PDA

View Full Version : 90 points

Solid D
02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
At this writing, the Spurs enter the All Star break at 35-16. Much has been said regarding their string of 32-0 when scoring 100+ points, 19-0 this season. Less is said about their 37-5 record when scoring 90+ points this NBA year. Even less is said regarding their 5-11 record when they score under 90 points.

Now, you might think their losing margin in those games scoring <90 points might be somewhat low, but actually, the average margin in those 11 losses is -12.27 points.

If you just look at the statistics, you would think...okay, that's easy, the Spurs just need to score 90 points every game by running a more up-tempo offense. It may not be that simple, though. How would you approach the next 31 games and the playoffs?

I've got my theory about this... what's yours? :stirpot::wakeup

BlackSwordsMan
02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
don't play defense and just score 90+

Bartleby
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I think it has a lot to do with whether or not the Spurs are making their three pointers. With the exception of the Bucks game, when the Spurs made a blistering 62.5% of their 3's (and missed the 100 pt. mark by only 2 points), the three pt. % in their losses is in the low 30's or 20's.

I'm sure there are other factors, but that seems to be a biggie.

manufor3
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Score 90 or more?

lurker23
02-12-2009, 07:39 PM
The Duncan-Popovich Spurs have always been a team in which the offense feeds significantly off the defense, and the defense feeds significantly off the offense. I know this sounds basic, but the bottom line is that the majority of teams in the NBA consider offense and defense to be completely separate entities; the Spurs know that both are highly critical to the other. Consider the following:

1. Yes, the Spurs are a good transition defense team, but they're an even better half-court defensive team. The best way to force an opponent to play your half-court game is to make shots. When the Spurs offense is running on all cylinders and shots are falling, more athletic, up-tempo teams have a hard time creating offensive opportunities for themselves against the Spurs half-court set.

2. On the flip side, the Spurs transition offense is highly underrated. They might not get a huge amount of fast break points, but they do create a lot of opportunities before the defense is fully set. When the Spurs defense is on track and they get rebounds, they're always looking for the quick outlet up-court. It may not lead to a fast break basket, but it often leads to:
a. Tony Parker driving between 3-4 defenders and getting a layup
b. Tim Duncan getting good position on the low block
c. Duncan or another big man getting a good look as the "trailer" that isn't covered well
d. Defenses over-collapsing on the paint and allowing a wide-open three pointer.

Conversely, when the offense isn't in-sync, or the defense isn't rotating correctly, or when they have a hard time getting rebounds, the Spurs are not likely to score 90 points, and can get demolished by more athletic teams and teams with more offense-oriented weapons.

iggypop123
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
try and then lose to the lakers in the playoffs

Solid D
02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
I think it has a lot to do with whether or not the Spurs are making their three pointers. With the exception of the Bucks game, when the Spurs made a blistering 62.5% of their 3's (and missed the 100 pt. mark by only 2 points), the three pt. % in their losses is in the low 30's or 20's.

I'm sure there are other factors, but that seems to be a biggie.

You have a pretty good sense of the 3-point aspect. Actually, in the 11 losses where the Spurs scored under 90 points, they shot 30.5% (72-236).

The most obvious thing is that the Spurs just missed shots in these games. In the 11 losses under 90, the Spurs shot 39.1% while their opponents averaged 46.8%, even though the opponents took 2 fewer shots/game.

BTW, their season averages for FG% and 3-point shooting are 46.5% and 39.2% respectively. Their Opp. FG% is 45.8%, only 1 pct. point below the opponents average in the 11 losses under 90.

With the current rules favoring offense and the diminished interior length the Spurs have...they aren't holding teams under 45% shooting, nor are they holding them below 94 ppg. The Spurs are betting they will win by low turnovers and out-shooting their opponents. 90 points just ain't cuttin' it.

m33p0
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
score 100+ everytime?