PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi Surgery Update

GoGatos
02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
In an email to Ticket760's Mike Taylor Tuesday afternoon, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Mahinmi's surgery went well and they were able to fix the ankle issue that was "prohibiting progress through rehab." He also hinted that the initial prognosis that Mahinmi would be out for the year was premature, stating Mahinmi's return this season "is not out of the realm of possibility."

Still don't think he'll be much of a factor this season, but good to know Mahinmi isn't as seriously injured as we originally thought.

hater
02-11-2009, 01:49 PM
wow

benefactor
02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
There is not point in trying to bring him back for the playoffs, even if he is ready. He has lost too much time and he would make no more impact than any D-League big we would bring in. Put him on the shelf and wait for the summer.

tp2021
02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
There is not point in trying to bring him back for the playoffs, even if he is ready. He has lost too much time and he would make no more impact than any D-League big we would bring in. Put him on the shelf and wait for the summer.

Well, one difference being he knows the system. But Pops would probably be the most logical option since he will have experience in the system with the Toros.

benefactor
02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, one difference being he knows the system. But Pops would probably be the most logical option since he will have experience in the system with the Toros.
Agreed. I just don't want him to try to hurry back thinking he might get to join the team this year. I would rather have him fully healthy and ready to give it another go next season.

I. Hustle
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Who cares? I already gave up on that baguette.

Chomag
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM

I don't know, I see what you are saying though. I think there are alot of available minutes for him to get into game shape baring in mind if we can not land another contributing big. Timmy can always use 4-5 less minutes plus a bit of Kurt's and Oberto's minutes mixed in. There is still at least 10-15 minutes available for a big right now IMO.

I don't really think it would hurt to try him out with those minutes but if he is not making much of it Pop can all ways take him out of the rotation for the playoffs.

SenorSpur
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I would be very, very surprised if Pop decided to put him on the playoff roster, much less give him anytime.

I still believe the Spurs will look for a short-term, inexpensive big for the balance of this season.

However, if they can't find one........who knows?

Brazil
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Good news, I'm happy for Ian it is a relief for him to know what was wrong and to know that can be fixed.
I didn't expect to see him play this season maybe some garbage times but he will be ready for 2010.

yavozerb
02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
RC just saying that so Ian does not lose any trade value.

RiverwalkParade
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I've heard discussions about this player in the forum before.

How about this scenario

Vaughn, Udoka and Mahinmi

for

Ryan Gomes

I have always liked Gomes and wished he was drafted years ago when he was still on the board. The deal gives Minnesota two expirings and a young guy to compliment Jefferson in the paint when he gets back. If Ian is as good as we think he could be, that would make for a force in the paint for MN

MoSpur
02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I am still very curious to see how he plays next to Tim.

urunobili
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Pops should be signed...

Obstructed_View
02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Do the Spurs have a roster spot for Pops?

Bartleby
02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Do the Spurs have a roster spot for Pops?

Yes

exstatic
02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I would be very, very surprised if Pop decided to put him on the playoff roster, much less give him anytime.

I still believe the Spurs will look for a short-term, inexpensive big for the balance of this season.

However, if they can't find one........who knows?

It's been at least a couple of years, but there are no longer any "playoff rosters". You go with 15, and activate 12 per game, same as the regular season.

DynastyBuilder
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/ian_mahinmi_surgery_090131.html

San Antonio Spurs center Ian Mahinmi (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ian_mahinmi/index.html) yesterday underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his right ankle. The surgery was performed in Los Angeles by Dr. Richard Ferkel.

During the surgery a small piece of avulsed bone was removed from Mahimni’s ankle. During activity, the bone was becoming entrapped in the medial aspect of the ankle, leading to persistent pain. The surgery revealed no other cartilage defects throughout the ankle or distal tibia.

Mahinmi originally injured the ankle while working out on 8/4. He had yet to appear for the Spurs this season due to the injury.

Mahinmi is expected to miss 6-10 weeks

m33p0
02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
well, well, well. that's good news indeed! ian has an understanding of the system. hopefully when the foot is fully healed, he's also in shape - which will be a long shot.

Manufan909
02-12-2009, 01:20 AM
I hope Ian heals in the next month, maybe he could get some solid minutes with Fab not getting consistent PT, I thought he'd heal reasonably fast after the real problem was actually found. Hopefully everyone remembers 5 yrs from now that he was only hurt for so long cuz the real problem was never found.

