PDA

View Full Version : restaurant pet peeves

Blake
02-13-2009, 11:55 AM
why is it that when you order water at a restaurant, that half the time you have to ask for a straw? I don't follow the waiter's logic that if I order something that doesn't cost anything that I would rather drink out of the germ ridden side of the glass.

Bartleby
02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Do you bring your own fork and spoon?

Dex
02-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I hate when it takes a waiter/waitress a long time to bring my check.

I have a good amount of patience when I'm waiting to be sat, waiting for my order, waiting for my food...that stuff takes time. But after I've eaten, I am usually full and don't feel like sitting in a restaurant watching people eat. I'm ready to pay and go. And the only thing you're waiting for is the server to pay attention to you.

I prefer it when they leave the check when they come to check up on you, but I know that they're supposed to wait and try to peg you for desert. Still, I hate having to ask for my check, wait 5 minutes to get it, wait 5 more minutes for them to collect it, then wait another 10 to sign the ticket.

CuckingFunt
02-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Only two real pet peeves for me: having the server ask me if I want my change when I'm paying with cash, and the "accidental" boob graze.

mrsmaalox
02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I really hate when wait staff call people "you guys". Especially when it's to senior citizens.

It also pisses me off when the waiter throws me down on the table and sticks his tongue down my throat! :wtf

balli
02-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Obviously this wouldn't happen in a quality restaurant, but I was eating breakfast at a dumpy little place a couple weeks ago and when I asked the waitress for a cup of coffee, she flatly replied, "no," as if to be humorous. Bitch, don't make me beg. I'm not interested in this petty banter with your old ass, just bring me my damn coffee.

Bartleby
02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Obviously this wouldn't happen in a quality restaurant, but I was eating breakfast at a dumpy little place a couple weeks ago and when I asked the waitress for a cup of coffee, she flatly replied, "no," as if to be humorous. Bitch, don't make me beg. I'm not interested in this petty banter with your old ass, just bring me my damn coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ODhIFawfs

Blake
02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Do you bring your own fork and spoon?

no, but I have asked the waiter for plastic ware before.

balli
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
:lol Yeah, I'm might be an asshole in terms of what I expect, but I disagree with Pink; I tip well regardless of service.

The Reckoning
02-13-2009, 12:37 PM
why is it that when you order water at a restaurant, that half the time you have to ask for a straw? I don't follow the waiter's logic that if I order something that doesn't cost anything that I would rather drink out of the germ ridden side of the glass.

waiters/waitresses can no longer carry straws in their aprons. it has something to do with a health hazard, so they only give out straws when asked for.

Blake
02-13-2009, 12:38 PM
I hate when it takes a waiter/waitress a long time to bring my check.

I have a good amount of patience when I'm waiting to be sat, waiting for my order, waiting for my food...that stuff takes time. But after I've eaten, I am usually full and don't feel like sitting in a restaurant watching people eat. I'm ready to pay and go. And the only thing you're waiting for is the server to pay attention to you.

I prefer it when they leave the check when they come to check up on you, but I know that they're supposed to wait and try to peg you for desert. Still, I hate having to ask for my check, wait 5 minutes to get it, wait 5 more minutes for them to collect it, then wait another 10 to sign the ticket.

I hate that too, but I hate it worse when I pay with cash and the waiter takes forever to bring me my change....

they obviously do that in the hopes that you will lose patience and just leave so that they can keep the $19 left over after you have given two twenties on a $21 bill.

Blake
02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
waiters/waitresses can no longer carry straws in their aprons. it has something to do with a health hazard, so they only give out straws when asked for.

huh? even if they are wrapped?

Ive seen them carry straws in the aprons pretty recently.......

news to me.

Blake
02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
....and the "accidental" boob graze.

so you've had a waitress "accidentally" boob graze you? I want that.

Blake
02-13-2009, 12:44 PM
It also pisses me off when the waiter throws me down on the table and sticks his tongue down my throat! :wtf

I've had that waiter!

