PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, All-Star Duncan really does have a lighter side

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/allstar2009/02/13/duncan_feature.allstar09.20090213/index.html

By Art Garcia, NBA.com
Posted Feb 13 2009 9:49AM

PHOENIX -- The timeout rant was vintage Gregg Popovich. The Spurs weren't doing something right, actually a lot wrong, and Coach Pop was letting them have it in the huddle.

"I was quite angry and animated," Popovich said. " 'Who are you guys? You guys have a coach? You guys go to practice? I don't recognize any of you guys.' In the middle of my harangue, he sticks out his hand and goes, 'I'm Tim Duncan.'

"He wanted me to meet him."

The ice wasn't just broken. Duncan smashed it with four syllables, turning the huddle into a high-school classroom. Unlike most teachers interrupted by the class clown, Popovich couldn't help but laugh. There would be no detention.

"It's that sort of sarcastic humor that is really endearing to all of his teammates," said Popovich, the only NBA coach Duncan has ever had.

The lighter side of Duncan is rarely seen and is appreciated even less. The boring label, as applied to Duncan and the entire Spurs franchise, is a cop-out in a world screaming for TMZ headlines. Most don't spend the time getting to know the Spurs and, frankly, the Spurs like it that way.

Popovich knows Duncan better than anyone. And he breaks into a smile when discussing the wit of his 11-time All-Star. If only others knew.

"I wish everyone could know what his humor is like," Popovich says.

Don't expect it to happen. Duncan has managed to keep his private side private out of design and circumstance. Though he's the biggest name in the Spurs locker room, a pair of international stars steal enough of the spotlight from No. 21.

Frenchman Tony Parker is half of a Hollywood "it" couple. Manu Ginobili is an Olympic hero in Argentina and an iconic rock star in mostly Hispanic San Antonio. Both have also earned their share of NBA accolades. Their combined celebrity help shield Duncan's introverted public persona, which is carefully protected by the Spurs' front office.

Whereas A-Rod can't hide from the cameras and notepads, Duncan slips in and out with ease and little interruption. The jokester lives within his carefully constructed cocoon.

"He doesn't [joke] with people he doesn't know," Ginobili said. "It's the same in the locker room. He's a great guy and he's open and he talks. He's not as shy and non-communicative as people think. What he shows is not what he really is. When he's in confidence, he's a different guy."

Spurs teammate Matt Bonner explained Duncan's gift for the cheap laugh as "observational humor. If something is funny, he'll notice it and bring it to your attention." One of Duncan's favorite targets is Bonner's ride, a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix.

"I'm more of a smartass than anything," Duncan freely admits. "It comes naturally that way. It is a long season. Forty or 50 games into the season, it seems to get real long. Being serious every day makes the season even longer.

"We know when to be serious. We know when to joke around. You've got to keep it light so people will like being here."

Duncan and the Spurs find a balance. Their meticulous approach and attention to every detail, forged through the years under Popovich, is sewn into the fabric of the franchise. It doesn't happen by accident.

The Spurs work. Duncan's past offseason was as serious as a tire off an 18-wheeler. Spurs strength coach Mike Brungardt introduced the massive rubber objects in an exercise routine straight out of "Rocky."

"Every year Brungy brings out something new for us," Duncan said. "This year it was flipping 300-pound tires up and down the parking lot. It was a great full-body exercise. The first two, three times you do it, you're absolutely zapped. Your forearms are killing you. You can't do another thing for the rest of the day."

Duncan, 32, changed his eating habits over the summer. And he arrived at the Spurs complex in August, two months before the start of training camp, to begin working out in the oppressive Texas heat. He ran the team's 25-foot, 45-degree outdoor incline, dubbed John Lucas Hill, and sprinted in sand.

With four championships, three Finals MVPs, two MVPs and a certain place in the Hall of Fame, why go so hard? Surely Duncan would remain among the best in the league, if not the best power forward, even if he scaled his workouts back some. But he won't.

"Because he really loves to win and he realizes the responsibility he bears," Popovich said, "and he knows he's got to keep his body at a certain level all the time. That's what it's all about for him. That's why he's in the shape that he's in. He knows as he gets older he has to squeeze everything out of his body, like squeezing blood out of a rock."

