PDA

View Full Version : Maggette travels 6 times on 1 play

sook
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_ljDfevB0&eurl=http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=162400

DAF86
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_ljDfevB0&eurl=http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=162400

:lol NBA refs are a joke.

sribb43
02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
:lmao...and he still turned the ball over:lol

sook
02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
yea NBA reffs are fucking stupid

jack sommerset
02-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Thats was terrible.

Dario
02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Unbeliavable... :(

Ill Cosby
02-11-2009, 05:09 PM
LMAO @ him Suge Knight'n dude with the headlock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYpuVJ6WcRc

nkdlunch
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
dude sucks

byrdman31
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
thats turrrrrable kenny

TheMACHINE
02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
wow...he should have kept doing that and see if he can walk his way back to the 3 point line for a triple.

PM5K
02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
What's crazier are the people trying to say it's common.

I watch a ton of NBA basketball and sure there is some pivot foot switching, and a lot of other things that would technically be a travel that aren't normally called, but this was petty blatant, he literally moved a few FEET back without dribbling the ball....

I like the guy that says:

"how is that 6 travels. I thought it was 3 steps for a travel?"

I THINK HE WAS THE REF ON THE VIDEO

pauls931
02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
yea NBA reffs are fucking stupid

no, just following orders.

sribb43
02-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Which is worse?

4D9Z1wAwQtM

sook
02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Which is worse?

4D9Z1wAwQtM

:lol

Obstructed_View
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Both of those are freaking hilarious.

Kamnik
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
omfg

those refs should be fired

incredible...

TheMACHINE
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
this:
hH73R9GIbXg

pawe
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
James pulled an Usain Bolt. :lol

Obstructed_View
02-12-2009, 03:34 AM
this:
hH73R9GIbXg

That's one extra step. You might see that once every other game. What Majerle and Maggs did are just brainfarts by everyone involved.

KidCongo
02-12-2009, 03:37 AM
this:

Laker fans still trying to demote James.:sleep

Imagine if that kind of travel occured in the finals.

ata
02-12-2009, 03:40 AM
Traveling and NBA - neverending story. Number of steps one may commit depens on star status.

PM5K
02-12-2009, 04:47 AM
That's one extra step.

LMMFATFO...

I didn't know you were an NBA ref....

Obstructed_View
02-12-2009, 05:03 AM
LMMFATFO...

I didn't know you were an NBA ref....

And Spurstalk didn't know you couldn't count until now.

MI21
02-12-2009, 06:47 AM
The Maggete and Majerle ones is ridiculous. The LeBron one just posted is a pet hate of mine. Iverson, Wade and Kobe are the worst at getting away with that. It's particularly bad when one of them is running the wing on a fast break and gets a huge advantage by getting a step or two in without dribbling.

Chieflion
02-12-2009, 08:55 AM
I was thinking of Majerle's 7 step shuffle feet crap when I saw the title and LeBron's catch the ball run 5 steps dribble and travel again for the dunk.

JonG
02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Amazing. NBA refs truly are pathetic.

That's one extra step. You might see that once every other game.
Depends on what game. Ginobili gets away with it 2-3 times a game.

ElNono
02-12-2009, 09:08 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2otPx0nEs24/SKnrBbXBbkI/AAAAAAAAChA/1JDFj8Lx2GI/s400/BABY_CRYING.gif

JonG
02-12-2009, 09:24 AM
^Is that a picture of Ginobili after someone grazes him? I don't get it.

ElNono
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
^Is that a picture of Ginobili after someone grazes him? I don't get it.

I'll give you the flopping. But singling out Ginobili for traveling is a travesty. I could probably find 500 Lebron 'crab step move' videos before I find one Manu travel. Ginobili just takes a very long second step. He actually comes from Euro ball, where travel is called a lot more than in the NBA.

JonG
02-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I'll give you the flopping. But singling out Ginobili for traveling is a travesty. I could probably find 500 Lebron 'crab step move' videos before I find one Manu travel. Ginobili just takes a very long second step. He actually comes from Euro ball, where travel is called a lot more than in the NBA.

I'm not defending LeBron here, but as a Ginobili hater, I watch for his traveling violations. He seems to drive to the basket from the 3-pt line taking 3 1/2 steps in the process with regularity. He knows he plays in the NBA where it goes uncalled so he uses it.

When you play alongside someone like Bowen, you quickly learn that rules in the NBA are meant to be broken, as long as the referees and league office look the other way. Bowen has made a career off of that philosophy.

tlongII
02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
We play Maggette's Warriors tonight. Somebody needs to send that video to the league right now! That is just ridiculous!

Bartleby
02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not defending LeBron here, but as a Ginobili hater, I watch for his traveling violations. He seems to drive to the basket from the 3-pt line taking 3 1/2 steps in the process with regularity. He knows he plays in the NBA where it goes uncalled so he uses it.

Some video backing this up would be more convincing.

IronMexican
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
We play Maggette's Warriors tonight. Somebody needs to send that video to the league right now! That is just ridiculous!