EricB
02-12-2009, 01:22 AM
If hes gonna play, spurs should look to add another scoring wing to the bench

Yeah because thats what a team with 4 or 5 wings needs, is another wing.

boutons_
02-12-2009, 01:25 AM
We don't need him to score, just make his rotations, rebound, block out will produce plenty of possesions and points for us and less for them.

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Who cares? I already gave up on that baguette.

yeh that :toast

The Truth #6
02-12-2009, 01:47 AM
If he's healthy and we don't acquire a better big through a trade then I see no reason to withhold him from the roster.

Right now our big man rotation is only 3 players. 3. That's like a playoff rotation. And only two of them can rebound.

I know Oberto is still around but it's not like he's a legitimate part of our rotation. Given our current situation, I don't see how or why we would devise arguments to keep him off the roster when the whole challenge has been to get him on the roster.

Austin_Toros
02-12-2009, 01:49 AM
*sigh*
let the wait for Mahinmi begin yet again...

Bring in MENSAH-BONSU.

pickemup!
02-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Anyone remember that one game when he had about 3 dunks in a few minutes of action, then sat down because didn't have enough stamina?

Always wanted to see those highlights but never remembered what game it was.

timvp
02-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Anyone remember that one game when he had about 3 dunks in a few minutes of action, then sat down because didn't have enough stamina?
Welcome to the forum, Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

pickemup!
02-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Gracias.

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Always wanted to see those highlights but never remembered what game it was.

It was against the Bucks on 11/11/07

10 MIN
12 PTS
4-7 FG 57.1% FG
4-4 FT
2 BLK
0 STL
1 DREB
1 AST
2 TO

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
It's at least a little bit of good news, if nothing else for Mahinmi himself, and can be used as an insurance plan D if plans A, B, and C don't pan out, and if (god forbid!) either Bonner, Thomas, or Oberto get injured before the playoffs begin.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
It was against the Bucks on 11/11/07

10 MIN
12 PTS
4-7 FG 57.1% FG
4-4 FT
2 BLK
0 STL
1 DREB
1 AST
2 TO

Damn, I wish he'd gotten a real chance that year.

PDXSpursFan
02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
yeah right, pop will play a roockie who comes from a surgery and haven't play an official game in what???(i really dont know how long since he played the last time) in the freekin playoffs!!
C'mon you guys, ian's season is over. Time to start all over again next season for him.

+1

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Damn, I wish he'd gotten a real chance that year.

I think he could do pretty well.

So far he only has 23 minutes of NBA playing time. In that time he has these stats...

6-12 FG 50% FG%
9-9 FT
4 BLK
5 DREB
1 AST
2 TO
0 STL

If his production is anything like this in one game when he has 23 minutes, he can be a monster. His rebounding could get better, but his blocks are nice. Another plus is it looks like the man can hit free throws. Usually if you can hit free throws you should have a decent jumper. I don't recall seeing him take one though.

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
yeah right, Pop will play a roockie Who comes from a surgery and haven't play an official game in what???(I really dont know how long since He played the last time) in the freekin playoffs!!
C'mon you guys, Ian's season is over. Time to start all over again next season for him.

I think if he is able to contribute this year he should. With him being inserted into the lineup so late could possibly throw off other teams game plans during the playoffs. He has practiced with the Spurs a bit and learned the system in Austin. The only issue would be if his presence on the court could affect the team chemistry.

In short, if he does good, its a bonus.
If he does badly, don't play him and go back to the regular rotation.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I think if he is able to contribute this year he should. With him being inserted into the lineup so late could possibly throw off other teams game plans during the playoffs. He has practiced with the Spurs a bit and learned the system in Austin. The only issue would be if his presence on the court could affect the team chemistry.

In short, if he does good, its a bonus.
If he does badly, don't play him and go back to the regular rotation.

Yeah, just give him a chance as soon as he heals. Can't wait for another update, hopefully he's healed in the next few weeks.

Ten weeks left, so if he can be healthy in 3, he'll have around 21 games to prove himself. He can't be much worse than KT, and I think he'd be the best big to put on Gasol, after Timmy of course.

tav1
02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Can't be much worse than KT? Huh? Thomas is playing well and is a tip-top defender.

Sigz
02-17-2009, 07:11 PM
He won't see any playing time...

