PDA

View Full Version : MYSA: Rasheed to Spurs? Don't hold your breath

spursparker9
02-14-2009, 12:34 AM
By Jeff McDonald

Courtside

There seems to be a substantial amount of wind being blown these days, in cyberspace and on radio airwaves, about a possible Spurs trade for Rasheed Wallace.

The rumor probably had its genesis with this ESPN.com column, in which Marc Stein reports "rumbles" that Wallace would have interest in joining the Spurs at some time.

OK, well, that's fine and good. The part people seem to be missing in the Wallace-induced fervor is the next paragraph Stein writes, the one that begins "Don't see a real trade possibility here." That's the money paragraph. Because there isn't a real trade possibility here.

Wallace makes nearly $14 million, and Detroit GM Joe Dumars appears intent on accepting only expiring contracts in any deal for any player. Dumars also reportedly hasn't given up hope in joining the Amare Stoudemire sweepstakes, of which Wallace would be a required part. Put together, these factors would make it very, very difficult for the Spurs to do the math neccesary to nab Wallace.

The Spurs have only two players with expiring contracts -- Jacque Vaughn ($1.2 million) and Ime Udoka ($1.08 million). That's a long, long way off from the $14 million they'd need to clear from their payroll to make a deal for Wallace legal. As far as hurdles go, it's the Great Wall of China.

We're not saying it's impossible. Just highly improbable.

With a dearth of expiring contracts -- the golden chips in these salary-dump deals -- the Spurs are likely facing a quiet trading season. It is well-known that they would like to add another big man, but it also well-known they probably don't have the pieces to land anyone of consequence.

A sign-and-trade with Robert Horry could open more doors, but as of last night, Horry hadn't heard word one from the Spurs.

So if, you're holding your breath waiting for Wallace to don silver and black, you're likely to be blue until July at the earliest. Wallace will be a free agent then, and if he were willing to work for substantially less than $14 million, the Spurs would surely listen.

m33p0
02-14-2009, 12:40 AM
So if, you're holding your breath waiting for Wallace to don silver and black, you're likely to be blue until July at the earliest.
Green and juicy and smelling of death.

duncan228
02-14-2009, 12:43 AM
There's some conversation on this in the monster thread. (It's post #618).

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116798&page=24

Bender
02-14-2009, 12:43 AM
There seems to be a substantial amount of wind being blown these days, in cyberspace...
ST lurker

Spork KIller
02-14-2009, 04:49 AM
I hope that you mother fuckers finally came down to earth and stop smoking crack about Rasheed Wallace...

You fucks are cheap ....

No Trades for you bitches!

Just die already!

honestfool84
02-14-2009, 04:55 AM
I hope that you mother fuckers finally came down to earth and stop smoking cracck about a CHAMPIONSHIP. :lobt2:

You fucks are cheap ....

Just die already!

that's what the spurs tell the suns every year..

02-14-2009, 05:08 AM
mcdonald lurks on spurstalk. what he's saying is just common sense. wallace's contract is too big and the spurs' assets are low (in terms of tradeable young talent and picks) for anything to happen this year. i am very optimistic, however, that sheed will come to the spurs in the offseason.

Spork KIller
02-14-2009, 05:10 AM

Weak ass comeback

Spork KIller
02-14-2009, 05:10 AM
mcdonald lurks on spurstalk. what he's saying is just common sense. wallace's contract is too big and the spurs' assets are low (in terms of tradeable young talent and picks) for anything to happen this year. i am very optimistic, however, that sheed will come to the spurs in the offseason.

:nope

WalterBenitez
02-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Anyhow I'd like to see Rasheed in Spurs' uniform

stéphane
02-14-2009, 07:42 AM
There seems to be a substantial amount of wind being blown these days, in cyberspace and on radio airwaves, about a possible Spurs trade for Rasheed Wallace.

Jeff's reading ST obviously. :lol

SequSpur
02-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Why is it funny that others read ST? I know for a fact that others read it, including the Spurs staff and PLAYERS.

It's the number 1 site on all search engines for spurs talk/forum/etc.

Don't get the funniness....

Bartleby
02-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I think it's funny when reporters seem to be getting their information from their audience, rather than the other way around.

stéphane
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM

He'd better work on his articles and writing style than lurking on ST to get infos.

Ghost Writer
02-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I am desperate for an impact player, but Rasheed Wallace does not seem like a good fit on this team at all. He is too tempermental and I don't like how he jacks up 3s outside of the flow of the offense.

I could see him being miserable in San Antonio.

The knee tendinitus is a concern, but he could just be bagging it in DET.

completely deck
02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Jeff, that didn't warrant an article. Just make an account here and post it here instead. :toast

lurker23
02-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Jeff, that didn't warrant an article. Just make an account here and post it here instead. :toast

How do you know he hasn't already? :downspin::lol

PM5K
02-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Umm, the Spurs absolutely have the assets/talent to pull off the trade, I just don't think they are willing to part with the players that might be necessary to pull this trade off.

Teams would be lining up if Hill and Mason were on the table, and we certainly have some expiring contracts, but hopefully they aren't....

BlackSwordsMan
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Cia jeff mcdonald

buttsR4rebounding
02-14-2009, 12:56 PM
I hope that you mother fuckers finally came down to earth and stop smoking crack about Rasheed Wallace...

You fucks are cheap ....

No Trades for you bitches!

Just die already!

As opposed to the free spending Suns that traded away 2 first round picks so that Seatle would take Thomas' salary off their books, who make a habit of selling 1st round picks for cash, who are trading away their all star forward for financial considerations.

I might add that I don't think that we will make a trade, but at least we will make the playoffs...:toast

phxspurfan
02-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Why is it funny that others read ST? I know for a fact that others read it, including the Spurs staff and PLAYERS.

It's the number 1 site on all search engines for spurs talk/forum/etc.

I wonder if Manu saw that part about me wanting to trade him for Tayshaun Prince...

Sorry, Manu!

tmtcsc
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM

:rollin:lobt2:

Too funny. That was excellent. They say all that and "have a nice vacation" too.

Galileo
02-14-2009, 03:40 PM
It's nice to know that Jeff McDonald reads spurstalk. He's a good reporter for doing so.