PDA

View Full Version : Carter and Rasheed are not coming to SA

SpursDynasty
02-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Vince Carter is not coming to the Spurs, and if he did, he wouldn't make a difference. We'd probably be worse.

Rasheed would make a difference, but it's just not going to happen. I'm amazed at how big the Carter/Rasheed trade threads have gotten. Everyone and their grandma knows that it's just not going to happen. It's like saying Kobe will leave the Lakers. Not happening. Ever.

Nothing personal against all the people posting in those threads, but you are just wasting your time.

SequSpur
02-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Exactly, but if I ever see you at a game....lol

Ditty
02-15-2009, 12:39 AM
wrong believe me my friend i know alot more that you would know :)

SequSpur
02-15-2009, 12:40 AM
It doesn't add up.

Ditty
02-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Most likely true, cause I dont see SA clearing the bench to add a guy, but Im hoping we make a move without giving up Hill or Mason. It would be nice to add Wilcox or Joe Smith.....if we could find a way to grab one of them and maybe add another wing that would be sweet!

joe smith is trash if we get him im going to do this :bang

duncan228
02-15-2009, 12:42 AM
I posted this in the monster Carter thread, but it fits here too.

Duncan weighs in on rumored Carter deal (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/duncan-says-no.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Officially, Tim Duncan is not a member of the Spurs front office. But you can bet his comfort-level is taken into account when it comes to personnel moves. Gregg Popovich doesn't call his All-Star forward "The Franchise" for nothing.

So when Duncan weighed in Saturday on the whispers that the Spurs might be considering a four-player swap for Vince Carter, well, it carries some weight.

"No offense to Vince, obviously he's an excellent player," Duncan said told the Web site Hoops World during All-Star festivities in Phoenix. "We'd love to have him. But to give up most of our team to add one guy, I don't think that's the way you want to go."

Duncan, like Popovich, is big on what the Spurs call call "institutional knowledge." That should tell you a bit about where this deal is headed.

"It's a long season and we have a lot of guys who have been here a long time and understand the way we want to play," Duncan said. "Just to insert one new piece and try to teach him in half a season the way we want to play isn't the way that we work."

Duncan can rest easy. "Half the team" for Carter can't happen.

The rumored trade, which would have sent Roger Mason Jr., George Hill, Fabricio Oberto and Bruce Bowen to New Jersey for Carter, would not have been legal under NBA rules unless the Nets waived three of their own players first. Obviously, they aren't going to do that.

Spursfan092120
02-15-2009, 12:43 AM
It doesn't add up.

Neither did Pao Gasol for a ham sandwich, but it happened...if that can happen, so can this. I don't want Vince, but Sheed would be fantastic. Don't get on us for being hopeful and excited about our team possibly making a big deal to better themselves. If you get angry about fans getting excited about their team, you're not a fan of that team. Instead of getting on us for getting excited about possibilities, why don't you try to get excited about your team. Or are you one of those guys who insists on trying to rain on everyone's parade?

SequSpur
02-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Neither did Pao Gasol for a ham sandwich, but it happened...if that can happen, so can this. Don't get on us for being hopeful and excited about our team possibly making a big deal to better themselves. If you get angry about fans getting excited about their team, you're not a fan of that team. Instead of getting on us for getting excited about possibilities, why don't you try to get excited about your team. Or are you one of those guys who insists on trying to rain on everyone's parade?

Next to Duncan and Parker, Vince Carter is probably my most favorite player in the NBA. I am down, but I just don't see it happening and its a waste of time. Now, if there was some middle of the road big the spurs would be after, I could see it... I just don't see Sheed or Carter coming here for the bright spots the spurs have had this year, ie... Mason...

Sorry.

dbestpro
02-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Okay,let's look at it from a Detroit GM perspective. At the end of the year Sheed will leave and Detroit will get nothing They are not going to do well in the playoffs so you try to see what you can get. He comes off the books in 2009 but the good FA's are in 2010. You need some serviceable contracts that do not affect 2010. 2009 is not a good time for cap space as you may end up over paying for marginal talent. Enter Oberto, a top notch second string level center. Also, enter Bonner the top 3 point shooter in the NBA. Enter Mahinmi and Splitter, two young bigs who could blossom. Enter the fact that no one else is offering anything and you as any good GM would try to make the move to trade Wallace.

