PDA

View Full Version : All-Star: Duncan Loathes Limelight (Hoopsworld)

duncan228
02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Kori quoted a piece of this earlier, I thought some might like to see all of it. It's always nice to get quotes from Duncan. :)

All-Star: Duncan Loathes Limelight (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11577)
By: Luke Byrnes

All-Star weekend in the NBA is supposed to be an honor of the highest level; a time when the world's best players are recognized for their years of hard work and dedication to their craft. But for some, like Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs, it has become commonplace.

Duncan, who has been named an All-Star in each of his 12 NBA seasons, is appreciative of the opportunity to play on the game's biggest stage against the best players in the world, but after so many years in the league and being involved with the All-Star festivities, Duncan puts a premium on getting some rest and focusing on the second half of the season.

"I wish it was a time to relax, but it's not," Duncan told HOOPSWORLD. "The game is still fun. I love playing in the game. I love getting out on the floor and playing with these guys that I have to compete against all year long. Everything else I could do without."

A model of consistency, Duncan continues to play at an extremely high level and remains one of the premier players in the league on both ends of the floor, averaging over 20 points and ten rebounds per game while anchoring a Spurs defense that remains one of the best in the NBA.

Despite turnover on the team's roster, Duncan and the Spurs went into the All-Star break with the second best record in the Western Conference, seemingly against all odds. Many writers and analysts expected the Spurs to fall back to the pack this season, but Coach Greg Popovich's squad continues to be one of the top teams in the NBA.

"Hopefully we get a chance to stay healthy and make a run at (another championship)," Duncan said of the second half of the season.

With the trade deadline approaching, rumors are beginning to swirl around the league, and San Antonio is no exception. Duncan believes that consistency among the roster is key to being successful in the long term, even when it comes to a player like eight time All-Star Vince Carter becoming a Spur.

"No offense to Vince, obviously he's an excellent player," Duncan said. "We'd love to have him. But to give up most of our team to add one guy, I don't think that's the way you want to go. It's a long season and we have a lot of guys who have been here a long time and understand the way we want to play. Just to insert one new piece and try to teach him in half a season the way we want to play isn't the way that we work."

The Spurs are poised for yet another deep playoff run this season and Duncan understands the impact of the development of teammates Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili on the team's chances at a fifth championship in ten years.

"I'd pay to go see Manu," Duncan said. "He's an exciting guy to watch and I have the ability to stand on the court and actually watch him play and see some of the plays that he makes.

"(Parker) is strong in that respect," Duncan said of the point guard's leadership. "I think it takes all of his time. I think my development was the same way. It took years to be comfortable and to say something. It took years to understand what to say and when to say it and it takes time to understand situations."

Whether the Spurs make a splash before the trade deadline or stand pat, San Antonio will be in contention for another title. Duncan will leave his All-Star reluctance in Phoenix and re-focus on another run at history.

BlackBellamy
02-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I work at 'The Limelight' here in town, what's Duncan's beef with us? Sorry, first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. :lol

Galileo
02-14-2009, 07:59 PM
"No offense to Vince, obviously he's an excellent player," Duncan said. "We'd love to have him. But to give up most of our team to add one guy, I don't think that's the way you want to go. It's a long season and we have a lot of guys who have been here a long time and understand the way we want to play. Just to insert one new piece and try to teach him in half a season the way we want to play isn't the way that we work."

great quote.

phyzik
02-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Not trying to instigate anything, I just find it curious why they would ask him about the Vince Carter rumors, and not the bigger rumor of Rasheed Wallace.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Not trying to instigate anything, I just find it curious why they would ask him about the Vince Carter rumors, and not the bigger rumor of Rasheed Wallace.

Because reports on Friday were that the Vince Carter rumors were heating up.

Galileo
02-14-2009, 08:11 PM

They might have asked him, but the editor cut it out before the story ran. If you've ever done a newspaper interview, usually only 5 or 10% of what you say makes the papaer.

Slinkyman
02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Since when is Mason and Hill "most of our team"? That's assuming where talking about the rumored trade where Oberto and Bowen get traded and cut.

wijayas
02-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Since when is Mason and Hill "most of our team"? That's assuming where talking about the rumored trade where Oberto and Bowen get traded and cut.

Duncan puts a high value on loyalty. Losing Mason, Hill, Bowen, Oberto just to get Vince is plain stupid.

exstatic
02-14-2009, 10:17 PM

Carter makes so much that it would take 4 or even 5 players salaries to match his, unless you're foolishly thinking of trading one of the big 3. That's what Tim is talking about