PDA

View Full Version : Charley Rosen: Gasol is better than Dirk Nowitzki

RedsLakers24
02-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Quote:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0grmc4U6mef7U/610x.jpg

Who's better, Pau Gasol or Dirk Nowitzki?— Ian Guballa, Santiago City, Philippines

It isn't possible to make a truly equitable evaluation of these two players simply because their roles on their current teams are so different. Whereas Nowitzki is the Mavs' go-to scorer, Gasol is the Lakers' second-option.

In any case, Nowitzki has a decided edge in a number of categories: strength, shooting range, the ability to create his own shots, free-throw shooting, and handling in a broken field. If Gasol's lifetime shooting percentage is considerably higher than Nowitzki's, it's only because the latter routinely takes more perimeter shots. And both have exceptional off-hands.

Nowitzki scores more points because he takes more shots and is also more adept at inducing fouls and getting to the stripe.

There isn't much to choose between the two in the rebounding department, with Gasol being a better offensive rebounder and Nowitzki having the edge in defensive retrievals.

It's difficult to discern who is more dependable in the clutch, simply because Nowitzki (with Dallas) has been involved in many more tight endgame situations than has Gasol (with Memphis). On the basis of Gasol's performance in last season's championship series — which was mostly solid but often spotty and never spectacular — the jury is still out.

Although neither is more than adequate on defense, Gasol's longer arms make him the superior shot-blocker. Also give the advantage to Gasol in passing, and basketball IQ. On the basis of these last two criteria, Gasol gets a slight edge.

Ghazi
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Yeah... No

hater
02-13-2009, 01:44 AM
What a moron. IF Dirk was in the Lakers they'd be going for their 2nd trophy

endrity
02-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Look I am all for free speech, and innovative thinking.

But this is simply stupid, and uninformed. Dirk has whoped Gasol when he had a better team (06) or when he had an inferior team (Germany v. Spain). Dirk has always manhandled Gasol, and all one has to do is go back and look at their duels through the years.

Gasol is underrated in the league, the Lakers quality of play increased dramatically once he arrived, and Kobe owes half of his MVP to him, and arguably is the 3rd best PF in the league right now (I consider Big Al to be as pure a center as one can be) but there are no numbers or history to back up the claim that Gasol is better than Dirk.

j.dizzle
02-13-2009, 01:47 AM
It doesnt matter whose better..Gasol is the 2nd or 3rd option & Dirk is the 1st option. Gasol is a better passer though but Dirk has way too much pressure on him to score. it must be nice having kobe on your team haha

portpower_11
02-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Gasol is better than Dirk ?
:lmao

alchemist
02-13-2009, 01:50 AM
:lol

Dirk + Kobe = undefeated in the regular season & post season

Bob Lanier
02-13-2009, 01:50 AM
CBA coaches should know better than to start an sentence with the word "whereas".

mystargtr34
02-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Dirk >>> Gasol

If Duncan switched places with Antawn Jamison, Rosen would say Jamison > Duncan because the Spurs would still have a better record than the Wizards - so people should stop taking this douche seriously.

And as Dirk proved tonight, Dirk > Garnett.

portpower_11
02-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Anybody still remember 06 playoffs?

Dirk school Gasol at will and Dallas Swept Memphis

j.dizzle
02-13-2009, 01:53 AM
& before Bynum went down, pau was the 3rd option for those 5-6 games when bynum was averaging 26 ppg. When you dont have as much pressure on your back most players play a lot better. Dirks shot is amazing for a 7 footer though. His shot is freakin beautiful when hes nailing them.

BUMP
02-13-2009, 01:56 AM
im as big of an objective fan as youll ever find, but cmon this is ridiculous:lol

Ghazi
02-13-2009, 01:59 AM
NBA writers, and fans are just annoying with knee jerk comments like that.

Dirk and Gasol are in their primes, and were 2 years ago. 2 years ago this argument would e absurd, now Gasol is on an elite team and Dirk is on a good but unspectacular team , that doesn't mean Gasol suddenly acquired superior skill.