Duncan's pragmatic side shows through.

"Getting older," the perennial All-Star starter said simply. "I'm just trying to drop some weight and some body fat. I wanted to get ready for a marathon season. I'm not as young as I used to be and I know my body is going to break down a little bit more than it did in the past."

His game, based on angles and intelligence, not overwhelming athleticism, has aged well. The 1998 No. 1 overall pick is one of three players averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds this season, and ranks third in the league in double-doubles.

"He's as reliable as always," Ginobili said. "People are so used to seeing him that it doesn't surprise anybody. He's just being Tim Duncan. He's as big a part of this team as he's ever been."

As others tend to slow going into the All-Star break, Duncan appears re-energized.

"Not right now, not in the middle of the season," he chuckled. "I've played better and played more consistently, and if that's because of what I've done over the summer, more power to it."

Popovich trusts Duncan to coach himself. That practice spills over to Parker, Ginobili and several of the other vets, as well. In another game earlier this season, a frustrated Popovich turned the team over to the team. The Spurs coaching staff just stopped coaching.

The Spurs still won.

"Every once in a while it's a good thing to let the guys figure it out," Popovich said. "They've been playing this game a long time, and having them have that sort of ownership and partnership in what's going on I think makes them want to be here and work even harder."

At the root of that partnership is the relationship between Duncan and Popovich, one that can't be defined by the narrow titles of Player and Coach. There just isn't enough room there. After more than 11 seasons, the four championships and a lifetime of basketball memories, Duncan and Popovich understand each other like few in the profession ever do.

Duncan has earned the right to needle Popovich. And the street runs the other way.

"It's what makes our relationship go," Popovich said. "We really have a lot of fun doing that with each other because it's a long season. Without the humor, it's a real drag. I think you have to have humor on a team. You have to have people to break things up so it's not push, push, push all the time."

Pop and Timmy, as they say in South Texas, are truly sympatico. So in the middle of a game when the Spurs are "getting torched on defense," Duncan can reach across the huddle and the player-coach divide with a half-mocking introduction.

"He's a good enough coach that you can do that in the midst of things," Duncan said. "You can do that in the midst of practice and he knows that I'm still going to play hard. It's not going to change anything.

"To be able to accept it and react to it in a situation like that is a credit to him and all the guys here."

It starts with a laugh.

byrdman31
02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
great read, thanks.

:rollinat bonners car, how much did we just sign him for ?

duncan228
02-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for posting. :)

One of the pics from the article.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/lead154.jpg

stxspurs
02-13-2009, 12:55 PM
good article

duncan228
02-13-2009, 12:57 PM
The sidebar:

MODEL OF CONSISTENCY

The Spurs' Tim Duncan is widely regarded as one of the NBA's all-time reliable players. Here's a look a some notes and stats on the dependability of Duncan, as well as some of his big games from this season:

• ROCK-SOLID SPURS: Since Duncan was drafted by the Spurs in 1997, the team is 650-270 and sports a .707 winning percentage. That is not only the best winning percentage in the NBA, but in all of pro sports. In that span, the Spurs have four championships, six division titles and had the league's best record three times.

• ONE POPULAR GUY: Duncan is an 11-time All-Star and was selected by the fans as a starter in 10 out of his 11 All-Star Game appearances. In fact, Duncan has been named an All-Star starter 10 seasons running, which trails only the Lakers' Kobe Bryant among active players with the longest consecutive All-Star game selections.

• VIDEO: Duncan scored a season-high 32 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in the Spurs'double-overtime win over the Mavs on Dec. 9. Click Here (http://www.nba.com/video/games/mavericks/2008/12/09/nba_sas_dal_0020800309_recap.nba/index.html)

• VIDEO: In the Spurs' thrilling Jan. 14 win over the Lakers, Duncan flirts with a triple-double, recording 20 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists. Click Here (http://www.nba.com/video/games/spurs/2009/01/14/nba_lal_sas_0020800574_recap.nba/index.html)

MarHill
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
good article

+1

:toast

m33p0
02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
"I was quite angry and animated," Popovich said. " 'Who are you guys? You guys have a coach? You guys go to practice? I don't recognize any of you guys.' In the middle of my harangue, he sticks out his hand and goes, 'I'm Tim Duncan.'

