PDA

View Full Version : News flash: 2008-9 Spurs vs Lesser teams

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
As I've explained a thousand times in the game thread (although it doesn't seem to be getting through to some of the numbskulls around here), our team this year is playing like a veteran team - they virtually ignore the first half of games against lesser teams, just doing enough to lead slightly or keep the deficit from getting to double digits (what you call "playing like shit" when actually it's just saving their energy).

Then, some time in the second half (sometimes straight out of the gate, sometimes mid-3rd, sometimes end-of-3rd, sometimes mid-4th), they ratchet up the intensity, get some stops, make some easy baskets and hold on to win the game. That has been the formula against lesser teams all year. That is the way this team plays. Like it or not, that's what they've been doing and will continue to do. By contrast, against good teams they tend to play hard for all 48 minutes.

Remember, most of these guys are getting old, and are probably bored by much of the first 2/3s of the season. Let's face it, 82 games is a ridiculous grind (it should be 58 IMHO - play each team twice), and it is impossible to keep up the intensity the whole time. The NBA regular season is a marathon, not a sprint, and our guys are old enough and wise enough to treat it as such.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-11-2009, 10:00 PM
BTW, we've hardly lost to a lesser team all year.

Discounting the 2-5 start, the only lesser teams we've lost to are:

Milwaukee (who beat us more often than not)
Philadelphia (in Phili, and they are a terrible matchup for us)
...and now the Raps (on the second of a b-2-b with an early start and the AS break looming).

That is it! Check for yourself:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/

Oh, and take a chill pill... ;)

timvp
02-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Not counting the Milwaukee games, since the Spurs always lose to Milwaukee, is this the first loss of the season against a team that is currently under .500?

Hmmm . . . can't think of another one off the top of my head.

Edit: Too slow

Thompson
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, it sucks losing close games like that (I'm not used to it this year), but it's going to happen sooner or later. I had to take a couple deep breaths after that last play, but it's gonna be alright.

I still wish we could snag Brook Lopez or Rasheed somehow.

Ghazi
02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Philly isn't a lesser team than SA, they're a better team than SA.

Ghazi
02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Regarding this lesser teams argument, arent the Spurs like .500 v good teams.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Not counting the Milwaukee games, since the Spurs always lose to Milwaukee, is this the first loss of the season against a team that is currently under .500?

Hmmm . . . can't think of another one off the top of my head.

Edit: Too slow

Exactly.

This thread is really just for all the chicken littles out there.

We are mostly beating lesser teams, and doing it smart. The real test was whether we could step it up against quality opposition, and recent wins against the Fakers, NO, Utah, Phoenix and Boston suggest that we can. Good signs as we build towards SPAM. :tu

timvp
02-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, there are going to be losses like this during an 82-game season. It sucks but it's not like the Spurs have ever gone through a season without losing to a few horrible teams.

Ah well. Good character builder and gives reason for Pop to complain over the next week.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM

:lmao

You can't be serious.

76ers - 27-24. Spurs 31-16.

Pulease... :rolleyes

Regarding this lesser teams argument, arent the Spurs like .500 v good teams.

Who cares? The first 10 weeks of the season are just tuning up, it's what they've done in the last month that counts. What I mean is, are they gelling as we come towards the real season (ie. March+)? The answer is yes.

We could still do with another big, but I really like the way this team is coming together. Tonight was a letdown, but they'll make up for it by sweeping (or only losing one game during) the rest of the RRT.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah, there are going to be losses like this during an 82-game season. It sucks but it's not like the Spurs have ever gone through a season without losing to a few horrible teams.

Ah well. Good character builder and gives reason for Pop to complain over the next week.

:lol Spot on.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Nuggets are something like 21-2 against teams with .500 or below records, one of those losses came to the Warriors mid-trade without Ai or Billups :smokin

That's the main difference with the Nuggets. Like the Spurs, they tend to coast vs lesser teams and just pull out wins in the 4th

Ghazi
Sixers are really good. DARK HORSE!

Ghazi
Nuggets are something like 21-2 against teams with .500 or below records, one of those losses came to the Warriors mid-trade without Ai or Billups :smokin

That's the main difference with the Nuggets. Like the Spurs, they tend to coast vs lesser teams and just pull out wins in the 4th

They didn't pull it out against the Nets :hat

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
its coz Harris is the MVP of the league :smokin Sorry Mav fans :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Sixers are really good. DARK HORSE!

