DRob, I probably wouldn't give a shit about the NBA. if you've seen one dunk and chest thump, you've seen them all, I have no interest watching today's NBA "superstars"
(except Nash and maybe Kobe, they've got skills beyond just jumping and quickness and such)

urunobili
02-11-2009, 04:20 PM
yeah, I love College Football and the NFL most as well, so IMO there's no such thing as spending too much time on them.

and honestly, if not for the Spurs and TD and DRob, I probably wouldn't give a shit about the NBA. if you've seen one dunk and chest thump, you've seen them all, I have no interest watching today's NBA "superstars"
(except Nash and maybe Kobe, they've got skills beyond just jumping and quickness and such)

so you don;t like watching Manu Ginobili play and you like Nash? i want some of that dope!

vander
02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
so you don;t like watching Manu Ginobili play and you like Nash? i want some of that dope!

:lol you'd be singing a different tune if Nash was Argentinian and Manu Canadian :lol

Nathan Explosion
02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Dan Patrick is actually more entertaining than he was with ESPN. I hated him with ESPN. Now though, he sheds a lot of light on how the 4 letter network works, and it explains a lot about the people who work for it.

Simmons has made mention that he can't do anyone's radio show unless they work for ESPN. Dan says he can't get any ESPN personality on his show because of it, and when he did get someone, he joked that they would be fired the next day.

Colin Cowherd has his good days and bad days. Mostly bad though imo, but not totally unredeemable. If you want nothing but football and baseball talk, listen to Chris Meyers or the guys on FSR that Dan Patrick replaced here in SA.

JT the Brick can be entertaining quite often. Tirico and Van Pelt are so-so.

As for local, don't get me started on Chris Duel. Everytime I hear him whine and moan and pull the "whoa is me" drama about the Spurs, I always think about Ricky Bobby: "I had no idea that you had an experimental surgery to have your balls removed."

The show itself is decent, but when Duel starts that, I turn on the commercials before Mike Taylor comes on.

cnyc3
02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
:lol you'd be singing a different tune if Nash was Argentinian and Manu Canadian :lol

i'll take that trade :downspin:

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I detest Cowherd and won't listen to him. At one point after 1250 brought ESPN radio to town, I listened to him go off on some diatribe about not being willing to watch anything that wasn't the bright, shiny object -- Lakers (even when they weren't very good), Yankees, USC football, etc . . . -- and that he didn't really care about anything other than those things. I'm not really into all-Lakers, all-Yankees, all-USC radio, so I found something else.

Not my cup of tea.

Universe
02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Kevin Love is so ghetto.

Galileo
02-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Patrick was again whining this morning that the Pro Bowl out rating'd the Kobe/Lebron love fest.

Well, what do you expect?

The NBA could have promoted the Spurs/Celtics game, a matchup of the last two champs and six hall-of-fame players (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Garnett, Pierce, Allen).

Instead, it promoted a game with two hall-of-fame players, with one team with no ring since 2002, the other having never won a finals game. A game with a sick superstar and another who stunk up the joint with 5-20 shooting.

And the Spurs/Celtics game did not oppose football, so you could have drawn in an audience, then held it during a great game and carried much of the audience over to game 2.

m33p0
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
first time i heard mention of duncan talking smack to opponents. i find it hard to believe unless he was playing halo or paintball guns.