PDA

View Full Version : Official Mavs Trade Deadline Miracle Thread

monosylab1k
02-12-2009, 02:57 AM
I keep getting assured that a miracle is on the way. Until then, how about we throw out realistic trade ideas that we'd want the Mavs to do. Make sure your shit works with the salary cap before posting it.

Here's my first one -

Mike Miller & Sebastian Telfair for Stackhouse/Bass/Shawne Williams

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Stackhouse/Devean George for Chris Kaman.

Why the Clips do it: Shed salary + acquire George's championship pedigree and Stack's veteran toughness.

Why the Mavs do it: Now it's 4 v 5 on O instead of 3 v 5, low post scoring added to team that has lacked it in Dirk era.

monosylab1k
02-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Stackhouse/Devean George for Chris Kaman.

Dick Breath still has his Bird Rights and would reject that trade out to half court.

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Stackhouse + any cheap filler (Green, Bass, Singleton)

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 03:05 AM
Matt Carroll for Beno Udrih

Why our beloved Mavs do it: combo guard, depth + Carroll hasn't done much for our beloved Mavs

Why the Queens do it: Sheds $10 million or so.

monosylab1k
02-12-2009, 03:12 AM
This trade idea is in light of RealGM saying Portland is searching for an elite PG -

Dallas trades Jerry Stackhouse, Matt Carroll, & Antoine Wright
Portland trades Raef LaFrentz & Jerryd Bayless
Clippers trade Baron Davis & Chris Kaman

Dallas receives Chris Kaman & Jerryd Bayless
Portland receives Baron Davis & Matt Carroll
Clippers receive Jerry Stackhouse, Antoine Wright, & Raef LaFrentz

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 03:13 AM
I dont think Carroll can be traded in a multi player deal, although I'm not sure about that.

Rogue
02-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Dick Breath still has his Bird Rights and would reject that trade out to half court.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2873~802~1982&teams=12~12~6&te=&cash=

we're gonna get kaman anyway.

monosylab1k
02-12-2009, 03:16 AM

Why our beloved Mavs do it: combo guard, depth + Carroll hasn't done much for our beloved Mavs

I'd rather have cancer in my ass than Beno Udrih.

Rogue
02-12-2009, 03:24 AM
This trade idea is in light of RealGM saying Portland is searching for an elite PG -

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2211~802~2801~3417~454~194~198 2&teams=22~12~22~6~12~22~6&te=&cash=

Kamnik
02-12-2009, 05:00 AM
hehe i love the topic name :P funny

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I just hope our beloved Mavs get something done. I'd settle for a wing player like Salmons or Miller, unless we gave up a core piece for such. It probably wouldn't give us a title, but I'd say it gives us a better shot, even if slim.

Or a player like Kaman (for garbage) or Shaq (if we did give up J-ho for Shaq, wouldn't our wings suck?), that would be a difference maker. Not sure if it makes us a contender, but it certainly wouldn't hurt our beloved Mavs chances.

A guy like Udrih of course I wouldn't mind, but not as the lone move. The only player I'd even give up for Udrih is Carroll. Stackhouse's value should net more value than a backup combo guard.

If we do absolutely nothing, I will be pretty deflated!

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2009, 06:34 AM

why would port do this trade? even with frentz off the books, they are absorbing another contract in baron davis who goes for another few seasons, which has eatened up their capspace and are lux tax with miles contract still remaining....

m33p0
02-12-2009, 08:15 AM
:lol @ deavon george and his bird rights

mavsfan1000
02-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd say we keep what we got. Mavs 2009 Champs.

endrity
02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I want Caron Butler actually. The expiring contract of Stack and George, plus some filler might get it done.

ElNono
02-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Dallas needs an inside presence. They needed it two years ago, and still need it now. The only reason you would get a wing player is if you're getting rid of JHo, but Cubes already admitted that JHo is not going anywhere.
That Dick Breath bird rights bullshit sure is setting this team back, isn't it? You can discount George on any trade unless he's going back to the Lakers or headed for Cleveland.

