PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: All-Star Spotlight Increases Heat On Disappointing Suns

duncan228
02-15-2009, 12:37 AM
All-Star spotlight increases heat on disappointing Suns (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/All-Star_spotlight_increases_heat_on_disappointing_Sun s.html)
Mike Monroe

PHOENIX — Hornets officials were in town lobbying for another All-Star Weekend in the Big Easy in 2014.

I’m not sure Suns officials will ever want another one, not after their All-Star weekend focused an intense scrutiny on a franchise in disarray.

A year ago, All-Star Weekend was all about rebirth, both of a community and an NBA franchise. New Orleans’ big weekend went off without a hitch.

Phoenicians seem proud to have the All-Stars in town. Just don’t ask about the home team.

At the break, the Suns are ninth in the Western Conference, out of the playoff picture, but still close enough to maintain hope for better days.

Expectations, though, were for better things under new coach Terry Porter, who would demand more attention to defensive detail and slow the offense to a pace more suited for Shaquille O’Neal.

Because the trade deadline arrives on Thursday, rumors began swirling last week that the Suns were in the mood to make a dramatic change by moving All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire.

The most popular table at Friday’s media availability session didn’t belong to LeBron James or Kobe Bryant. Reporters were four- and five-deep around Stoudemire, asking the same questions about a 26-year-old, four-time All-Star, whose days with the Suns appear to be numbered in single digits.

Why in the world would the Suns want to trade you, Amare?

“I’m trying to figure out what the focus is. I’m not quite sure. I thought I was the future of the franchise, and we were trying to win a championship here. It doesn’t seem that way anymore.”

How do you rate the performance of your new head coach, Amare?

“Uh, I like Terry Porter. I think he brings to the table some intensity defensively. I think he can help us. But right now, it’s not working. We’ve got to make an adjustment.”

This much seems evident: The Suns didn’t plan on their collapse as a legitimate Western Conference title contender to coincide with a big weekend that had been intended as a celebration.

BlackSwordsMan
02-15-2009, 12:41 AM
why move the all-star to dallas next year then

Thompson
02-15-2009, 01:11 AM
When is San Antonio hosting the All-Star game again? For that matter, when did they last host it?

Rogue
02-15-2009, 01:16 AM
When is San Antonio hosting the All-Star game again? For that matter, when did they last host it?
San Antonio host it once in 95s, but hasn't made it yet this century. and I don't think at&t will be able to hold an all-star game before it gets necessary repairments and decoration.

BlackSwordsMan
02-15-2009, 11:07 AM
I went to the one in SA back when I was a kid. I remember they had a thing of shaq's foot you could put your foot on.

Flo-Rida
02-15-2009, 11:14 AM
They need to bring it to Miami!

Double-Up
02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
They need to bring it to NY, oh wait?

ducks
02-15-2009, 11:38 AM
porter or amare are gone by the tradedeadline

kcplayboi_26
02-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I went to the one in SA back when I was a kid. I remember they had a thing of shaq's foot you could put your foot on.

hahaha they had that this year, but with all the all stars foots

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-15-2009, 06:05 PM
porter or amare are gone by the tradedeadline

way to go out on a limb with that one.....