Our beloved Dirk has a seat reserved in the hall of fame right now and is one of the 5-6 best PF's to ever play the game. The same cannot be said about Pau Gasol.

Just the way it is I guess. Amare's public image is very low right now, say he got traded to a contender and won a few titles, then of course the perception of Amare would be changed, maybe people would even begin viewing him as an all time PF. IDK :)

This article is very disrespectful to our beloved Dirk Nowitzki though... this would more or less be the same as asking who is better, Kobe or Joe Johnson? Both are very good shooting guards, but clearly no debate should exist.

Rogue
02-13-2009, 02:07 AM
"gasol is better than dirk" explains why charley Rosen is Charley Rosen.

ElNono
02-13-2009, 02:12 AM
I stopped reading at Rosen...

j.dizzle
02-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I stopped reading at Rosen...

haha a writers job is to make a name for himselft. Even though most of the shit he says is dumb, he's still getting the attention. Whatever pays the bills :lol

dirk4mvp
02-13-2009, 02:21 AM
This is one of the more retarded articles I've read.

ezau
02-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Dirk is arguably the best European player of his generation. Charles Rosen is an imbecile.

dirk4mvp
02-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Dirk is arguably the best European player of his generation. Charles Rosen is an imbecile.

arguably?

Xylus
02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
arguably?

I'd take Dragic over Dirk any day of the week.

scanry
02-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Rosen has always sucked Phil Jackson's dick. He has PJ's so far up his mouth that it's not funny.

BTW he always mentions how he & Phil were all cozy & gay in the ABA days.

scanry
02-13-2009, 02:54 AM
arguably?

Yeah arguably. Dirk is a grade A choker down the stretch. I hope you saw how he clanks free throws today when the game was on the line.

I'd take Manu & Parker over Dirk any day of the week. Atleast those guys have delivered during the post season.

Ghazi
02-13-2009, 02:58 AM
Yeah arguably. Dirk is a grade A choker down the stretch. I hope you saw how he clanks free throws today when the game was on the line.

I'd take Manu & Parker over Dirk any day of the week. Atleast those guys have delivered during the post season.

Holy hell you're an idiot.

Brickhouse
02-13-2009, 02:58 AM
he missed one FT when the game was already over. try again.

Ghazi
02-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Speaking of choking, how about Manu's touch foul against Dirk? How about the spurs blowing a 20 point lead in game 1 last year and a 17 point lead in game 5?

Or a 2-0 lead in 2004 to the Lakers?

Yeah shut the fuck up, thanks.:king

sribb43
02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
I'd take Dragic over Dirk any day of the week.

so would Steve Kerr

scanry
02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Speaking of choking, how about Manu's touch foul against Dirk? How about the spurs blowing a 20 point lead in game 1 last year and a 17 point lead in game 5?

Or a 2-0 lead in 2004 to the Lakers?

Yeah shut the fuck up, thanks.:king

You really want to go there? :sleep

I can bring up the 2006 Finals & the Golden State series for all i could care, but hey i think they deserve (actually only Dirk deserves) a break. The rest of the Mavs team are an embarrassment.

BTW nice going Cuban for overpaying a bunch of scrubs. Dirk deserves more than that 20 mil you're paying to play for these Mavs.

endrity
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
You really want to go there? :sleep

I can bring up the 2006 Finals & the Golden State series for all i could care, but hey i think they deserve (actually only Dirk deserves) a break. The rest of the Mavs team are an embarrassment.

BTW nice going Cuban for overpaying a bunch of scrubs. Dirk deserves more than that 20 mil you're paying to play for these Mavs.

Right, this thread is about Dirk. If you wanna blame him for all the shortcomings of the Mavs then do it in another thread. Dirk IS the best European or foreign player of his generation, and arguably the best non-American of all time (if we keep Hakeem out of that list).

