PDA

View Full Version : Manu, the Statistical Freak - part of a M. Lewis article

biba
02-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Moneyball Comes to the NBA, Literally

TrueHoop, Henry Abbott, ESPN February 14, 2009 10:58 AM

The cover of this weekend's New York Times Sunday Magazine is a Michael Lewis article called Money (Basket) Ball and it's all about the Houston Rockets, Daryl Morey, Shane Battier, and new kinds of statistics [...]

[...] People often say that Kobe Bryant has no weaknesses to his game, but that's not really true. Before the game, Battier was given his special package of information. "He's the only player we give it to," Morey says. "We can give him this fire hose of data and let him sift. Most players are like golfers. You don't want them swinging while they're thinking." The data essentially broke down the floor into many discrete zones and calculated the odds of Bryant making shots from different places on the court, under different degrees of defensive pressure, in different relationships to other players - how well he scored off screens, off pick-and-rolls, off catch-and-shoots and so on. Battier learns a lot from studying the data on the superstars he is usually assigned to guard.

For instance, the numbers show him that Allen Iverson is one of the most efficient scorers in the N.B.A. when he goes to his right; when he goes to his left he kills his team.

The Golden State Warriors forward Stephen Jackson is an even stranger case. "Steve Jackson," Battier says, "is statistically better going to his right, but he loves to go to his left - and goes to his left almost twice as often."

The San Antonio Spurs' Manu Ginóbili is a statistical freak: he has no imbalance whatsoever in his game -- there is no one way to play him that is better than another. He is equally efficient both off the dribble and off the pass, going left and right and from any spot on the floor.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-38-176/Moneyball-Comes-to-the-NBA--Literally.html

mrcoon29
02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
ha! Of course, we all knew that deep down. Go Manu!

Deimosfobos
02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
So, another stat that proves even more, something we knew since the first day we watch him play... Manu is a freak...

BlackBellamy
02-14-2009, 06:27 PM
How does one guard the wind? ahem, but seriously... If I'm put on the spot in having to find one word to describe Manu's game I'd have to use 'unpredictable'. You can't really guard him unless you're psychic 'cause it seems 90 percent of the time nobody know where he's going, teammates and Pop included. By far my favorite Spur to watch and marvel at.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-14-2009, 07:12 PM
The San Antonio Spurs' Manu Ginóbili is a statistical freak: he has no imbalance whatsoever in his game -- there is no one way to play him that is better than another. He is equally efficient both off the dribble and off the pass, going left and right and from any spot on the floor.

I've been saying that for years in arguments with people who say he's only got a left hand. Nice to get the statistical vindication! :D

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Ginobili has also been consistently in the top 5 clutch scorers in the NBA since 2005. A true Freaky Genius! :toast

Sec24Row7
02-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I love how announcers always say... "you have to stop him from going left"... They need to watch him more... He's so multidimentional it's stupid.

Manu-of-steel
02-15-2009, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=Sec24Row7;3111002]I love how announcers always say... "you have to stop him from going left"... They need to watch him more... He's so multidimentional it's stupid.True! if stopping manu from going left is effective, he should have been neutralized long time ago.

Nathan Explosion
02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
The problem is, even if the announcers are right, stopping him from going left is easier said than done. He's so awkward that you can force him right, but if he's determined to go left, he'll find a way to go left.

That is, if he doesn't kill you first by blowing past you with his right.

m33p0
02-15-2009, 08:11 AM
MANU!

you can give him the 3 pointer since he's clanking in that department.

also, even if he goes right, he still finishes left. :lol

Manufan909
02-15-2009, 02:31 PM

I guess this is why he's my fave player. Subconsciously I knew he has no weakness... besides going out ALL the time. Being in 2nd or 3rd gear would work on occasion, but Manu only knows 4th and 5th.:toast

lefty
02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Janobliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
02-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Manu manu manu, ole ole ole, ole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingaroll44
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
he takes what the defense gives...and occasionally imposes his will

hater
02-16-2009, 04:06 PM
he's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gona get. good or bad

that is why he is got a bad ass reputation in the NBA. watching Manu is like watching a trapeze artist act, with no net

all_heart
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
he's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gona get. good or bad

that is why he is got a bad ass reputation in the NBA. watching Manu is like watching a trapeze artist act, with no net

HAHA Well said :lol

Betsy
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Ginobili is the best to me!!!!
:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Indazone
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Manu has the best balance of any NBA player I've seen. He is flexible and has great body control.

kuato
02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeap he´s great but ... Parker won an MVP and he goes to the allstar game , i cant understand that.

Manufan909
02-16-2009, 10:34 PM
What's so hard to understand, they're both great players.

kuato
02-17-2009, 01:42 PM
What's so hard to understand, they're both great players.
If you compare what Manu aport to the team and what Parker does , there is no doubt who is the better player.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
aport?

kuato
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
aport?
Sorry, language fail, replace that non existent word with "contributes" :bang , so ... if you compare manu´s contribution with parker´s contribution you can clearly see who is the best player. Sorry for my bad english, im an ignorant person.

Manufan909
02-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Ok, and they have both contributed comparably, but hence my name, I can't exactly be considered unbiased.