exstatic
02-14-2009, 05:54 PM
The
Exstatic
Sports
Prognosticator
Network
sez...

No VC, no 'Sheed. Look for a small one for one or two for one trade to bring in a serviceable big for the playoff run. Joe Smith is likely because he doesn't cost much, OKC ain't goin' nowhere, and Presti is a friend. Everyone else (BOS,CLE) seems to want him for their run, but they are hoping to catch him in a buyout.

Think, people. The Spurs have NEVER made a huge roster-busting in season deal in the Popovich era. Why should they start now when they are holding second place in the WC?

The_Worlds_finest
02-14-2009, 05:56 PM
NO If WE WANT TO WIN WE HAVE TO TRADE THE WHOLE TEAM FOR ONE PLAYER!!!!

DUMBASSS
VVVVVVVV

SequSpur
02-14-2009, 05:56 PM
you're still damaged goods.

exstatic
02-14-2009, 05:57 PM
you're still damaged goods.

Sez you, Crown-clown.

itzsoweezee
02-14-2009, 05:57 PM
joe smith is not a bad option

xtremesteven33
02-14-2009, 06:00 PM
This whole rumor started with Chris Duels radio show. It seems illogical but not impossible.

We are basing most of our hope on what they said on the radio show.

mexicanjunior
02-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I would be onboard with Joe Smith...

Rogue
02-14-2009, 06:04 PM
No VC, no 'Sheed. Look for a small one for one or two for one trade to bring in a serviceable big for the playoff run. Joe Smith is likely because he doesn't cost much, OKC ain't goin' nowhere, and Presti is a friend. Everyone else (BOS,CLE) seems to want him for their run, but they are hoping to catch him in a buyout.

Think, people. The Spurs have NEVER made a huge roster-busting in season deal in the Popovich era. Why should they start now when they are holding second place in the WC?
that's just why the spurs should do some trade to re-gain the first place that is being occupied by a team which is led by a turd-eater.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2009, 06:06 PM
From TD ...

"No offense to Vince, obviously he's an excellent player," he said. "We'd love to have him. But to give up most of our team to add one guy, I don't think that's the way you want to go. It's a long season and we have a lot of guys who have been here a long time and understand the way we want to play. Just to insert one new piece and try to teach him in half a season the way we want to play isn't the way that we work."

Timmy agrees to no VC.

Duncan2177
02-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Does Joe Smith have anything even left in him?

Tully365
02-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I'd be ecstatic if the Spurs got two decent role players, especially if their combined heights measured somewhere around 13'6".

Maurice Clarett
02-14-2009, 06:08 PM

You are funny!
:bking:bking:bking:bking:bking

Spur-Addict
02-14-2009, 06:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with shooting for the Moon. But, for once, i'd like to actually attain the Moon. If we land in the stars again, then so be it.

Tully365
02-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Joe Smith averages 6.6 pts & 4.5 rebs in 19 minutes a game, which is exactly what I was hoping for from Mahinmi in pre-season estimates... he could be traded for Bowen + a second round draft pick or two in the same scenario as K Thomas last year, where Bowen immediately gets cut and returns to the Spurs a month later, though the NBA front offices might not like that.

Duncan2177
02-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Joe Smith averages 6.6 pts & 4.5 rebs in 19 minutes a game, which is exactly what I was hoping for from Mahinmi in pre-season estimates... he could be traded for Bowen + a second round draft pick or two in the same scenario as K Thomas last year, where Bowen immediately gets cut and returns to the Spurs a month later, though the NBA front offices might not like that.

They sure liked the Gasol trade though.

Tully365
02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
They sure liked the Gasol trade though.

In retrospect, the Pau trade wasn't as bad as it originally looked. Memphis got Marc Gasol and he looks pretty damn good, and will still be getting a 1st rnd pick for Crittenton, and now have the lowest payroll in the NBA. Their chance to compete in the coming years is actually better than it was.

smrattler
02-14-2009, 06:24 PM
From TD ...

"No offense to Vince, obviously he's an excellent player," he said. "We'd love to have him. But to give up most of our team to add one guy, I don't think that's the way you want to go. It's a long season and we have a lot of guys who have been here a long time and understand the way we want to play. Just to insert one new piece and try to teach him in half a season the way we want to play isn't the way that we work."

