PDA

View Full Version : Hairston = Needs More Playing Time

Buddy Holly
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Yay or Nay?

Kori Ellis
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Probably not. He might even get sent back down after the road trip.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
considering I'm a big Malik supporter, and against anything to do with Finley..my answer is obvious..

coyotes_geek
02-11-2009, 10:17 PM
The minutes Hairston is getting right now is fine. About 5 minutes in the first half, potentially more in the 2nd depending how the game is going. Hairston's coming along nicely, but it's not like he needs to be in the rotation this year.

timvp
02-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't mind Pop giving him a few more chances but I haven't seen anything yet to definitely say he deserves a spot in the rotation. Good prospect but not there yet . . .

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
he's shown more than Udoka though, and Ime is currently in the "rotation"..

the least Pop can do is give him more chances though, he deserves it..it's still mid-February, there is time..

EricB
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Way too raw offensively to warrant more minutes.

EricB
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
he's shown more than Udoka though, and Ime is currently in the "rotation"..

the least Pop can do is give him more chances though, he deserves it..it's still mid-February, there is time..

How are you in the rotation when your stacking up DNP CDs?

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
by rotation, I meant dressed..

I don't see a reason for Hairston to be in the D-League for the rest of the year, he needs experience, since I'm assuming he'll be on the roster for next year..

coyotes_geek
02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
How is Udoka in the rotation? He's getting as many DNP-CD's these days as games he gets to play in. And when he does get in it's usually garbage time.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 10:50 PM
there are going to be games where our swingmen are struggling, and Pop settles for Ime..either for a spark, or to send a message..we've seen it many times in the past..when that time comes, I'd rather have a decent player come in with some energy, as opposed to Udoka, who brings nothing..

EricB
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
by rotation, I meant dressed..

I don't see a reason for Hairston to be in the D-League for the rest of the year, he needs experience, since I'm assuming he'll be on the roster for next year..

What good does it do him to play 8 minutes a night when he can go down play 36 minutes a night and work on his offense?

He's gonna get sent down and work on his game wich he needs to do.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 10:53 PM
he's already done all he can in the D-league, it won't do him any good IMO..he's already scored 40+ points in a game IIRC, he made the all-star team..I don't really see what it'll do for him..but I do expect him to be sent back, I just disagree with the decision..

he deserves to get more PT in the next few weeks, at least IMO..

EricB
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
he's already done all he can in the D-league, it won't do him any good IMO..he's already scored 40+ points in a game IIRC, he made the all-star team..I don't really see what it'll do for him..but I do expect him to be sent back, I just disagree with the decision..

Over who?

Hairston's offense is horrible and playing 15 minutes a game in the NBA against better talent isn't going to fix it.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 10:58 PM
he deserves to get the same look he's been getting on this trip, I like how Pop has been playing him..

I don't see how he's going to "improve" his game in the D-league..he isn't going to change his playing style, since it's been successful with the Toros, he's been great there..what do you expect him to do? there's no substitute for NBA experience, nothing else is close..he needs to play against better talent..

continuing to play in a league vs. weak talent isn't going to help him..

EricB
02-11-2009, 11:01 PM
he deserves to get the same look he's been getting on this trip, I like how Pop has been playing him..

I don't see how he's going to "improve" his game in the D-league..he isn't going to change his playing style, since it's been successful with the Toros, he's been great there..what do you expect him to do? there's no substitute for NBA experience, nothing else is close..he needs to play against better talent..

continuing to play in a league vs. weak talent isn't going to help him..

Continuing to not work on the offensive game wich is horribly RAW, vs playing 35 minutes and working on it.

Gee wich is better....

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
again..I don't disagree with your point..but how is he supposed to work on his offense in the D-league? what do you want him to do? his offensive game is great in the D-league..he tries to win games there..he isn't going to change his individual game and focus on improving his weaknesses during games, which would make his team suffer..

also..let's say he believes his game is improving..it's not the same when you're doing it against weak competition..

I'd rather have him getting spot minutes against NBA talent..while being around and learning from Manu, Bowen, Finley and Pop..

bigdog
02-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I like that he's getting minutes on this trip, and I think he should get a few more chances, but his offensive game is very raw, and he still needs to work on it. His defense isn't amazing but it's decent. The only problem I have with him being sent back down to the D-League is that he will average over 20 ppg with Austin. I might rather have him getting garbage minutes in the NBA and practicing against the Spurs instead, better competition.

