PDA

View Full Version : I want to play for Team Canada

Matt Bonner
02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Spurs fans!
I'd like to thank you all for being such great fans.
Here's an update of what I'm currently up to.

I could be Canada's next sharpshooter.

I played two seasons for Toronto, and I am in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship and I reiterate my hope today to play for Canada's men's basketball team.

It's something I wanted to do, something I felt strongly about. I feel very strongly about representing Canada and trying to help the team in any way possible to be successful on the world stage.

I am in Toronto for the Spurs' game against the Raptors, my grandfather is from Newfoundland and my wife is from Toronto.

I feel like I'm part-Canadian, having a Canadian grandfather and growing up a couple of hours south of the border (Concord, N.H.) and then having such a great time playing here for the Raptors - it just feels right.

The Canadian men's team faces its next big test this summer at the world championship qualifying tournament in Mexico. Canada finished 13th at the 2002 world championships in Indianapolis and didn't qualify for the 2006 world tournament.

"We want to try to put together the best team we can possibly put together," said Maurizio Gherardini, managing director of Canada's senior men's program, and also assistant GM of the Raptors. "We know we're going to be facing a very tough challenge going into that tournament, but we want to fight, and to fight we need some quality additions, and an NBA player would definitely be a quality addition."

Under FIBA rules, however, a team can only have one naturalized player. Philadelphia 76ers centre Samuel Dalembert, who is Haitian-born, received his citizenship in time to play for Canada in its unsuccessful attempt to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

The Canadians could certainly use a long-range shooter of my calibre. I currently lead the NBA in three-point percentage, shooting 50 per cent from beyond the arc. I am averaging 8.6 points and 4.8 rebounds a game heading into Wednesday night, but arrived on the heels of two big games, totalling 45 points against New Jersey and Boston.

The Raptors traded me to San Antonio for Rasho Nesterovic in the summer of 2006.

EricB
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Go right ahead.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
:lol

Nathan Explosion
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm glad Bonner can find time to post during his busy schedule, you know, considering he's playing a game right now.

Did he do that from the bench using Wi-Fi, grab is iPhone and do it, or just take a laptop from the press row and post it during a time out?

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Maybe Nadia posted it for him
http://64.13.129.136/pics/up-T0SUDMKSUP6FTLQQ

Matt Bonner
02-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I was using Tony's iPhone,
I'm holding off on getting a phone until I can find one that comes with a decent plan.

SpursFan0728
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I was using Tony's iPhone,
I'm holding off on getting a phone until I can find one that comes with a decent plan.

:lol

Rogue
02-12-2009, 12:17 AM
com'on matt, I didn't see you using kind of iphone or anything alike. besides, you shouldn't have borrowed tp's iphone anyway, mine is much better than his. you know, I earn 10m more than he does.

wisnub
02-12-2009, 01:04 AM
This is the funniest thread i've ever read :lol ...and Nadia really is a HOT girl