JonG
02-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Dallas needs an inside presence. They needed it two years ago, and still need it now. The only reason you would get a wing player is if you're getting rid of JHo, but Cubes already admitted that JHo is not going anywhere.

Most franchises can't tank seasons in order to get an inside presence. They're not very easy to get. The Mavs' best player is a PF who plays on the perimeter. Rarely is a quality post player available to a team over the cap like the Mavs. The only quasi-one that the Mavs could obtain now is Shaq and he's 3,000 years old. Since a Duncan/Yao/Shaq type center isn't going to fall into their lap, their big need in recent years has been a big SG who can defend well and get to the rim/line. Too often, the Mavs get abused by opposing teams' shooting guards. Kidd has helped that to some degree, but with Terry and Barea coming off the bench, they still lack size.

Their current options of Wright and Carroll are serviceable but nothing special, though Wright has impressed of late.

ElNono
02-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Most franchises can't tank seasons in order to get an inside presence. They're not very easy to get. The Mavs' best player is a PF who plays on the perimeter. Rarely is a quality post player available to a team over the cap like the Mavs. The only quasi-one that the Mavs could obtain now is Shaq and he's 3,000 years old. Since a Duncan/Yao/Shaq type center isn't going to fall into their lap, their big need in recent years has been a big SG who can defend well and get to the rim/line. Too often, the Mavs get abused by opposing teams' shooting guards. Kidd has helped that to some degree, but with Terry and Barea coming off the bench, they still lack size.

Their current options of Wright and Carroll are serviceable but nothing special, though Wright has impressed of late.

Bosh is unhappy in Toronto. You would think Toronto would grab something considering he'll be walking real soon now, and they already have O'Neal to man the paint. Brand was available last season and nothing happened. Gasol was obviously obtainable before the Lakers stole him. Garnett was also available back then.
I think this FO just doesn't think they need a big man. But that's a different story altogether.

sribb43
02-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Stack and Williams for Mike Miller...do it now!!!!

JonG
02-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Bosh is unhappy in Toronto. You would think Toronto would grab something considering he'll be walking real soon now, and they already have O'Neal to man the paint. Brand was available last season and nothing happened. Gasol was obviously obtainable before the Lakers stole him. Garnett was also available back then.
I think this FO just doesn't think they need a big man. But that's a different story altogether.

Well, some of those additions would create kind of a logjam with Dirk at the 4. You're either going to have an undersized/poor defending center or a big/slow 3, in some of those situations.

Brand never got dealt. Gasol was not obtainable to the other 29 NBA teams, by all indications. Cuban reportedly tried to make a draft-day play for KG but Boston outbid him. Bosh is intriguing, especially because he's a hometown guy, but who knows if it's something they could pull off. If something as simple as Howard, Bass, Stackhouse and a draft pick could make it happen, sure, pull the trigger, but if the Suns are offering Amare, obviously the Mavs may come up short.

Shank
02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Shaq, kids. Shaq.

ElNono
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Well, some of those additions would create kind of a logjam with Dirk at the 4. You're either going to have an undersized/poor defending center or a big/slow 3, in some of those situations.

Let's just stop with the whole logjam theory. Dirk is a 7 ft shooting guard. If he gets anywhere near the post is because Dallas is missing a post player and he's just being forced to play the role. But he will take a jump shot 9 out of 10 times. He just doesn't have a post game, and at this point you know he won't be developing one. And all the guys I mentioned are average/above average defenders. Heck, I'll add Kaman in there, who is an average defender, and he gives you 20x the offense Dampier does.