EricB
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
again..I don't disagree with your point..but how is he supposed to work on his offense in the D-league? what do you want him to do? his offensive game is great in the D-league..he tries to win games there..he isn't going to change his individual game and focus on improving his weaknesses during games, which would make his team suffer..

also..let's say he believes his game is improving..it's not the same when you're doing it against weak competition..

I'd rather have him getting spot minutes against NBA talent..while being around and learning from Manu, Bowen, Finley and Pop..

D League he's getting calls and plays run just for him.

Hes taught how to deal with different defenses.

in the NBA he'll be lucky if he shoots the ball once a night and will only get the ball if a play breaks down.

it does nothing to improve his offensive game.

The Truth #6
02-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I didn't think Finley was very useful tonight. I thought Malik could have taken some more of Finley's minutes.

Malik doesn't look good with his jump shot yet but he is confident taking the ball to the hole. He needs to get used to playing against NBA defenses. If anything, abusing inferior defenders in the D League might not teach him much about how to score in the NBA. Marcus Williams is getting all the practice he needs in the D League but it isn't preparing him at all for what to expect in the NBA, not that he's ever going to make it there.

I see nothing wrong with Malik getting more time, especially when Finley is off.

angelbelow
02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
D League he's getting calls and plays run just for him.

Hes taught how to deal with different defenses.

in the NBA he'll be lucky if he shoots the ball once a night and will only get the ball if a play breaks down.

it does nothing to improve his offensive game.

i think the pros and cons have been discussed to the fullest and with that said, its about even. since logic isnt a good measuring stick i'll use my gut... it says keep hairston on the spurs for the rest of the year. we'll see what happens soon enough.

Blackjack
02-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Way too raw offensively to warrant more minutes.

Yeah, because players that are raw offensively, have no way of contributing to a teams success.:rolleyes

Sure, Malik's got some work to do on his game individually, but his skill-set allows for him to contribute while he develops.

For a team that lacks for athleticism at the swing, both offfensively and defensively, and could use more slashing and offensive rebounding to capitalize off the attention the Big 3 receives, why the hell wouldn't you like to have Hairston as an option off the bench.

there are going to be games where our swingmen are struggling, and Pop settles for Ime..either for a spark, or to send a message..we've seen it many times in the past..when that time comes, I'd rather have a decent player come in with some energy, as opposed to Udoka, who brings nothing..

:tu

Udoka has been reduced to Pop's designated-bruiser, which wouldn't be such a bad thing to have on the bench, if he didn't happen to be a 6' 5" swingman.

Again, I agree.:tu

I didn't think Finley was very useful tonight. I thought Malik could have taken some more of Finley's minutes.

Malik doesn't look good with his jump shot yet but he is confident taking the ball to the hole. He needs to get used to playing against NBA defenses. If anything, abusing inferior defenders in the D League might not teach him much about how to score in the NBA. Marcus Williams is getting all the practice he needs in the D League but it isn't preparing him at all for what to expect in the NBA, not that he's ever going to make it there.

I see nothing wrong with Malik getting more time, especially when Finley is off.

Yeah, I didn't understand Pop's decision to go with Finley tonight.

Malik really looks to be getting comfortable with the scheme and the rotations on defense, (even if he's still got a lot to learn) and I thought his play warranted some more minutes tonight.(Really loved how Malik competed and used his physicality defensively, especially when drawing Bargnani)

The team definitely didn't look fresh as a whole, and I though Malik's youth and athleticism could have been pretty useful on a second night of a back-to-back.

Manufan909
02-12-2009, 01:00 AM
To be a better NBA player, he'll have to play in the NBA, it's that simple. And I don't give a fuck if he's raw, if his game consists of explosiveness and toughness. Dude is super strong, AND plays above the rim. As long as he can be on the floor with a handful of O threats(Big 3, Bonner, Mason), he should have the space to operate. And if he doesn't score much, we know he won't be a liability of D, unlike Fin and Bonner.

Manufan909
02-12-2009, 01:46 AM
This is just a guess, but I think Pop is going to trade possibily Ime and Bruce for a big. With both of them gone Pop wants to see how Malik plays so he can fill up the rotation for the deprived peremiter game. Once Bruce comes back Malik will go back to playing limited minutes.

Just a theory.