Universe
02-15-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't get how everyone is saying they are clearing the bench? They replace a starter with a more talented starter and lose a back-up point gaurd. Bowen and Oberto come back and are only left with a back-up point gaurd problem.

ss1986v2
02-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Neither did Pao Gasol for a ham sandwich, but it happened...if that can happen, so can this. I don't want Vince, but Sheed would be fantastic. Don't get on us for being hopeful and excited about our team possibly making a big deal to better themselves. If you get angry about fans getting excited about their team, you're not a fan of that team. Instead of getting on us for getting excited about possibilities, why don't you try to get excited about your team. Or are you one of those guys who insists on trying to rain on everyone's parade?

if the package la sent to memphis was a ham sandwich, then what we are offering up equates to a single slice of stale bread...

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Vince Carter is not coming to the Spurs, and if he did, he wouldn't make a difference. We'd probably be worse.

Rasheed would make a difference, but it's just not going to happen. I'm amazed at how big the Carter/Rasheed trade threads have gotten. Everyone and their grandma knows that it's just not going to happen. It's like saying Kobe will leave the Lakers. Not happening. Ever.

Nothing personal against all the people posting in those threads, but you are just wasting your time.

Wow.

What a b@llsy take.

"The Spurs front office will not trade for a star."

Riveting stuff, SpursDynasty.

What else you got, Nostradamus?

jermaine
02-15-2009, 01:12 AM
That slice of bread almost beat a healthy Nuggets team!! :toast I'll take a slice of that any day.

xtremesteven33
02-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Anythings possible.

Spursfan092120
02-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Next to Duncan and Parker, Vince Carter is probably my most favorite player in the NBA. I am down, but I just don't see it happening and its a waste of time. Now, if there was some middle of the road big the spurs would be after, I could see it... I just don't see Sheed or Carter coming here for the bright spots the spurs have had this year, ie... Mason...

Sorry.

Agreed..but if Detroit is willing to part with Rasheed, knowing he's going to be leaving next year anyway, why not get what you can for him, and at the same time, reward him for all he's done for the team by sending him to a team he wants to go, especially since SA is not only not in their division, but not even in their conference?

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:22 AM
The thing that stuns me is the anti-trade rationale of NOT trading your bench for one star.

That's exactly what you want to do.

The Spurs bench is Manu Ginobili.

The rest of them are castoffs or never weres.

Every couple years, the Spurs piece together a bench from spare parts.

Yet we have not brought in a star complement outside of the draft in 20 years.

But homers here prefer to keep role players instead of adding a star to Duncan's twilight years.

You people make me drink.

Spursfan092120
02-15-2009, 01:22 AM
if the package la sent to memphis was a ham sandwich, then what we are offering up equates to a single slice of stale bread...
Wait wait..so you're saying a dead eye shooter, a decent big, a potentially great point guard, and one of the best perimeter defensive players in the game (even though he'd probably be waived) is stale bread compared to Kwame Brown and Javaris Freaking Crittenton? You're kidding, right?

Spursfan092120
02-15-2009, 01:23 AM
That slice of bread almost beat a healthy Nuggets team!! :toast I'll take a slice of that any day.
Church

Spursfan092120
02-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Anythings possible.
Exactly...that's all I'm tryin to say..and dude keeps rainin on everyone's parade.

Spur-Addict
02-15-2009, 01:31 AM
wrong believe me my friend i know alot more that you would know :)

You are persistent with this.

ss1986v2
02-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Wait wait..so you're saying a dead eye shooter, a decent big, a potentially great point guard, and one of the best perimeter defensive players in the game (even though he'd probably be waived) is stale bread compared to Kwame Brown and Javaris Freaking Crittenton? You're kidding, right?

expiring contracts > non-expiring contracts
marc gasol >= mason
3 1st round pick > hill

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 01:33 AM
This isn't happening because it's not enough for Carter.

Rogue
02-15-2009, 01:38 AM
This isn't happening because it's not enough for Carter.
I would offer nets Josh Howard and gerald green for VC, and trade stack/fillers for Kaman, but I'm not the GM of our team who is unarguably an idiot.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Carter for Josh Howard has been floated out there. That's better than the Spurs deal, at least.

xtremesteven33
02-15-2009, 01:43 AM
We already have 3 All Star players who dominate the ball.

Mason is a shoe in for this system.