Brand never got dealt. Gasol was not obtainable to the other 29 NBA teams, by all indications. Cuban reportedly tried to make a draft-day play for KG but Boston outbid him. Bosh is intriguing, especially because he's a hometown guy, but who knows if it's something they could pull off. If something as simple as Howard, Bass, Stackhouse and a draft pick could make it happen, sure, pull the trigger, but if the Suns are offering Amare, obviously the Mavs may come up short.

Brand is in Philly now. What do you mean he didn't get dealt?
As far as trying to make a move, I just think Cubes didn't want to let go of Josh. The best that can happen to Dallas is for JHo to have a week or two of good games, and then try to deal him right away. If he doesn't get that streak of good games now that Terry is down, it's going to be a lost cause.

sribb43
02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Ridiculous..why over pay for a backup PG that only played well to get his contract? Why add $10 mil in salary for a guy that is maybe slightly better than Barea?

Those rumors of the Mavs trading stack for beno better be false. If the mavs trade stack they sure as hell better get more for that expiring deal than Beno Udrih:vomit:

sribb43
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Brand is in Philly now. What do you mean he didn't get dealt?
As far as trying to make a move, I just think Cubes didn't want to let go of Josh. The best that can happen to Dallas is for JHo to have a week or two of good games, and then try to deal him right away. If he doesn't get that streak of good games now that Terry is down, it's going to be a lost cause.

Actually Brand signed as a FA, he wasnt traded

ElNono
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Ridiculous..why over pay for a backup PG that only played well to get his contract? Why add $10 mil in salary for a guy that is maybe slightly better than Barea?

Those rumors of the Mavs trading stack for beno better be false. If the mavs trade stack they sure as hell get more for that expiring deal than BEo Udrih:vomit:

But Beno is ranked 7 overall in the 'Cubes talent database'(tm)...
You just have to look at this numbers...

ElNono
02-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Actually Brand signed as a FA, he wasnt traded

That's correct. He was available was my point.

Findog
02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
John Salmons and Brad Miller for the Jerry Stackhouse pu-pu platter would be nice.

sribb43
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
John Salmons and Brad Miller for the Jerry Stackhouse pu-pu platter would be nice.

but Stack is coming back after the all-star break to propel this team to greatness

Sportstudi
02-12-2009, 10:44 AM
but Stack is coming back after the all-star break to propel this team to greatness

:lmao

monosylab1k
02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
why would port do this trade? even with frentz off the books, they are absorbing another contract in baron davis who goes for another few seasons, which has eatened up their capspace and are lux tax with miles contract still remaining....

yeah did you even read my post? I put right at the top that there's reports that Portland is looking to trade for an elite PG. And Baron Davis is available.

monosylab1k
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Shaq, kids. Shaq.

The guy we should have traded for 5 years ago when we had the chance.

Rogue
02-12-2009, 11:19 AM
yeah did you even read my post? I put right at the top that there's reports that Portland is looking to trade for an elite PG. And Baron Davis is available.
baron Davis = elite PG ? :lmao

barea > baron davis

the only thing I want to trade Kidd for is Kaman but not Baron Davis. :lol I would play terry and barea at PG, keeping B Davis at the end of the bench. B Davis is an elite cheerleader though.

confined
02-12-2009, 11:24 AM

Those rumors of the Mavs trading stack for beno better be false. If the mavs trade stack they sure as hell better get more for that expiring deal than Beno Udrih:vomit:

JJB > Beno

sribb43
02-12-2009, 11:25 AM
JJB > Beno

After looking at the contracts...JJB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Beno

Findog
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM

This guy is getting ready to return right around the time of the trade deadline? Seems like the Mavs are trying to tout his value either as an expiring or as a veteran off the bench.

sribb43
02-12-2009, 11:35 AM
This guy is getting ready to return right around the time of the trade deadline? Seems like the Mavs are trying to tout his value either as an expiring or as a veteran off the bench.