The list of non-US players of all time goes something like this:
1. Sabonis
2. Dirk
3. Oscar Schmidt

and then the rest.

leemajors
02-13-2009, 09:17 AM
gasol is a better back to the basket post player than Dirk, but that's about it.

resistanze
02-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Gasol better than Dirk? Seriously?

gaKNOW!blee
02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Right, this thread is about Dirk. If you wanna blame him for all the shortcomings of the Mavs then do it in another thread. Dirk IS the best European or foreign player of his generation, and arguably the best non-American of all time (if we keep Hakeem out of that list).

1. Sabonis
2. Dirk
3. Oscar Schmidt

and then the rest.

Manu > Sabonis.

Shank
02-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Holy fuck, this scanry guy is an idiot.

Double-Up
02-13-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't know what Rosen is on but I'm taking Dirk on my team over Gasol 10/10 times.

IronMexican
02-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I love Pau, but Dirk is simply better.

hater
02-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Anybody still remember 06 playoffs?

Dirk school Gasol at will and Dallas Swept Memphis

come on :rolleyes

Dirk had great teamates. Gasol had trash.

Back then, Gasol > Dirk.

but now it's the opposite

pauls931
02-13-2009, 09:57 AM
All I say is he's the perfect complement for the lakers and an example of how team financials can f' things up occasionally.

IronMexican
02-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Back then, Gasol > Dirk.

Dirk has always been better.

hater
02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I disagree. Dirk has become better since 2006. Gasol has stayed the same or regressed

dirk4mvp
02-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Dirk > Pau

Dirk > Manu + Parker

dirk4mvp
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Dirk averages 25 and 11 in the postseason. You're a fucking idiot.

hater
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Dirk > Pau

Dirk > Manu + Parker

Duncan >>>>>> DIrk

resistanze
02-13-2009, 10:05 AM
No, Dirk has always been better.

I think Pau is actually playing the best ball of his career. He might have had better numbers in the past while overextending himself as the #1 option.

IronMexican
Manu delivered in last years WCF :lol

djohn2oo8
That is such bullshit. Everybody knows Gasol plays NO DEFENSE

dirk4mvp
02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Duncan >>>>>> DIrk

Well, now that we've got that out of the way, do you have anything relevant to add?

sribb43
02-13-2009, 10:11 AM

Back then, Gasol > Dirk.

how about Gasol has never been and never will be better than Dirk

ElNono

1. Sabonis
2. Dirk
3. Oscar Schmidt

and then the rest.

Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about...

hater
I think Pau is actually playing the best ball of his career. He might have had better numbers in the past while overextending himself as the #1 option.

no way dude. you have not seen Pau play in Memphis then. he was a beast. He was mentioned in MVP talk a few years ago.

Shank
02-13-2009, 10:14 AM
no way dude. you have not seen Pau play in Memphis then. he was a beast. He was mentioned in MVP talk a few years ago.

And yet, Dirk still whipped it out and nutted all over his face whenever they matched up.

ElNono
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Let me add that while I completely think Dirk is soft, as I said many times, Gasol is the softest bitch in the league... There's not even an argument there...

hater
02-13-2009, 10:18 AM
And yet, Dirk still whipped it out and nutted all over his face whenever they matched up.

:rolleyes

again, Dirk had a monster team around him. Gasol, not so much

Ghazi
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Basketball is a "soft" sport.

dirk4mvp
02-13-2009, 10:20 AM

no, he wasn't. Ever.

Shank
02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
:rolleyes

again, Dirk had a monster team around him. Gasol, not so much

Bullshit. That 02 team was a monster? Just admit you're wrong already.

scanry
02-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Why are we even having a Dirk-Gasoft discussion.

Clearly Rosen has been sucking Phil Jackson's salty balls for some time now.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fCi8LadDA2lr/340x.jpg

Gasol is crying... :lol

resistanze
02-13-2009, 10:32 AM
You must be thinking of someone else. Back in '06 when they got swept by the Mavs, Gasol averaged 20.4/8.9 on 50% shooting. Dirk averaged 26.6/9.0 of 48% shooting.

Heck, Gasol is averaging 18.3/9.4 on a career high 56% shooting this year. I can't see how he was any better back then.

portpower_11
02-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Back then, Gasol > Dirk.