Rasheed Wallace puts this team over. Carter does not. Hes just another ball dominator (Who is very good) that we dont NEED right now.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 01:46 AM

Rasheed Wallace puts this team over. Carter does not. Hes just another ball dominator (Who is very good) that we dont NEED right now.
He doesn't dominate the ball.

xtremesteven33
02-15-2009, 01:57 AM
He doesn't dominate the ball.

hes a volume shooter and a facilitator.

We already have 3 of those players on our team.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:05 AM
hes a volume shooter and a facilitator.

We already have 3 of those players on our team.
16 shots per game on the Nets equates to volume shooting?

Duncan2177
02-15-2009, 02:16 AM
The thing that stuns me is the anti-trade rationale of NOT trading your bench for one star.

But homers here prefer to keep role players instead of adding a star to Duncan's twilight years.

Exactly, We would not be trading one of the big 3 people we are trading a role player for a star player. I like Mason but cmon this is Vince Carter were talking about here and plus the nets would waive Bowen and Oberto and the spurs would bring them back. I just hope Pop and Rc are really considering it this is really a no brainer move.

Thomas82
02-15-2009, 02:34 AM
If not Rasheed, we should go after Marcus Camby. I remember him being rumored to come to the Spurs last summer.

Austin_Toros
02-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Much of the spurs' success in recent years has been due to their role players. their role players make the spurs a great team. there is no way the spurs would have traded a bunch of guys for a "superstar"

Nathan Explosion
02-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Rasheed would be a better fit for the Spurs than Carter. Sheed can stretch the defense, play on the block when Duncan is on the bench, and play interior D alongside Duncan. Vince Carter's a good player (understatement maybe), but I don't think he has the heart of intangibles to help the Spurs deep into the playoffs. I've never seen it from him.

However, people keep mentioning about trading role players for superstars. I wouldn't want to trade younger role players and potential stars for a superstar on the wrong side of 30 who shades away from contact. That's why I wouldn't want Carter.

How many people have been clamoring for a good to great backup PG, and now that we have one in the making, people want to trade him away? No thanks.

MarHill
02-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Every couple years, the Spurs piece together a bench from spare part

Ghost Writer,

Bench players fill roles for that particular team and to lose a lot of your depth for one player...doesn't make sense!

So as good as Carter is....giving up a quarter of your team will not help you at all.

Even though many ST posters believe the Spurs' bench is trash.....however, they fit for this team and how the FO built it.

What are Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili?...those have been the best 2 complimentary players that Spurs have added in 20 years. Remember, 3 titles in 6 years.

I guess you forgot that!! :bang

MarHill
02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Exactly, We would not be trading one of the big 3 people we are trading a role player for a star player. I like Mason but cmon this is Vince Carter were talking about here and plus the nets would waive Bowen and Oberto and the spurs would bring them back. I just hope Pop and Rc are really considering it this is really a no brainer move.

What do Spurs fans want?

Absolutely Amazing....the FO has constructed a team to win 3 titles in 6 years and people act like this team has never won a title.

Gimme a break!! :bang

Are Spurs fans that spoiled or incredibly unrealistic??? Sheesh!!

The Spurs are not going to trade 1/4 of their team just to satisfy some Spurs fans fantasy player list.

It has to make financial sense and business sense and even though VC is a good player...gutting your team doesn't solve it.

Of course...they would like to have someone of VC's talent or Sheed's talent but this is a business and it has to make sense long term or you end up making a stupid trade like the Dallas Mavericks in the Kidd deal.

Look at what is happening in PHX. Bad trades can mess up your franchise and the Spurs have steered clear of that.

:flag:

mookie2001
02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
vc doesnt dominate the ball and he wouldnt volume shoot on the spurs

ManuTP9
02-15-2009, 04:15 PM
anything can happen

Duncan2177
02-15-2009, 04:47 PM
What do Spurs fans want?

Absolutely Amazing....the FO has constructed a team to win 3 titles in 6 years and people act like this team has never won a title.

Gimme a break!! :bang

Are Spurs fans that spoiled or incredibly unrealistic??? Sheesh!!

The Spurs are not going to trade 1/4 of their team just to satisfy some Spurs fans fantasy player list.

It has to make financial sense and business sense and even though VC is a good player...gutting your team doesn't solve it.

Of course...it would like to have someone of VC's talent or Sheed's talent but this is a business and it has to make sense long term or you end up making a stupid trade like the Dallas Mavericks in the Kidd deal.

Look at what is happening in PHX. Bad trades can mess up your franchise and the Spurs have steered clear of that.

