PDA

View Full Version : Mailman gets the call from Shaq

KoriEllis
09-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Mailman gets the call from Shaq

By Daily News wire services

www.dailynews.com/Stories...47,00.html (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2413747,00.html)

Honored by the Make-A-Wish Foundation on Sunday afternoon at Universal City Walk, Shaquille O'Neal made one wish of his own: For Karl Malone to join him in playing for the Miami Heat this season.

"I haven't talked to Karl yet, but I would like Karl to join me in Miami," O'Neal said. "So Karl, if you're watching, give me a call. And I'll bring you down to Miami as soon as possible. We got everything down there."

Malone remains unsigned, sought by the Lakers, Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Minnesota Timberwolves. The Lakers have remained confident that the 41-year-old forward will re-sign with them.

O'Neal was presented with the Make-A-Wish Foundation's Superstar Award. He refrained from making any disparaging statements about Kobe Bryant or Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak in addressing the crowd that came out for the ceremony.

"L.A. will be my home," O'Neal said afterward. "I own a lot of real estate here, I have a lot of friends here. And I'll be back."

But O'Neal's fondness for the city does not extend to his former teammates. Asked if he would shake hands with everyone when he returns for a Christmas game at Staples Center, O'Neal said, "Some of them."

ducks
09-20-2004, 02:18 PM
oneal what are you afraid you can not win a title without kobe?
you want more help???????

From Way Downtown
09-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Why shouldn't he want more help? It only makes sense for Shaq to seek out the best help that you can possibly find -- and Mailman appears to be the best help still on the market.

I don't think Shaq left LA with the idea that he could beat teams 1 on 5 and win a title. . . .

ducks
09-20-2004, 04:03 PM
to prove he did not need kobe

From Way Downtown
09-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Winning without Kobe doesn't mean winning without any other talent on the team. I don't think that Shaq's call for Karl to come to Miami has anything to do with whether he's capable of winning a title without Kobe. If Shaq can win in Miami, he will have proven that he can win without Kobe. It's really pretty simple.

I guess you'd have Shaq demand that Dwayne Wade be traded, too? It would seem to be necessary under your conditions for proving "that he did not need Kobe."

On top of that, from my perspective, the "I can win without him" battle is more about Kobe proving he can win without Shaq and much less about Shaq proving that he can win without Kobe.

sportcamper1
09-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Shaq is not afraid of anything that walks...

iminlakerland
09-20-2004, 06:42 PM
On top of that, from my perspective, the "I can win without him" battle is more about Kobe proving he can win without Shaq and much less about Shaq proving that he can win without Kobe

But what did shaq win without kobe? Hey he had Penny they went to the finals but did they win? So has shaq won without kobe? No! Look i dont understand why this is such an issue. Neither player has won a title without the other. Bottom line.

From Way Downtown
09-20-2004, 06:47 PM
No, I definitely agree with you. It's just my perception that Shaq is not on some mission to prove that he can win without Kobe; I do think that Kobe is desperate to prove that he can win without Shaq.

. . . and ultimately, I'm still not sure what the Kobe/Shaq drama has to do with the merits of Shaq wanting Karl Malone to join him in Miami -- it sounds to me like Shaq is playing "The Big GM Helper" on this one.

iminlakerland
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Actually Shaq is on a huge mission to prove that the lakers screwed up (which i think they did in a way). He goes to miami loses all the weight and for why? Because he wants to get back at Kobe and the Lakers. He wants to prove to the lakers and to everyone the mistake that was made.

ducks
09-20-2004, 07:16 PM
shaq asked to be traded
he is the one that forced the hand
he went public and demanded the max and would not get in shape

From Way Downtown
09-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Because he wants to get back at Kobe and the Lakers. He wants to prove to the lakers and to everyone the mistake that was made.

I agree with you about that. I think my point on who's trying to prove what to whom is a bit more subtle, but it's not worth parsing out here.

