PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Hansbrough...just a thought.

TheSpursFNRule
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Everyone doubts this guy will ever be a great NBA player and they could be right. But I was thinking, he's projected to go mid-to-late in the first round and will probably be picked up by someone other than the Spurs. But couldn't you see this guy working well in Pops system? Hard-nose defender, all heart, can play the 3 or 4. I don't know its just a thought. Am I the only one whos ever thought this?

EricB
02-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Cherokee Park's whiter brother?

No thanks.

TheSpursFNRule
02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
What the fuck does that even mean?

Rogue
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
:ttiwwp:

exstatic
02-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Caucasians from the ACC tend to stiff in the NBA.

TheSpursFNRule
02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
This guy is already a stiff in the NBA according to 100% of sports writers and pretty much everyone else. The guy works hard he should be looked at. Do the spurs have a first round pick this year?

manufor3
02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
id love the guy, unfortunately, we probably wont get him

exstatic
02-11-2009, 09:59 PM
This guy is already a stiff in the NBA according to 100% of sports writers and pretty much everyone else. The guy works hard he should be looked at. Do the spurs have a first round pick this year?

No we don't have a first rounder, and there are plenty of guys who work hard in the NCAA.

DeadlyDynasty
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
He's a hard-nosed "player," but is a very suspect defender

exstatic
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
He'll be a first rounder, just like JJ Reddick, and there will be another GM with ACC buyer's remorse. They can't seem to resist picking these borderline NBA players with first round picks, when they would have a hard time making the average team as a training camp invitee.

coyotes_geek
02-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Hansbrough is an "energy guy".

More often than not the phrase "energy guy" is just code for limited skills and athletic ability.

jbspurs
02-11-2009, 10:28 PM
He's the next Mark Madsen!

EricB
02-11-2009, 10:37 PM

It means he's whiter and stiffier than Cherokee Parks was.

That should tell you something.

Universe
02-11-2009, 10:50 PM
If he's there at the bottom of the second then heck yes.

bigdog
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Everyone doubts this guy will ever be a great NBA player and they could be right. But I was thinking, he's projected to go mid-to-late in the first round and will probably be picked up by someone other than the Spurs. But couldn't you see this guy working well in Pops system? Hard-nose defender, all heart, can play the 3 or 4. I don't know its just a thought. Am I the only one whos ever thought this?

Who in the world gave you the crazy idea that he can play the 3? I'm sorry but he will be a bust in the NBA, maybe slightly better than Mark Madsen at best.

Shastafarian
02-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Hard-nose defender, all heart, can play the 3 or 4. I don't know its just a thought. Am I the only one whos ever thought this?

No.

K-State Spur
02-11-2009, 11:48 PM

he's not big enough to be an NBA 4, he's nowhere near athletic enough to be a 3. he's not much a defender, there's just very few legit posts with size in the ACC the last couple of years to expose him (Cole Aldrich did last year).

and, not to take this off on a political tangent (but to point out an issue of perspective) - but if he were african-american and had not gotten the bloody nose, you'd never hear 2 words about him being a harder worker than anybody else. beasley had to fight through triple teams last year with very little help around him - and still put up better numbers in both scoring & rebounding than hansborough. yet, because he was so smooth, he actually was accused of being lazy in some circles.

TheSpursFNRule
02-11-2009, 11:52 PM
he's not big enough to be an NBA 4, he's nowhere near athletic enough to be a 3. he's not much a defender, there's just very few legit posts with size in the ACC the last couple of years to expose him (Cole Aldrich did last year).

and, not to take this off on a political tangent (but to point out an issue of perspective) - but if he were african-american and had not gotten the bloody nose, you'd never hear 2 words about him being a harder worker than anybody else. beasley had to fight through triple teams last year with very little help around him - and still put up better numbers in both scoring & rebounding than hansborough. yet, because he was so smooth, he actually was accused of being lazy in some circles.