:flag:

If not Carter then the spurs should try to get a defensive minded bigman, I hate to say it but i don't think with this current group we can beat the lakers and celtics in a seven game series even Pop stated that. I like Bonner but he's not the kind of player i would put next to Tim to battle the lakers in a seven game series but thats just my opinion.

MarHill
02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
If not Carter then the spurs should try to get a defensive minded bigman, I hate to say it but i don't think with this current group we can beat the lakers and celtics in a seven game series even Pop stated that. I like Bonner but he's not the kind of player i would put next to Tim to battle the lakers in a seven game series but thats just my opinion.

Of course they should get a defensive minded bigman...if they can. But trading 4 players just to get 1 doesn't make financial or competitive sense.

Even Tim Duncan said yesterday in his interview on ESPN radio...he would like to have someone like that beside him but he's understand the Spurs don't have the flexibility to get a big deal done this season.

Also, he felt they have a chance this season to win it all (I agree with him) if they can stay healthy. Health was a bigger concern to him...than getting someone else.

i LUV da SpURZ
02-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Nooo :'[ i rlly wantd sheed :'[ :'[ =[ =( :(

Mr Bones
02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I wonder what the plan for 2010 really is. I've assumed for awhile that the targets are Bosh or Dirk, because outside of those two FAs, there is only Udonis Haslem. I just don't see Lebron or D-Wade going to San Antonio. These are some 2009 free agents:

Chris Andersen (unrestricted FA)
Ron Artest (UFA)
Trevor Ariza (UFA)
Mouhamed Sene (UFA)
Joe Smith (UFA)
Chris Wilcox (UFA)
Marcin Gortat (Restricted FA)

I'd guess that Artest and Ariza will get more than the midlevel exception, so that leaves five players. Gortat is restricted and any offer could be matched by Orlando. Sene is somewhat similar to Mahinmi. Smith is a vet and might come cheap for one year if he hopes to get a championship. Wilcox is sketchy defensively. He doesn't fit the typical Spurs profile, but right now Andersen looks to me like the best option.

InK
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
My grandma said u dont know shit.

wisnub
02-15-2009, 05:42 PM
and this bullshit continues...we might look at trade which much closer, i dont know..Kaman for Finley and Bowen? probably this is also too much as well or even sucks team like Clipppers wont consider. Coz big trade aint happening. Maybe Chris Wilcox, but it will be like just dumping those two players though

Amuseddaysleeper
02-15-2009, 05:51 PM
oh well

bigdog
02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
THE SPURS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN CARTER. check my post in the other Carter thread.

I also doubt Sheed would come in any deal to the Spurs this year, but I can see him coming in the offseason.

rascal
02-15-2009, 07:11 PM

2 all stars. Manu is not an all star.

wisnub
02-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Manu did make an all star team couple of years ago

K-State Spur
02-15-2009, 07:34 PM

For the record, I'm not against grabbing a big gun in the right deal.

But we've watched the Spurs beat numerous teams that were more talented on paper, because the Spurs have a better concept of how they want to play vs. the opponent's knowledge of how they want to play.

Yet, it's amazing that some fans are willing to completely gut the team for that gun.

Does VC give the Spurs a much better chance of winning than Michael Finley? ABSOLUTELY.

Does having just VC & the Big 3, then having to fill out the rest of the roster with rookies and D-League journeymen that have little knowledge of the Spurs system put them any closer to a championship? I doubt it.

nadroj117
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Yeah Steve Nash isn't an All-Star lol ... once an all star always an all star... Ginobili's #'s per 48 mins year in and year out are good enough to be an all star, but Pop does such a great job at limiting his minutes which bring down his averages.

rascal
02-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah Steve Nash isn't an All-Star lol ... once an all star always an all star... Ginobili's #'s per 48 mins year in and year out are good enough to be an all star, but Pop does such a great job at limiting his minutes which bring down his averages.

True all stars play the minutes.

rascal
02-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Manu is not an all star. Just below an all star type of player.

TDomination
02-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Oh well. It was fun talking about it though.

rascal
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Not so. I don't care about Per #s. Not playing big minutes is not a positive thing when comparing to the true stars who play the minutes.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Quit making threads that seem like you know something when you don't know shit. ITs wonderful that you think this but there is no new information and despite what your saying there are several reports that something is happening.

I agrtee its very unlikely. I do not agree that its impossible. When I come on here I really do not appreciate having to read misleading threads liek this one and exstatic's. I like funktiger better anyway.