Only when he tried that on me, I cracked the wine bottle over his head and shoved his face into the mashed potatoes. I don't think stretch will ever try that again.

Duff McCartney
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I hate going to a restaurant and hearing people who are picky as fuck on their order. Or want their shit done an exact way. If you wanted the shit done like that...then make it at home.

CuckingFunt
02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
:lol Yeah, I'm might be an asshole in terms of what I expect, but I disagree with Pink; I tip well regardless of service.

If I want to send a message, I'll bust out the calculator and tip 15%. Down to the penny. I never go lower than that, though.

CuckingFunt
02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
so you've had a waitress "accidentally" boob graze you? I want that.

I've never had a waitress do it, but I've had MANY male servers who put the plate down and follow it with a full arm boob graze that they think I won't notice and/or mention. I have friends who have had the same thing happen.

NFO
02-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I've never had a waitress do it, but I've had MANY male servers who put the plate down and follow it with a full arm boob graze that they think I won't notice and/or mention. I have friends who have had the same thing happen.

Ah that takes me back to being a waiter.

The art of the boob graze by the waiter is a skillful art that if done correctly goes unnoticed, and sometimes leads toa phone number, but if done incorrectly can lead to a lower tip and disgruntled customers.

:lol

BruceBowenFan
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
i remember being in a restaurant about two months ago and i could hear this lady placing her order and she asked "How big is your small" for a burger,i mean c'mon is it a damn small.

CuckingFunt
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM

The art of the boob graze by the waiter is a skillful art that if done correctly goes unnoticed, and sometimes leads toa phone number, but if done incorrectly can lead to a lower tip and disgruntled customers.

It never goes unnoticed. Ever. Sometimes people just don't feel like making a fuss about it in the middle of a restaurant, though.

Blake
02-13-2009, 01:04 PM

I believe it. I used to have a couple friends work as waiters who told me they used to do that kind of stuff.

One of them got a phone number left on the check one time after doing that.

Blake
02-13-2009, 01:05 PM

holy sh1t!

I posted before I even read this....

there you go......confirmation that it works. :lol

Blake
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
It never goes unnoticed. Ever. Sometimes people just don't feel like making a fuss about it in the middle of a restaurant, though.

and if a fuss is made, all the waiter has to do is say "I am so sorry ma'am, that was an accident. Please forgive me." What can the chick say after that?

and hell, even if you get fired from your gig at Chili's, big deal......you just move down the street to Applebees.

TwAnKiEs
02-13-2009, 01:58 PM
I hate it when the waiter bring the food and puts one of the hot plates in reaching distance of my daughters... :bang

:makemyday

Blake
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
i hate it when the waiter bring the food and puts one of the hot plates in reaching distance of my daughters... :bang

+100

SpursStalker
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
My biggest pet peeve about a restaurant is ...

The waiter or waitress constantly coming to the table asking if everything is alright.

Just happened today when PandaSpur and I went to lunch at the Little Red Barn.

Blake
02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
My biggest pet peeve about a restaurant is ...

The waiter or waitress constantly coming to the table asking if everything is alright.

Just happened today when PandaSpur and I went to lunch at the Little Red Barn.

I hate that too.......or when you get iced tea, you have already put the approporiate amount of sweetner and they fill it up when your glass is still only half full.....which means you have to try to guess how much sweetner to get it back to where it was

which barn? the one on NNew Braunfels or off I-37 south of downtown?

SpursStalker
02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I hate that too.......or when you get iced tea, you have already put the approporiate amount of sweetner and they fill it up when your glass is still only half full.....which means you have to try to guess how much sweetner to get it back to where it was

which barn? the one on NNew Braunfels or off I-37 south of downtown?

LMAO

That happened too but as we were getting ready to leave. She didnt even remember giving us the bill, said, "I'll be right back with your check" We got up and left.

