PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Drive

orhe
03-06-2005, 05:33 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_2597563

Playing with drive

By Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune

On an NBA team that reflects the calm, confident, business-like demeanor of superstar Tim Duncan, San Antonio's Manu Ginobili is a paradox.
Like Duncan, he is one of the game's best players.
Unlike Duncan, he plays with an uninhibited flare and easy-to-see emotion.
With Duncan, he has made the Spurs into the league's best team.
"I love his game," said Phoenix All-Star Steve Nash. "He's an exciting player, and he's a winner. His goal is winning all the time. I love watching him play."
Said the Lakers' Kobe Bryant: "My favorite player to watch is probably Manu, just because he's so herky-jerky."
Matt Harpring agrees.
"He plays with a lot of energy," the Jazz forward said. "He's erratic, but that's good for their team. He brings an X-factor to the game, and for them, that's great. The Spurs - the way they play - they need a guy who might make a dumb play here but will make a great play there."
Miami's Dwyane Wade says Ginobili is unpredictable. "I don't know if he knows what he's going to do."
"My style is my style," Ginobili once said.
A former second-round draft choice, Ginobili became known throughout the NBA last season, when he averaged 12.8 points for the 57-win Spurs.
Ginobili became a household name in the basketball world last summer, when he led Argentina to the gold medal in the Olympics.
"I liked watching him in the Olympics," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. "He took the team on his back and said, 'Let's go win.' There aren't a lot of players like that."
Argentina had never won a medal in men's basketball. Its best previous finish was fourth in 1952 - 25 years before Ginobili was born in Bahi'a Blanca, a coastal city located about 400 miles south of Buenos Aires.
But Argentina's fortunes changed in Athens.
Ginobili scored 29 points in a 89-81 win over the heavily-favored United States in the semifinals. One night later in the gold medal game, he had 16 points and six assists during an 84-69 over Italy.
Suddenly, Ginobili was the best player on the world's best team, which had just won on the world's biggest stage.
"The most special thing you can do is win for your country," he said.
Argentina's win over the U.S. keyed its run to the gold medal.
"We fought as hard as we could," Allen Iverson said. "We couldn't get it done, for whatever reason. They were a better team than us."
After the Olympic triumph, Ginobili returned to San Antonio as a free agent. Several teams talked to him, most notably the Denver Nuggets. But he eventually signed a new six-year, $52 million contract with the Spurs - quite a raise from his original two-year, $2.9 million deal with San Antonio.
"I always said I was comfortable where I was," Ginobili said. "I love the Spurs. I love the town. I love the fans. I love everything about it."
With Ginobili on board, the Spurs have emerged as the NBA's top team. Heading into today's game against the Jazz, the find themselves on a 65-win pace.
Ginobili averages 16.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.9 assists as part of San Antonio's hard-to-stop threesome that also includes Duncan and Tony Parker. Duncan and Ginobili represented the Spurs in last month's All-Star Game.
"I'm so proud, I can't believe it," Ginobili told the assembled media in Denver. "I'm trying to make it sink in. But it's really hard, especially with my background. Where I come from, [just] playing in the NBA is huge for me. So being chosen as one of the top 24 players in the league . . . is enormous."
Despite excelling in Europe before being drafted by the Spurs, Ginobili never expected such a rapid rise to NBA stardom.
"If you would have asked me about making the All-Star team three years ago, I would have said it was impossible - seriously impossible," he said.
Not now.
In Argentina, Ginobili has become a hero and role model. His countrymen, he said, are "very happy" over his success.
"They saw me playing when I was 17 [or] 18, taking my first steps in professional basketball," Ginobili said. "So it's a big step. It's a big step for our country - for basketball in our country."
Asked about Ginobili's popularity, Duncan laughed.
"He's a huge star in San Antonio, he's a huge star where ever he goes," Duncan said. "He's a rock star. He's grown his hair out and everything. He's got the whole thing going for him."

Manu20
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
"He's a huge star in San Antonio, he's a huge star where ever he goes," Duncan said. "He's a rock star. He's grown his hair out and everything. He's got the whole thing going for him."

:lol :fro Great Article

Rummpd
03-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Manu and Parkers = Rock Stars and Tabloid

Duncan = Cool Hand Luke

Pop = CIA

Who says the Spurs are not interesting?

boutons
03-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Manu's (thinning but longish) hair even got mention. Tim must give him hell about it. :)

exstatic
03-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Someone at the AS weekend cracked on him for having a mullet. :lmao

stéphane
03-06-2005, 06:57 PM
TD's sense of hummour is just :rollin

ALVAREZ6
03-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Nice article