What I don't understand is ducks' problem with Shaq's desire to have Mailman in Miami. I still haven't read any quotes from Shaquille indicating a belief that he could win an NBA title without any talented players around him. It seems to me that if Shaq wants to win in Miami, he's going to try to get any help that he can, and Malone would certainly fit in that category. So (he reiterates) unless you're going to argue that Shaq should lobby for the Heat to trade Dwayne Wade for a bunch of future second rounders, to completely divest the Heat of any talent other than Shaq, I don't see how you can really argue with Shaq's efforts.

SickDSM
09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
What did Penny do after shaq left? Nothing. Shaq made him the brandname that he was. I remember when his shoes were the hottest thing Lil' Penny, etc... all because of Shaq

Kevin Kaster
09-20-2004, 10:14 PM
What did Penny do after shaq left? Nothing. Shaq made him the brandname that he was. I remember when his shoes were the hottest thing Lil' Penny, etc... all because of Shaq.

Uh no, it probably had something to do with Penny going down with an injury that required microfracture surgery. :rolleyes

E20
09-20-2004, 10:34 PM
I'd still take Shaq over Kobe. You always start a franchise with a talented big unless if it's Micheal Jordan.

iminlakerland
09-20-2004, 11:39 PM
E20 I completely understand what you are saying. But seriously there were some issues on the Lakers that had to be dealt with. Shaq and his contract were one of them. Shaq has had many injuries through out his career and the latest one he had was cause for concern. The Lakers were very weary on signing him to a multi year max contract. The toe injury he has can be career ending.

Secondly the Lakers had a decision to make between Kobe and Shaquille O'neal. They either could have chosen to go with a younger and very good player or go with Shaq even with his age and injuries being one of the most dominant players ever.

I really dont like how it worked out. I would of loved to see Shaq and Kobe stay together. But it was clearly evident that that was not going to happen. The way it played itself out was horrible. But seriously for the long run I feel the Lakers made the best decision. We may not be title contenders for a while but a mark of a dominant and great franchise is being able to rebuild.

adidas11
09-21-2004, 01:29 AM
I agree Imalakerland,

Look people, the Lakers would have swam into dangerous territory if they would have resigned Shaq at the price tag that he was asking for. I mean, look at the Lakers for the past several seasons, BEFORE Kobe's new contract. They were basically limited to try and plug in weak positions with players who were basically unwanted by anyone else (Lyndsey Hunter, Samaki Walker), or former great players who are past their prime, and willing to play for next to nothing (Gary Payton, Karl Malone, Mitch Richmond). And that would have stayed the same if Shaq would have resigned. With the economics of today's NBA (read: CBA), the Lakers were limited by the cap. And Buss does not have the deep pockets like the Maloofs, Cuban, and Allen.

I mean think of it, how would the Lakers have looked this past season, if they did not receive two GIFTS in Payton and Malone? Now you're going to tell me that the Lakers could pull off a stunt like that every season afterwards? And not to mention, with Shaq DECLINING (remember, he turns 33 this upcoming season).

And trust me, I'm the biggest Shaq fan ever. And I was pissed to see both Shaq and Phil go. Personally, I would have preferred that the Lakers just not give Shaq an extension, and hold him for the final years of his current contract, and then let him go when it it expires. That way, they would have all of that cap room, they wouldn't be forced to trade for other bad contracts (read: Brian Grant), and they could still contend for a title next year. But Shaq was gone as soon as Phil was gone, and that's all she wrote.

Yes, the Lakers are not going to be a contender next season, but I think they will still make the playoffs. And they're doing their best to set themselves up for the future, so they can contend for championships down the road.

Tommy Duncan
09-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Look people, the Lakers lost Shaq so Laker fan is going to try to spin it into a good thing.

iminlakerland
09-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Can you read? If i could i would have kept both Shaq and Kobe. Do you understand that? Losing Shaq wasnt cool. But seriously think about what you just said.