Rigsby and Hackberry

JudynTX
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for lunch. :D

Blake
02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Rigsby and Hackberry

yeah, I forgot the streets off the highway, but that's the better barn.

(although lately, I haven't really liked it much....I think it's overpriced for what you get....)

Drachen
02-13-2009, 02:30 PM
As an ex waiter, I can tell you that my greatest restaurant pet peeve was the customers.

SpursStalker
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for lunch. :D

More than welcome chica ...

:D

yeah, I forgot the streets off the highway, but that's the better barn.

(although lately, I haven't really liked it much....I think it's overpriced for what you get....)

I agree, we were gonna go to Patties which is further down Hackberry but couldn't find a parking place.

SpursStalker
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
As an ex waiter, I can tell you that my greatest restaurant pet peeve was the customers.

Perhaps that's why you're an EX waiter?

Strike
02-13-2009, 02:46 PM
why is it that when you order water at a restaurant, that half the time you have to ask for a straw?

I always ask not to have a straw. I don't use a straw unless it's a milkshake.

I also get annoyed by the "server" who constantly checks up on me. I don't mind the occasional "everything good?" as they're passing by. But if I need something, I'll flag down whoever is in my line of sight. As long as my grub is done right, the place is clean, and the wait staff is polite and treats me like a paying customer, I'll tip pretty well. Usually around 30%.

I've been known to praise a great waiter/waitress to their manager if I feel they deserve it. I've also been known to walk out without leaving a tip if the service blows butt.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
what I call DWS which stands for Disappearing Waiter Syndrome. You know, when they literally disappear from the restaurant for 10-15 minutes, just when you wanted your iced tea refilled or your check brought. You can't even play the "I'm staring at you and you know it but you're keeping your eyes away from me" game, because they are not even in the room.

Where do they go? Are they taking an extended smoke break plus cell/text catchup? Taking a giant dump and reading the whole newspaper? I want to know. Well, maybe not.

florige
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I believe it. I used to have a couple friends work as waiters who told me they used to do that kind of stuff.

One of them got a phone number left on the check one time after doing that.

GTFO! Really?

Blake
02-13-2009, 03:18 PM
I always ask not to have a straw. I don't use a straw unless it's a milkshake.

I'm a germophobe and the sight of lipstick on the glass really sucks.

Blake
02-13-2009, 03:19 PM
GTFO! Really?

well, my friend could have written that number down himself......but NFO verified it in his post........

deadratsam
02-13-2009, 04:24 PM
i remember being in a restaurant about two months ago and i could hear this lady placing her order and she asked "How big is your small" for a burger,i mean c'mon is it a damn small.

Well in certain restaurants normal is 1/2 lb and small is 1/3lb (still decent sized for a small appetite) and other restaurants that don't really specialize in burgers usually have much smaller burgers as their small.

I hate it when the waiter bring the food and puts one of the hot plates in reaching distance of my daughters... :bang

Shouldn't your daughters learn the "hot is bad and it hurts me" rule?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM

You must not have children. Kids can pull a hot plate on themselves in what seems to be a millisecond if it's placed too close. There are better ways to learn that "hot is bad".

deadratsam
02-13-2009, 06:00 PM
You must not have children. Kids can pull a hot plate on themselves in what seems to be a millisecond if it's placed too close. There are better ways to learn that "hot is bad".

Yeah I don't have kids and that's a good thing.

I was never stupid enough to bring a hot plate of food down on my face so I assume a kid would just touch it and not use it as leverage to stand up.

The Reckoning
02-13-2009, 06:09 PM
my pet peeve is when customers decide to order something else and try to place their orders with another server.

my other peeve is when customers decide to have their food to go the moment the server brings everything out, so the server has to take the food to the back and stuff it all in to go boxes. of course, though the server has brought their silverware and drinks, taken their order, waited and brought the food out with all of the sides, the customer(s) don't feel the need to tip because its to go.