Bruno
02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
For people reading French, an interview of Ian :
http://www.ballerlife.com/index.php?op=article&artl_id=184

urunobili
02-17-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks Bruno :tu you should have a spur next to that money sign :toast

sonic21
02-17-2009, 07:49 PM

thanks

Bruno
02-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks Bruno :tu you should have a spur next to that money sign :toast

thanks.

The interview isn't that interesting but a quick summary :
Ian talk of his childhood. He hasn't dream of the NBA because he was a soccer guy. He started to play BB 7 years ago and enjoyed it more than soccer very quickly.
He talked also about the draft and say the usual things.
He is saying that his current goal is to be back at 100% again and a stint in D-League will help him to reach that goal.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Can't be much worse than KT? Huh? Thomas is playing well and is a tip-top defender.

I'm talking abut his specific advantage against quicker bigs.

Bruno
02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/CHRONIQUE_NBA_220209.html

Mahinmi is rebounding

Olivier Pheulpin
February 22nd 2009

Ian Mahinmi is going better, even way better. Mentally wise and also a little physically wise. His right ankle surgery is now behind him but he hasn't given up on the whole season. After the removal of two bones fragment, that were invisible on all MRIs and X-Rays made since last summer, Spurs' french bigman hasn't said his last word. He intends to be again a basketball player this year. "I don't want to rush things but doctors told me 8 to 12 weeks and I hope it will be 8. I would like to be back in April before the end of the regular season to play a little basketball. I want to be at 100% healthy to play these few games."

After a surgery made last January 30th by Richard Ferkel, the same surgeon that has worked on Manu Ginobili's ankle, Mahinmi is lifting weights again and is going to remove his protective boot soon. "I've a big self confidence. All the things that happened to me have made me think a lot. I'm now stronger in my head, more mature. Fatalism, this isn't for me. Each athlete has his rough period. I hope that mine is now behind me. Then basketball isn't something magical. It is based on work and I will work more than ever. Furthermore, Spurs have a true plan for me. They fully trust me."

Even on one ankle, The young (22 years old) frenchman is still, and by far, the most athletic Spurs player. And he could also be a part of plans of French NT future coach, even if Mahinmi's schedule will be quite full. "I will play a lot this summer. Spurs will ask me to do so and I hope French NT will do the same. If I would like to avoid to go back to the Las Vegas camp (where he had his injury last summer), but I will play everywhere else. I don't take holidays. My schedule is playing basketball and playing basketball."

Bender
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
he's got a good work ethic...

or as tdmvpdpoy would say: his got a good work ethic...

tav1
02-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for posting this, Bruno. We always appreciate it.

xtremesteven33
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Are people still expecting much from this guy?

SenorSpur
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/CHRONIQUE_NBA_220209.html

Mahinmi is reboudning

Olivier Pheulpin
February 22nd 2009

Ian Mahinmi is going better, even way better. Mentally wise and also a little physically wise. His right ankle surgery is now behind him but he hasn't given up on the whole season. After the removal of two bones fragment, that were invisible on all MRIs and X-Rays made since last summer, Spurs' french bigman hasn't said his last word. He intends to be again a basketball player this year. "I don't want to rush things but doctors told me 8 to 12 weeks and I hope it will be 8. I would like to be back in April before the end of the regular season to play a little basketball. I want to be at 100% healthy to play these few games."

After a surgery made last January 30th by Richard Ferkel, the same surgeon that has worked on Manu Ginobili's ankle, Mahinmi is lifting weights again and is going to remove his protective boot soon. "I've a big self confidence. All the things that happened to me have made me think a lot. I'm now stronger in my head, more mature. Fatalism, this isn't for me. Each athlete has his rough period. I hope that mine is now behind me. Then basketball isn't something magical. It is based on work and I will work more than ever. Furthermore, Spurs have a true plan for me. They fully trust me."

Even on one ankle, The young (22 years old) frenchman is still, and by far, the most athletic Spurs player. And he could also be a part of plans of French NT future coach, even if Mahinmi's schedule will be quite full. "I will play a lot this summer. Spurs will ask me to do so and I hope French NT will do the same. If I would like to avoid to go back to the Las Vegas camp (where he had his injury last summer), but I will play everywhere else. I don't take holidays. My schedule is playing basketball and playing basketball."

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

benefactor
02-23-2009, 11:39 AM
It's good that he wants to play, but having him play the last few games is pretty pointless IMO. Healthy or not, he will not be on the playoff roster.