---------------

Gazzilies actually have a good team that year.

However, they choke and not even won a single game in that series.

No one predict a Sweep before the series.

Dirk has some consistant and unbelievable number for that four games.

I guess that most Mavs fans and Gazzilies fans remember the game four.

How badly gasol and his team choke, Dirk hit a 3 game to tie game and win in the OT:rollin

Harry Callahan
02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Dirk is better - a more dangerous scorer. Gasol's good Memphis teams (when Hubie Brown coached them) had zero playoff success. In addition, Gasol had some health problems related to his national team service - I think he had a stress fracture issue a few years ago after Olympic play that cost him half a season or more in Memphis that helped lead to the eventual blow up of the Grizzles roster.

Dirk will drag his butt out there and compete when his ankles are all messed up. Gasol does not show that kind of toughness.

Gasol is much more effective as the second or third option in LA, however. If Memphis had given him to SA, for example, he would have done very well complementing other really good players.

Rosen is buddies with PJ and likes the Lakers - that's no secret.

stretch
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
hater is just a fucking idiot

why do people take him seriously? his takes are about as stupid as ducks takes are, but can actually spell.

portpower_11
02-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Back then, Gasol > Dirk.

Had you watch any games between Mavs and Grizzilies before?

Grizzilies has a good team, though not better than Mavs.

Gasol has major help from M Miller, E Jones, Atkins and B Jackson, Battier.

Dirk has Howard, Terry and Stackhouse.

comparing their first round playoff head to head stats

Dirk

31.3 pt, 7.8 rebounds and 3 assists, 1.25 blks

Gasol

20.3 pt, 6.8 rebounds and 3 assists, 1.25 blks

Dirk's FG, 3pt and FT percentage: .506, .421, .868,

Gasol's : .433, 0, .767

Where's Gasol better?

hater
02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
hater is just a fucking idiot

why do people take him seriously? his takes are about as stupid as ducks takes are, but can actually spell.

:tu that's a compliment coming from you.

doesn't change the fact that Dirk has had great teammates around him the last 5-6 years. As opposed to Gasol who has had trash in Memphis. For God's sakes Gasol was starting next to Tsakalidis

Dirk is >>> Gasol now. But this is because he has improved tons in the last 3-4 years. IMO Gasol was better 4-5 years ago. don't be butthurt mavfans

portpower_11
02-13-2009, 10:57 AM

doesn't change the fact that Dirk has had great teammates around him the last 5-6 years. As opposed to Gasol who has had trash in Memphis. For God's sakes Gasol was starting next to Tsakalidis

Dirk is >>> Gasol now. But this is because he has improved tons in the last 3-4 years. IMO Gasol was better 4-5 years ago. don't be butthurt mavfans

Really?

6-8 years ago, Dirk has outplayed K M, K G and R W in playoffs, what have Gasol at that time?

Do you honestly think, Gasol will be competitive against KG and KM?

stretch
02-13-2009, 11:04 AM

Gasol had guys like Jason Williams, Mike Miller, Bobby Jackson, Eddie Jones, Shane Battier, Bonzi Wells, James Posey... I'd say those are some pretty solid players. In the year that they played the Mavs in the playoffs, he had 6 other guys that averaged double digit scoring.

To say he had trash is ridiculous. He simply is not capable of raising the play of his teammates as the #1 option on his team. He is a #2 at best.

Dirk > Gasol. Always has, always will.

Killakobe81
02-13-2009, 11:19 AM
:married:
Rosen has always sucked Phil Jackson's dick. He has PJ's so far up his mouth that it's not funny.

BTW he always mentions how he & Phil were all cozy & gay in the ABA days.

I agree with 3 points here
1. Dirk IS better than Gasol
2. Dirk does does NOT have the help that the other PF's do
3. rOSEN IS IN OVE WITH pHIL

i WILL SAY THIS gASOL is a great player at PF I would only take Garnett ND dIRK OVER HIM ...

