PDA

View Full Version : Short interview with Roger Mason

GSH
02-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I didn't see this posted elsewhere on ST... http://www.hoopsaddict.com/2009/02/12/one-on-one-with-roger-mason-jr/

One-On-One With Roger Mason Jr.
Published by Ryan McNeill on February 12, 2009

Sometimes you just have to have faith.

Despite bouncing around the NBA earlier in his career, it appears that Roger Mason Jr. has finally found a home in the NBA. After brief stints in Chicago, Toronto and Washington, he’s now found himself as the starting small forward on the San Antonio Spurs. It’s well deserved as he’s currently ranked sixth three-point shooting percentage (44.8%) and seventh in three-pointers made this season (109). With that kind of perimeter shooting he’s become the perfect compliment to the post play of Tim Duncan and the slashing style of play from point guard Tony Parker.

Mason Jr. recently sat down with Hoops Addict to talk about taking part in All-Star weekend, his role with the Spurs and how his faith allowed him to stick with his NBA dream.

Ryan McNeill: You’ve got a big weekend coming up. How excited are you to be part of All-Star weekend?
Roger Mason Jr.: I’m excited because as a kid I dreamed about playing and participating in All-Star weekend. It’s going to be a lot of fun.

McNeill: I noticed that during the game tonight you were guarding Jason Kapono for extended stretches. Was there any friendly bantering going on between you two?
Mason Jr.: (Laughing) No, he actually didn’t mention it. I was hoping to talk with him a little bit about it but I’m sure I’ll talk with him down there.

McNeill: You’ve had a long journey to get to this point. After bouncing around between Chicago, Toronto and Washington, did you ever think you’d be starting on a team that’s being talked about as a team that can win an NBA Championship? Does it make it more rewarding knowing all you’ve gone through to get to this point?
Mason Jr.: Yeah, it’s nice but the rewards not there yet because we haven’t won a championship and that’s my only goal. That’s why I signed here and that’s what I want to be a part of. It’s nice to have some success but I want to have more.

McNeill: We couldn’t talk before the game because you were heading to chapel. So, I’ve got to ask, how has your faith helped you stay with your NBA dream when some guys might have given up?
Mason Jr.: My faith has been everything for me. The personal relationship I have with God and just knowing that he’s always there has been everything because it’s not always been easy. There were times when it didn’t look good for me and I didn’t know if I would play, let alone be back in the NBA. So just staying consistent and keeping the faith has meant everything to me.

McNeill: Thanks for your time. Good luck this weekend and during your run for an NBA Championship.
Mason Jr.: Thank you.

Photo Credit: Nathan Gilbert

ManuTP9
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Mase is a good man

duncan228
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Short but sweet. Mason has been a great fit for the Spurs. Thanks for posting.

byrdman31
02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
$

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Mason's my dogg!!!!

m33p0
02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Mason the anti-Manu?

csr3159
02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Mason is so money!!!