Wow. This is so arrogant I can't even respond. Wait fuck that and fuck you I will. He's not a hard worker? The guy was given one of the worst bodies to play basketball with and instead he turns it around works his ass off and becomes the 2nd all time scorer in the ACC and the the number 1 scorer at UNC(The same school Michael fucking Jordan attented). He's all effort and heart. and in some circles he was accused of being lazy? what circle was that...the circle jerk you and your friends had last week? All people have said about T-hans since he has made a name for himself is how hard he has to work, I don't know what the fuck youve been watching. Suck it you pussy.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2009, 12:10 AM
el oh el

DMX7
02-12-2009, 12:12 AM
I think he might be a good hustle player (like our old buddy M. Rose)

K-State Spur
02-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Wow. This is so arrogant I can't even respond. Wait fuck that and fuck you I will. He's not a hard worker? The guy was given one of the worst bodies to play basketball with and instead he turns it around works his ass off and becomes the 2nd all time scorer in the ACC and the the number 1 scorer at UNC(The same school Michael fucking Jordan attented). He's all effort and heart. and in some circles he was accused of being lazy? what circle was that...the circle jerk you and your friends had last week? All people have said about T-hans since he has made a name for himself is how hard he has to work, I don't know what the fuck youve been watching. Suck it you pussy.

Never ever began to even insinuate that he wasn't a hard worker. Merely referring to the media's obsession with calling him the hardest worker in college basketball.

The vast majority of successful NCAA players work THEIR ASSES OFF - not just Psycho T. In addition, Hansbrough has more god given talent than he is given credit for.

What the hell made you so defensive? Did I dare to imply that the man in the picture that you keep underneath your mattress wasn't perfect?

K-State Spur
02-12-2009, 12:15 AM
I think he might be a good hustle player (like our old buddy M. Rose)

Rose was a much better athlete.

exstatic
02-12-2009, 12:34 AM
What the hell made you so defensive? Did I dare to imply that the man in the picture that you keep underneath your mattress wasn't perfect?

I'm sure he'll send you a nasty PM for that.

TheSpursFNRule
02-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Haha. Im just having fun, my bad if I offended anyone.

androck
02-12-2009, 12:47 AM

Not a chance. Tyler Hansbrough got more press than Beasley last year because he was one of the best players at North Carolina, one of the most storied basketball programs in the NCAA. Beasley suffered from the fact that he played at K-State which is not a traditionally strong basketball school.

K-State Spur
02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Not a chance. Tyler Hansbrough got more press than Beasley last year because he was one of the best players at North Carolina, one of the most storied basketball programs in the NCAA. Beasley suffered from the fact that he played at K-State which is not a traditionally strong basketball school.

I don't want to take this off on any tangent away from TH - but KSU is actually a very strong basketball school traditionally. Now, it's clearly not in UNC's class, and past 15 years have been more bad than good - which I believe makes the rest of your post very valid.

Mal
02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I saw him yesterday at Duke. This guy is really smart, play some D, have mid range jump shoot. He is fully develop. I don`t know why he is in late 1 round. It isn`t Reddick`s type player, who is undersize for NBA. This guy is tall enough. He is athletic. If only Spurs had this 1 round pick, I think Pop would go after him.

Rogue
02-12-2009, 11:10 AM
you're also playing or studying in Duke? or saw him on television?

hillcountry09
02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, Hansbrough is a great player. Unfortunately, I believe that he is a great college player. Christian Laettner comes to mind when the discussion comes to Hansbrough. One of the best college basketball players to ever play and yet never became the superstar in the NBA as many had projected. Not to say that Hansbrough cannot accomplish such a feat, but I would be hard-pressed to say he will ever be an all-star in the pros.

If I had to guess what his game will be like in the NBA I would say that he would be a hustle-type player such as Chuck Hayes on the Houston Rockets only with more size and a more polished inside presence on the offensive end. Expect him to earn p.t. by grabbing rebounds and taking charges. The "dirty work" per se.

coyotes_geek
02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
If I had to guess what his game will be like in the NBA I would say that he would be a hustle-type player such as Chuck Hayes on the Houston Rockets only with more size and a more polished inside presence on the offensive end. Expect him to earn p.t. by grabbing rebounds and taking charges. The "dirty work" per se.

