PDA

View Full Version : Christie a mysterious no-show with ORL

ShoogarBear
03-05-2005, 09:00 PM
You know things are bad when noted psychology guru Steve Francis is offering advice . . .

Link (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050305/SPORTS/503050336/1002)

Christie out of lineup with mystery illness

BY JOHN DENTON
FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO - Doug Christie is the coverboy on this month's Magic Magazine under the title, "Fitting In."

But that's been anything but the case of late with the veteran shooting guard.

After getting demoted from the starting lineup in favor of rookie Jameer Nelson, Christie played just five, 12 and six minutes. He didn't show up for Thursday's practice after calling in sick. He also was absent from Friday's morning practice and the game against the New York Knicks. And after the Magic defeated the Knicks, he failed to join the team on its flight to New Jersey for tonight's game against the Nets, but he could join the team at some point today.The team did not identify the illness.

Curiously, Christie's absence comes on the heels of him admitting he is highly frustrated with his role in Orlando. He was traded from Sacramento to Orlando on Jan. 10 for Cuttino Mobley and Michael Bradley. He didn't play in the second half of Wednesday's game against his former team.

Magic general manager John Weisbrod said he spoke with Christie on Thursday night and was planning to meet with him again Friday. Weisbrod said he had no reason to believe that Christie wasn't sick. Christie is making $7.55 million this season, and is due $8.2 million next year, the final season of his contract.

"The many conversations I've had with him on the subject he's been fine," Weisbrod said. "I don't know the tact with regard to his agent or his family, but Doug's been in the league a long time and he understands the way things work. So, I don't know if any of this is new or different to him. I'm not that concerned about it."

Magic point guard Steve Francis said he could understand Christie's frustration.

"If it's the case of him not being able to handle the trade, I would feel the same way," Francis said. "They traded for him and brought him here to play, and he's not playing. I'd be (upset) myself. If that's the way he feels, I have no problem with that. But it's my job to keep my teammates happy and looking forward and not getting sidetracked. We're at a crucial point where we need everybody. Doug has been in the league long enough and knows exactly what he's doing."

Rummpd
03-06-2005, 07:24 PM
His scuzy wife passed on something to him.

ShoogarBear
03-06-2005, 07:38 PM
You can call Jackie Christie a lot of things. But I don't know where you got "scuzy" from.