Duncan and Jefferson are really centers

here is my top 5 centers
1. Duncan
2. Howard
3. Yao
4. Al Jefferson
5. Bynum

PF's
1. Garnett
2. Dirk
3. Pau
4. Amare
5. Bosh

SF's
1. Lebron
2. Pierce
3. Melo
4. Granger
5. vince, Rjefferson, iggy and Prince

SG's
1.Kobe
2. wade
3. Joe Johnsom
4. Manu
5. Hamilton & Ray Allen

PG's
1. Dwill
2. CP3
3. Parker/Devin Harris
4. Chauncey/Nash
5. Rose/Rondo/Westbrook

RedsLakers24
02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
When laker fans agree that Dirk is better than Pau then its an easy decision that Dirk is better than Pau, becasue we laker fans are biased but we all agree that Dirk is better than Pau, but if Pau wins rings and Dirk doesnt i think Pau will be remember more than Dirk but Dirk will still be the better player

TwinTowers
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Manu > Sabonis.

I guess you didn't see Sabonis in his prime.

monosylab1k
02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
:lmao there's people who said they'd take Manu over Dirk?

Do you morons realize that if Cuban called up the Spurs and offered Dirk for Manu straight up, Manu wouldn't have enough time to pick the snot out of his giant fucking nose before Spurs management had his bags packed and a ticket for the first flight out to Dallas?

TwinTowers
02-13-2009, 12:58 PM

i WILL SAY THIS gASOL is a great player at PF I would only take Garnett ND dIRK OVER HIM ...

here is my top 5 centers
1. Duncan
2. Howard
3. Yao
4. Al Jefferson
5. Bynum

PF's
1. Garnett
2. Dirk
3. Pau
4. Amare
5. Bosh

SF's
1. Lebron
2. Pierce
3. Melo
4. Granger

SG's
1.Kobe
2. wade
3. Joe Johnsom
4. Manu
5. Hamilton & Ray Allen

PG's
1. Dwill
2. CP3
3. Parker/Devin Harris
4. Chauncey/Nash
5. Rose/Rondo/Westbrook

I wouldn't put D Harris in the top 3 PG just yet... I think he should be 5th with Rondo. Rose/Westbrook don't belong to the list yet. I also will swap Manu and Ray Allen in the SG's, Pau and Bosh in the PF's. Besides these exceptions I pretty much agree with your assessment

sribb43
02-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Do you morons realize that if Cuban called up the Spurs and offered Dirk for Manu straight up, Manu wouldn't have enough time to pick the snot out of his giant fucking nose before Spurs management had his bags packed and a ticket for the first flight out to Dallas?

:rollin

endrity
02-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Manu > Sabonis.

Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about...

You guys have really no idea what Sabonis and Schmidt meant to international basketball before foreign players enter the NBA. I suggest before you completely criticize me, to at least read up on them a bit, and see how a young and healthy Sabonis completely dominated a young David Robinson in the 88 Olympics or what Schmidt did to the US team in the Pan - Am games of 87 I think, or the incomparable scorer that he was throughout the 80s.

And since you are on the topic read about Meneghin and Galis as well. There was international basketball long before Manu and Tony boys.

As for the topic, I appreciate Laker fans for showing considerable objectivity here. Dirk > Gasol, and it has always been like that even though as I said I think Gasol was and still is a bit underappreciated by casual fans.

I also think Dirk > KG, last night's game giving a pretty good proof of that again, but I also understand how it's such a divisive issue since one is a vastly superior offensive player and the other a vastly superior defensive player.

monosylab1k
02-13-2009, 02:37 PM
people make the mistake of remembering Arvydas Sabonis as an old man with Portland.

If he had played in the NBA 10 years earlier than he had, we'd be talking about him as an all-time great NBA player.

endrity
02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
people make the mistake of remember Arvydas Sabonis as an old man with Portland.

If he had played in the NBA 10 years earlier than he had, we'd be talking about him as an all-time great NBA player.

Exactly. It's not his NBA career that people hail, it's actually the young Sabonis in the late 80s/early 90s that people remember so fondly. The thing that always drives me crazy about this argument, is that it takes very little research to see what kind of player he was. A true freak of nature, a 7-3 beast with nimble feet and basketball instincts of a PG.

