PDA

View Full Version : Pops deflects critics, runs Spurs show his way (CBSsports.com)

kace
02-11-2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11362096

Pops deflects critics, runs Spurs show his way

Feb. 10, 2009
By Ken Berger
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The All-Star questions didn't get Gregg Popovich going as much as they usually do. Perhaps that's because the All-Star break has already happened for the San Antonio Spurs.

Popovich made no apologies for resting his Big Three -- Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili -- plus important veteran Michael Finley a week ago Tuesday night in Denver. First of all, he disputed the notion that he rested all four. (More on that later.) Besides, Pop said, guys take nights off all the time. They just announce fake injuries when they do it.

Popovich does what's best for his team -- with or without approval. (Getty Images)
Popovich does what's best for his team -- with or without approval. (Getty Images)
"They just label it," Popovich said before the Spurs played the Nets on Tuesday night. "He has a bad finger, his nose hurts, his back hurts, his hip hurts. Guys do that all the time. So it wasn't really that abnormal. It's just that everyone was on the same night. ... I didn't label it. If you want me to label it, I'll label it."

Never mind that the Spurs were playing the second night of a back-to-back last week in Denver, or that they got in at 4 a.m. and lost an hour while flying from Golden State. Never mind that their next game wasn't until Sunday in Boston, meaning that by resting his veterans against the Nuggets, Popovich was effectively giving them five days off at a crucial point in the season. It was an All-Star break for Duncan and Parker, who won't have one because they'll be in Phoenix playing for the Western Conference on Sunday. If you don't like it, too bad. If you think Popovich hurt the integrity of the game, think again. When you think like Popovich -- the coach's coach -- what's best for your players is where integrity begins and ends. Resting the players you're counting on the most for the games that count certainly qualified.

Pop seemed glad I asked him to explain his thinking behind the decision, saying nobody else has asked. As always, he was good for a few laughs, although I was disappointed he didn't just fess up and face the fine. Maybe he's trying to cut expenses like all of us. Or maybe he's saving his dough to put in a bid on 1,500 bottles of Domaine de la Romanee Conti. Those are among the 9,000 bottles Oklahoma City Thunder co-owner and wine collector Aubrey McClendon is auctioning off due to his cash crunch, according to the Wall Street Journal. It just so happens that Popovich, a wine aficionado, lists that as one of his favorite wines in the world.

When I asked Pop if he received any reaction to his brilliant tactic in the Denver game, he said, "You mean did I break out in hives or anything? Nobody called me and said, 'What the hell are you doing?' But I'm sure that somebody didn't like it somewhere."

So what really happened?

"Everybody thinks we just sat those guys," Popovich said. "Manu was hurt, Timmy had a stiff knee, Michael had back spasms, and since they weren't going to play, I rested Tony. I didn't rest four guys. It's as simple as that, basically. But I didn't label everything."

Parker, the only one of the Faking Foursome who wasn't hurt, didn't object to the night off.

"Those guys were hurting, and in addition to that, we just played six out of seven on the road and that was a back-to-back," Popovich said. "We got in at 4 in the morning, and I didn't see any sense in having Tony out there under those circumstances."

So Popovich -- not a fan of All-Star weekend and its associated festivities, to put it mildly -- gave his key players a midseason break that they used to their advantage in beating the Celtics 105-99 Sunday in Boston. After back-to-backs at New Jersey and Toronto, Popovich will get his.

Though Popovich said he ultimately enjoyed coaching the Western All-Stars in '05, he fretted about it going in. He knew it would disrupt the mental break he needs to evaluate the team and figure out how to finish the season. Asked what he'd do to change All-Star weekend if David Stern put him in charge for a day, Popovich said, "That answer would get me fined."

He had other things on his mind Tuesday night, one of which was the fictitious "Popovich Committee," which he proposed last season to overturn lopsided trades like the one sending Pau Gasol from Memphis to the Lakers. "Nothing could come close to the inequality of that trade," Pop said. "You couldn't make one up."

Then I reminded him that you might not have to, given that Memphis has another Gasol on the roster and the trade deadline is still 10 days away. "They do, they do," he said with a laugh. "That's for sure."

Mostly, though, Pop's mind is on his team, which isn't playing as well as the Lakers and doesn't have nearly the sizzle. "We're a bunch of Boy Scouts," Popovich said. "We're boring. I'm looking for some guys with DUIs and stuff like that -- get a little personality, a little press."

The Spurs haven't needed either one to win four titles in the past 10 years. They just have the second-best record in the West and a smart coach who knows what's best for his team. Last time I checked, they still have Duncan, Parker and Ginobili, too. And they're well rested.

GSH
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Imagine that. All those sports writers and commentators talking about what Pop did in Denver, and none of them went to the trouble of actually asking him about it.

BlackSwordsMan
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
does that mean no duncan,parker and ginobili today?

Strike
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a friend who lives in Denver who says people were pissed about it. But here's the thing: I'm pretty sure Pop doesn't give a crap what the fans in Denver think. Neither do I.

He wouldn't sit his 3 best players just for shits and giggles. Whatever the reason, whether it's what he said or something else, I trust his judgement as the coach.

Bartleby
02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I remember a couple of years ago somebody was having some fun with the gameday roster. For one of the games Horry sat out the reason listed was "old." There were some others good ones but I don't remember them.

Mark in Austin
02-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Decent enough article except for the fact the Pop's nickname is "Pop" or "Coach Pop", not "Pops".

Obstructed_View
02-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Did the Spurs call him up? Who'd they cut?

jmard5
02-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Imagine that. All those sports writers and commentators talking about what Pop did in Denver, and none of them went to the trouble of actually asking him about it.

+1 :toast

CubanMustGo
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Decent enough article except for the fact the Pop's nickname is "Pop" or "Coach Pop", not "Pops".

Well, that and the writer calling the guys that didn't play the "Faking Foursome."

Galileo
02-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I have a friend who lives in Denver who says people were pissed about it. But here's the thing: I'm pretty sure Pop doesn't give a crap what the fans in Denver think. Neither do I.

He wouldn't sit his 3 best players just for shits and giggles. Whatever the reason, whether it's what he said or something else, I trust his judgement as the coach.

The Nugget fans should he happy they got lucky and got a "W".