Well he has one game against NJ to show what he has bc the trade deadline is the next night on the 19th. i say start him and play him 44 minutes

confined
02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Well he has one game against NJ to show what he has bc the trade deadline is the next night on the 19th. i say start him and play him 44 minutes

This seems kinda pointless to me. No one's trading for stack for his skills.

sribb43
02-12-2009, 11:58 AM
This seems kinda pointless to me. No one's trading for stack for his skills.

it was sarcasim...everyone knows Stack is done. his only value is his contract and beating up Jazz players

confined
02-12-2009, 12:01 PM
it was sarcasim...everyone knows Stack is done. his only value is his contract and beating up Jazz players

:tu

JonG
02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
That's correct. He was available was my point.

Yet you got all uppity when I told you he wasn't dealt... :nope

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
The term "inside presence" was tossed around a little too liberally in this thread IMO.

Brand, Bosh, and Garnett don't strike me as "inside presences"... especially on the offensive end, and on defense they're not centers, they're PF's, and we have the best PF in the world :)

Pau Gasol... he's got some nice post move, very good finesse player, not a "presence", Bynum is the presence of the Lakers, and a Dirk/Gasol frontline is soft as fuck.

Yeah... these inside presences don't grow on trees, not everyone has the fortune of tanking the same year a great big man comes out, and then luck their way into them via lottery :).

Kaman and SHaq though, I would consider them inside presences.

Ghazi
02-12-2009, 12:41 PM
We can sit here all day and ponder what the Mavs lacked in recent years that caused them to fall short... interior offense, perimeter defense, "mentality", etc.

But it never really has been the case. Even championship rosters are incomplete. the C's turn it over too much, the Lakers can't guard PG's, the Magic rely on the 3-PT shot, the Cavs get little PF/C production, etc.

The reason we lost in '06 was a statistical fluke series by D-Whistle the primadonna drama queen bitch sex addict who doesn't deserve his ring/wheelchair pussy, bullshit shots by Gary Payton, and bullshit whistles in games 3, 5, and 6. Even when playing our "C" brand of basketball, we were the better team if not for all these flukes and bullshits. What you call no perimeter D I call bullshit.

In '07 we lost because Golden State hit a bunch of fluke bullshit halfcourt H-O-R-S-E shots, and because they lucked their way into the 8 seed. If the Clippers or Lakers wind up in the 8th seed like they were supposed to, we sweep them and go on and win it all, and nobody mentions our lack of low post scoring. What you call no big man I call bullshit H-O-R-S-E shots.

ElNono
02-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Mavericks have discussed trade for Carter
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

PHOENIX – New Jersey and Dallas have discussed a trade that would reunite Vince Carter and Jason Kidd with the Mavericks, a league source familiar with the discussions said Thursday night.

The proposed deal, which isn’t imminent, would send Carter, Keyon Dooling and Eduardo Najera to the Mavericks for Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse.

Nets executives are still reluctant to trade Carter, but are determined to let teams make their best offers all the way to next Thursday’s trade deadline.

The Mavericks have lost guard Jason Terry to a broken hand and desperately need perimeter scoring to stay a contender in the Western Conference. The Nets’ and Mavericks’ front offices engineered the Jason Kidd-Devin Harris blockbuster at the trade deadline a year ago. Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe and Mavs GM Donnie Nelson have been active trading proposals, league sources say.

Carter, 31, has inspired significant interest throughout the league. The San Antonio Spurs are pursuing him and have discussed a proposal that would include Roger Mason, Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto. While the Spurs also have interest in Detroit’s Rasheed Wallace, a Pistons source says the teams have not had any conversations.

For the Nets, the motivation to move Carter is mostly financial. The franchise is losing tens of millions of dollars a year and moving Carter would clear more cap space for 2010. Nevertheless, Nets president Rod Thorn wants to make the playoffs and believes he has his best chance with Carter on the roster. Carter is in the second season of a five-year extension that pays him close to $80 million through 2012. Only a fraction of the contract’s final season is guaranteed.