Creepn
02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
When I go to Olive Garden I want my bread to keep coming. I really cant continue to eat without those breadsticks and will literally stop eating until I got a fresh batch. So I freakin hate it when the waiter/ess doesnt come by often enough for the refill.

Same thing goes with the drinks. I don't want to see the bottom of my cup until I'm leaving. I give big tips to those who does this.

florige
02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
I hate waiting when I go to resturants for seats. Thats why I normally eat at the bar. It's not big deal here now since they have banned smoking indoors. Other than that I normally have no gripes.

ManuTP9
02-14-2009, 01:39 AM
When I go to Olive Garden I want my bread to keep coming. I really cant continue to eat without those breadsticks and will literally stop eating until I got a fresh batch. So I freakin hate it when the waiter/ess doesnt come by often enough for the refill.

Same thing goes with the drinks. I don't want to see the bottom of my cup until I'm leaving. I give big tips to those who does this.

the drinking part is so true to me :lol

David Bowie
02-14-2009, 02:35 AM
I don't like it when the food is brought out and it's lukeworm. I once ordered food at my favorite THai place and it wasn't hot at all. I asked the waiter to warm it up for me. He's a sweet guy ( I go to that place at all) but speaks no English. 5 minutes later, he brought my plate back ,and the food was even colder :)

Chief
02-14-2009, 02:44 AM
I don't understand the asking for the straw thing

It's pretty likely that if the side or rim of the glass is dirty it's a pretty sure shot that the inside is dirty as well and the water is mixed in with the germs.

I hate when waiters after taking forever to bring the check, then stand like right there and stare at ya waiting for ya to pay. I like to take my time on purpose since they took forever as well.

DPG21920
02-14-2009, 02:54 AM
:td, whining ass thread.

TwAnKiEs
02-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Well in certain restaurants normal is 1/2 lb and small is 1/3lb (still decent sized for a small appetite) and other restaurants that don't really specialize in burgers usually have much smaller burgers as their small.

EDIT ** yeah they can reach for things pretty fast. :lol

Waiter that keeps it away from them = big tip from me :toast

lurker23
02-14-2009, 01:37 PM

That's pretty much the same thing for me when I'm drinking Diet Coke at a restaurant. I realize I drink way too much of it and usually too fast, but a good waiter or waitress will notice little customer quirks like that and adjust. The easiest way to get a great tip from me is to keep me constantly supplied with Diet Coke. The easiest way to get a bad tip is to leave me waiting for 10-15 minutes, unable to continue my meal because I have nothing to wash it down with.

balli
02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Bars/bartenders/waitresses that try to or do over-charge your credit card because they think your drunk ass won't notice.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-14-2009, 02:51 PM
i hate when i order water and they bring it with a lemon. i just ordered water

i hate that for every side order you order they bring you another plate to crowd the already crowded small table that already has a massive salt/pepper/napkin/special of the month station that takes up half the table.

i hate the massive salt/pepper/napkin/special of the month station that takes up half the table

i hate it when the waiter/waitress looks like a cow looking at a new fence when you ask to split the tab. YOUR TIP WILL BE AFFECTED BY YOUR FACE!!!

......and lastly, but most importantly I absolutely hate it when you're about to take a bite of your food you have some jackass in the room blow his nose like there's no tomorrow. i really don't like hearing snot traveling at 40mph while i'm enjoying my meal as i'm putting it in my mouth.

Bartleby
02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Where do they go? Are they taking an extended smoke break plus cell/text catchup? Taking a giant dump and reading the whole newspaper? I want to know. Well, maybe not.

:smokin

Strike
02-14-2009, 03:50 PM
......and lastly, but most importantly I absolutely hate it when you're about to take a bite of your food you have some jackass in the room blow his nose like there's no tomorrow. i really don't like hearing snot traveling at 40mph while i'm enjoying my meal as i'm putting it in my mouth.

:lmao