Damn, I don't like that idea too much. The wings end up being Mason, Manu, Hairston, and Fin. And the Spurs could possibly get screwed if the team Bowen gets traded to decides to keep him for the season. But if the Spurs struggle with Bowen gone, it'd be a cool lesson learned for Pop, and he could fucking start Bowen when he gets back. I'm tired of Fin being in the starting lineup.

Austin_Toros
02-12-2009, 01:51 AM
he need to condition himself to nba quality ball. as for now, he should get minimal minutes.

besides, youngsters are not necessary when you're going for the title..

EricB
02-12-2009, 02:00 AM
This is just a guess, but I think Pop is going to trade possibily Ime and Bruce for a big. With both of them gone Pop wants to see how Malik plays so he can fill up the rotation for the deprived peremiter game. Once Bruce comes back Malik will go back to playing limited minutes.

Just a theory.

7 million for a big? not great.

If Horry goes along with the sign and trade? Then you could make it 12.

Hmm, that could get you Camby or Brad Miller.....

I'd be very much so down with Marcus Camby coming in...

Brutalis
02-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Yay but it's not going to happen. Maybe next year or in some games we build leads in.

Rogue
02-12-2009, 02:26 AM

Just a theory.

yes, the spurs really need a big man urgently. TD is not enough to keep spurs' executive advantage in the paint, at least TD needs 10+ mins to rest per game considering his age. bonner is a good shooter but sucks at rebounding, while KT can't do nothing decently expect rebounding, it's a big pity Pop can't combine them two to a same person. elson used to play good for spurs but buford traded him last season. KT is more skillful and more experienced than elson but is not as fit for spurs systerm as elson was. even if Bruce got traded he would still come back to spurs for the postseason, of course he wouldn't be able to re-join spurs within 30days after he got traded&waived. :lol

urunobili
02-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Hairston>Udoka

Destro
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I've been to a few Toros games, Malik isn't going to learn anything or polish his skills playing with those scrubs. The D-League is a bunch of me-first ballers that have talent and low BB IQs or poor work ethics. Its sad watching the games knowing that many of them have the talent to become NBA players but they lack the heart or brain.

Chomag
02-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Come on guys, what are you expecting him to be at a instant Manu Level?
What we have seen from Malic is pretty much what we will get from him this year which in my mind is really good. He brings alot of things to the table that we lack at times. He brings energy, and toughness off the bench. He my not give us 20 points per game but he is someone that is capable of sparking a run, and thats extremely helpful knowing of the Spurs usual droughts.

He can give us useful production and depth this year, especial when his confidence grows and that comes with him getting some minutes with our core. D-league can not help him with these things.

Yes, of course he has potintual to become a much better player , maybe even a starter at one point in a year or two. He can work to improve on those things that you guys are talking about in the off-season.

Just cut the guy a freaking break and remember tony was not the player he is today in his first years, nor was Manu.

I just think people are being way to hard on our rookies. I myself wish they could be demolishing the competition right now but realize they need time to learn the game and let it come to them.

Experience with the spurs team is what they need. They got to learn how to play with everyone on this team on some D-league team.

Anyway, I'm starting to become realy redundent here so I'll stop lol

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
another reason for Malik to play with the team..

in the D-league, he's one of the main guys on the team..he needs to be groomed as a role player, which is what he's going to be with the Spurs..he's never going to be a star player, which isn't what he should be as a late 2nd round pick..

coyotes_geek
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
another reason for Malik to play with the team..

in the D-league, he's one of the main guys on the team..he needs to be groomed as a role player, which is what he's going to be with the Spurs..he's never going to be a star player, which isn't what he should be as a late 2nd round pick..

Role player or not he's still going to be counted on to produce whenever he's on the court. And as Roger Mason has shown several times this year role players on this team still find themselves in situations where it's all on them. We can certainly debate whether or not it's in Malik's best interests to getting more playing time against lesser competion or limited playing time against better competition. But I don't think you can say that putting Malik in situations where he's responsible for carrying a heavy load will in any way prevent him from becoming a solid role player. The Spurs are at their best when their role players are willing to step up and try to make a play on their own instead of deferring to the Big 3 all the time.

Basically, I think this all boils down to two questions Pop & RC need to answer.

1. Can the Spurs as a team commit to giving Malik at least 10 minutes in every game?

2. In terms of Malik's development is he better off getting 10 minutes in SA or 35 in Austin?