To most basketball fans in Europe (Kill_Bill_Pana excluded), Sabonis is head and shoulders above anyone else that played there, with very little argument about it. It's a shame that most NBA fans don't try to understand why.

jack sommerset
02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
:lol Gasol has longer arms. Thats it for me,Gasol is better.

monosylab1k
02-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Exactly. It's not his NBA career that people hail, it's actually the young Sabonis in the late 80s/early 90s that people remember so fondly. The thing that always drives me crazy about this argument, is that it takes very little research to see what kind of player he was. A true freak of nature, a 7-3 beast with nimble feet and basketball instincts of a PG.

To most basketball fans in Europe (Kill_Bill_Pana excluded), Sabonis is head and shoulders above anyone else that played there, with very little argument about it. It's a shame that most NBA fans don't try to understand why.

Yeah it's sad that politics prevented him from playing in the NBA in his prime. He came to the NBA in his 30's, with no mobility whatsoever after all sorts of knee & ankle injuries, and he still had enough skill & intelligence to become an excellent role player for 5 or 6 years.

Kobe™
02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I sadly disagree.

Findog
02-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Dirk is better than Gasol, Rosen is just a Mavs hater. I like his stuff when he's not writing about Dallas, though.

Darthkiller
02-13-2009, 03:20 PM
dirk on the laker, dirk would still be the first option.

mavs>spurs2
02-13-2009, 05:03 PM
when are people going to learn that writers just make these outrageous claims to make noise? it's all about publicity

iggypop123
02-13-2009, 07:48 PM
whoever said manu>sabonis is stupid. sabonis was amazing but foreign policy denied his dreams in the nba. once he came he was a shadow of himself. and even then he still was good. like jordan during his washington days. not so great but if you remember his career it was about the earlier domination

mystargtr34
02-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Dirk > Pau

Dirk > Manu + Parker

Dirk > Manu

Dirk > Parker

But you would be dumb to take Dirk over BOTH Manu and Parker.

mystargtr34
02-13-2009, 08:22 PM

You get that. There's also people here saying Parker > Kobe at one stage.

mardigan
02-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Dirk > Manu

Dirk > Parker

For sure, Dirk is an amazing talent, kind of player you might never see again. Spur homes will never admit it though with all of the pain he has inflicted through the years.
And props to all the poster in this thread spreading the word of Sabonis, that guy was freakin incredible. He, Manu, Drazen, Sarunas, Tony and Dirk are by far my favorite Euros in my lifetime.

monosylab1k
02-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Dirk > Manu

Dirk > Parker

even though I was talking shit, I don't mean to demean Manu in any way. The guy is an incredible player, and every team in the league would love to have him. But I think he's firmly established himself as a great #2, while Dirk has shown the ability to be a #1. Manu & Parker together are both great, and they both have the intelligence & selflessness to be team players with Duncan, which is why the Spurs have 3 of their 4 titles. I just think it's dumb if people would seriously take Manu over Dirk straight up.

ElNono
02-14-2009, 12:11 AM
even though I was talking shit, I don't mean to demean Manu in any way. The guy is an incredible player, and every team in the league would love to have him. But I think he's firmly established himself as a great #2, while Dirk has shown the ability to be a #1. Manu & Parker together are both great, and they both have the intelligence & selflessness to be team players with Duncan, which is why the Spurs have 3 of their 4 titles. I just think it's dumb if people would seriously take Manu over Dirk straight up.