Carter is having a good season, averaging 21 points, five rebounds and five assists. The Nets are 24-29 and one game out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au6HkR91LuRgC2FbnEMPBX28vLYF?slug=aw-carternets021209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Banzai
02-12-2009, 11:27 PM

PHOENIX – New Jersey and Dallas have discussed a trade that would reunite Vince Carter and Jason Kidd with the Mavericks, a league source familiar with the discussions said Thursday night.

The proposed deal, which isn’t imminent, would send Carter, Keyon Dooling and Eduardo Najera to the Mavericks for Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse.

Nets executives are still reluctant to trade Carter, but are determined to let teams make their best offers all the way to next Thursday’s trade deadline.

The Mavericks have lost guard Jason Terry to a broken hand and desperately need perimeter scoring to stay a contender in the Western Conference. The Nets’ and Mavericks’ front offices engineered the Jason Kidd-Devin Harris blockbuster at the trade deadline a year ago. Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe and Mavs GM Donnie Nelson have been active trading proposals, league sources say.

Carter, 31, has inspired significant interest throughout the league. The San Antonio Spurs are pursuing him and have discussed a proposal that would include Roger Mason, Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto. While the Spurs also have interest in Detroit’s Rasheed Wallace, a Pistons source says the teams have not had any conversations.

For the Nets, the motivation to move Carter is mostly financial. The franchise is losing tens of millions of dollars a year and moving Carter would clear more cap space for 2010. Nevertheless, Nets president Rod Thorn wants to make the playoffs and believes he has his best chance with Carter on the roster. Carter is in the second season of a five-year extension that pays him close to $80 million through 2012. Only a fraction of the contract’s final season is guaranteed.

Carter is having a good season, averaging 21 points, five rebounds and five assists. The Nets are 24-29 and one game out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au6HkR91LuRgC2FbnEMPBX28vLYF?slug=aw-carternets021209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/hahawtfho1.gif (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/hahawtfho1.gif)

endrity
02-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Carter is such a divisive figure. He has played well this season, but his past is filled with severe ups and downs. I don't know how he would feel to be reunited with Kidd. There is a part of me that wants to do the deal, but I am not too sure.

The other thing though, Cuban should try to stay away from Rod Thorn as much as he can after what Thorn did to him last year.

mavs>spurs2
02-12-2009, 11:34 PM
why do the mavs insist on a 2 guard when our 3rd best player is a swingman, JET is a 2, and antoine wright is playing amazing? our need is still post scoring as it has been for the entirety of our franchise.

ElNono
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Carter is such a divisive figure. He has played well this season, but his past is filled with severe ups and downs. I don't know how he would feel to be reunited with Kidd. There is a part of me that wants to do the deal, but I am not too sure.

The other thing though, Cuban should try to stay away from Rod Thorn as much as he can after what Thorn did to him last year.

Najera is a good, hard working player. I think the Mavs would come up on top on that trade.

Rogue
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM

great proposal. Gerald green will have more time at SF and dooling is a pretty good leverage for us to trade for a backup center. Carter is less athletic than he used to be but he's become more skillful and experienced as well, anyway it's a great trade for us even despite getting rid of josh howard.

endrity
02-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Najera was good when he had some athleticism to go with his hard work. However he always lacked a true position, too undersized for PF, not a good shooter for a SF. He started to have bad knees in 2003, and now it's 2009. I don't know how much he can contribute now.

iggypop123
02-13-2009, 12:38 AM
so Vandeweghe is trying to make the team look like the mavs to lure lebron?

monosylab1k
02-13-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't know how he would feel to be reunited with Kidd.

I've heard that the feeling is mutual, and that Kidd wants no part of being reunited with VC.

endrity
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
I've heard that the feeling is mutual, and that Kidd wants no part of being reunited with VC.

Exactly, VC actually has played better once Kidd left so I suspect there is some bad blood in there.

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2009, 02:20 AM
why the fuck did they give Devean George his bird rights back?