:rolleyes

They look good when they run, sure, but we've seen the best running team in a decade in the Suns pre-Shaq, and they won nothing, so what makes you think a Sixer team will do better? Also, they have a poor half court game and their D is patchy.

Sixers are a 1st round exit, maybe 2nd round if they get really lucky against Orlando. No way they beat Cleveland or Boston in 7.

SouthTexasRancher
02-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Let's face it, 82 games is a ridiculous grind.

Tell you what, I bet I can get 12 of us on these threads to play those other 24 games 82-58 for half the salary the Spurs players now get and that'll solve the problem. I know we could beat a few of the bottom feeders as long as we kidnap the refs and insert our own. Course I'd need to close the barn doors to keep prying eyes out. he,he

On the serious side if a pro bball player can't deal with an 82 game schedule he should be doing ballet in a TuTu instead. These are grown men making million$.

SouthTexasRancher
02-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Ghazi, ghazi, ghazi....have you been using Michael Phelps' bong? Dude you are totally out to lunch!

Yorae
02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
In the recap, manu seems to be really pissed.....why didn't fin take the shot??? why.....

EricB
02-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Pop needed something after the Boston and New Jersey games.

Like you've said in the past.

Pop loves games like these.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Tell you what, I bet I can get 12 of us on these threads to play those other 24 games 82-58 for half the salary the Spurs players now get and that'll solve the problem. I know we could beat a few of the bottom feeders as long as we kidnap the refs and insert our own. Course I'd need to close the barn doors to keep prying eyes out. he,he

On the serious side if a pro bball player can't deal with an 82 game schedule he should be doing ballet in a TuTu instead. These are grown men making million$.

Yes, and they are human. I didn't say they "can't deal with [it]", I didn't even imply that. I said:

...and it is impossible to keep up the intensity the whole time. The NBA regular season is a marathon, not a sprint, and our guys are old enough and wise enough to treat it as such.

SequSpur
02-12-2009, 12:18 AM
As I've explained a thousand times in the game thread (although it doesn't seem to be getting through to some of the numbskulls around here), our team this year is playing like a veteran team - they virtually ignore the first half of games against lesser teams, just doing enough to lead slightly or keep the deficit from getting to double digits (what you call "playing like shit" when actually it's just saving their energy).

Then, some time in the second half (sometimes straight out of the gate, sometimes mid-3rd, sometimes end-of-3rd, sometimes mid-4th), they ratchet up the intensity, get some stops, make some easy baskets and hold on to win the game. That has been the formula against lesser teams all year. That is the way this team plays. Like it or not, that's what they've been doing and will continue to do. By contrast, against good teams they tend to play hard for all 48 minutes.

Remember, most of these guys are getting old, and are probably bored by much of the first 2/3s of the season. Let's face it, 82 games is a ridiculous grind (it should be 58 IMHO - play each team twice), and it is impossible to keep up the intensity the whole time. The NBA regular season is a marathon, not a sprint, and our guys are old enough and wise enough to treat it as such.

and u call yourself a fan?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-12-2009, 12:22 AM
and u call yourself a fan?

Yes, a fan who actually understands the rhythm of the team, not a moronic maniac who flips out like a 2yo every time something doesn't go his way. Maybe you could learn something from that. :wakeup

That you question my fanhood when I've traveled to see them play from the other side of the world twice, which you well know as we have met, tells me you are just stirring. :nope

Spurs Brazil
02-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Great post Ruff.
I think in the last 3-4 years we saw the Spurs lose to lesser teams much more than this season

TampaDude
02-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Fuck it...all that matters is getting a good seed for the playoffs...that's when the REAL season begins!

SpursDynasty
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe the Spurs are 13-13 vs. .500 or better teams...Being .500 against the .500 teams is decent....the equivalent of earning season splits against the top teams. We've beaten the Lakers, we've beaten the Celtics, is there really anything to complain about at this point?

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, the Nuggets are only 1 game back of San Antonio.

Can't drop games to a mediocre team without its 2 best players, especially the last game before the All STar break.

You'd rather have 2 series without HCA than 3.

I expect SA will separate from Denver in the 2nd half of the season though.