:lol

JamStone
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think it was that bad. It was a travel, yes. I wouldn't say it's common. But, players get away with similar stuff from time to time. Let's just say what Maggette did isn't something that happens only once a season. Players shuffle feet and switch pivots and get away with it.

I'm not defending officiating at all. But, here's how I see it. The Maggette travel is a situation where he really didn't gain an advantage. I think that's a main point in calling a violation or infraction. That's why players get away with carrying the ball when they dribble all the time. But, when the carry actually gives them an advantage against a defender, the percentage of when it's called goes up.

Maggette walked. I don't think it was that egregious, especially because it gave him no advantage.

tlongII
02-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't think it was that bad. It was a travel, yes. I wouldn't say it's common. But, players get away with similar stuff from time to time. Let's just say what Maggette did isn't something that happens only once a season. Players shuffle feet and switch pivots and get away with it.

I'm not defending officiating at all. But, here's how I see it. The Maggette travel is a situation where he really didn't gain an advantage. I think that's a main point in calling a violation or infraction. That's why players get away with carrying the ball when they dribble all the time. But, when the carry actually gives them an advantage against a defender, the percentage of when it's called goes up.

Maggette walked. I don't think it was that egregious, especially because it gave him no advantage.

:lmao WTF? He switched from having his back to the basket to facing the basket all because of travelling. That definitely gives him an advantage. If you're allowed to travel like that you can't be trapped or double-teamed.

JamStone
02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
On that play, it gave him no advantage because he didn't use the travel to get by his defender. Obviously, it gave him no advantage because he turned the ball over anyway.

TheMACHINE
02-12-2009, 01:07 PM
That's one extra step. You might see that once every other game. What Majerle and Maggs did are just brainfarts by everyone involved.

You are not allowed to take steps prior to dribbling which means that Lebron took WAY more than one extra step...more like 3-4.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
You are not allowed to take steps prior to dribbling which means that Lebron took WAY more than one extra step...more like 3-4.

You also aren't required to dribble if you don't have possession of the ball. Lebron tips the ball and runs, catches it, takes one extra step before beginning his dribble and then doesn't travel when he goes up for the dunk. He took three steps but you can take two without dribbling, so it's one extra step. It's clearly traveling, but the NBA isn't going to call it on a guy who makes a play for a breakaway anyway. I saw someone make a steal at the top of the key once and dribbled the ball one time from there to the opposite rim.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
On that play, it gave him no advantage because he didn't use the travel to get by his defender. Obviously, it gave him no advantage because he turned the ball over anyway.

But you know they would have whistled that if they'd actually seen it. They don't make that evaluation if they see you switch your pivot foot.

TheMACHINE
02-12-2009, 01:22 PM
You also aren't required to dribble if you don't have possession of the ball. Lebron tips the ball and runs, catches it, takes one extra step before beginning his dribble and then doesn't travel when he goes up for the dunk. He took three steps but you can take two without dribbling, so it's one extra step. It's clearly traveling, but the NBA isn't going to call it on a guy who makes a play for a breakaway anyway. I saw someone make a steal at the top of the key once and dribbled the ball one time from there to the opposite rim.

dude...he catches it and takes 3 steps..watch it again...

JamStone
02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
But you know they would have whistled that if they'd actually seen it. They don't make that evaluation if they see you switch your pivot foot.

Difference of opinion, I guess. I think they saw it. How do all three officials not see that? I think if Maggette blows by the defender for a lay-up, they call it.

DAF86
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Amazing. NBA refs truly are pathetic.

WTF? FIBA players rarely walk.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2009, 04:37 PM
dude...he catches it and takes 3 steps..watch it again...
Dude...if he'd taken two steps before starting his dribble it wouldn't have been traveling. 3-2=1 extra step. It only takes the one extra step for the violation to become blatant, which is why it looks so bad. Considering it's a guy who thinks he should get away with an extra step in the lane, it's hardly surprising he'd have done that anyway.

TheMACHINE
02-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Dude...if he'd taken two steps before starting his dribble it wouldn't have been traveling. 3-2=1 extra step. It only takes the one extra step for the violation to become blatant, which is why it looks so bad. Considering it's a guy who thinks he should get away with an extra step in the lane, it's hardly surprising he'd have done that anyway.

wow man..i honestly thought you were pretty knowledgeable about basketball.

So you are saying that anyone can catch the ball, take two steps, then dribble?!

Can someone chime in on this rule?

dickface
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM

So you are saying that anyone can catch the ball, take two steps, then dribble?!

If you're on the move I believe you can, but not from a standing position. Or something like that.

PM5K
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Travel

Obstructed_View
02-12-2009, 07:25 PM

If you start your dribble before what was your plant foot comes back down then that's two steps before the ball hits the floor, and players do it dozens of times in every basketball game on the planet and it's not called traveling. Lebron took a complete step with both hands on the ball before beginning that motion, but part of getting away with those kinds of travels is by not looking awkward while committing them.

JonG
02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
WTF? FIBA players rarely walk.

Unfortunately, Ginobili is an NBA player and has a history of abusing referee incompetence.

sook
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
i don't think you should point out Ginobili, i think you should point out qeen james, he travels so much but usually finishes with amazing craftsmenship that the refs rarely call it