PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Center, Spurs Internships

hillcountry09
02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I am currently a student at Baylor University and I have begun the search for internships for this coming summer. I was just wondering if there was anyone on this board who could provide any information about internships that the AT&T Center or Spurs offer.

Jekka
02-12-2009, 12:38 PM
One of the best things you can do for stuff like this is to just start calling people. Call them, email them, follow up with more calls and emails until you either hear what you want to hear or they tell you there's absolutely nothing. Try to find email addresses for people that work with the Spurs franchise and go to town.

http://www.nba.com/careers/internship_program.html - that's the NBA internship site - applications are due this month, though, so get on it if you're interested. February is a little late to start looking for formal internship programs, so if you need recs from professors make sure you contact them ASAP and let them know you'd like a letter. That particular program is on the east coast, so it may not be what you're looking for, but it is a start.

Also, I don't know what your major at Baylor is, but be sure you include that in your inquiries. A lot of programs will not take interns if they are ineligible for relevant credits at their schools.

PakiDan
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Tim Salier - Director of Sales - Spurs Sports and Entertainment. (210) 444-5050.

ploto
02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I know this will make people mad, but truth be told--

Spurs internships have often been a lot of unkept promises about 20 hour per week agreements ending up 60 hour per week jobs. The reward at the end is being offered a job that pays less than $8 per hour after you have spent an entire year working 250 hours per month for $500 per month. If that is what you want, go for it, but don't say you were not warned.

Jekka
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I know this will make people mad, but truth be told--

Spurs internships have often been a lot of unkept promises about 20 hour per week agreements ending up 60 hour per week jobs. The reward at the end is being offered a job that pays less than $8 per hour after you have spent an entire year working 250 hours per month for $500 per month. If that is what you want, go for it, but don't say you were not warned.

A lot of internships are like this, though - mostly in areas where people will do this kind of crazy shit to get the job in the end. I've heard mixed things about trying to get decently paid internships in this economy, too. On the one hand, companies have laid people off and might be willing to take on an intern they don't have to pay benefits, but on the other hand, an intern is oftentimes and expense they don't have to be bothered to take if they don't have the money.

Sometimes, when it comes to getting the credits, you just want to be able to do something that you might enjoy. I've applied to for a shit ton of paid internships for this summer, but they are really fucking hard to come by. I have an unpaid one lined up just in case, but this is a crazy climate to be looking for this kind of position in.

ploto
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM
A lot of internships are like this, though - mostly in areas where people will do this kind of crazy shit to get the job in the end. I've heard mixed things about trying to get decently paid internships in this economy, too. On the one hand, companies have laid people off and might be willing to take on an intern they don't have to pay benefits, but on the other hand, an intern is oftentimes and expense they don't have to be bothered to take if they don't have the money.

Sometimes, when it comes to getting the credits, you just want to be able to do something that you might enjoy. I've applied to for a shit ton of paid internships for this summer, but they are really fucking hard to come by. I have an unpaid one lined up just in case, but this is a crazy climate to be looking for this kind of position in.

To the ones I know- a lot of promises were made that they would set up interviews with corporate sponsors and it never happened. It really was not an internship, but more like a real job where they paid them $500 a month and they worked like dogs, holding over them that they could get rid of them at any time and deny them their college credit they needed for graduation. Basically they paid them $2 per hour and got no benefits. Worst of all- it was not even fun.

PakiDan
02-12-2009, 10:33 PM
To the ones I know- a lot of promises were made that they would set up interviews with corporate sponsors and it never happened. It really was not an internship, but more like a real job where they paid them $500 a month and they worked like dogs, holding over them that they could get rid of them at any time and deny them their college credit they needed for graduation. Basically they paid them $2 per hour and got no benefits. Worst of all- it was not even fun.

I COMPLETELY agree with PLOTO. I was one of the lucky ones to get a JOB not an INTERNSHIP with SS&E. HORRIBLE place to work if you want a serious career. The pay scales SUCK. The major draw is the glam of the position. Being in the mix of things. If you want to pay a mortgage and excel - this is not the place. My best friend got best rookie employee by the NBA and HE was suffering to make ends meet. All show - no shit.

tlongII
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Internships are about getting your foot in a door and getting experience. At the end of the day the college credit is irrelevant.

Jekka
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Holy shit, seriously? I don't think I've ever heard about anyone being treated that badly in an internship. That's horrible.

Internships are about getting your foot in a door and getting experience. At the end of the day the college credit is irrelevant.
My program requires 8 credit hours of internship (60 hours of work per credit hour, or 480 hours of internship), so the credit is fairly relevant to a lot of people in any kind of similar situation.

tlongII
02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Holy shit, seriously? I don't think I've ever heard about anyone being treated that badly in an internship. That's horrible.

My program requires 8 credit hours of internship (60 hours of work per credit hour, or 480 hours of internship), so the credit is fairly relevant to a lot of people in any kind of similar situation.

That's crazy. In most business fields internships are scarce commodities that are highly sought after. The business schools I'm aware of don't generally require them for graduation.