That's a fair assessment. And since no one would draft Chuck Hayes in the 1st round any team that takes Hansbrough in the 1st would be making a mistake.

hillcountry09
02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
That's a fair assessment. And since no one would draft Chuck Hayes in the 1st round any team that takes Hansbrough in the 1st would be making a mistake.
I suppose. Then again you never know. I'm just concerned that the media hype has embellished his actual level of talent.

coyotes_geek
02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I suppose. Then again you never know. I'm just concerned that the media hype has embellished his actual level of talent.

I guarantee the media hype has embellished his actual level of talelnt. But that's what happens when you play for North Carolina. He's a great college player, but sometimes great college players just don't have skill sets that are going to transfer to the NBA game.

hillcountry09
02-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I guarantee the media hype has embellished his actual level of talelnt. But that's what happens when you play for North Carolina. He's a great college player, but sometimes great college players just don't have skill sets that are going to transfer to the NBA game.
And there's nothing wrong with that at all as long as the player is willing to accept that and recognize that he will have a new role with his NBA team that is completely different. If he does that, I could see him having a modest career of being a role player.

wildbill2u
02-12-2009, 12:58 PM
The list of good WHITE college players who failed or were marginal in the NBA is long and storied.

I emphasize WHITE players because I think good white college players who often bring hustle and good basketball IQ, but less in the way of athleticism and skills to their teams get more props than they are due by sportswriters and TV commentators and wind up as unjustified high draft choices.

Whether this is because they are unconsciously racially biased or just think the unjustified props will help promote a well-known college program or simply sell more newspapers or TV watchers is beyond me. Then GMs may feel pressured by public opinion to draft these players way higher than justified by their physical assets or skills.

When it comes to the pros, while its nice to have hustle and IQ, the place on the court usually goes to the swift, the athletic, the tall, and the more talented skill set. Not always, mind you, but that's the way to draft and bet.

mountainballer
02-12-2009, 01:42 PM
He'll be a first rounder, just like JJ Reddick, and there will be another GM with ACC buyer's remorse. They can't seem to resist picking these borderline NBA players with first round picks, when they would have a hard time making the average team as a training camp invitee.

or he'll be a first rounder, just like David Lee, and there will be another GM who gets at least some credit for picking talent at the end of 1st round, when most other teams passed and picked raw athletes instead, because they were afraid of picking another great college player, who might fail in the NBA.
who knows.

K-State Spur
02-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, Hansbrough is a great player. Unfortunately, I believe that he is a great college player. Christian Laettner comes to mind when the discussion comes to Hansbrough. One of the best college basketball players to ever play and yet never became the superstar in the NBA as many had projected. Not to say that Hansbrough cannot accomplish such a feat, but I would be hard-pressed to say he will ever be an all-star in the pros.

i would be absolutely shocked if hansbrough has anywhere near an NBA career as good as laettner's.

mardigan
02-12-2009, 02:25 PM
he's not big enough to be an NBA 4

I don't know why everyone say's this. Dude is listed at 6-9, 250. That's as big if not bigger than Matt Bonner and he start's at center. Once he gets some NBA level strength and conditioning, he will probably be well over 260.The kid has no quit in him, is strong as hell, a great teammate, and has gotten better every year he has played. I really believe that whoever gets him will be getting a solid starter for a long time. Maybe not any kind of star player, but a solid 12 point 8 rebound type of guy.

hater
02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
he'd be a shitty version of Shawn Bradley at best.

mardigan
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
he'd be a shitty version of Shawn Bradley at best.

That makes no sense.

K-State Spur
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know why everyone say's this. Dude is listed at 6-9, 250. That's as big if not bigger than Matt Bonner and he start's at center. Once he gets some NBA level strength and conditioning, he will probably be well over 260.The kid has no quit in him, is strong as hell, a great teammate, and has gotten better every year he has played. I really believe that whoever gets him will be getting a solid starter for a long time. Maybe not any kind of star player, but a solid 12 point 8 rebound type of guy.