I still feel like we let him take as long as needed to get completely healthy then let him work hard during the summer. Speaking of the summer, I find his comment about not wanting to play in Vegas interesting. Many of us thought he played in the SL last year like he wasn't interested in being there. This could possibly confirm some of that.

TBQH, he needs to do whatever he is told to do over the summer and work his ass off at it. What he does or does not want to do matters little at this point. He needs to work hard at everything and show the staff that he is willing to do whatever it takes to be a part of this team going forward.

Bruno
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I still feel like we let him take as long as needed to get completely healthy then let him work hard during the summer. Speaking of the summer, I find his comment about not wanting to play in Vegas interesting. Many of us thought he played in the SL last year like he wasn't interested in being there. This could possibly confirm some of that.

The article in French isn't very explicit but I don't think he is talking about the Las Vegas summer league.
Ian injured his ankle last summer in Las Vegas but not during the July summer league but during Tim Grgurich's camp in August.
IMO, what the is saying is that he doesn't want to do Tim Grgurich's camp this summer. It could be because they didn't managed well his injury last summer and/or because this camp is quite "dangerous" for players health (Sixers' Jason Smith also blew his knee in this camp last summer).

tp2021
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
It's good that he wants to play, but having him play the last few games is pretty pointless IMO. Healthy or not, he will not be on the playoff roster.

Isn't the "playoff roster" the same as the regular season roster now? 12 active, 3 inactive that can be changed before the game?

benefactor
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Ahh...ok. That is understandable then. Thanks for the clarification.

benefactor
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Isn't the "playoff roster" the same as the regular season roster now? 12 active, 3 inactive that can be changed before the game?
I believe so, but I still think even keeping him on the inactive roster is pointless. He will have had very little time with the team, so there will be no chemistry and he won't be in game shape. I would rather him not rush back and work in the summer to get where he needs to be.

tp2021
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I believe so, but I still think even keeping him on the inactive roster is pointless.

so you want to cut him?

Manufan909
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I think he should be IR, so in case the Spurs damn near sweep a team(win first 3), he should be activated, and given 5-8 mins along side TD, TP, and Manu. Just to get his feet wet. He should be ready by late April/early May, so he should have a few games to play. Hopefully the last 1-5 games are pointless(no chance of catching LA, no chance of the Nuggets taking the #2 seed) , and Pop just throws him out there.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I believe so, but I still think even keeping him on the inactive roster is pointless. He will have had very little time with the team, so there will be no chemistry and he won't be in game shape. I would rather him not rush back and work in the summer to get where he needs to be.

I'm guessing that you don't actually want to cut him, even though that's exactly how your post reads. He knows the offense and the defense, and he won't play in a game until he's in shape to do so. If he can get back and play some games before the end of the regular season, he's going to be able to contribute. Having an athletic seven footer who can rebound and block shots is going to be a positive, regardless of whether or not the Spurs pick up another player between now and April.

Spurs Brazil
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Good to see Ian wants to comeback soon. It'd be easy for him to wait until the summer but he wants to play in a NBA game. I hope he can play 5 games or so at the end of regular season

benefactor
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
No, I don't want to cut him. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

I just don't want him suiting up for the playoffs. With the limited time he has seen this season there is no reason to have him with the team.

tp2021
02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
No, I don't want to cut him. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

I just don't want him suiting up for the playoffs. With the limited time he has seen this season there is no reason to have him with the team.

You mean no reason to play him in the playoffs?

ChumpDumper
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
It's good that he wants to play, but having him play the last few games is pretty pointless IMO. Healthy or not, he will not be on the playoff roster.If he is fit to play there is nothing wrong with his playing for the Toros in April.

tav1
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
If he is fit to play there is nothing wrong with his playing for the Toros in April.

He's indicated another rehab stint with the Toros is in his future. I think Pop and Buford would be happy if Ian could play some D-League by the end of the season. I doubt they find any Spurs court time for him.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 04:19 PM
If he is fit to play there is nothing wrong with his playing for the Toros in April.

Yeah, he'll certainly be getting minutes in Austin as soon as he's physically cleared to do so. Once he's gotten his game legs back, and barring a setback, I'm not sure why anyone would be reluctant to have him back with the Spurs. If everyone's healthy and nobody else is picked up then there'll only be two players that won't suit up, and you have your choice of Vaughn, Udoka and Hairston for that. I'd put a healthy Ian up there with any of those three value-wise.

wildbill2u
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Some big men are just like race horses. Their legs and feet are so fragile that they can have problems of one kind or another all the time which limit their game and sometimes their careers.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Some big men are just like race horses. Their legs and feet are so fragile that they can have problems of one kind or another all the time which limit their game and sometimes their careers.

