PDA

View Full Version : Damn!

AlamoSpursFan
03-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Ever hear somebody's name on the news and think "I know that guy!"? Happened to me last night...

Schertz cop escapes hail of bullets
Web Posted: 03/05/2005 12:00 AM CST

Vianna Davila
Express-News Staff Writer

A 48-year-old Bulverde man was charged with attempted capital murder Friday after he fired at a Schertz police officer, spraying his patrol car with more than 30 rounds, authorities said.

The man, identified as Michael Patrick Kennedy, used an AK-47 assault rifle and a handgun to open fire on Officer Richard Kunz during a traffic stop Thursday night, according to an arrest affidavit.

Kunz managed to take cover behind his patrol car and returned fire, striking Kennedy three times in the back and neck, officials said.

Kennedy was taken to Brooke Army Medical Center, where he was listed in serious condition Friday. He was expected to survive.

Kunz, who was not injured, was on administrative leave Friday.

The Schertz officer stopped a driver for a speeding violation at 11:38 p.m. in the 23500 block of Interstate 35.

Kunz approached a black Toyota Corolla and identified himself as a police officer, according to the affidavit. Kunz then saw the driver raise a pistol and point it toward the officer's face, the affidavit states.

Officers recovered three firearms, including the assault rifle and a 9 mm pistol.

The Texas Rangers are assisting Schertz police in their investigation.

Thursday night's shooting was the first against a Schertz officer in more than 2½ years, Public Information Officer Debbie K. Gildea said.

Kunz has been on the Schertz police force, which has 36 sworn officers, for two years, Gildea said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to work with the shooter at Bizmart (now Office Max) in Windcrest. He was my manager in the receiving department and then he transferred over to the San Pedro store. I always knew he was a flake, but I never thought he'd go this far.

3rdCoast
03-05-2005, 11:03 AM
i was drivin down 3009 about 11:40 and saw like 6 or 7 schertz cops speed by prolly like at 80-90 mph, i was wonderin what tha hell happened.

ZStomp
03-05-2005, 12:19 PM
That's crazy.

There have been a number of police shootings involving AK-47's.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-05-2005, 02:45 PM
That cop is a badass. Returning fire on someone who's busted out the automatic weapons, and hitting him 3 times??!!! That's pretty good. Most people in that situation would be peeing their pants (not that there's anything wrong with that) and too nervous to shoot back with any precision.

That's a wild story.