Timmy agrees to no VC.

Where is that quote from? Link?

Texas_Ranger
02-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Where is that quote from? Link?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11577

smrattler
02-14-2009, 06:36 PM
I still think the whole Spurs interest in VC is just them working with the Nets to get them a good deal from one of our "rivals". We already heard about the Mavs interest, throwing in Josh Howard to make it work. Now the word is Houston wants to get in on this?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=517424

They are offering Ron Artest as the key piece. Word is that Ron and TMac aren't getting along and Ron calls him out, etc. I'm with Ron on that one.

But if they want to part with him and I think he's expiring, right? Well...

If that goes down, the Nets have no use for Ron. Cut him to give him a chance to look for a contender for the remainder of the year. A contender that he could get playing time with, that needs a physical defender and rebounder from the SF position, that happens to play in the same state as the team he might want to give a big F***-You to.

And it costs us? Nothing. I like it. Pipe dream, but hey, a lot of these ideas with Sheed and VC are not much more than that as far as I'm concerned.

kace
02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
From TD ...

Timmy agrees to no VC.

does it mean the end of any big trade ??

not that i worry about it, but i guess Tim knows what the FO has in mind and he seems to say that no big trade will happen, not only the VC one.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-14-2009, 06:56 PM
The
Exstatic
Sports
Prognosticator
Network
sez...

From TD ...

Timmy agrees to no VC.

OMG, people making sense!?!? :nope :rollin

Joe Smith is pretty much the best we can hope for. He's still got gas in the tank, decent rebounder, good 15ft jumper, blocks a few shots - he could be our PJ Brown.

However, I'm not for sending Bruce away because you can bet the other team would want to keep him away from us... unless its OKC, maybe. Just seems like a risky thing to do with our 'cooler'. If we did send Bruce and he got cut and came back, given that we've already done this recently with the same team, is there anything the rest of the league could do to sanction us? Just seems like blatant old boys' network collusion that the league might not look kindly on.

tempest186
02-14-2009, 07:47 PM
There's nothing wrong with shooting for the Moon. But, for once, i'd like to actually attain the Moon. If we land in the stars again, then so be it.

I`d like Jamario Moon too. Good defender, plays hard. He`d fit right in except for that whole just traded to Miami thing.

m33p0
02-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Excessive
Sucking
Pandering &
Nuthugging

SenorSpur
02-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Some here don't like Joe Smith, but he's an experienced player that could quite possibly provide what the Spurs need. A player that can rebound, block an occasional shot, score around the basket and basically provide a frontline support against teams like Fakers, Blazers and Nuggets. Even if he's only an average big at this point in his career, that may be enough to suit what the Spurs need for the playoffs. A contributing, role-playing, big.

Besides that, he's a low-cost, inexpensive option, whose contract comes off the books this offseason. Heck, he would tide the Spurs over until they can make a run at Sheed this offseason.

ss1986v2
02-14-2009, 11:29 PM
i have always liked joe smith. and i think he could bring something to this team. im just not sure hes all that much better than the options we have now. hes almost exactly what KT was last year. last year, KT was averaging about 8 & 9 in about 25 minutes. joe is averaging about 7 & 5 in 19 minutes. both have nice 15 ft jumpera. both are on the tail end of their careers (KT was 35, joe is 33). and both were on expiring contracts.

plus i dont think we have much to offer. and what we do have of value, im not sure id want to lose for joe smith (splitter, 2011 1st, ect).

spurs1990
02-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Um, maybe because the goal is not 2nd place in the WC - IIRC, we accomplished that feat in 2008, and I didn't care for it much.

As it stands, you really think this roster will win 4 games against the Bryant/Bynum/Gasol led Laker squad in May?

Let's add Vince to Parker, Duncan, & Gino, and I really like our chances to keep the odd year streak alive.

exstatic
02-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Um, maybe because the goal is not 2nd place in the WC - IIRC, we accomplished that feat in 2008, and I didn't care for it much.

As it stands, you really think this roster will win 4 games against the Bryant/Bynum/Gasol led Laker squad in May?

Let's add Vince to Parker, Duncan, & Gino, and I really like our chances to keep the odd year streak alive.