"He wanted me to meet him."
one of the best moments this season despite losing tony in that game. it told us what we needed to know... they weren't worried.

duncan228
02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
We've gotten to see more of Duncan's lighter side since he became a father. It's fun to see him wave and make faces at his kids from the bench. He seems looser than he was in the earlier years. It's like the quotes that Harvey got the other night in New Jersey, Duncan appreciates where he is, the long road to get there, and he can just enjoy playing.

And, he does have a great sense of humor.

Spurs Brazil
02-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Great article

TD is the best

hater
02-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Matt Bonner's sweet ride:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/2004-2007_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.jpg/250px-2004-2007_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.jpg

as Bonner says "them rims is 10s, they're sick!"

MarHill
02-13-2009, 01:33 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/2004-2007_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.jpg/250px-2004-2007_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.jpg

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

EricB
02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Another reason to like Bonner.

He makes 3.5 mill a year but is still the same guy as he was busting his butt at Florida.

I think the dicitionary has run out of adjectives on Tim Duncan.

KaiRMD1
02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
It's funny that nobody knows his lighter side. I remember prior to I think game 4 or 5 against the Mavs in 2003, Tim and Malik Rose(I think or someone else) were horsing around in the tunnel before entering the arena. Malik kept slapping Timmy in the back of the head and then Timmy warned Malik but as he was doing that, he smacked Malik right back and they just kept trying to hit each other for the whole time while they were waiting to come out. One of the few times I was laughing at Tim.

csr3159
02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Most of people do not see this side of Tim.

MoSpur
02-13-2009, 02:04 PM
You can tell Tim loves to joke around. He is very sarcastic and so is Pop. I think that's another reason why they get along so well.

BlackBellamy
02-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Tim Duncan has a darker side as well...

SAN ANTONIO -- Star Spurs center Tim Duncan has issued a public apology for his "unacceptable, inexcusable behavior" last Saturday night following a preseason loss to the Orlando Magic, saying that frustration and disappointment with his low-scoring, six-rebound performance caused "ten years' worth of unexpressed emotions to burst out of me like ... like something I don't even know what."

No criminal charges, police reports, or even complaints have been filed against Duncan, who was last seen leaving the Alamodome after giving what reporters are terming "mildly animated" answers to their post-game questions at a "slightly elevated" volume.

"I simply lost control during my post-game comments, and I did not give the press the full half-hour they are entitled to," said Duncan, who is on record as calling the Spurs' play during the game "bad," "real bad," "awful," and "very, very bad indeed" several times over the course of the 28 minutes he spent with reporters. "Anyone who knows me knows I never use language like that. I can only ask the city of San Antonio to forgive me for my outburst and give me a second chance."

"I was angry," Duncan added. "I even felt mad. I never want to go through that again."

Duncan claims that, after speaking to reporters, he was filled with a level of emotion that caused his memory to become unclear. However, Duncan is fairly certain that he turned away from reporters after insufficiently thanking them for the interview, walked to the parking lot with unusual briskness, and climbed into his car in a blatantly agitated fashion.

Witnesses' accounts bear out Duncan's version of events, with several onlookers saying Duncan "slammed" the door of his 1992 Buick LeSabre closed before driving off. Spurs guard Tony Parker, whose car was near Duncan's, denied rumors that Duncan was muttering grumpily to himself, but said Duncan did exhale audibly twice while getting his car keys out.

"Looking back on it, I think he was sighing in a frustrated or even exasperated manner," Parker said. "I thought about saying something, but I didn't know what. I'd never seen him like that. Frankly, I was a little scared."

"I should not have driven in that condition," said Duncan, who has implored the children of San Antonio not to emulate his actions or regard them as "cool." "I know better than to operate a motor vehicle while upset or in a highly emotional state of mind, but I did it anyway. I only wish I had exercised the self-restraint to let it go at that."

Traffic cameras tracked Duncan traveling from the Alamodome at up to seven miles per hour over the speed limit, twice driving through yellow lights, to a convenience store near his home, where the store's security cameras show him purchasing highly caffeinated beverages and several unhealthy snacks. A clerk at the store says Duncan consumed three of the soft drinks in his car while listening to barely audible music on his car's radio before driving off several minutes later.