And some human beings can severely sprain an ankle and have bone chips that aren't detected.

Seriously, folks, don't try to over-think this one. It's actually as simple as it looks.

benefactor
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Ok, let me be perfectly clear to avoid any FURTHER confusion.

I would much rather him not play any sort of organized basketball this year. I would rather him shut it down and rest the ankle instead of trying to come back as quickly as possible just to play a few games. I just don't see how he can help this team at all this year coming back in April after he has been out the whole season. He is not a player like Manu, where you can just give him 5 or 6 games to get his legs under him and he is ready to go. He needed this season for developmental purposes and he lost the whole thing. Now he wants to come back to just play a few games at the end and risk more injury?

Shut it down Ian. You can show us you are the savior next year.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not a doctor, but if they got all the bone fragments out, I don't see any problem with his playing after recovering from the surgery.

Manufan909
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
And some human beings can severely sprain an ankle and have bone chips that aren't detected.

Seriously, folks, don't try to over-think this one. It's actually as simple as it looks.

If no one can remember that now, then no one will remember ever. Poor Ian, he'll have ignorant fools dissing him the rest of his days.

Thomas82
02-24-2009, 12:05 AM

I thought the NBA did away with playoff rosters.

Manufan909
02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I think Fab would replace him, texas. How the hell do you think Ian will pass up both Fab AND KT on the depth chart?

benefactor
02-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm not a doctor, but if they got all the bone fragments out, I don't see any problem with his playing after recovering from the surgery.
After not playing all season, I don't see how he can be of any help. If he can't help this team what is the point of letting him play a few meaningless games at the end of the year?

Harry Callahan
02-24-2009, 06:48 AM
This is the biggest bummer of the year. I think Ian could have really improved the bench strength this year with his athletic ability. Let's face it, the front line isn't terribly athletic across the board.

Just remember, Ian should be a senior in college, so he can be our unofficial 1st round pick next year (along with the official #1 in 05).

Man, four years waiting, that's a pretty long time.

mystargtr34
02-24-2009, 06:53 AM
After not playing all season, I don't see how he can be of any help. If he can't help this team what is the point of letting him play a few meaningless games at the end of the year?

Depends, if he comes back with 5 games before the playoffs then he probably wont play at all during the playoffs. If he comes back with 10-15 games to go and shows something, anything - then its worth a shot.

bobbybob0
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Maybe becaus these games are meaningless and it could, at the very least, help him for next year if not the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
After not playing all season, I don't see how he can be of any help. If he can't help this team what is the point of letting him play a few meaningless games at the end of the year?If they are meaningless, what's the harm?

Manufan909
02-24-2009, 01:00 PM
If they're meaningless, Pop damn well better not take benefactors' stance, or I'll... do nothing.:p:

benefactor
02-24-2009, 01:08 PM
If they are meaningless, what's the harm?
After seeing him injured all year long, I'd rather not take any sort of unnecessary risk, i.e. playing in games that don't mean anything. I guess I am just feeling extra cautious after all that has happened.

Manufan909
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Too lazy to check your math, but unless he is mini-Dwight in 5+ games before the POs, he won't make it. And I think Fab will get minutes. Hopefully he and KT really compete and play better than they have this season.

And isn't Fab coming back next year? I thought only Imes'(JV?) contract expired this year.

Thompson
02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
And isn't Fab coming back next year? I thought only Imes'(JV?) contract expired this year.

Fab's is only partially guaranteed. I'm still hoping there's a buyout this summer for Splitter's contract (I read one report that there was, but I've been unable to find additional evidence of a buyout existing).

Splitter Thomas Mahinmi
Duncan Bonner (G.S.'s 2nd)
Bowen Finley Gist
Mason Ginobili Hairston
Parker Hill (Vaughn 1-year?)

If we were able to have this lineup, I think small forward would be our greatest need in the draft due to the age of Bowen and Finley. It would be nice if we could grab Omri Casspi if he fell low enough (though we might have to package a couple of picks to move up a few spots).

Manufan909
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Good lineup, but I think Hairston is more of a 3, he def plays bigger than he is, by at least 2". That makes him 6'7".:P