Hmmm, Manu has demonstrated to be the #1. That's what he has done with Team Argentina for years, and before coming to the NBA in both the Euroleague and the Italian league. I would say Dirk has one of the best, if not the best jumper in the world. He's also hard to guard because of his size, he can basically shoot over most people. But as Findog said a while back, Dirk is a 1.5 guy. He doesn't really has enough to carry a team on his own all the way, but he could with the right pieces.
And Ginobili, while he has not been on that role in the NBA (not his fault he plays with Duncan), has been a 1.5 guy before while playing outside the NBA, but against NBA players.

monosylab1k
02-14-2009, 02:14 AM
Hmmm, Manu has demonstrated to be the #1. That's what he has done with Team Argentina for years, and before coming to the NBA in both the Euroleague and the Italian league. I would say Dirk has one of the best, if not the best jumper in the world. He's also hard to guard because of his size, he can basically shoot over most people. But as Findog said a while back, Dirk is a 1.5 guy. He doesn't really has enough to carry a team on his own all the way, but he could with the right pieces.
And Ginobili, while he has not been on that role in the NBA (not his fault he plays with Duncan), has been a 1.5 guy before while playing outside the NBA, but against NBA players.

Sorry, I think Manu is a terrific player, but any team who would showcase him as "The Man" for their squad won't do better than 40-45 wins. Same with Parker. They both need Duncan to be as successful as they are. Not saying they're not valuable, or All-Star level, or the absolute best wingmen imaginable for a legend like Tim Duncan, but they're simply not at the level Dirk is at. And Dirk, very very obviously, isn't at the level of Tim Duncan.

If Duncan is a 1, and Dirk is a 1.5, Manu & Tony can be no better than 2's in this league.

mavs>spurs2
02-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Dirk isn't a 1.5 I get tired of seeing that new phrase thrown around. If it wasn't for the screwjob in 2006, he would have a ring. And if all of those Mav teams from 2000-present weren't so flawed, referring to Nelson's run and gun no defense system and our lack of anything resembling post scoring, Dirk would have multiple rings.

RsxPiimp
02-14-2009, 02:38 AM
ahhh rosen.

its the same guy who said that lebron will be nothing but an average nba player.

aaahhhh rosen.

j-money24
02-14-2009, 04:06 PM

here is my top 5 centers
1. Duncan
2. Howard
3. Yao
4. Al Jefferson
5. Bynum

PF's
1. Garnett
2. Dirk
3. Pau
4. Amare
5. Bosh

SF's
1. Lebron
2. Pierce
3. Melo
4. Granger

SG's
1.Kobe
2. wade
3. Joe Johnsom
4. Manu
5. Hamilton & Ray Allen

PG's
1. Dwill
2. CP3
3. Parker/Devin Harris
4. Chauncey/Nash
5. Rose/Rondo/Westbrook

here is mine

PG
1-Dwill
2-cp3
3-parker
4-nash/harris
5-billups

SG
1-kobe
2-wade
3-johnson
4-ray allen
5-manu

SF
1-lebron
2-melo
3-granger
4-pierce
5-durant

PF
1-bosh
2-duncan
3-amare
4-dirk
5-pau

C
1-howard
2-yao
3-shaq
4-Al
5-bynum

Ghazi
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Bosh > Duncan and Amare > Dirk is just D-U-M

dirk4mvp
02-14-2009, 04:46 PM
here is mine

PG
1-Dwill
2-cp3
3-parker
4-nash/harris
5-billups

SG
1-kobe
2-wade
3-johnson
4-ray allen
5-manu

SF
1-lebron
2-melo
3-granger
4-pierce
5-durant

PF
1-bosh
2-duncan
3-amare
4-dirk
5-pau

C
1-howard
2-yao
3-shaq
4-Al
5-bynum

This is the worst list I've ever seen.

greensborohill
07-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Rosen can kiss my ass

dirk4mvp
07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Dirk > Manu

Dirk > Parker

Naw brah, I'll take Dirk over both, tbh.

LkrFan
07-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Gasol: 2
Dirk: 1

I'm just saying... :wakeup

JayTheClown
07-24-2011, 10:52 PM

Gasol as the GTG - 0
Dirk as the GTG - 1

I'm just saying:toast

Lincoln
07-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Crofl dirk sweeping dat Gasol ass

Jimmy1234
07-24-2011, 11:20 PM

As the man:

Kobe: 2

Dirk hadn`t a second all star or all nba team member on his team, so his ship counts double...