Why does everybody say this? BECAUSE EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTRY EXAGGERATES HEIGHT. Beasley was listed at 6'10 - was actually 6'8. D'Andre Jordan was listed a 7'0 - he was only 6'9+.

Tyler will come in at the combine a few centimeters over 6'7. When he went up against Cole Aldrich last year, Aldrich was much taller.

I'm not saying that T will be completely worthless at the next level, but I think his CEILING is a poor man's Nick Collison.

jdiggy0424
02-12-2009, 02:58 PM
id do it

hard worker and plays for unc

but only if he went that late in the draft

ClingingMars
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
not a chance. Tyler hansbrough got more press than beasley last year because he was one of the best players at north carolina, one of the most storied basketball programs in the ncaa. Beasley suffered from the fact that he played at k-state which is not a traditionally strong basketball school.

+1

Mal
02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
you're also playing or studying in Duke? or saw him on television?

Only TV, I`m from Poland :)

Darthkiller
02-12-2009, 03:26 PM
didnt people say kevin love will never be a good player in nba. he is becoming a star.

coyotes_geek
02-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Love is bigger and more skilled than Hansbrough.

AFBlue
02-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't understand why people are so fervently against Hansbrough...it's not like the Spurs would trade Tim Duncan to get him if they wanted.

Hansbrough is appropriately sitting somewhere in the mid to late first round because he's not the best athlete and his arms are not exceptionally long to make up for his lack of height (say he's 6'8). That said, he's got an excellent IQ, good inside/out game, and has a toughness/gritiness that alot of teams would value.

Admittedly, I don't think he's ever going to be more than a role player, but if the Spurs wanted to trade up into the first round to get this kid, I don't think I'd be upset at all.

AFBlue
02-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Having just read my assessment and a few others, there's one guy currently in the league that I think compares really well...and he's a guy that many on this board are pissed at the FO for letting go.

That would be one Luis Scola...undersized, not athletic, yet possesses a great feel for the game and is extremely effective while on the court.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2009, 06:09 PM
i would be absolutely shocked if hansbrough has anywhere near an NBA career as good as laettner's.

I absolutely agree with that.

As much as Laettner is seen as a bust, you'd have to be a pretty good player to have a better career than Laettner did -- not a great player, of course, but a pretty good one. Laettner played about 870 games as a pro and averaged almost 13 ppg, even with 2 or 3 pretty bad years at the end. In his first 5 pro seasons, Laettner was 18/9, 17/9, 16/8, 16/7, and 18/9. He deservedly made an All-Star team in 1997.

None of that is to say that Laettner was great as a pro, but all of it is to say that the guys who were better pros are mostly great players.

daslicer
02-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I live in the heart of ACC country in NC and have seen Psycho T play a lot. Honest observation which is the guy will be straight up garbage in the nba. He is a slow stiff who will get his shot blocked 9 out of 10 times in the NBA. He has some of the ugliest footwork I have seen its like he's a wounded water buffaloe out there on the court. While it works in college it won't work in the NBA. This guy will be lucky to be half the player Matt Bonner is which isn't saying much. Hell this guy would make Rasho look like an allstar.

iggypop123
02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
madsen on sterioids. who cares.

exstatic
02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I think you can get away with being undersized for your position, or not particularly (NBA) athletic, but the combination is almost impossible to overcome. That's Tyler in a nutshell. If he weren't an ACC-hyped player, he'd be slotted mid second round to non-drafted.

BOHOLANO#21
02-12-2009, 10:11 PM
nooo. that white dude is just a hype. slow, unathletic, undersized PF. SPLITTER is coming next season:bang

itzsoweezee
02-12-2009, 10:49 PM
he won't be anything in the nba other than a scrub, assuming he even makes a roster.

itzsoweezee
02-12-2009, 10:53 PM
i mean, who the hell would he even be able to guard? nba players at his height are much more athletic and quicker than he'll ever be. he's like 6'7" and plays in the post at UNC. no way in hell he'd be posting up anyone in the NBA.

Agloco
02-13-2009, 12:02 AM
he's the next mark madsen!

+1

Reminds me of Kris Humphies. Averaging 25 and 11 in college but 5 and 3 in the pros.