Duncan's mid-'90s four-door sedan was found in the parking lot of his nondescript apartment building Sunday morning, having impacted a tree at what insurance company investigators say was an "extremely low" rate of speed, inflicting almost $140 worth of damage to the car during what they say seems to be an abortive attempt to park while slightly jittery from an excess of mild sugar stimulants.

"I do not wish to discuss that at this time," Duncan said. "I'm just glad no one was hurt while I was experimenting with Coke, or Pepsi, or root beer, or whatever it was. I just remember going into my apartment, turning on the television, unblocking Showtime, and calling up a few girls from church to say 'hello' and 'how are you doing.' Frankly I'm mortified, and in light of my actions, I wouldn't blame them for being cross with me in return. I was brought up to respect women, not to place telephone calls to them at what might possibly be well past their bedtimes."

Duncan recalls nothing else until 9:30 the next morning, when he woke up two hours late, unshaven, and dressed in unusually brightly colored clothing. Duncan immediately contacted the police, and was relieved to find he had in fact broken no laws.

Duncan has assigned himself 120 hours of community service working in hospitals, neighborhood improvement projects, and on highway-beautification crews for his "reckless endangerment" of the people of San Antonio.

"I promise you," the dry-eyed Duncan said in an unusually well-modulated voice, "you will never see anything like that from me again."

Golden Oldie fellas, I know. Actually, that's a good nickname for the Spurs the, "Golden Oldies".

EricB
02-13-2009, 05:47 PM
That story sounds more made for David Robinson not Tim Duncan.

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I think people who pay attention to Duncan and the Spurs have known Timmy's wit and his relationship with his teammates and Pop for a long time. But I think it's good to make it more widely known. It's a good piece.

I'd agree with duncan228's comment about Timmy's fatherhood having softened him a bit. I was at a game this season and you could see Timmy's frustration with the officiating (my guess) during the first half. But as he walked to the tunnel, his wife and kids were there; Tim stopped and became daddy for a few minutes, holding his son and talking with his daughter before retreating to the locker room. It was like that moment melted away the frustrations of the game. It was great to see.

BlackBellamy
02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
That story sounds more made for David Robinson not Tim Duncan.
Eh, take it up with The Onion. I for one love that they caricature his stoicism.

BlackSwordsMan
02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I hope rasheed likes tim duncan's jokes

duncan228
02-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Eh, take it up with The Onion. I for one love that they caricature his stoicism.

The Onion has done some great stuff on Duncan. Lots of links here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104681

Dex
02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Awesome. I drive the same car as Bonner, only three years older.

I'ma feel lika supastah in my sweet ride.

porscha
02-13-2009, 06:52 PM
great read, thanks.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Duncan has always came off to me as a real dude..he's never seemed "boring" to me..he's always seemed like a cool guy, good sense of humor, doesn't buy into the media's trends and "ideal" looks..

that's the part I like most about him off the court..even ignoring the criminal side of everything when it comes to the media "superstars" of the NBA, they all just come off as fake..Kobe's probably the fakest dude you'll ever see..those Kobe and Lebron videos at halftime of the Cavs-Lakers game were just awkward..they were just trying to out-fake each other..bad jokes, corny lines..

Dwight Howard seems like a good guy, but he's corny as hell..

Duncan is just a real dude..he's one of the people..he doesn't try to put on a fake act to please fans and the media, he's just himself..he doesn't take himself too seriously, no ego..

RyanLeaf
02-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Duncan has always came off to me as a real dude..he's never seemed "boring" to me..he's always seemed like a cool guy, good sense of humor, doesn't buy into the media's trends and "ideal" looks..

that's the part I like most about him off the court..even ignoring the criminal side of everything when it comes to the media "superstars" of the NBA, they all just come off as fake..Kobe's probably the fakest dude you'll ever see..those Kobe and Lebron videos at halftime of the Cavs-Lakers game were just awkward..they were just trying to out-fake each other..bad jokes, corny lines..

Dwight Howard seems like a good guy, but he's corny as hell..

Duncan is just a real dude..he's one of the people..he doesn't try to put on a fake act to please fans and the media, he's just himself..he doesn't take himself too seriously, no ego..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkigFiE-758