Dirk: 2

Just saying. :loser

mavsfan1000
07-24-2011, 11:23 PM
As the man:

Dirk hadn`t a second all star or all nba team member on his team, so his ship counts double...

Dirk: 2

Just saying. :loser
Who is the better player as a sidekick though? Gasol or Terry? It is obvious Kobe had more help in winning every single ring compared to what Dirk had to win his. That makes Dirk's ring special as he did it with the least help of a sidekick.

LkrFan
07-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Gasol as the GTG - 0
Dirk as the GTG - 1

I'm just saying:toast

Way to move the goal post. :downspin:

dirk4mvp
07-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Way to move the goal post. :downspin:

:lmao your argument was retarded enough as it is.

Dr House
07-25-2011, 01:44 AM
Oh a Gasol vs Dirk debate!

These are always fun. Just a few months ago, I was trashing Pau while he being a pussy on the court but now since I have the chance to put down Dirk, I'll conveniently act like I've been a Pau fan all along! This is so fun!

LkrFan
07-25-2011, 03:22 AM
:lmao your argument was retarded enough as it is.

Until Dirk equals or passes Pau in ring totals, Pau > Dirk. Rings are the reason TD > Malone, right? :downspin:

ELE bet: if Dallas repeats, I'll leave ST forever. If Dallas doesn't repeat, you GTFO. Deal? :toast

Koolaid_Man
07-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Dirk and Pau are heartless bastards....Dirk is literally Dirt under Kobe's shoes...I could outsell Dirk just by wearing a Kobe throwback.

Muser
07-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Until Dirk equals or passes Pau in ring totals, Pau > Dirk. Rings are the reason TD > Malone, right? :downspin:

ELE bet: if Dallas repeats, I'll leave ST forever. If Dallas doesn't repeat, you GTFO. Deal? :toast

So if you were starting a team you would draft Gasol over Dirk?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-25-2011, 09:29 AM

Horry > Kobe

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Oh a Gasol vs Dirk debate!

These are always fun. Just a few months ago, I was trashing Pau while he being a pussy on the court but now since I have the chance to put down Dirk, I'll conveniently act like I've been a Pau fan all along! This is so fun!
:lmao

Jodelo
07-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Gasol playoffs wins vs. Dirk: 0

Dirk playoffs wins vs. Gasol: 8

Just saying... :wakeup

DAF86
07-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Why the fuck didn't I post on this thread?

mavsfan1000
07-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Dirk with Kobe and the Lakers win their 3rd straight. Just saying. Dirk is better than Gasol. Anyone can see it.

LkrFan
07-25-2011, 08:00 PM
So if you were starting a team you would draft Gasol over Dirk?

Yep. That would mean that my team would win 2 rings in 10 years instead of 1 (and done) in 13 years.

:elephant

LkrFan
07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Gasol playoffs wins vs. Dirk: 0

Dirk playoffs wins vs. Gasol: 8

Just saying... :wakeup

Gasol in 10 years of play: 2 rings (back to back)
Dirk in 13 years of play: 1 ring

:downspin:

Lincoln
07-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Horry> tim Duncan, shaq, Malone, etc.

Monostradamus
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Gasol in 10 years of play: 2 rings (back to back)
Dirk in 13 years of play: 1 ring

:downspin:

Robert Horry > Kobe

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Horry > Kobe

Robert Horry > Kobe

mono and DoK, with the unintentional double posting goods, per usual tbh

Axe Murderer
07-25-2011, 09:12 PM
ostra and oK with the high/low post, bullyin niggas in the paint goods par per etc

Monostradamus
07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
mono and DoK, with the unintentional double posting goods, per usual tbh

genius thinking is always in sync, imho

it would help if i would read the thread first too:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-25-2011, 09:16 PM
genius thinking is always in sync, imho

In the words of Rogue, the greatest think alike, the dumbest look alike. Of course he was speaking from a racial perspective at the time.

Monostradamus
07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
circle jerk thread

lol latest post on my visitor messages

Venti Quattro
07-26-2011, 12:13 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao Pau Gasol better than Dirk Nowitzki