Except that SA didn't finish second last year, they finished third and had a monstrously tough second round road series that ended with an overnight on a plane on the way to LA. I don't think there is anyone in the West to give us that kind of series this year before we would match up with LA, so YES, I think we can win 4 games against LA.

The problem with any of these 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 trade scenarios is that even if we get a player or two back, it won't be for 30 fucking days, requiring our older players to burn many more minutes in the regular season than they should to keep their positioning until the help arrives. That leaves less gas in the tank for the playoffs. Your swing rotation would be 96 minutes of Manu, Fin, and Carter. That's a lot to ask of 3 thirty-somethings. If any of them were to get hurt in the 30 day waiting period, we'd be totally fucked, having to go to Udoka or the rook.

phxspurfan
02-15-2009, 12:05 AM
So basically we're screwed?

exstatic
02-15-2009, 12:15 AM
So basically we're screwed?

Screwed? OKC is screwed. MEM is screwed.

Perspective, people.

phxspurfan
02-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Screwed? OKC is screwed. MEM is screwed.

Perspective, people.

I was at the game last night where Durant dropped like 50 on those rooks and was shooting from about 35 feet out. Green was catching alley-oops I think too. Westbrook wasn't half bad either, so they've got a bright future. They'll be just fine.

SequSpur
02-15-2009, 12:29 AM
From TD ...

Timmy agrees to no VC.

Exactly, the spurs are not going to give up the "quality home team guys" for anyone... including a legit big.

Rasheed is not coming here.

exstatic
02-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I was at the game last night where Durant dropped like 50 on those rooks and was shooting from about 35 feet out. Green was catching alley-oops I think too. Westbrook wasn't half bad either, so they've got a bright future. They'll be just fine.

Except they have all that, and have won exactly 13 games. The Rookie/Soph farce means nothing.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Um, because the Spurs got beat by the same Lakers last year and they'll have Bynum this time around.

Do you suffer from dementia?

exstatic
02-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Um, because the Spurs got beat by the same Lakers last year and they'll have Bynum this time around.

Do you suffer from dementia?

Ginobili was on one wheel, and the Hornets had their one wonder year, and gave use everything we could handle the round before. I'm also not sold on Bynum as a playoff force.

Do you?

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Ginobili was on one wheel, and the Hornets had their one wonder year, and gave use everything we could handle the round before. I'm also not sold on Bynum as a playoff force.

Do you?

The Hornets have not been healthy all year, ex.

Ginobili being healthy is negated by Bynum being around this year. He was kicking @ss before the knee injury, with a stellar month of double doubles.

Today you asserted that Sean Williams should be playing ahead of Brook Lopez and Josh Boone and now your courageously asserting that the Spurs won't trade for a star.

Somebody needs to send you off on an ice float. Your takes have been progressively worse.

Biggems
02-15-2009, 03:16 AM
The
Exstatic
Sports
Prognosticator
Network
sez...

Erroneous
Sports
Propaganda
Network

buttsR4rebounding
02-15-2009, 04:11 AM

This trade actually works for the Spurs for salary cap purposes as well. If Bowen comes back to the Spurs at less than his $4,000,000 for next year, say for the vet minimum that would put the Spurs payroll next season at around 65.5 million. The luxury tax will probably go up to somewhere between $73 and $75 million . That would leave plenty of room to sign Rasheed Wallace to the full MLE if he is so inclined and room to sign another vet minimum contract to round out the roster.

exstatic
02-15-2009, 10:43 AM
This trade actually works for the Spurs for salary cap purposes as well. If Bowen comes back to the Spurs at less than his $4,000,000 for next year, say for the vet minimum that would put the Spurs payroll next season at around 65.5 million. The luxury tax will probably go up to somewhere between $73 and $75 million . That would leave plenty of room to sign Rasheed Wallace to the full MLE if he is so inclined and room to sign another vet minimum contract to round out the roster.

Good thoughts, B4R, but I think that both the cap and the tax will go down next year. With the economy where it currently is and looks to be for a while, I can see BRI (Basketball Related Income, the number they use to determine the tax and the cap every year) plummeting.

GhostWhiner - If any of this is too complicated for you, just go rub one out to your Josh Boone poster. You really don't need any of this information to shriek incessantly at everyone like an old biddy.

rascal
02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Joe Smith will not get the spurs past the Lakers.